Joerger yells at Buddy

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Is it though? What if he was talking about a defensive assignment? Or arguing about the real estate market in Northern California? Maybe he was emphatically telling him that his teeth are impeccable. Tough to have an opinion on what we don’t know.
I doubt KD would have had such an expression on his face if it wasn’t something asinine, as it appears to be.

I doubt KD would have had such an expression on his face if it wasn’t something asinine, as it appears to be.
Yep, definitely didn’t have anything to do with D since we were in fouling mode. Joerger at times micromanages too much. Maybe he can take some pointers from Kerr

The only thing that bugged me about Joerger going off on Buddy was that he didn't let it go after the first spat and he kept on doing it the next time down the floor and during the free throws with Durant standing right there in the conversation too.

I don't think it's right to belittle your own guy like that (after you've already done it) right in front of a superstar like Kevin Durant. Joerger is the coach, he's supposed to make his point and then move onto focusing on the next play.

A coach should never be two plays behind like that and focusing on the negative when there is still a game to be won.

Overall Joerger is a good coach and I definitely want to keep him here as the coach but let's face it he can be kind of a dik sometimes. Case in point how he treats the media seemingly at random during random questions.

I trust Vlade knows more about everything that has gone on, is going on, and why things have turned around. There is no excusing it, through usage last year they nearly saw their prime talent completely tanked of all value. Was it acceptable or the plan? Who knows. All I can say is I believe in Vlade. He'll know how HIS team should be used and utilized and will find the right coach long term whether that person is here or isn't.

Just could not understand the end of the game? Yeah buddy got a shot to try with time expiring but that shot is not his best. After what ever the coach was complaining about I believe it made Buddy hesitate for the open three.

Why as some said didn’t Fox get the ball with everyone spreading out and if he couldn’t get to the basket at least we could of had a open look at the end.

This ones definitely on the coach. We have given away to many winnable games at the end.

Probably suprised he had such an open look. Buddy lacks vision and that put him off. Having 3 options from that point put him In a spiral and he chose the worst one. It happens
Fans almost always tend to overreact when a player misses the last shot or makes a bad play. I mean, each of the Warriors stars have done so numerous times — but they’re still great, no? Hell, while Steph Curry made 10 3’s he made some really bad passes that helped the KINGS stay in the game. He and Iguodala nearly choked the game away on that near turnover that likely would have resulted in a dunk had Barnes or Fox been able to get the ball.

These things happen. Buddy made a game winner against Detroit a few weeks ago and has made lots of clutch shots so it’s not like the guy is a bum. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

That said, I agree that whatever happened between Buddy and Coach Joerger is what caused Buddy to pause then pass up on the deep 3.

FWIW, even if Buddy had pulled the trigger and made it, the Warriors still would have had time to answer. There was 6 seconds when he faked the shot and there still would have been around 3 - 4 by the time the ball hit net. GSW had 2 timeouts remaining so no guarantee the KINGS win it.

I was ok with Buddy passing that shot up so that they’d have the last shot. I just wished he’d have passed it off to Bogie on the spin.

Probably suprised he had such an open look. Buddy lacks vision and that put him off. Having 3 options from that point put him In a spiral and he chose the worst one. It happens
We shall see. Tonight people clearly saw something, was it what it looked like? Who knows. Looked like it was a gun shy star after his coach railed him after hitting a huge game changing shot to Damian Lillard.

We shall see. Tonight people clearly saw something, was it what it looked like? Who knows. Looked like it was a gun shy star after his coach railed him after hitting a huge game changing shot to Damian Lillard.

Yeah, I’m not liking the look of this. DJ likely just evaporated any slim shot the KINGS had at attracting worthwhile FA’s. I mean, not only did Lillard say something but it was done right in front of KD.

I like DJ but this is a players league and he just upstaged one of his best players at the end of a game when he was shooting them back in. And the players around the league have taken notice.

Not good. At all. SMH.

Remember this moment should things get worse. DJ already has issues with assistant GM Brandon Williams and then of course has MB3 and his dad irked over playing time. Now with this situation with Buddy, I’m just wondering if it might start going downhill. You know none of the players in that locker room are gonna like what DJ did to Buddy.

I hope nothing major comes from this, of course, but not acknowledging it or the other incidents would be naive.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not liking the look of this. DJ likely just evaporated any slim shot the KINGS had at attracting worthwhile FA’s. I mean, not only did Lillard say something but it was done right in front of KD.

I like DJ but this is a players league and he just upstaged one of his best players at the end of a game when he was shooting them back in. And the players around the league have taken notice.

Not good. At all. SMH.
Yeah, it looked bad but hopefully that's all it was and it wasn't what it looked like. We have to give Dave Joerger the benefit of the doubt because normally he's overly trusting and will stick with someone even if their blowing it purely out of loyalty. Most coaches call a timeout after a team plays poorly for stretch and swap guys in and out then. Joerger is the type of coach that will stick with that unit until they get something and then pull them out on a positive note.

I've read some fans who watched the W's broadcast say that Coach was mad about how quick the foul on Curry happened after Buddy's shot, and that Buddy just happened to be the one to get the earful. Take that for whatever it's worth.

No, this wasn't a moral victory. It was a hard fought loss to the 5 all star champs that took big games from KD, and Wardell as well as us sucking from 3. Sucks. Good lessons learned for the first round.

I've read some fans who watched the W's broadcast say that Coach was mad about how quick the foul on Curry happened after Buddy's shot, and that Buddy just happened to be the one to get the earful. Take that for whatever it's worth.
No chance that’s what it was about. Buddy hit the shot with :18 to go and Klay got the ball into Steph almost immediately who was then fouled by Harrison Barnes — the only KINGS player near him. Coach was already chewing Buddy out when it happened.

DJ was clearly pissed about the shot, which went up about 2 seconds after the coach yelled out a play call (sounded like “three thirty-five”).

When I watched it over again, you can read DJ’s lips and he says something close to “I’m calling a play and you shoot a 40 footer?!”

No, this wasn't a moral victory. It was a hard fought loss to the 5 all star champs that took big games from KD, and Wardell as well as us sucking from 3. Sucks. Good lessons learned for the first round.
I think that's a complete BS excuse. There's a reason why Grant and Doug were literally right in front of them, but didn't offer any type of real insight of what was being said. Usually Grant will tell us about exchanges that go on, but he kept quiet about the words being exchanged.

I think that's a complete BS excuse. There's a reason why Grant and Doug were literally right in front of them, but didn't offer any type of real insight of what was being said. Usually Grant will tell us about exchanges that go on, but he kept quiet about the words being exchanged.
As I said, I didn't watch the W's broadcast. Also, I'm not sure who your implying is making an excuse here. I didn't say it, and I don't see why the Warriors broadcast should care. I brought it up in hopes someone who watched the Warriors broadcast could shed some light.

Edit: I dug up the clip to get more insight. It appears coach says something to the effect of " I draw up a play and you pull up for a 30 footer??"

Last edited:
As I said, I didn't watch the W's broadcast. Also, I'm not sure who your implying is making an excuse here. I didn't say it, and I don't see why the Warriors broadcast should care. I brought it up in hopes someone who watched the Warriors broadcast could shed some light.

Edit: I dug up the clip to get more insight. It appears coach says something to the effect of " I draw up a play and you pull up for a 30 footer??"

DC's look is priceless. Lol. I don't get Joergers issues with Buddy but there's always seemed to be something there IMO. You won't win that battle Dave.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Joerger done messed up. Hopefully Coach immediatly smoothed this over, because it isn’t a little thing and the it’s been obviously noticed.

Kings fans eat their own young, damn. Don't deserve nice things.

We have a coach who is probably the most wildly unpredictably successful in the league - exceeding projections by a larger margin than anybody. One of the acknowledged best in the NBA at drawing plays. Who has helped develop one of the most enthusiastic and cohesive locker rooms we have ever had. Who has developed young players in such a fashion that nobody could see the leaps coming from Fox, Buddy.. shocking the league and reshaping our image in one season. The first guy over .500 in a dozen years.

We have one of the best shooters in the league - one of the best shooters in Kings history, who last year was a klutz with the handle and this year is top 5 at his position. Who has won a buzzer beater vs Detroit and missed a couple too - but who can fill it up like nobody we've ever had including Peja.

And y'all are worried that this coach can't handle NBA personalities and that the star 2-guard has had his little feels ruined... that the coach may have wrecked our chance to attract a star player...over an encounter that you don't know hardly anything about unless you are a psychic or mind-reader.

Even if we had won on a 30 foot 3-ball, you guys would just save this stuff for another day too. It's just odd to me man - flame away.

WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST COACHES AND ONE OF THE BEST 2-GUARDS IN THE NBA!!! You can't win every game

SLAB

Hall of Famer
When there’s an obvious problem that happens on the floor, other players have noticed and called it out, and the home commentator notes “That is not good” of course it’s going to be a discussion point.

Just because we’re far exceeding expectations doesn’t mean everything is kumbaya and sunshine. This could be an issue is all I’m saying/

The Kings gave GS all they wanted. The Kings played defense and outrebounded GS. Bagley got 14 boards, Hield 7, Barnes 7, Giles 8 and Willie a measly 5. The Kings could not hit the 3 worth beans but were still right there at the end. That is impressive right there. The Kings play GS tough every game even at their place.

The Kings match up okay with GS. We ran their tails off. I was wrong about suggesting some Kofous and Swanigan. We wore out Cousins by the half.

Something very important happened in this game. The Kings have absolutely won the respect of the Warriors. The best moment was when Durant patted Bagley on the chest. That was recognition of his skill and belonging in the NBA. Durant has been acting like a human being lately. Glad to see it. Bagley was spectacular with the exception of getting stripped 5-6 times.

Coach J made a major mistake for giving Buddy the business for his decision. As a coach you do not take confidence away from your best players at the end of games. Your job is to instill it. John Wooden always talked about in the huddle at the end when you have a player ready to hit the foul line you use language like "after Joe makes these two free throws, will we press them."

The KIngs earned something much more important than a victory last night. And my respect for the Warriors took a great leap.

We have a coach who is probably the most wildly unpredictably successful in the league - exceeding projections by a larger margin than anybody. One of the acknowledged best in the NBA at drawing plays. Who has helped develop one of the most enthusiastic and cohesive locker rooms we have ever had. Who has developed young players in such a fashion that nobody could see the leaps coming from Fox, Buddy.. shocking the league and reshaping our image in one season. The first guy over .500 in a dozen years.

We have one of the best shooters in the league - one of the best shooters in Kings history, who last year was a klutz with the handle and this year is top 5 at his position. Who has won a buzzer beater vs Detroit and missed a couple too - but who can fill it up like nobody we've ever had including Peja.

And y'all are worried that this coach can't handle NBA personalities and that the star 2-guard has had his little feels ruined... that the coach may have wrecked our chance to attract a star player...over an encounter that you don't know hardly anything about unless you are a psychic or mind-reader.

Even if we had won on a 30 foot 3-ball, you guys would just save this stuff for another day too. It's just odd to me man - flame away.

WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST COACHES AND ONE OF THE BEST 2-GUARDS IN THE NBA!!! You can't win every game
Amen. Now get ready for all the takes about there are new expectations, we need to win every close game if we expect to make it into the playoffs. Heaven forbid the hate that will be spewed if we actually do get the 8th seed and then get swept in the first round.

couple of things..

first Joerger is 100% right, yeah Buddy hit that three, but he shouldn't have taken it if some other play was drewed. It is called discipline, but this is part of learning process for a young Kings.. also that yelling thing everybody made fuss about, it is nothing.. Joerger wants to do it old way, Pop style or what you see in NCAA with Calippar, or european coaches like Obradovic.. and I am sure he has backing from Vlade.. and for a young team I think tough love is only way to go.. It is not like Dave has anything personal against Buddy, if it is this he wouldn't draw last play for him.. and I am sure Buddy knows this, and whatever he does is to make players better.. Buddy is a good kid, he will learn from this.. so I do not see any reason for making something were it is not..

second, KD and Dame were extremely disrespectful towards Joerger and Kings organisation.. it is really none of their bussiness what happens in Kings yard and between Kings coach and players.. too bad nobody said anything about this..

Bagley is a beast in making, his ceiling is so high I do not think anybody can see it.. his upside from summer league is jos wow.. I still think Vlade was not crazy when he said he sees him as SF, in couple of years he might be able to be that.. but what I do not like is his sharing the ball, he must learn how to include other players into game, not just to think how he will finish..

also I believe Kings will miss PO this year.. but one thing is very encouraging if you are Kings fans.. GSW is one of best teams in history of this game, they are at the peak.. Kings are a young team on the rise, and although they lost all 4 games, all of them were very very close..

couple of things..

first Joerger is 100% right, yeah Buddy hit that three, but he shouldn't have taken it if some other play was drewed. It is called discipline, but this is part of learning process for a young Kings.. also that yelling thing everybody made fuss about, it is nothing.. Joerger wants to do it old way, Pop style or what you see in NCAA with Calippar, or european coaches like Obradovic.. and I am sure he has backing from Vlade.. and for a young team I think tough love is only way to go.. It is not like Dave has anything personal against Buddy, if it is this he wouldn't draw last play for him.. and I am sure Buddy knows this, and whatever he does is to make players better.. Buddy is a good kid, he will learn from this.. so I do not see any reason for making something were it is not..

second, KD and Dame were extremely disrespectful towards Joerger and Kings organisation.. it is really none of their bussiness what happens in Kings yard and between Kings coach and players.. too bad nobody said anything about this..

Bagley is a beast in making, his ceiling is so high I do not think anybody can see it.. his upside from summer league is jos wow.. I still think Vlade was not crazy when he said he sees him as SF, in couple of years he might be able to be that.. but what I do not like is his sharing the ball, he must learn how to include other players into game, not just to think how he will finish..

also I believe Kings will miss PO this year.. but one thing is very encouraging if you are Kings fans.. GSW is one of best teams in history of this game, they are at the peak.. Kings are a young team on the rise, and although they lost all 4 games, all of them were very very close..
Im not sure if Dave was getting into Buddy about the shot though as opposed to the fouls.

It could be a mixture of both but the reality is we dont know.

Im not sure if Dave was getting into Buddy about the shot though as opposed to the fouls.

It could be a mixture of both but the reality is we dont know.
If you read his lips, it tells you he was yelling at Buddy for pulling the 3pt shot. Joerger yelled at Buddy in front of Doug and Grant. You could tell by Doug's face it was bad. Then Doug says on air "Well he did make the shot, it might not have been exactly what you want..."

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If you read his lips, it tells you he was yelling at Buddy for pulling the 3pt shot. Joerger yelled at Buddy in front of Doug and Grant. You could tell by Doug's face it was bad. Then Doug says on air "Well he did make the shot, it might not have been exactly what you want..."
And Grant says “... that’s not good.”

Marvin looked fantastic. Even his mistakes with not protecting the ball from Durant were rectified before the end of the game, prompting KD to give him props. I think he is already a beast and only going to get better. The way he sky's and fights for rebounds is awesome. His ability to get to the line, often as an And-1, is going to pay huge dividends going forward. The Warriors Bigs were on the verge of being in serious foul trouble at the end.

Buddy had an off shooting night that he is more than allowed to have. Yes he made a bad decision on the last play. It happens and you hopefully learn from it. He had at least two maybe three rebounds he flew in and snatched away from the Warriors giving us extra possessions. He even got a jump ball with Cousins.It has seemed this year when we play the Warriors that Buddy and Klay don't go off like normal. I think the match up takes a lot from both of them. They are constantly running without the ball.

Whatever went on between Buddy and coach is not a big deal to me in the grand scheme. They were clearly smiling after all was said, even KD. I am sure Buddy and Dave's relationship is still solid.

While I would like to win every game, it ain't gonna happen. We are so far ahead of where we were last year in record and in talent, I personally try and keep that in perspective even though human nature is to want more. We still have a good chance to make the playoffs this year, and I can't see us missing them next year at all barring something catastrophic.

Last night, Memphis before, and last year still happened. Can't wash it away, can't make it disappear. Like I said, I trust Vlade that he knows what's up and we all hope this was nothing more than a bump in the road. Wrong is wrong, period. And no, this still isn't a HOF level coach bringing a rag tag group of 2nd round fodder to prominence. He gets credit for all the good he's done and all the bad too. It's called being a coach. But giving too much credit to what's happening on the floor doesn't give Vlade and his staff nearly enough credit for assembling quite the roster that almost any coach would be jumping for joy over.

Another heart-breaking loss.

I rather see the Kings lose by 10-15 points than losing a close one.
I rather see the Kings lose by taking that deep 3 and miss than not taking it.

There is a emptiness inside....and it is "incomplete."

I do blame on the coach somewhat on some of these close games though. I think he play a part on them and I am going to tell you why:

Nobody, I mean nobody (not even the coaches) have the right to tell Buddy Hield where to shoot and when to shoot the ball. Buddy Hield have EARNED that right this season!! He was shooting like Steph Curry this year...so every time he shoot...no matter where...you expect them to go in. But for a coach to tell the player...no no no don't shoot that early and especially that deep because we got to run some play first. Now I can understand if Hield is missing that deep shot...then you can get into his ears. But if he made the shot and you still in his ear? That send the wrong message. And I think that explain why Buddy Hield hesitated when he was wide open for a deep winning shot. Imagine the coach not telling Buddy Hield to take that deep 3 earlier, do you think Buddy will take that last winning deep 3 without hesitation? Hell yeah!! So that's why I said the coach play a part in losing this game. Now, i know Buddy Hield do have a tendency to take quick shots or looking for his own shots...but as one of the best shooters in the league I don't really mind and I just hope this coach would give him a break. That is why Steve Kerr don't go up and yell at Steph, Klay and KD for taking long shots anymore. Why would they? They're the best shooters in the world.

In Denver game, this coach did not put the right lineup on the floor at the end to counter what the Denver had out there. He had Gile on Jokic. Really? That's like coaching to lose and that's why the Denver were able to make some run. The coach should have put Willie in as soon as he see Jokic in at least make it tough for him with his length. He did put Willie back in but that was when the damage had been done. Not only Denver have Jokic, they have Plumlee in the game at the end of the stretch. Imo, it would be better off to put Willie and Bagley to counter Jokic and Plumlee. If this coach play smart substitution, the Kings would have a chance to come away victorious. It sucks to see this as a fan because to see a team play so well and giving them chances to win only to be destroyed by bogus substitutions. This is not the only first time I seen that, i seen other close home games as well.

Last edited:
And Grant says “... that’s not good.”
Interesting. If thats the case obviously not a good look/vibe moving forward.

Coaches are a rare breed. None subscribe to conservative wisdom, all rule with an iron fist.

Is it just me or does it seem like in general Dave Joerger treats Kayte like garbage in the post game interviews and hardly ever gives a decent answer to her questions? Normally they are short blunt answers with a hint of indignation . She asked two questions in this post game interview and his answers were similar in both of them especially the second one.

I've noticed this in several other post game interviews as well. The feigned annoyance on his part is not well placed considering Kayte's knowledge of the game, the fact she played, and the fact she's the teams sideline reporter watching the entire game.

Overall I like Dave as a coach but he tries to hard to be a Popovich or a Belichick sometimes.

Is it just me or does it seem like in general Dave Joerger treats Kayte like garbage in the post game interviews and hardly ever gives a decent answer to her questions? Normally they are short blunt answers with a hint of indignation . She asked two questions in this post game interview and his answers were similar in both of them especially the second one.

I've noticed this in several other post game interviews as well. The feigned annoyance on his part is not well placed considering Kayte's knowledge of the game, the fact she played, and the fact she's the teams sideline reporter watching the entire game.

Overall I like Dave as a coach but he tries to hard to be a Popovich or a Belichick sometimes.
I don't think it's anything personal, I think he's just kind of a jerk in general to the media when he doesn't really want to talk. I remember this came up earlier in the season and Kayte went on Carmichael Dave's show and completely shot it down saying they have a great relationship.