Jazz @ Kings Game Thread - 4/6/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I can name a few things. While we should be losing more than winning, outright tanking can suck the winning culture from a franchise. The belief that one draft pick will save everyone's ***, but until then, complete complacency.

And this wasn't just any win. It was won by the youth, as in the future? We want them to be successful and keep that hunger alive. Remember Shareef, who had all his competitiveness sucked out of him because of losing. It gives me hope to see that the youth can be so energetic even through such a losing season. I think it benefited guys like Ronnie and Justin that went undrafted because it gave them a hunger that is very refreshing to see.

In the end, it's all about walking the fine line between winning and losing to keep the future bright.
There's is no fine line to be walked. That's just made up stuff to try to fight the ick. What kills a "winning culture" is losing year after year after year. That's the killer. One year of losing, or even tanking, is irrelevant. Just ask the Spurs. Hell a decade of losing is irrelevant if you get the talent in town -- just ask Dallas. Or for that matter, us. This is a rebuilding year, very few of these players should be back. The coach should not be back. Whether they win or lose is irrelevant to any future culture we have. Everything should be about keeping it short. And the best damn way to keep it short, to make it a one year event, is to lose big and get a stud. You get a stud, no amount of losing culture is going to stop you. Not if you're Cleveland, or Denver, or the TWolves or whoever.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HighFlyingMonkey - I agree with you. It's not about the future. It's about the rest of the season for the young kids especially. They aren't going to win that many more games. Luckily we only have 7 more games before this ridiculous argument will be over.

Hrm...

I was going to talk about the game and how much fun it was to see the youngsters go out there and really play hard but somehow, after reading this thread, I've lost all interest in sharing the excitement I had...

And you know what? That's a shame...

How did it feel to see Williams get like 5 blocks(although they only credited him with 3) live?:D

Hrm...

I was going to talk about the game and how much fun it was to see the youngsters go out there and really play hard but somehow, after reading this thread, I've lost all interest in sharing the excitement I had...

And you know what? That's a shame...

That is why I stopped reading somewhere at the end of the 3rd / beginning of the 4th. In the past, I LOVED to come to this board to share my excitement and love for the kings with other passionate kings fans. Now I cringe more reading some of these posts more than I cringe at some of the games we have played this season. I am not even referring to the arguments on the importance of winning or losing due to draft picks. Our overall tone as fans disappoints me. I really thought that we were better fans than this.

While I still on my soapbox, I HATE all of the snide comments about Miller and Bibby. They may not be the players they once were or even they players we tought they were, but they have given me way too many amazing moments as a Kings fans to treat them like trash that needs to be taken to the dumpster. Everyone has an opinion on their need to be traded or not, as we have every right to have. The way in which we sometimes voice those opinions bothers me.

Sorry for the lecture. Maybe it would just be better of me to block some poeple's posts or just wait until next season to visit everyday.

I don't get it. What's so bad about rooting for a loss in order get a good draft pick when all other hope is lost?

Last edited:
Chelle--thank you for posting what I have been thinking for quite a while. While only being a member for about 7 months, I was reading for a long time and this year has been really different. Cold, negative, player bashing, short-term memory posting some of the time. What ever happened to loyalty, team support in good times and bad and respect? You can make your point about any subject without name calling and negativity----if you want to----and that's the part that is disturbing! I read all of the posts and, like most, think most have real merit and forget the others. We have a real jewel in KingFans.com. Good for us! Annie.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Chelle--thank you for posting what I have been thinking for quite a while. While only being a member for about 7 months, I was reading for a long time and this year has been really different. Cold, negative, player bashing, short-term memory posting some of the time. What ever happened to loyalty, team support in good times and bad and respect? You can make your point about any subject without name calling and negativity----if you want to----and that's the part that is disturbing! I read all of the posts and, like most, think most have real merit and forget the others. We have a real jewel in KingFans.com. Good for us! Annie.

I second what Chelle had to say, and I like this post, as well, Annie. What many fans here have yet to learn is that it is not always what you say, but how you say it.

If you want the team to lose, that is great....and totally understandable considering the great draft coming up this year. I really get it...that looking for the future is paramount. What I don't get is the lack of loyalty that fans are showing. Loyalty, in my mind, is not about hoping to win every game, but loyalty to the players who have given their blood and sweat over the years. And don't even bother to bring up the old, "hey, they make millions, so we can say anything we want" crap. Treating human beings with decency and respect should not be about how much or how little they earn. If we are going to call ourselves fans, we can at least support our players. That means take the name calling, rudeness, and meanness out of our conversations with other fans.

And that is my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I agree. That was the best game of the season. The Kings won that one on pure guts and effort - and maybe a little luck. Watching the young guys go all out is pure entertainment! I'll worry about the draft pick later. That might have been the only Kings game this season I actually got into. Kudos to the young guys.
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... muss had all season to play these "youngsters" yet, he obviously was forced to play them bc the season is over. what a Moron.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How did it feel to see Williams get like 5 blocks(although they only credited him with 3) live?:D
Justin Williams is FUN! He's got heart, he's got hustle, he is constantly on the move and in the action.

I watched the game last night after I got home and was more than a little disappointed about the coverage. You really don't get a true idea of just how much fun it was to watch the kids... the ovation Justin received when Musselman finally took him out to give him a rest was HUGE.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I second what Chelle had to say, and I like this post, as well, Annie. What many fans here have yet to learn is that it is not always what you say, but how you say it.

If you want the team to lose, that is great....and totally understandable considering the great draft coming up this year. I really get it...that looking for the future is paramount. What I don't get is the lack of loyalty that fans are showing. Loyalty, in my mind, is not about hoping to win every game, but loyalty to the players who have given their blood and sweat over the years. And don't even bother to bring up the old, "hey, they make millions, so we can say anything we want" crap. Treating human beings with decency and respect should not be about how much or how little they earn. If we are going to call ourselves fans, we can at least support our players. That means take the name calling, rudeness, and meanness out of our conversations with other fans.

And that is my 2 cents.
I think that some players are supported a lot and others very little, depending on the amount of effort that we see on the floor, and the amount of team orientation they show. Thomas, for example is a player I have no loyalty toward whatsoever. I'll be opening the door for him on the way out. Corliss, he's just the opposite, and it's very rare to see on this board anything said about him because he's a pro - winning, not his personal stats, is his number 1 objective; everytime he plays he goes all out. John Barry was just like him.

Also, I've noticed that some fans have more loyalty toward the team, whereas others have more of a loyalty toward individual players. It's very politically incorrect for me to say it, but I've noticed that the women in my circle of life are much more oriented toward individual players - they have their pictures up on their bulletin board's,etc., and they lose interest in the team if "their" players are traded (My wife is the perfect example of this). The men are more interested in the team - players can come and go and they seem to accept that - but they want to have a winning team, and if means send some players packing, they have no problem with that. They are more cold than the women it seems. Just my 2 cents.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
^^^Well, that is quite a generalization, Kingster. It certainly does not fit most of the women I know on this board. Take a look at my avatar. That is me....standing next to my team's banner.....not a player. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Also, I've noticed that some fans have more loyalty toward the team, whereas others have more of a loyalty toward individual players. It's very politically incorrect for me to say it, but I've noticed that the women in my circle of life are much more oriented toward individual players - they have their pictures up on their bulletin board's,etc., and they lose interest in the team if "their" players are traded (My wife is the perfect example of this). The men are more interested in the team - players can come and go and they seem to accept that - but they want to have a winning team, and if means send some players packing, they have no problem with that. They are more cold than the women it seems. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry, but I have to disagree also. I've been a fan of the SACRAMENTO KINGS since the beginning. Players come and go, the team abides. However, I do try and always support the players who are currently wearing the uniform. I have had favorites, of course, but the vast majority of memorabilia in my home (and believe me, there's tons of it) is team oriented.

Wow, quite a generalization there. Have I been attached to some players more than others? Yes. Has it been hard to see certain players gone? Yes. But its the team that matters to me. First, last and always. I'll get attached to any player that does right by the team, the fans and the city they represent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a couple of pictures from the game.

During warmups:

Before the kids took the court:

For the guys:

Status
Not open for further replies.