Jamaal Magloire

If the Kings could some how aquire this guy through some kind of trade, I think the Kings get back to being one of the 4 best teams in the NBA b/c this guy can flat out play. He's 6'11,very strong, can pass, defend, rebound, and score. What do you guys think?

Starting lineup
C-Magloire
PF-Brad
SF-Peja
SG-Wells
PG-Bibby

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Young big men command substantial compensation. I don't think we have the pieces to trade for him.

^ Yeah, I don't think the Kings have the pieces. That said, he can do everything you listed, except pass. So yeah, he'd be a great addition for the Kings' needs, and he's still very young.

lol yeah I just threw that in their, but hey people didn't know that Brad Miller was such a great passer until he started playing for the Kings, so you never know.

That would be one of the slowest froncourts in the league. Both Malgoire and Brad are slow and aren't great shot-blockers. Malgoire would be good but not THAT good.

I think Magloire is faster than people at this site give him credit for and he's at least a better shotblocker than Brad. I'd even say he's a better shotblocker than Skinner (who people fell in love with last season). He's definitely a solid rebounder and a guy who looks to finish strong around the bucket. You look at his field goal percentages and they're kind of low for a center/power forward but I think he'd get easier opportunities and not have to create his own shot very often as a King.

I have no idea what it'd take to get him away from the Hornets. What's their plan? Do they have a plan? Do they even care? If they don't care about winning anytime soon, he could be had for some spare parts and maybe a conditional pick. If they do care about winning, then he's not getting moved unless a special deal comes along, the type of deal we can't offer.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Čarolija said:
That would be one of the slowest froncourts in the league. Both Malgoire and Brad are slow and aren't great shot-blockers. Malgoire would be good but not THAT good.
I agree with this assessment, but it still might be a thought. We would be painfully slow, but big, and Magliore is a tough guy, if not a great shotblocker. He'll body you and bang you and I'm fairly certain Jerome James looks like, well, Jerome James against him. There are things I would be more excited about, but also worse things. At least we would have a big man able to stand toe to toe and eye to eye with Duncan. Of course on the other hand we'd have nobody at all able to stay with Amare, so this is again one of those things where if it was A move we made, ok, see the upside as well as the down, but we would still have to make at least one more to bring in a mobile athlete and shotblocker up front.

As an aside, Magliore has been rumored to be available, so it is one of those things that might actually be possible to do if we were serious.

it would be nice to have the term big men, used with our front court for a change. Magloire is a good scorer and rebounder, and i think about 6'11 so it would be a good fit but that would mean trading our bench and a lot of it. probably kenny thomas, skinner, and i don't know, a pick or some money.

Bricklayer said:
As an aside, Magliore has been rumored to be available, so it is one of those things that might actually be possible to do if we were serious.
Magloire is available, but not necessarily for the Kings. New Orleans is on a youth movement, and from what I've read Magloire is being dangled for a young big like Dalembert or Chandler. They already have JR Smith at the 2 and so I'm not sure that Kevin Martin would be a big draw for them. I guess it's slightly, sliiiightly possible that they'd trade Magloire for Martin and Brian Skinner, but it seems unrealistic to me.

So yeah, I agree with you that it's possible, but I don't like our odds.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I saw Toronto's draft picks (especially Villaneuva) I thought they were drafting for New Orleans with the idea of dealing the pick(s) and change for Magloire. That would have made a lot more sense than say, drafting Chuckie V when Bosh is your franchise guy. . .

Bricklayer said:
I agree with this assessment, but it still might be a thought. We would be painfully slow, but big, and Magliore is a tough guy, if not a great shotblocker. He'll body you and bang you and I'm fairly certain Jerome James looks like, well, Jerome James against him. There are things I would be more excited about, but also worse things. At least we would have a big man able to stand toe to toe and eye to eye with Duncan. Of course on the other hand we'd have nobody at all able to stay with Amare, so this is again one of those things where if it was A move we made, ok, see the upside as well as the down, but we would still have to make at least one more to bring in a mobile athlete and shotblocker up front.

yeah...we wouldnt have anybody who could stay with amare, but there's trade-offs you gotta make in this league. i'd be willing to bet that the greater percentage of starting PF/C in the nba are of the slower variety. amare, brand, garnett, etc...those guys are a rarity. you draft those kinda guys, you dont trade them. so, that said, i think magloire would be an incredibly positive acquisition for the kings. we would be instantly tougher. he may not be a great shotblocker, but who said you had to be in order to be a good defender? he would definitely affect shots in the paint, which is something the kings are sorely missing. a magloire/miller combo would be incredibly slow, but would only suffer serious problems against a handful of teams in the nba. if the kings could somehow swing this kindofa deal, i think we'd be just that much closer to the top again. two tough guys doesnt change the face of a team, but they would make a significant impact, defensively speaking. with a starting five of bibby, wells, stojakovic, magloire, miller...the kings would have no trouble scoring, as long as wells doesnt get too trigger happy, and understands that the kings play team ball. and defensively, they'd be much improved, especially if peja is serious about improving his game.