IST Quarterfinals: New Orleans Pelicans at Sacramento Kings, 12/4/2023, 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown needs to put Barnes in the 2nd unit and call plays for him. Could really help his game and the team. Start Lyles who brings size and length, until finding someone better
I was thinking start Sasha, but Lyles works too. I thought vet HB getting to the line would be perfect for off the bench. Sorta maybe slow it down vs the usual desire for energy off the bench. If you switch monk and hueter qs well you'd have hueter, HB, and Sasha for scoring off the bench. Probably still need more of a creator/true pg off the bench than what hueter could provide. Seems like if you rotate 3 guards monk fox and hueter two could always be on the floor together. Idk im not a nba coach or gm....

They played poorly to end the first and 90% of the way through the second. Went from being up 15 to down 15. A 30pt swing in one quarter where they essentially turned the ball over about 7 straight times while the Pels hit every shot imaginable in that time period. The rest of the game they basically just traded baskets. Traded baskets while the Kings stayed ice cold from 3, sans Monk and a little bit of Keegan.

If the Kings cleaned up that stretch of turnovers, they probably win. Pels are just a bad matchup for them. Lengthy defenders and they can't stop Zion so they are forced to double, which leads to wide open shots.
Yeah, this year, the Kings are just such a higher range of outcomes team than last year. Like how does the team that started the first 8 minutes of the game finish the half the way they did the last 16 minutes? And just from a macro view of the season we've had games where we look like a legit title contender and awesome on both ends and games where we just get curb-stomped and look like we're tanking for a top 5 pick.

I'm not entirely sure what the solution is to fixing that. Maybe you add Keon/Kessler into consistent roles off the bench, just so there's a real infusion of defense every single game with Monk/Lyles/Sasha carrying the offensive punch. And thankfully, Brown saw pretty early that Javale was just not an option in this type of game or really in most playoff environment type of games where you have to be a starting caliber big to even see the floor.

That would be good. Lyles brings something different, in that he's an actual power forward...who can stretch the floor. Not just a smaller forward/wing trying to play against 4's
The problem is I think Lyles needs to take over the full-time back-up 5. And getting Sasha more minutes with Fox/Domas to create for him just seems absolutely correct. I think his skill-set gets a little wasted with the back-up unit. Whereas HB very much has the ability to go score the ball and get to the FT line through his own creation.

Sasha would work as a starting 4 because he can move off ball, shoot, space, score without having plays called for him, and not be worse than HB on defence most nights. Lyles would work as a starting 4 as he can space, shoot, rebound, and be a bit disruptive on the offensive boards. Both are a bit physical, both assertive. Neither costs that much.

HB probably the second or third most talented guy on the team but he's an ISO scorer who doesn't get isolation opportunities, doesn't assert himself, and doesn't make an impact on defence. Bringing him off the bench could be a good move if it meant the team played to his strengths and he got more scoring opportunities.

Right now not convinced the team has enough space for HB, Sasha, and Lyles though.

The problem is I think Lyles needs to take over the full-time back-up 5. And getting Sasha more minutes with Fox/Domas to create for him just seems absolutely correct. I think his skill-set gets a little wasted with the back-up unit. Whereas HB very much has the ability to go score the ball and get to the FT line through his own creation.
Makes some sense, but I don't think Brown will do it because of defense. I also like the ability to switch on 4's and 5's with physicality and extra rebounding, between Lyles and Sabonis. Vezenkov is kinda of a 3/4 tweener, who isn't all that physical. I'd be surprised if he is ever a regular starter in the NBA. He'd have a better chance if his offense wasn't one dimensional and had a better off the dribble game

Yeah, this year, the Kings are just such a higher range of outcomes team than last year. Like how does the team that started the first 8 minutes of the game finish the half the way they did the last 16 minutes? And just from a macro view of the season we've had games where we look like a legit title contender and awesome on both ends and games where we just get curb-stomped and look like we're tanking for a top 5 pick.

I'm not entirely sure what the solution is to fixing that. Maybe you add Keon/Kessler into consistent roles off the bench, just so there's a real infusion of defense every single game with Monk/Lyles/Sasha carrying the offensive punch. And thankfully, Brown saw pretty early that Javale was just not an option in this type of game or really in most playoff environment type of games where you have to be a starting caliber big to even see the floor.
It's hard to say. A lot of people are mad that they aren't curb stomping every team they play but we're talking about a nearly two decade playoff drought, followed by a first round game 7 exit. Maybe our expectations are a little too high right now? The Kings in the glory days got bounced in the first round the first two years of their run as well.

In order of importance, I think their improvements need to come from:

1. Keegan getting back to his rookie form on offense. I don't even need him to take a step this year. Just copy what he did last year and the Kings are much better.
2. Little more consistency from Sabonis. Put up a mild stinker every 8-10 games or so last year and it's more like every 5 this year.
3. Brown getting Barnes some more touches. He's inconsistent from game to game but his TS% is remarkably consistent from year to year. Need his FTs.
4. Lyles getting his shooting touch back. His numbers are worse than Keegan's right now. Small sample size.
5. One of either Duarte or Davion stepping up and playing better.

Fox and Monk have improved. Huerter and McGee are where you'd expect them. I'm not expecting much more from Vezenkov but it would be nice to see him get to 40% from 3. Everyone else, Mateen.

Sasha would work as a starting 4 because he can move off ball, shoot, space, score without having plays called for him, and not be worse than HB on defence most nights. Lyles would work as a starting 4 as he can space, shoot, rebound, and be a bit disruptive on the offensive boards. Both are a bit physical, both assertive. Neither costs that much.

HB probably the second or third most talented guy on the team but he's an ISO scorer who doesn't get isolation opportunities, doesn't assert himself, and doesn't make an impact on defence. Bringing him off the bench could be a good move if it meant the team played to his strengths and he got more scoring opportunities.

Right now not convinced the team has enough space for HB, Sasha, and Lyles though.
Monk/Barnes leading the second unit just makes perfect sense hopefully we do it. Unless of course we can get Siakam or Grant but I don’t see how by just offering Mitchell, Barnes, and a boatload of picks

The problem is I'm not sure anyone saw HB's steep athletic decline coming this season. He's just a ghost on offense these days, not getting to the line and he just can't stay in front of any starting-caliber wing.

Is what it is, but Monte and Brown need to plug his slot in the starting lineup pronto. I think the band-aid solution I'd go to is Sasha. Kings are 10.3 points better with him on the floor (213 minutes) while remaining neutral on defense. And just the eye-test; Sasha is far more physical defensively and on the glass and (somehow) moves his feet better than HB currently is. And basically every Sasha offensive grouping is just ripping right now; 2-man/3-man stuff with Fox/Domas is very very very good.
Should be told, they've kind of flipped some of those Barnes shots to Keegan this year. The difference between Barnes and Keegan though is Keegan still isn't getting to the free throw line which is putting a lot more pressure on Fox to get there. Likewise Barnes isn't the shooter Keegan is off the catch and shoot even though Keegan has struggled this year. I guess those adjustments will take time. Last I checked Barnes wasn't even listed on the iso stat charts for the Kings this year. He was never a high volume guy but seeing his free throw attempts drop is a pretty big indicator. Brown even said he doesn't call any plays for Barnes and most of those were triple threat opportunities. I agree, Sasha in that same role Barnes is is actually a better fit. The big issue is obviously it still basically leaves Fox as your only iso guy but as said, Barnes isn't getting those looks much anyway.

Monk/Barnes leading the second unit just makes perfect sense hopefully we do it. Unless of course we can get Siakam or Grant but I don’t see how by just offering Mitchell, Barnes, and a boatload of picks
Not sure on Grant. He's playing well like his first year in Detroit but that's a brutal contract relative to impact. And that's coming from someone really hoping he'd be one of Monte's target last summer.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Brown needs to put Barnes in the 2nd unit and call plays for him. Could really help his game and the team. Start Lyles who brings size and length, until finding someone better
I would love this. I said when we resigned him that I didn't hate it if he was moved to the bench but HATED it if the plan was to keep his weak 4/2/1 in 35 mpg *** with the starters.

Barnes has been a bench level player for years! And not the fun kind like Monk!

Should be told, they've kind of flipped some of those Barnes shots to Keegan this year. The difference between Barnes and Keegan though is Keegan still isn't getting to the free throw line which is putting a lot more pressure on Fox to get there. Likewise Barnes isn't the shooter Keegan is off the catch and shoot even though Keegan has struggled this year. I guess those adjustments will take time. Last I checked Barnes wasn't even listed on the iso stat charts for the Kings this year. He was never a high volume guy but seeing his free throw attempts drop is a pretty big indicator. Brown even said he doesn't call any plays for Barnes and most of those were triple threat opportunities. I agree, Sasha in that same role Barnes is is actually a better fit. The big issue is obviously it still basically leaves Fox as your only iso guy but as said, Barnes isn't getting those looks much anyway.
I think Monk has pretty clearly taken over as the 2nd on-ball creator. With Keegan emerging a bit with a little more creation. Brown being a little more flexible to get Monk on the floor has been helpful because Huerter is a decent secondary creator as well.

HB might just be at that age wall where he can't hold up on a 30+ MPG role anymore. Which is fine, the Warriors pulled a similar tactic with Andre Iggy where they got tremendous production from him for like 5+ years in a 25+ MPG role off the bench, but just used in key situations.

I don't think it's good for a guy like Barnes, who is a capable scorer, to never get a play called for him no matter what the matchup is. Would tend to put most people into a passive "defer" mindset, which is exactly what he looks like this season. It's strange, because he came out scorching hot in game 1.....and I guess Brown still didn't want to set him up with any plays? It's very odd to me. On any given night, he's capable of scoring 30+.

Again, put him in the 2nd unit and call lots of plays for him, where he feels like he's the one or two option. I don't see the harm in at least trying this

I don't think it's good for a guy like Barnes, who is a capable scorer, to never get a play called for him no matter what the matchup is. Would tend to put most people into a passive "defer" mindset, which is exactly what he looks like this season. It's strange, because he came out scorching hot in game 1.....and I guess Brown still didn't want to set him up with any plays? It's very odd to me. On any given night, he's capable of scoring 30+.

Again, put him in the 2nd unit and call lots of plays for him, where he feels like he's the one or two option. I don't see the harm in at least trying this
It's not so much Barnes offense that I have a problem....it's the lack of defensive presence. The only way for the Kings to improve team defense isn't to stick with the same guys and hope everything work out, it is to severe the tie from the SF and SG positions which are the ONLY positions that can be upgradeable. We knew Huerter's instant unguardable offense is a huge part of what the Kings do in this style of play. He can pretty much get wide open shots any time he want by running around Sabonis. So, that leave Barnes as the odd man out. For the Kings to take the next step from going good to great, they need to upgrade the roster. Unless, they're satisfied of being just "GOOD" which means whenever they play teams that have elite talents with length, they're going to have to work extra hard to win points. And they may win some and they may lose some. But if you can upgrade these position, they don't have to work extra hard...and everybody don't have to tire out collectively trying to help each other defense holes or gap in the defense lol.

Let's all look at the bright side.... at least the Kings won't need to play an extra game that doesn't even count in the standings...... this is already a long 82 game season.... that extra game makes a team more tired and also comes with the risk of injury playing in a "meaningless" exhibition game during the season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Get Murray well both mentally and physically. I don't think he's close to his ceiling. If he were, NO would be dead meat, not the other way around.

Trade Barnes by the trade deadline for someone who can play defense. How long have I been talking about this? Seems like two years now. The only reason to have signed Barnes, imo, is to trade him for something of value. McNair is a good GM. He sees what everybody else sees. Probably more. If it can be done, there will be a trade by the trade deadline, imo.

Trade Barnes by the trade deadline for someone who can play defense. How long have I been talking about this? Seems like two years now. The only reason to have signed Barnes, imo, is to trade him for something of value. McNair is a good GM. He sees what everybody else sees. Probably more. If it can be done, there will be a trade by the trade deadline, imo.
This may be part of the reason that coach Brown keeps HB in the starting lineup.

Trading a starting forward on a playoff team will get you back more in return than trading a non-starting forward.

Ultimately, I'm thinking Monte is looking to package some combination of HB, Huerter, Mitchell and draft picks to pick up a star to pair with Fox, Domas, Keegan and Monk (our "Core" going forward).

Get Murray well both mentally and physically. I don't think he's close to his ceiling. If he were, NO would be dead meat, not the other way around.

Barnes and Mitchell for... ??

This may be part of the reason that coach Brown keeps HB in the starting lineup.

Trading a starting forward on a playoff team will get you back more in return than trading a non-starting forward.

Ultimately, I'm thinking Monte is looking to package some combination of HB, Huerter, Mitchell and draft picks to pick up a star to pair with Fox, Domas, Keegan and Monk (our "Core" going forward).
The other side of the coin there, is that a Barnes who is playing better and producing more in a 2nd unit role, could have higher value than a Barnes who is a default starter who does very little on average. Also that any playoff team looking to add him, would most likely be for their 2nd unit

Ideally I'd imagine as well. The great thing about that core is all the names that have been rumored would fit in some way. Anywhere from SG-PF works. Get a SG and you can run an elite 3 guard trio with Fox and Monk. Get another F and they slide right next to Keegan.

It's not so much Barnes offense that I have a problem....it's the lack of defensive presence. The only way for the Kings to improve team defense isn't to stick with the same guys and hope everything work out, it is to severe the tie from the SF and SG positions which are the ONLY positions that can be upgradeable. We knew Huerter's instant unguardable offense is a huge part of what the Kings do in this style of play. He can pretty much get wide open shots any time he want by running around Sabonis. So, that leave Barnes as the odd man out. For the Kings to take the next step from going good to great, they need to upgrade the roster. Unless, they're satisfied of being just "GOOD" which means whenever they play teams that have elite talents with length, they're going to have to work extra hard to win points. And they may win some and they may lose some. But if you can upgrade these position, they don't have to work extra hard...and everybody don't have to tire out collectively trying to help each other defense holes or gap in the defense lol.
while I agree the best chance to do what you are describing was to overpay a wing in free agency this summer. We failed to do that.

we need to play Edwards more and hope he can find his shot. It’s not ideal but long wings are the most in demand position in the NBA.

we missed the window to trade Barnes. He won’t bring much value now.

Status
Not open for further replies.