Is this the best round 1 playoff series?

Not to be a homer, but I say why not? The first game established the Spurs as the favorite, but I think last night showed that this Kings team is more than an "anything can happen" sort of underdog (i.e., Chicago). Sac is playing better than an 8-seed, and San Antonio actually looks vulnerable. Sure, they're the champs (as the analysts remind us often enough to think we have the memory span of a goldfish), but what about that over-and-back turnover at home in game 2 crunch time? Even veterans can feel pressure and can make human mistakes (albeit less often).

Call it crazy, but I think with the variety of matchups and the fact that almost any player for either team could emerge as a late game hero, these could be the two most evenly matched TEAMS in the first round. This isn't Arenas vs. LeBron, Kobe vs. Nash, Carmello vs. the Clips--this is the Kings vs. the Spurs. It looks to be one of those great series where the home team has the advantage in every game.

Anyone else say yay, nay, maybe?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree with Greenspan 101.

The drama factor alone makes it compelling TV. The fact it's real takes it to another level, grabbing you by the throat and refusing to let you down ...

jeffjcalweb said:
no - chicago and heat have been the best first round matchup - with wash & cleve a close 2nd. i'd say if the kings take next game ask again...
yeah...the washington/cleveland mathcup gets my vote. been a good series, close the whole way. lebron has been stellar, a marvel amongst mere mortals.

though, depending on whether or not the kings tie up the series tomorrow, i could very easily change my mind. and i mean that in all seriousness. if the kings win tomorrow, we're looking at a helluva series that many didn't think would get to five games. of course, there's the prerequisite: winning tomorrow. but, what the hell, i feel like indulging in a little fan-fantasy: if the kings can tie up the series, they'll be poised to add themselves to the history books as one of the few teams to come back from down 0-2. momentum would be entirely in their favor. experience, talent, history, and the so-called "experts" would all be in san antonio's favor, but who's counting? ;)

A

AriesMar27

i'd hate to say it but laker-suns series seems a hell of a lot more interesting.... since they have the easiest shot at the wcf.... i dont think that the clippers could get by the lakers if they met in the second round.... the possibility of an la-la snd round series sounds alot more appealing than a possible sac-dal series.... the laker upset has a bigger upside than the kings... bulls or cavs....

but if this series goes to 7 games.... i dunno.... it just goes to show you that we should have been the 7th or even 6th seed.... but didnt do our job... well, their job....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
AriesMar27 said:
i'd hate to say it but laker-suns series seems a hell of a lot more interesting.... since they have the easiest shot at the wcf.... i dont think that the clippers could get by the lakers if they met in the second round....
Why on earth not? The only reason why the GD Lakers are in the series against Phoenix is because the Suns have absolutely no post players; the Clippers have the opposite of that.

The Clippers have already proven that Kobe can't beat them by himself, and if the GD Lakers are counting on Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom to dominate Chris Kaman and Elton F. Brand the way they've dominated Tim Thomas and Boris Diaw, they're going to be in for a very long series.

Last edited:
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Why on earth not? The only reason why the GD Lakers are in the series against Phoenix have absolutely no post players; the Clippers have the opposite of that.

The Clippers have already proven that Kobe can't beat them by himself, and if the GD Lakers are counting on Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom to dominate Chris Kaman and Elton F. Brand the way they've dominated Tim Thomas and Boris Diaw, they're going to be in for a very long series.

What he said!!

Good points all. The Laker/Suns series has taken a good twist with LAL's new teamwork approach. Another reason though that I think the Kings/Spurs is the best series is because it is between two basketball towns. I used to live in the Midwest, and the T-Wolves, for example, are well-liked, but every non-Packer fan within a 3-state radius of Minneapolis would trade a T-Wolves NBA Finals victory for a Vikings playoff win any day of the week. Can anyone here say that with the Niners, Raiders, Giants, A's? Maybe, but I haven't seen it yet. Sports-wise, SA and Sac are identified by these two teams, and I don't know if that's the case with any other round 1 series.

Last edited:
Mr. S£im Citrus said:

The Clippers have already proven that Kobe can't beat them by himself,
The 50 pts and game-winner he hung on them earlier in the year belies that. Dumped 40+ on them in the last meeting. They looked discomboobulated.

Clippers? Bigger fish to fry...

Vlad said:
the clips will toast the lakers. it will be wonderful tv.
it will be wonderful tv! i can't wait for that matchup. its one i never thought the nba would see. gonna be fun to watch the "Battle of Los Angeles." :D

(for reference's sake, "Battle of Los Angeles" is a rage against the machine album)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The idea of an all all LA round 2 makes me want to hurl... I acan't even begin to image all the Hollywerid product placement courtside... double yuck! I tollerate Jack and Penny beceause they are actual fans, but when they have to spotlight the other 50 celebs who are at their first game of the season I just get sick.

Oh well, personal feelings aside the best series being played out right now is the the Miami series, but if the Kings make a stand tonight that could change. Bottom line is ANYTIME you have a umber 8 giving a number one fits that is your bigest upset/surprise even when the number 8 is a good team playing great late season ball.

Padrino said:
it will be wonderful tv! i can't wait for that matchup. its one i never thought the nba would see. gonna be fun to watch the "Battle of Los Angeles." :D

(for reference's sake, "Battle of Los Angeles" is a rage against the machine album)
The Lakers essentially get 7 home games. (Clip fans are a lot less rowdy and more respectful... the Laker fans, which far outnumber Clipper fans, will be making all of the noise).

A

AriesMar27

yep.... and i thought after that bulls game that i would change my mind about the laker-suns series.... but what happens.... 3-1..... we so ****** ourselves by not keeping that 7th seed....

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
DocHolliday said:
An all LA round 2 guarantee's the Lakers to be in the WCF. Just think about that. We'll never hear the end of that **** from Lakers fans.
I would not go that far. As much as 7 games in the Pimples Center looks like 7 Lakers home games, they are ALSO 7 games on the court the Clips have played on all season too. Sure the fan base will be slanted but the actual floor and rims favor neither team in this match up and nether team is traveling so it only gives the Lakers a marginal edge. Clips are the better team they just need to remember it. Im guessing there will be no crowd signs tht read "Beat L.A."

HndsmCelt said:
I would not go that far. As much as 7 games in the Pimples Center looks like 7 Lakers home games, they are ALSO 7 games on the court the Clips have played on all season too. Sure the fan base will be slanted but the actual floor and rims favor neither team in this match up and nether team is traveling so it only gives the Lakers a marginal edge. Clips are the better team they just need to remember it. Im guessing there will be no crowd signs tht read "Beat L.A."
eh, dont be so sure :D

HndsmCelt said:
The way the Lakers are playing right now I just don't see the Clippers beating them in a series.

i would say the Kings sure made their case tonight. This series has turned around. its really fun to watch. what a stellar first round all around.

A

AriesMar27

DocHolliday said:
The way the Lakers are playing right now I just don't see the Clippers beating them in a series.
thats not true.... odom and brown wont dominate brand and kaman the way they did marion and diaw..... walton, george and sasha wont be beating the clippers either....

Padrino said:

I agreee. Cant wait

DocHolliday said:
The Lakers won't beat the Clippers. They are doing their magic against a depleted Suns frontline. With the Clippers it will be a completely different story.