Important Change in the New CBA

I like that they are cutting a week of the preseason and moving the start of the regular season up a week to help spread out the games resulting in less back-to-backs.

Also, apparently they are adding additional roster spots for a total of 17 players and 2-way contracts between the NBA and D-League. When a player goes down to D-League, they make a D-League salary and when they are brought up they get their NBA salary.

Very cool.

I like that they are cutting a week of the preseason and moving the start of the regular season up a week to help spread out the games resulting in less back-to-backs.

Also, apparently they are adding additional roster spots for a total of 17 players and 2-way contracts between the NBA and D-League. When a player goes down to D-League, they make a D-League salary and when they are brought up they get their NBA salary.

Very cool.
I like the NBA/DL bit, gives us a chance to take a chance on some projects and stash them in Reno. Don't be shocked if Vivek hunts Sim Buhlar down again lol.

Id love to get Sim onto the DL team. He is an interesting prospect. Love his offensive touch....if he ever finds motivation to check himself into fat camp and cut 420lbs he would be an nba player

Wait werent extensions already going on for vets previously? Pretty sure Westbrook and OKC did this in summer right?
I haven't looked into this in detail yet, but my understanding was that existing extensions required cap room (which OKC had for Westbrook). It looks like this new designated player extension does not require cap space, however.

I think that this is great news from the perspective that we need to resign DMC. On the flipside, if we wanted to try to pry away John Wall or Bledsoe it could make it more difficult since their current teams would be able to offer so much more money.

It looks like each team actually gets two of these designated veteran exceptions. http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ontain-Designated-Veteran-Extension-Provision

I'm thinking that could increase Rudy's trade value since the receiving team would have a higher likelihood of keeping him in free agency if they were to use it on him.

This certainly increases Cousins' trade value because of the new "Designated Veteran Extension" which would allow us to extend Cousins for 5 additional years during his remaining contract year.
In 2017/18 season, we could extend Cousins for 5 more years. Before the new rule, it was a max of only 4 years.

If Cousins wants security, he could resign with the Kings next year, and not have to worry about a potential injury before he becomes a FA. It's more about security.

I think it also increases his trade value since he would qualify for that extension rule. Let's say Boston trades for him in this off-season. If Cousins and the Celtics see eye-to-eye on staying long-term, they could resign him to a 5 year extension without the risk of losing him in FA. He would get the same amount of years(5) as he would in FA.

Oh, and Cousins would make a lot more money than in FA too.

This new CBA seems exciting...but it's hard to look at all of the information right now, since it isn't "official"

The NBPA supported a modified version of Silver’s plan, pushing to instate a “zero-and-two” rule like the one that exists in MLB. That rule would allow players to declare for the draft out of high school, but they must stay in school for two years if they do go to college.
I feel like this would've been a really interesting rule.

I've suggested this for years now, but why not have the ability to draft kids straight out of HS, but require them to play at least 1 year in the DL or a minimum 2 years in college? If they decided to go the DL route, NBA teams would have controlled environments of how they're able to develop the HS guys. If they choose the college route instead, then they get more time to develop and get a real opportunity to get their college experience and education at the same time.

I think it would be a W-W for everyone around... mostly due to the developmental aspect. Of course, Calipari would not be happy though.

I'm not a big DL watcher, but I'm very happy about this:
Currently, top-rated Development League players make $26,000, with the lower-tiered guys netting $19,000. But D-League salaries for players on two-way contracts are expected to more than double into the $50,000-to-$75,000 range, per ESPN’s Marc Stein, making the league more competitive with overseas salaries.
One thing I feel like is a problem in the NBA is the "locking up" of young prospects. If you get drafted onto a team in the 1st round, that team has control of you for 4 years. At the end of the 4 years, you'll be a RFA. If you want out, you'll have to take their QO and remain on a team for 1 year before you can be a UFA. I just don't think this is a good option for NBA players. It definitely benefit the teams more.

I think a good half-way point is that if the home team wants to match a RFA offer, let the agent and player decide if they want to be matched for that same amount. If not, I'd give them the power to cut down the years by half.

Instead of 4 years $80million, the player could decide on 2years $40million instead.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This is good news for us because we're rarely in play for top Free Agents anyway -- the level of players that will be getting these max extensions. It does highlight the importance of drafting well though because it's going to be a lot harder to steal a great young player from a team because of their difficult cap situation. Drafting a star and retaining them when they perform is going to be easier than it ever has been.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is good news for us because we're rarely in play for top Free Agents anyway -- the level of players that will be getting these max extensions. It does highlight the importance of drafting well though because it's going to be a lot harder to steal a great young player from a team because of their difficult cap situation. Drafting a star and retaining them when they perform is going to be easier than it ever has been.
Which is great news not just for the Kings, but the league in general.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I feel like this would've been a really interesting rule.

I've suggested this for years now, but why not have the ability to draft kids straight out of HS, but require them to play at least 1 year in the DL or a minimum 2 years in college? If they decided to go the DL route, NBA teams would have controlled environments of how they're able to develop the HS guys. If they choose the college route instead, then they get more time to develop and get a real opportunity to get their college experience and education at the same time.

I think it would be a W-W for everyone around... mostly due to the developmental aspect. Of course, Calipari would not be happy though.

I'm not a big DL watcher, but I'm very happy about this:
One thing I feel like is a problem in the NBA is the "locking up" of young prospects. If you get drafted onto a team in the 1st round, that team has control of you for 4 years. At the end of the 4 years, you'll be a RFA. If you want out, you'll have to take their QO and remain on a team for 1 year before you can be a UFA. I just don't think this is a good option for NBA players. It definitely benefit the teams more.

I think a good half-way point is that if the home team wants to match a RFA offer, let the agent and player decide if they want to be matched for that same amount. If not, I'd give them the power to cut down the years by half.

Instead of 4 years $80million, the player could decide on 2years $40million instead.
I don't know much about other professional leagues, but 5 years of guaranteed team control isn't out of line with what MLB does. You can sign a player to a minor league contract for up to 3 years after which you need to give them a major league contract to retain them (unless no other team claims them, at which point they can continue on year to year deals if both sides agree). Once they are on a major league roster, they are eligible for salary arbitration after 3 years of service time to ensure they get paid appropriately for their level of production (if they haven't already signed a long-term contract by then) but they only become a free agent after 6 years on a major league roster. If you sign a minor league contract out of college.. let's say you're 21... that's often 3 years in the minors plus 6 years in the majors before you have a choice of teams. You might be 30 years old the first time you become a free agent. It's just not a player's market in that respect. A lot of players are vying for a very limited number of roster spots.

I do like your idea of giving players a choice in the matter with a salary restriction -- ie if you want out bad enough to take a major paycut that's up to you -- but the Qualifying Offer concept already accomplishes that. And I have feeling it would benefit big market teams at our expense if we made the change you're suggesting. They can also convince them that they'll make up the difference in marketing opportunities.

I think that this is great news from the perspective that we need to resign DMC. On the flipside, if we wanted to try to pry away John Wall or Bledsoe it could make it more difficult since their current teams would be able to offer so much more money.

It looks like each team actually gets two of these designated veteran exceptions. http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ontain-Designated-Veteran-Extension-Provision

I'm thinking that could increase Rudy's trade value since the receiving team would have a higher likelihood of keeping him in free agency if they were to use it on him.
Alternatively, you might have a better shot at another team's third wheel. Not that many have really good third best players, but guys like Klay and Love come to mind.

Unless we get incredible no-brainer offer, I think we should keep Boogie and take advantage of the new CBA and his preference for Sacramento. I am comfortable with his improved (albeit slipping) passing and scoring efficiency and consistency of his defensive effort relative to what we could get in open market. Unless Danny wants to give us Crowder, Bradley, Brown, Brooklyn's pick and couple more 1st rounders, i.e. THE KITCHEN SINK we may as well hold onto him and retool all over again.

So in article today on Steph Curry under new extension rule:

The new rule in the CBA "allows certain superstars who are willing to re-sign with their current teams to receive up to 35 percent of the team’s salary cap," per ESPN. But specific benchmarks need to be met and according to the report, Curry, a two-time MVP who’s played his entire career with one team, would meet those qualifications.

If Curry, who is making $12 million this season, were to receive this deal, he would earn approximately $35.7 million in the first year (assuming next year's salary cap projection of $102 million is accurate) and then approximately $38.4 million, $41.3 million, $44.4 million and $47.7 million in subsequent years

So my question is are Kings willing to pay Big Cuz 200 Mill to keep Cuz here? How about it KingsFans maybe we need a Poll?

The new rule in the CBA "allows certain superstars who are willing to re-sign with their current teams to receive up to 35 percent of the team’s salary cap," per ESPN. But specific benchmarks need to be met and according to the report, Curry, a two-time MVP who’s played his entire career with one team, would meet those qualifications.

If Curry, who is making $12 million this season, were to receive this deal, he would earn approximately $35.7 million in the first year (assuming next year's salary cap projection of $102 million is accurate) and then approximately $38.4 million, $41.3 million, $44.4 million and $47.7 million in subsequent years

So my question is are Kings willing to pay Big Cuz 200 Mill to keep Cuz here? How about it KingsFans maybe we need a Poll?
Poll got what?!
You pay the man whatever it takes to keep him here no and ifs or buts about it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

The writings were on the wall when Mike Conley received 153 million for his services. You, me & the entire board saw this coming as the CBA negotiated in the months that past and seeing as NBA players will be making 200 million is not as far fetched as I once thought it would be considering the revenue the NBA has accumulated over the years. All that being said, if Cousins wants to remain here and sign that extension then by all means, re-sign him and continue to make it work or part ways come draft time.