[hypo trade] Kings - Warriors - (3rd Team): GSW Sells Their Picks to Win Now

The core of this trade is the Warriors selling of their picks to win now - and the Kings have assets that will help get them there. The Kings will move up to #2 and get Minny's 2021 1st in exchange for Buddy, Bjelica, & Bogi in a S&T. 3rd team takes on Wiggins terrible contract in exchange for the #12 pick without giving up anything

Kings: Send Buddy, Belly, Bogi (S&T) to the Warriors. Send #12 to 3rd team who is absorbing Wiggins cap hit. Receive #2 pick this year + Minnesota's 2021 1st.

Warriors: Send #2 this year + Minnesota's 2021 1st to Sacramento. Wiggins sent to 3rd team. Receive Buddy, Belly + Bogi.

3rd team (Hawks/Pistons/other): Accepts Wiggins contract. Get #12 from the Kings this year

---

Why for the Kings: go into full rebuild, move up to #2 this year and get a good 1st round pick next year to complement our own (now tanked) 1st

Why for Warriors: they need depth to win more rings. They give up 2 picks that are very good, but won't help them win now, for 3 players who fit in their system and will help them get win immediately. They are also dumping Wiggins and his albatross of a contract.

Why for the 3rd team (Hawks Pistons or another team with cap room): this is a team that wants to use its cap space to get a good asset. They take on Wiggins in exchange for the #12 pick this year - without giving up any assets.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, first off, this trade isn't going to work for the Warriors under the salary cap rules. Eyeballing it, they would probably have to throw Draymond Green in as well.

Second, there's just no way that a team takes on Wiggins' contract for the #12 pick in this draft. None. Zero. With the way Wiggins has played over the last three years, his next three years would translate out to being worth about $15M-20M, total (Wiggins = 1.5 WS per year, ~3% of salary cap per WS for players not on a rookie deal). Wiggins is being paid almost $95M over that period, so you're taking about a team eating about $75M-80M to get this year's #12 pick. Heh heh.

OK, first off, this trade isn't going to work for the Warriors under the salary cap rules. Eyeballing it, they would probably have to throw Draymond Green in as well.

Second, there's just no way that a team takes on Wiggins' contract for the #12 pick in this draft. None. Zero. With the way Wiggins has played over the last three years, his next three years would translate out to being worth about $15M-20M, total (Wiggins = 1.5 WS per year, ~3% of salary cap per WS for players not on a rookie deal). Wiggins is being paid almost $95M over that period, so you're taking about a team eating about $75M-80M to get this year's #12 pick. Heh heh.
Yeah these were pretty much all my own issues trying to make this work lol. From what I found this fails this year but according to another online trade checker it works for 20-21 cap, which I guess means no draft day trades and teams being happy with whoever’s been drafted after FA has started?

The extra pieces that are free to entice the 3rd team here is Warriors 2022 pick along with a boatload of Sac/GSW 2nds + cash. If someone is able to get Wiggins and stretch him (is that even legal anymore?) along with those goodies maybe they do it. Warriors are so flush in stupid $$ and this trade helps them fill the Chase Center immediately so who knows if the cash is there to make it worthwhile for team 3

I’m also curious of your opinion re: GSW. Our players vs their picks feels like the type of deal with very mutually beneficial possibilities that the Warriors need. But with the cap that type of deal seems bordering on the impossible. Keeping those picks and trying to work talented 20 year olds w three guys past 30 looking for rings seems weird, to put it mildly.

What exactly are the Warriors looking at here? If they cant move Wiggins they pretty much can’t do anything at all. They put in such a huge investment in their new building that I have to assume they’re eager to make any sort of move to become a title contender or something close to it again

dude12

Hall of Famer
There is a chance that the pick at 2 isn’t as good as Hield or Bogi and then we also are giving up 12? And I understand that the 2021 pick will have good value.

I think we could maximize our talent in trades by dealing them separately AND keeping our pick at 12......as we have seen in the past by other teams, nail your pick wherever it is and you can be in good shape.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'd also suggest a thread name change as my initial assumption was that something legit was happening, or rumoured to be.
As it's in Personnel Moves, which is dedicated to ideas rather than news, it's probably OK, but if captain bill gives the thumbs up I'll add a bit for clarity.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Yeah these were pretty much all my own issues trying to make this work lol. From what I found this fails this year but according to another online trade checker it works for 20-21 cap, which I guess means no draft day trades and teams being happy with whoever’s been drafted after FA has started?
What did you enter for the salary for Bogdan? We have to assume he's going to make something like $15M per year. Add in Buddy ($24.9M) and Belli ($7.1M) and you're on the order of $47M incoming to the Warriors. They're sending out Wiggins at $29.5, so they're adding $27.5M. That's nearly +200%, and they can't add more than 125% as taxpayers.

Oh, I knew there was something else. This trade would put the Warriors at about $175M in salary. The apron is going to be the same as last year, so about $139M. Any team that makes a sign-and-trade deal cannot end up over the apron. So there are two reason why this trade is not allowed. Since they'd have to drop $35M in salary on top of Wiggins to make this deal, they appear to have no choice but to include either Klay or Curry to do it. Suddenly it becomes less enticing for them.

What exactly are the Warriors looking at here? If they cant move Wiggins they pretty much can’t do anything at all. They put in such a huge investment in their new building that I have to assume they’re eager to make any sort of move to become a title contender or something close to it again
To be fair, that was a question I asked myself when they signed the megadeals for Klay and Draymond and did a S&T of Durant for D'Angelo while already having Curry on his max deal. Committing near-apron money to four players and having to fill out your roster on a shoestring seemed like a bad plan, and it only got worse when they sent D'Angelo away for Wiggins so they're committing near-apron money to three players and a washout. And two of those players are coming off major injuries. And they picked the wrong year to hit #2 in the lottery. Bad times in San Francisco, man, bad times.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Tough to argue that adding 3 players from a team which hasn't made the playoffs in eons is a win-now move for Golden State. Especially when two of them play the same position as their second best player so the only way to get them all on the court is to go ultra small like Houston. The #2 pick is probably not worth as much as it would be in a better draft year but still, I feel like they can probably do better. Especially if they're throwing in Minnesota's pick in 2021. I do think most teams around the league with analytics heavy front offices would look at Buddy's shooting and value him as a starter but how are you going to play him with Steph and Klay without giving up 120 points per game? And then how are you going to find minutes for Bogdan?

What did you enter for the salary for Bogdan? We have to assume he's going to make something like $15M per year. Add in Buddy ($24.9M) and Belli ($7.1M) and you're on the order of $47M incoming to the Warriors. They're sending out Wiggins at $29.5, so they're adding $27.5M. That's nearly +200%, and they can't add more than 125% as taxpayers.

Oh, I knew there was something else. This trade would put the Warriors at about $175M in salary. The apron is going to be the same as last year, so about $139M. Any team that makes a sign-and-trade deal cannot end up over the apron. So there are two reason why this trade is not allowed. Since they'd have to drop $35M in salary on top of Wiggins to make this deal, they appear to have no choice but to include either Klay or Curry to do it. Suddenly it becomes less enticing for them.

To be fair, that was a question I asked myself when they signed the megadeals for Klay and Draymond and did a S&T of Durant for D'Angelo while already having Curry on his max deal. Committing near-apron money to four players and having to fill out your roster on a shoestring seemed like a bad plan, and it only got worse when they sent D'Angelo away for Wiggins so they're committing near-apron money to three players and a washout. And two of those players are coming off major injuries. And they picked the wrong year to hit #2 in the lottery. Bad times in San Francisco, man, bad times.
I looked into the S&T rules, and it looks like it hard caps the receiving team at the luxury tax threshold (~132M this year). If that's true, I can't see any way this trade scenario can happen for the Warriors. You may have a better read on the rules for that Capt

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can see a scenario where the Warriors could acquire Bogi, assuming he signs at somewhere between 15 and 17 mil a year with their 17 mil exception. Not sure what we would get back in return other than the exception itself. Would we or they do it for the 2nd pick in the draft, or the T-Wolves 2021 1st rd pick, or both. There was a time on this forum when any trade proposed had to be fully explained, and made to work financially. I'm not sure if that was a forum rule, or simply a tradition of sort.

I know this trade was well intended, but it was a trade that could never happen as the Capt has pointed out. I would suggest that if your going to propose a trade, that you explain why any team involved in the trade would want to make the trade, and explain why it works under the current rules of the CBA. Otherwise, than for the sake of conversation, there's no reason to post it.

I hope everyone appreciates the crown jewel we have in the Capt, who constantly amazes me with his knowledge of the CBA. I have read the document from hell many times, and then need several days of mental recovery, along with pain killers to relieve the migraine brought on by the exercise. OK, I exaggerate a bit..

I can see a scenario where the Warriors could acquire Bogi, assuming he signs at somewhere between 15 and 17 mil a year with their 17 mil exception. Not sure what we would get back in return other than the exception itself. Would we or they do it for the 2nd pick in the draft, or the T-Wolves 2021 1st rd pick, or both. There was a time on this forum when any trade proposed had to be fully explained, and made to work financially. I'm not sure if that was a forum rule, or simply a tradition of sort.

I know this trade was well intended, but it was a trade that could never happen as the Capt has pointed out. I would suggest that if your going to propose a trade, that you explain why any team involved in the trade would want to make the trade, and explain why it works under the current rules of the CBA. Otherwise, than for the sake of conversation, there's no reason to post it.

I hope everyone appreciates the crown jewel we have in the Capt, who constantly amazes me with his knowledge of the CBA. I have read the document from hell many times, and then need several days of mental recovery, along with pain killers to relieve the migraine brought on by the exercise. OK, I exaggerate a bit..
it would pain me to send Bogi to a nearby rival, but if the 2021 Minnesota pick is on the table I’d have to say yes. I’m all in on collecting assets for next years draft.

So I put together an alternate version of this deal that I thought would make sense with Klay out, but I'm assuming it just got nuked by the Oubre deal. In any case I put in some effort in trying to figure it out so curious if I did this right:

Warriors
Out:
Wiggins: $29,542,010 to Kings
2021 1st to Kings + 2021 Minnesota 1st to Kings + 2023 1st to Kings (total picks might be too high, but at the very least I think that's the ask the Kings start with)

Damion Lee $1,762,796 to 3rd team
Marquese Chriss $1,824,003 to 3rd team
Ky Bowman 1,517,981 to 3rd team
(this would be sort of 'take your pick' team three and GSW - Warriors have a good number of contracts in this price range that the needed salary could be met with different combinations of players)

In
Buddy Hield : $24,431,818

Cap
Total outgoing salary of $34,646,790
Maximum Incoming Salary is $43,408,487.50, which they are under
New Team payroll is $138,669,796, which is a hair under the apron of $138,928,000

Kings
Out
Buddy Hield : $24,431,818

In
Andrews Wiggins: $29,542,010
GSW 2021 1st
Min 2021 1st
GSW 2023 1st (or some other combo of picks)
Cash and/or 2nd rounder from team 3 (flexible, needed to meet touch rule)

Cap
Total outgoing salary of $24,431,818, maximum incoming $30,639,772.50. Wiggins contract under that amount
Team payroll grows from $96,484,325 to $101,594,517, under the apron.

Team 3
Out
Cash and/or 2nd rounder to Kings (flexible, needed to meet touch rule)

In
Damion Lee $1,762,796
Marquese Chriss $1,824,003
Ky Bowman 1,517,981

Why
Buddy fills an immediate need for the Warriors and fits their system well. If Buddy has a banner year, and he could put up some truly insane numbers in SF, he and his contract become an incredibly lucrative asset. Getting off the Wiggins contract for Buddy gives them the flexibility they will need to reload for one last run when Klay comes back.

Kings take on one of the worst contracts in the league, but one that won't cripple them. Wiggins' contract expires in three years, along with Barnes', meaning Kings get $50 million off the books following a three-year period in which they have 5-6 first round picks. Fox extension starts year 2 of Wiggins, Bagley year 3, then Wiggins and Barnes are off the books. In a full youth movement we shouldn't be as worried about total team salary anyways.

This is a minor deal for team 3. They are taking on 3 small contracts, and giving up or giving back some amount of cash and/or 2nd round picks. Makes salaries work.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So I put together an alternate version of this deal that I thought would make sense with Klay out, but I'm assuming it just got nuked by the Oubre deal. In any case I put in some effort in trying to figure it out so curious if I did this right:
As a quick eyeball test, it looks right, but you don't actually need a third team. The Warriors could trade Wiggins + picks for Hield straight up. Since they're going down in salary, it's OK, and the Wiggins/Hield salaries are close enough that the Kings can legally make the deal.

As a quick eyeball test, it looks right, but you don't actually need a third team. The Warriors could trade Wiggins + picks for Hield straight up. Since they're going down in salary, it's OK, and the Wiggins/Hield salaries are close enough that the Kings can legally make the deal.
The extra salaries were included for apron purposes, assuming I didn’t get anything wrong there. Thanks for checking!