How would you spend the Kings $35 million cap space this summer?

Why do people even like Butler? Yea he’s a good player but he’s caused problems for the last two teams he’s played on. Even Embiid had to go public with his frustrations playing alongside him. What about playin time? Whose minutes is he taking?
Because elite two way talent is hard to find. And he needs to be the top dog. The kids are too young to demand much at this point, which allows him to thrive. Fits from a bridge perspective, get his prime yrs then let him go when the kids enter their prime. The issue in Minny was he felt the kids there were lazy. That won’t be an issue in Sac.

Because elite two way talent is hard to find. And he needs to be the top dog. The kids are too young to demand much at this point, which allows him to thrive. Fits from a bridge perspective, get his prime yrs then let him go when the kids enter their prime. The issue in Minny was he felt the kids there were lazy. That won’t be an issue in Sac.
We have our top dogs though and they need room to grow, not to be suffocated by Butler. Is he good enough to be the top dog at age 30? I’d give him a 2 year contract at the most considering how much he has played thus far and who he has played for (Thibs).

I don't understand the interest in Butler and some other players who don't address a position of need for us. You really want to reshuffle the deck when things are (finally) looking so promising? I think there's too much fantasy world stuff going on here for my taste.

I don't understand the interest in Butler and some other players who don't address a position of need for us. You really want to reshuffle the deck when things are (finally) looking so promising? I think there's too much fantasy world stuff going on here for my taste.
I don't think Butler is realistic at all but if you could take the money you were going to spend on the Rondos, Belinellis and Koufos' of the world and give it to Butler instead, you'd do it. Where are the minutes going to come from? Who cares? He would be the best player on the team and is a proven winner. Literally doesn't matter who he takes minutes from.

You could play the whole game with Fox/Butler, Fox/Hield and Hield/Butler on the floor at the same time at any given moment. The guy is a good scorer and can handle the ball and run the offense. Not to mention his great defense. If you could get him and a serviceable big man, you'd have one hell of an offseason.

In the end I think the discussion is pointless even though I'm participating in it because there's no way he comes here and I doubt Vlade is going to look into him anyway since he has attitude issues.

Two years would be ideal, but to get him, you would need four.

Butler on the Kings n next yrs team is challenging for the conference title. Having a two way wing, who can swing between the 2 and 4 is perfect for this team. Dude could play with Barnes, push Bags to the 5 in some situations, defend the opposing team’s best player, shoot threes, and play some point forward.

His impact would be similar to Ron Artest’s first few years with the Kings. If the Kibgs can get him, u do it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't see Butler going to a team that hasn't already made the playoffs. And even with motivated and talented players like Fox and Bagley I can see Butler creating a lot of friction because of his impatience with youthful mistakes. I don't see Butler on the Kings list.

Avery Bradley on the MLE.

Perfect defensive swing guard for the Kings. Can guard 1 to 3. From Realgm Detroit and Memphis fans, seems to have sucked last year, but I've always liked his game. Especially on a team that is built to run. He could alter the shape of the Kings defense and save Fox from some cheap fouls and energy chasing the opponents top guard.

Kings are making a big offer to someone June 30th @ 9:00 EST. Much like Lavine came out of nowhere, this will probably as well. There are only so many FA's, so we have probably discussed the person. But I would not be surprised if it wasn't someone we were heavily leaning to.

I will be (pleasantly surprised) and shocked if they throw money at Dedmond/Beverly and resign Brewer and call it and offseason.

If the Jazz decline their player option on Derrick Favors, anyone think he’d be a good fit here?
I think he could be a good fit - just depends on the $$$ and his role with the team. Oh, and his health (knees). He’d be a better fit if he hit 3’s, but he’d keep us from getting beat up down low.

How bout Montrezel Harrell and Patrick Beverly? they’re huge for the clippers but I’d love to have em

EDIT: i see this was discussed

Last edited:
Our cap space is lower with Barnes opting out because he has a 32MM cap hold. So if they are going to resign him, which we assume they are, it needs to be done immediately July1st to open up cap space for another signing. We can tender a QO to WCS, and pull it if we need the space to sign a max or near max player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Our cap space is lower with Barnes opting out because he has a 32MM cap hold. So if they are going to resign him, which we assume they are, it needs to be done immediately July1st to open up cap space for another signing. We can tender a QO to WCS, and pull it if we need the space to sign a max or near max player.
It may not be quite so desperate as that. Assuming we bring back both Mason and Yogi out salaries right now are at about $46.5M. With a $109M cap, that leaves us with about $62.5M in space. Barnes cap hold at $32M and Willie's cap hold at $14M leave us with about $16.5M in space even if we keep both those cap holds. And if we offer a max, we can just rescind the cap holds (either Barnes or WCS, whichever) if the player accepts.

I figure we will sign a maximum of two out of the group [Barnes/WCS/Near-Max FA]. We won't do all three, so we just give up on whichever of the three we don't/can't get, and we've got plenty of cap space for the other two.

It may not be quite so desperate as that. Assuming we bring back both Mason and Yogi out salaries right now are at about $46.5M. With a $109M cap, that leaves us with about $62.5M in space. Barnes cap hold at $32M and Willie's cap hold at $14M leave us with about $16.5M in space even if we keep both those cap holds. And if we offer a max, we can just rescind the cap holds (either Barnes or WCS, whichever) if the player accepts.

I figure we will sign a maximum of two out of the group [Barnes/WCS/Near-Max FA]. We won't do all three, so we just give up on whichever of the three we don't/can't get, and we've got plenty of cap space for the other two.
Ya I get that, it's just a timing issue. I guess a lot of that is moot since we still have moratorium period.

Offer max to Kawhi (and give him some shares in some booming company in India.....yes I know its illegal) :D

Then go out and sign a C (DAJ or Favors) and a cheap but effective back up SF and PG (though we could roll another year with Bogdan and Ferrell playing that role)

C: DAJ or Favors
PF: Bagley
SF: Leonard
SG: Hield
PG: Fox

Hello play offs :D

I'd be in on this. Send 47 and 60 for Warren. Warren has been a productive player despite being on one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NBA. Bogdan/Warren/Bjelica/Giles is really strong with a lot of lineup versatility to work in with the starters. Also while he's not a perfect with the starters, he'd be at least some protection against Barnes possibly walking.

Assuming Barnes restructures his contract and sticks around, Id be happy with free agent signings of Dedmon and House.
I would love Beverly in that backup PG spot but have modest expectations.