How would you spend the Kings $35 million cap space this summer?

According to Spotrac.com, the Kings will have approximately $34.9 million in cap space to play with this summer, if they release WCS cap hold. The Kings could possibly get more cap space if they opt out of Yogi Ferrell's option. If the Kings decline Yogi's option, they would have an extra 3.1 million to use, total $38 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/2019/

Here is another article about the Kings and the cap:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/willie-cauley-stein-still-option-202715880.html

I'm a big advocate of NOT using all of our cap space to try and sign a "Max" player (i.e. Tobias Harris, Nikola Vucevic, etc.) to a max contract of $140/4 years or $35 million a year. One player would take all of our cap space and we are not one player away from competing for a title. If we could get these players at $25 mil or less, then I would be all for it. BUT, if we needed to give them the Max to sign them, I would pass and look to improve the team overall.

My first priority would be to find a center that helps open up the lane for Fox and Bagley. I would try and find a stretch 5, that can also defend the paint. I would go hard after Brook Lopez at the start of free agency. I would try and sign him to a 3 year $45-48 million ($15-16 million/year) contract ASAP, which would be significantly higher than the MLE that Milwaukee could offer him. He could open up Bagley’s game like he did for Giannis.

Back up plan: WCS, Thomas Bryant or Dwayne Dedmon.

Next, I would look to up grade the backup Point Guard. I would go hard after Patrick Beverly. Offer him a 3 year deal at $8-9 per year, or $24-27 mil/3 year deal. He would give us a 3 and D back up behind Fox. I would probably opt out of Yogi's deal to open up the backup PG minutes and allow him to latch on elsewhere.

Back up plan: Jeremy Lin, Austin Rivers or Yogi Ferrell

Next, I would look for a legit backup swingman to backup Harrison Barnes. I would try for Rodney Hood and offer him a nice contract of $8-9 million a year or $17 million/2 years. He is a good bench scorer of the and has showed some moxy for Portland in the playoffs. Terrance Ross would be an option too, but may be too expensive for a backup SF role. I would re-sign a vet min veteran like Corey Brewer or Shump to fill out the roster.

Back up plan: James Ennis

The rest of the roster would be to bring up Weynen Gabriel and sign our 2nd round picks.

Kings New and deep lineup:

PF: Bagley / Bjelicia / Gabriel
SF: Barnes / Hood / Brewer
C: Lopez / Giles / Swanigan
SG: Buddy / Bogdan
PG: Fox / Beverley / Mason

What would you do with the $35 million cap space this season???

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like what you're saying but do you really think we could get Beverly at less than $10-12 mil per year?

I'm pretty much in line with your approach @ockingsfan although I might quibble at a few details. I really like Lopez as a 2-3 year signing to start next to Bagley until Giles is ready. I agree with looking to sign a backup PG next, but I agree with @VF21 though that Beverly would cost more than you suggest. That's ok, though, since I don't know that the team needs to spend on another guy like Hood. Between the new backup guard, Bogdan, Bjelica, and Giles that's likely most of your regular bench minutes. I don't think you necessary need to have 10 guys expecting regular roles.

I like what you're saying but do you really think we could get Beverly at less than $10-12 mil per year?
He played for about $5 million last year. I think that the Clippers are going to try and sign two max players, so Beverly probably will be a 2nd or 3rd priority for them.

It really depends on if someone sees him as a starter or as a backup point guard. If someone offers him a starting position and starter money, then we have no chance. As a backup point guard, I think $9 million would be a good signing. At 10-12 million, may be too much for a back up PG, in my taste. At that point, I may go to plan B, Jeremy Lin or Austin Rivers.

I'd throw good money at Beverly to see if we could land him. There will be a minutes crunch because Beverly isn't going to come here and play 15min a game. He's going to be playing at least 27min or so and that means a lot of time next to Fox. Buddy is going to get his minutes so Bogdan will most likely be the guy playing mostly with the 2nd unit.

The bad thing is that'll mean a lot of small ball.

The good thing is he's shown the ability to rebound like a small forward and defend guys as big as Kevin Durant. His rebounding rate is better than everyone on the Kings other than Troy Williams and the bigs. So while it's small ball, it's almost kind of not really small ball as far as what he can do on the court. When he's out there with Fox and Buddy, he's basically the small forward but that would be pretty tough to put a 6'1" player through that physically all year. He shined in that role during a playoff series but could he do similar things in the regular season?

I don’t know what “the Kings rate” would be to acquire the three players (*), but here are the 10 guys I want to go to war with next season (three of them needing to be signed/acquired):
Fox/Beverly*
Buddy/Bogi
Barnes/Backup SF*
Bagley/Beli
Dedmon*/Giles

I would give the money to Vlade and sit back and wait to see what he does with it. I have no doubt that he can do better than I could.
In the past vlade has been pretty good with our cap space. While others have massively overpaid non top tier agents when striking out with the top free agents, we mostly hold on to the cap space or sign second and third tier agents to short term team friendly contracts. (Sometimes the free agents saved vlade from the mistake of overpaying by going elsewhere). I hope if he doesn't get what he wants he will do the same. I know many will argue he is lazy or not doing his job if we don't get a big name but I don't want to give a max contract to a non max worthy free agent.

First I would see if Horford could be had. Him, a backup combo forward, and veteran PG depth would take up most of the cap space. I would keep Yogi for depth, and decline Mason's option.

If Horford is not an option, make WCS the qualifying offer, and make a run at Dedmon and Bryant. Then throw some money at Beverly.

If WCS gets a better offer, then they have a little capspace for a midseason trade.

If Beverly doesn't sign, get Lin or a similar type as a vet and competition for Yogi.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Probably depends on the length of the contract. At Beverly's age, he's probably looking for some long term guaranteed money. The rumor I'm hearing is that the Clips would like to get him back on maybe a two year deal at close to what he made last season, which was around 5 mil a year. I think that if you offer him a 3 year deal for 8 mil a year, which is the deal Lou Williams signed with them, you have a good chance of signing him. He's a specialty player, and he's what I call a hole filler.

That means he has more value to those teams that need his particular skills. That limits the amount of teams that will have him as their priority. On the Kings, he would/could be a difference maker. On the Lakers, he's just another PG who won't make a significant difference. He's also 30 years old, and all it takes is one injury, and maybe he's not a difference maker anymore. So he is a bit of a gamble at 3 years.

lastly, the Clippers want to be big players in the free agent market this off season. Which means if you make Beverly an offer at one minute past midnight, the Clips will either have to pony up or pass in 72 hours. I think 3 years at 8 mil is enough to make them pass if they truly intend to pursue some of the big name free agents.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nice summary of who fits in sacto from nice article

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/which-free-agent-center-best-fits-sacramentos-needs/ar-AACFpXm

View attachment 9192

So if Vucevic is gonna cost too much $ Then lets get Dedmon or B Lopez
I'd like Brook Lopez if we were a good rebounding team. But were not. I think we were something like 25th in the league, and we were almost last in defensive rebounding. How many games did we lose last season because of 2nd chance points. I can't tell you how many nights I went to bed hoarse from screaming at my TV for someone, anyone to grab a stinking defensive rebound. Think about this! Willie was our best defensive rebounder!!

Nope, I'll pass on Brook. If I can't get either Vucevic, or Dedmon (the player I prefer), then I'm moving on to Jordan, who is a very good defensive rebounder, a good rim and post protector.

I'd like Brook Lopez if we were a good rebounding team. But were not. I think we were something like 25th in the league, and we were almost last in defensive rebounding. How many games did we lose last season because of 2nd chance points. I can't tell you how many nights I went to bed hoarse from screaming at my TV for someone, anyone to grab a stinking defensive rebound. Think about this! Willie was our best defensive rebounder!!

Nope, I'll pass on Brook. If I can't get either Vucevic, or Dedmon (the player I prefer), then I'm moving on to Jordan, who is a very good defensive rebounder, a good rim and post protector.
We were a top 10 defensive rebounding team post-Barnes trade https://on.nba.com/2UvF8pi

Looks like the rebounding problem lies with starting Shumper at SF, who is a horrendous rebounder.

We were a top 10 defensive rebounding team post-Barnes trade https://on.nba.com/2UvF8pi

Looks like the rebounding problem lies with starting Shumper at SF, who is a horrendous rebounder.
I was wondering about that, thanks for pulling the splits. I imagine starting Bagley and Barnes off the bat would help (Bagley didn’t wow on the boards as a rookie, but I recall that he was good in college, and usually rebounding is a skill that translates from college to the pros). I think a Lopez/Bagley/Barnes starting frontcourt would still be a better rebounding frontcourt than WCS/Bjelica/Shumpert or Jackson was.

I want 3 guys

Numero Uno
Danny green

Then one of
Beverly or Satoransky, if not then cory Joseph

Center
Dedmon, bryant, lopez

More i think about it id prefer this haul over just Harris or Vucevic

Last edited:
I want 3 guys

Numero Uno
Danny green

Then one of
Beverly or Satoransky, if not then cory Joseph

Center
Dedmon, bryant, lopez

More i think about it id prefer this haul over just Harris or Vucevic
I could get on board with this. Improve defensively, get good depth at positions if need and get a mobile C who can stretch the floor and has a very good FG%

I really like Green. At san antonio he played 58% of his mins at the SF spot, so he would be our backup wing. At his age he may be just fine with that role. Provides great depth, defensive flexibility, 3pt shooting and experience.

Id prefer him over Beverly for our high paid 6th man for the simple fact Green fits better if we want find him more mins with Fox and Hield/Bogs on the floor with Barnes swinging to the 4.

I really like Green. At san antonio he played 58% of his mins at the SF spot, so he would be our backup wing. At his age he may be just fine with that role. Provides great depth, defensive flexibility, 3pt shooting and experience.

Id prefer him over Beverly for our high paid 6th man for the simple fact Green fits better if we want find him more mins with Fox and Hield/Bogs on the floor with Barnes swinging to the 4.
Danny Green would be a good bench addition, but I think Toronto will want to bring him back, at almost any cost.

He and Kawhi are very close friends, so if Toronto wants to re-sign Kawhi, they are going to want to keep Green, to keep Kawhi happy.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto early in free agency, then Green would be in play.

Brook is a very good rim protector (2.2. blocks/game) and floor stretcher (6.3 3PA and 36.5% on 3's). His offensive rebounding is very low, because he is almost always camped out at the 3 point line on the offensive end. That would open up the lane for both Fox and Bagley. Bagley will gobble up 10-12 rebounds per game easy.

I see Brook helping open up the game for Bagley, much like he did for Giannis in Milwaukee.

When BLo's defender is chasing him out to the 3 point line, Bagley and Fox will kill it in the lane. If Bagley gets 12 rebounds per game (which I think he could) and B Lo gets his 5 rebounds, that's 17 rebounds from the PF and C positon, the Kings should be at least an average rebounding team.

I'd throw good money at Beverly to see if we could land him. There will be a minutes crunch because Beverly isn't going to come here and play 15min a game. He's going to be playing at least 27min or so and that means a lot of time next to Fox. Buddy is going to get his minutes so Bogdan will most likely be the guy playing mostly with the 2nd unit.

The bad thing is that'll mean a lot of small ball.

The good thing is he's shown the ability to rebound like a small forward and defend guys as big as Kevin Durant. His rebounding rate is better than everyone on the Kings other than Troy Williams and the bigs. So while it's small ball, it's almost kind of not really small ball as far as what he can do on the court. When he's out there with Fox and Buddy, he's basically the small forward but that would be pretty tough to put a 6'1" player through that physically all year. He shined in that role during a playoff series but could he do similar things in the regular season?
These are great reasons why Danny Green makes more sense to go after than Beverly.

This season Milwaukee had the best defensive rebounding rate in the whole league with Brook Lopez playing big minutes. One year ago before they got Lopez they were 29th. Lopez is one of the best players in the whole league at boxing out. He doesnt get big rebounding numbers but his team often has good rebounding rate when he is on the floor. I dont know how to quantify his actual impact on team rebounding but it most likely isnt worse/as bad as WCS and looking at Milwaukees dreb% I would say having Brook Lopez as your C doesnt mean that your teamd rebounding rate would take a hit. Having a stat where you could see players on/off impact on teams dreb rate would be usefull when considering his rebounding

Beverly is not that realistic. He is a two way player who was starting for a playoff team. He would not come here to be a bench player. Even if we are willing to overpay, there will be teams which are willing to overpay and offer him the starting job.

Cory Joseph is attainable. If we want a perimeter defender, he is very good (maybe even better than Beverly).

I prefer we go after an all around player, someone like Jeremy Lamb. Lamb is a long combo guard who can run pick and roll (73.6% percentile in efficiency), run in transition (74.6% percentile in efficiency) or be an isolation scorer (57% percentile in efficiency) . He is a very good defensive rebounding guard (career 16.7% defensive rebounding rate, which is pretty good even for a small forward). He is also a decent defender, which Buddy is not. Another bonus thing is that Lamb is a pretty good spot up shooter out to 3pt line.

I wonder what the market for Lamb will be. It should be no less than 10M/year. He is an all around player who is decent at everything while still be a positive defender. The last half of the season, he came off the bench for the Hornets so he maybe ok coming off the bench here.

It would be very nice to have a rotation of Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Lamb.