How to Finish Building Around our Big 3?

Never thought I would utter the phrase “Big 3” when talking about Sacramento, but Monte McNair pulled it off and signed the biggest free agent in Sacramento Kings history, DeMar DeRozan.

The question now is how do we finish rounding the roster out around them? We have the full MLE at our disposal still, and Huerter is a tradeable asset for us.

I’d like to target someone like Haywood Highsmith with the MLE. That may be an overpay, but at this point I think it’s worth it considering we’re close to darkhorse contenders with our core.

Then, I’d target a solid 3/D PF in a trade for Huerter and whatever draft compensation is necessary depending on the player. I’ve been a fan of DFS for a long time, perhaps Huerter and a heavily protected first would get it done. Or another pick swap?

And lastly, try and find a solid vet min. center. Wouldn’t be super against bringing McGee, I noticed in post season interviews that he was clearly a vocal leader that the guys liked. And he had a nice on court connection with Monk.

Fox/Carter/McLaughlin
Ellis/Monk/Jones
DeRozan/Highsmith/McDaniels
Murray/DFS/Lyles
Sabonis/Len/McGee

I feel like this would be the perfect mix of star power, role players, defense, shooting and solid to good depth at every position. What do you guys think?

dude12

Hall of Famer
A Highsmith would be a nice pick up…..but needs to be a definite 3/4 type guy. Maybe DFS in a Huerter deal.
Im not sure we need another center as Lyles could fill the backup center role as a stretch 5

If we are talking deep depth, I’d rather have Mason Jones than McLaughlin assuming Mason continues his good SL play.
And this is a stretch and probably way too early but Isaac Jones looks like a long and twitchy energy 4/5. If he can knock down 3’s, he’s going to be a future rotation player for us but he’s going to need some time

I’m very intrigued by Okoro, who is a RFA. I’m curious if CLE would be interested in a S&T for Heurter, seems like they could use more shooting and it would free up more salary for the full MLE.

I’d also look into Haywood Highsmith, Marcus Morris, or Paul Reed.

I’d do something like this:

1. trade Huerter/lyles for John Collins (or maybe cam Johnson, some forward)
2. Resign Kessler edwards
3. Get another center, 3rd string. No one in mind but ideally someone who’s between ages 22-26, little experienced, little potential. More bouncy than Len to contrast his play style.

I’d do something like this:

1. trade Huerter/lyles for John Collins (or maybe cam Johnson, some forward)
2. Resign Kessler edwards
3. Get another center, 3rd string. No one in mind but ideally someone who’s between ages 22-26, little experienced, little potential. More bouncy than Len to contrast his play style.
Kessler Edwards is not a reliable nba player.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_7-8-2024_7-20-52AM.png

Also,throwing a vet minimum flier at RoCo wouldn’t be bad. Bigger MLE splash remains making an offer to Okoro and hoping the Cavs don’t match.

We may need to address the PF position more towards the end of the year as I would like to see how this Shakes out.
I would love to pick up another more mobile center but what I would not like is bringing in some center and play them only to find out again we should of just used Len the first half of the season.

Basically we as a team need to figure out how not to lose those half a dozen games every year that we have the opposing team on the ropes and let them come back.
that alone will make the last couple of weeks of the season hopefully jostling between the 3rd and 5th seed instead of the fiasco last year. Yeah I know about the injuries but those early winnable games make a difference in the end.

We need a PF who...
  1. has above average size, length, & athleticism for his position (8'10"+ standing reach and 7'0"+ wingspan)
  2. is a good/great defender
  3. can help a bit with paint/rim protection (0.5+ BLK per 36 min)
  4. is a good floor spacer (37%+ 3P% with 4+ 3PA per 36 min)
  5. is at least a decent rebounder (5+ REB per 36 min)
  6. is a low usage player (around 15%)
  7. is going to be well below a max contract ($25 mil/year or less)
  8. ideally can flex down to guard SFs (allowing DeRozan to always take the worse SF or PF on defense)
  9. ideally is around the age of our core (28 years old or less)

Looking at who is realistically available, the only guys that somewhat fit that description are:
  • Dorian Finney-Smith
  • Grant Williams
  • Isaiah Stewart
  • Bobby Portis
  • John Collins

Dorian Finney-Smith
I think he checks all of those boxes with the exception of #9 and somewhat #1. I think his standing reach is 8'9" so he just missed that threshold, but I know DFS also plays small-ball C for the Nets at time so I'm not overly worried about #1.

Grant Williams
He doesn't check off #1 (which is a big concern for me) but he seems to fit the rest of the criteria.

Isaiah Stewart
I have questions if Stewart is actually a good defender (#2) and I don't see him checking off #8 since he's more of a PF/C vs. a PF/SF.

Bobby Portis
He doesn't check off #6, #8, and #9, and I'm not sure I consider him a "good" defender but I'd put him as an above average defender.

John Collins
He doesn't check off #6, #8, and probably not #2 as I have him as average in that department.

I think I'd have DFS at the top of my list if we're trying to improve our roster as much as possible in the immediate, but wouldn't be overly upset if we did bring in someone like Williams or Stewart while we keep looking for a better fit/upgrade down the road. I have less interest in Portis and Collins at this point.

We need a PF who...
  1. has above average size, length, & athleticism for his position (8'10"+ standing reach and 7'0"+ wingspan)
  8. ideally can flex down to guard SFs (allowing DeRozan to always take the worse SF or PF on defense)

Looking at who is realistically available, the only guys that somewhat fit that description are:
  • Dorian Finney-Smith
  • Grant Williams
  • Isaiah Stewart
  • Bobby Portis
  • John Collins

Dorian Finney-Smith
I think he checks all of those boxes with the exception of #9 and somewhat #1. I think his standing reach is 8'9" so he just missed that threshold, but I know DFS also plays small-ball C for the Nets at time so I'm not overly worried about #1.

Grant Williams
He doesn't check off #1 (which is a big concern for me) but he seems to fit the rest of the criteria.

Isaiah Stewart
I have questions if Stewart is actually a good defender (#2) and I don't see him checking off #8 since he's more of a PF/C vs. a PF/SF.

Bobby Portis
He doesn't check off #6, #8, and #9, and I'm not sure I consider him a "good" defender but I'd put him as an above average defender.

John Collins
He doesn't check off #6, #8, and probably not #2 as I have him as average in that department.

I think I'd have DFS at the top of my list if we're trying to improve our roster as much as possible in the immediate, but wouldn't be overly upset if we did bring in someone like Williams or Stewart while we keep looking for a better fit/upgrade down the road. I have less interest in Portis and Collins at this point.
What's your take on Cam Johnson?

What's your take on Cam Johnson?
Just posted this in the other thread :)

He’s a SF in my book. He only has a 8’7” standing reach and 6’10” wingspan (205 lbs as well). That’s not really going to cut it for what we need at PF. In fact, his measurements are nearly identical to Klay Thompson.

I also don’t really consider Cam Johnson a “good” defender. I think he’s average defensively so I’d prefer more of a defensive presence that has a lower usage but can still provide spacing.

Just posted this in the other thread :)

He’s a SF in my book. He only has a 8’7” standing reach and 6’10” wingspan (205 lbs as well). That’s not really going to cut it for what we need at PF. In fact, his measurements are nearly identical to Klay Thompson.

I also don’t really consider Cam Johnson a “good” defender. I think he’s average defensively so I’d prefer more of a defensive presence that has a lower usage but can still provide spacing.
Fair enough. DFS has been like a 5 year player crush for me, but I do worry about a bit about his decline the last few years. But maybe getting him back on a good team unlocks the super 3&D role player that he was in Dallas.

What I like to is he's on a 1+1 basically and he won't cost us a FRP if we flip Huerter. So he doesn't tie in long-term salary and won't cost us future draft capital.

We need a PF who...

• Dorian Finney-Smith
  • Grant Williams
  • Isaiah Stewart
  • Bobby Portis
  • John Collins

Dorian Finney-Smith

Grant Williams

Isaiah Stewart

Bobby Portis

John Collins

I'd probably go DFS as well since I think he would be cheapest option. I feel like Grant Williams is highly overrated. I've never watched him play and thought he was anything more than average. Still a decent player but his price tag is probably too high for what he gives you.

I like Collins, but not next to Sabonis. Portis is a better fit but I think his defense is a bit overrated as well. Stewart is by far the biggest no for me. I think who Stewart is and the idea of what people think Stewart is are two completely different things.

I'd probably go DFS as well since I think he would be cheapest option. I feel like Grant Williams is highly overrated. I've never watched him play and thought he was anything more than average. Still a decent player but his price tag is probably too high for what he gives you.

I like Collins, but not next to Sabonis. Portis is a better fit but I think his defense is a bit overrated as well. Stewart is by far the biggest no for me. I think who Stewart is and the idea of what people think Stewart is are two completely different things.
Yeah, I don't understand the Stewart hype. He learned how to shoot this year, but nothing in his stat profile really suggests he's super impactful or some lockdown defender. And honestly, I think he's better suited at the 5 anyway, not a 4.

Herb Jones. I would give Huerter and all the draft NOLA ask for. 3 first and 2 swaps? I'll give them that. I think he is the best defender wing in the NBA. I doesn't care if he is not a scorer, we don't need him to be. But he can spread the floor, defend the best player of any team except centers. With him I think we are top tier and championship contenders.

We'd play with him, Keegan and DDR as interchangeable pieces at the SG, SF and PF positions, where DDR would defend the other teams worst offensive player and Herb and Keegan their best ones.

However I think NOLA wouldn't trade him if they don't receive a star in that pack so this is surely a personal impossible dream.

Herb Jones. I would give Huerter and all the draft NOLA ask for. 3 first and 2 swaps? I'll give them that. I think he is the best defender wing in the NBA. I doesn't care if he is not a scorer, we don't need him to be. But he can spread the floor, defend the best player of any team except centers. With him I think we are top tier and championship contenders.

We'd play with him, Keegan and DDR as interchangeable pieces at the SG, SF and PF positions, where DDR would defend the other teams worst offensive player and Herb and Keegan their best ones.

However I think NOLA wouldn't trade him if they don't receive a star in that pack so this is surely a personal impossible dream.
Yeah he’s a terrific fit on paper but he’s not realistically available. Pelicans love him (especially on that stellar contract) and they should.

We have no package that NOLA would want for Herb without including someone like Keegan, Domas, or Fox. Total non-starter. They love him that much, and for good reason.

Spurs just waived Bassey, should we look into him? He's a tremendous defender...blocking shots and team help defense is second to none which is what the Kings needed. Don't know about his shooting though...seems to dunk alot...sort of play the role similar to Looney. We have no bigs that can block shots or play this kind of defense.

We need a PF who...

• Dorian Finney-Smith
  • Grant Williams
  • Isaiah Stewart
  • Bobby Portis
  • John Collins

Dorian Finney-Smith

Grant Williams

Isaiah Stewart

Bobby Portis

John Collins

This is a great list. To me, #8 is a really important attribute. I think this backup wing has to be able to slide down to 3 for at least some part of the game. Right now, there are exactly 3 guys on the roster who can guard the 3 - Keegan, DDR, and Keon. A few things about that list. First, they all are presumably starting, so you really have to get creative with staggering minutes to have one of them at the 3 for all 48 minutes. Second, Keon is really undersized to play the 3. You might be able to get away with it for short stretches, but I wouldn't bank on it for more than 6-8 minutes per game. Third, DDR is obviously not a strong defender. He is going to play the majority of the minutes at the 3, but he will need help.

I'd rather focus on trading Huerter for a 4/3 type, instead of a 4/5 type, so I would prioritize DFS, Williams, or Johnson. Then you can add additional big bodies with your vet minimums. Guys like Precious Achiuwa, Paul Reed, Charles Bassey, Trendon Watford, Bismack Biyombo, Davis Bertans, and Harry Giles could all make sense as vet minimum 4/5s.

Fox/McLaughlin/Carter - Jones (TW)
Ellis/Monk/Colby
DDR/ (DFS or Williams or Johnson) /McDaniels - Crawford (TW)
Keegan/Lyles/Vet Minimum ??? - Jones (TW)
Sabonis/Len/Vet Minimum ???

Herb and Keon played together in college.

Considering we are close to being hard capped, I would try to sign Paul Reed and/or C. Osman with our remaining cap space to fill in the backup 4/5 and 3/4, respectively.

Unless we are able to do an even swap of Huerter for a SF/PF type, I would probably keep Huerter and have him backup the SF/SG. If he were to embrace the role of sniper off the bench, like Kyle Korver, Doug McDermott or Jason Kapono, he could be lethal coming off the bench. Shooting is always at a premium, especially off the bench.

Promote one of the 2 way contracts to a big league contract to fill out the roster (M. Jones, I. Jones or I. Crawford) and sign Boogie Ellis for the 3rd 2 way contract.

Our depth chart:

PF: Keegan / Lyles / McDaniels
SF: DeRozan / Huerter / Osman
C: Sabonis / Reed / Len
SG: Keon / Monk / Colby J
PG: Fox / Carter (IR) / M Jones or McLaughlin

Last edited: