How much can we spend to sign Bonzi? (merged)

I don't think (and others) outside just means three pointer. I'd say 16-18 can be considered outside also, which Bonzi has hit well all season.

Raja Bell is also in the Suns system with Steve Nash ;). I wouldn't say Bell's average, but is definitely a solid SG and can get it done there.

Last edited:
Barbosa shoots the same percentage(even slightly better). Is he also a great 3-pt shooter? BTW Joe Johnson had 48% last season. Bell - 44%.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
beemerr23 said:
As for Brick - Yea, Raja Bell is a sub-par shooting guard when he's 3rd in the league in 3 pointers made. Please, you guys have your facts all wrong.
Because we know that hitting open threes for the run n gun Suns is the ultimate sign of NBA quality right?

Quentin Richardson LED the NBA in three pointers last year. So what does that make hm, a superstar?

Raja Bell is avergaing 14.8pts 3.3rebs 2.6ast, and that's ont eh wild n' crazy run n' gun Suns. Last year he was 12.3pts 3.2rebs. The year before that 11.2 and 2.9. He's a barely starter. Hardly any kind of exceptional top level guy.

Bonzi said in a post game interview that this year has been great and hopefully he can be here for more years. Well at least now we know he wants to. Now it's all about how much he's willing to compromise on money to stay with a team that he likes.

RE-SIGN BONZI!! I'LL MOW YOUR LAWN!!!

From hearing Jerry Reynolds kind of reflect on this year, and look forward to the future with this team, it sounded to me like Bonzi may be a King for awhile. Lets hope! I loved when we traded for him and that Ron/Bonzi combo is just so NOT soft. I'm loving it!

B

beemerr23

Bricklayer said:
Because we know that hitting open threes for the run n gun Suns is the ultimate sign of NBA quality right?

Quentin Richardson LED the NBA in three pointers last year. So what does that make hm, a superstar?

Raja Bell is avergaing 14.8pts 3.3rebs 2.6ast, and that's ont eh wild n' crazy run n' gun Suns. Last year he was 12.3pts 3.2rebs. The year before that 11.2 and 2.9. He's a barely starter. Hardly any kind of exceptional top level guy.
I can confidently say Raja Bell is a great Shooting Guard, he nails threes and plays good defense. If you don't think he's great at what he does, you're kidding yourself.

Bonzi has never been a consistent 3 point shooter, don't get it twisted because he hit a 3 pointer to win a game for us.

B

beemerr23

I still wouldn't even call Bonzi consistent from 20 feet out, at least he doesn't do it enough on a consistent basis to stretch the D.

Raja Bell isn't anything. He's an average player that's a Bowen wannabe turned good thanks to Mike D'antoni and Steve Nash. Look at what Quentin Richardson did last year and what he's doing this year. He was a good player last year and he hasn't been that good this year. Look at Joe Johnson's three point % last year and compare it to this year. Steve Nash makes things easier for guys who can shoot and the suns system does the same thing because they get open looks. You can run and shoot and Steve Nash will make your job A LOT easier.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
beemerr23 said:
I can confidently say Raja Bell is a great Shooting Guard, he nails threes and plays good defense. If you don't think he's great at what he does, you're kidding yourself.

Bonzi has never been a consistent 3 point shooter, don't get it twisted because he hit a 3 pointer to win a game for us.
He is a nice roleplaying OFF guard, nothing more, nothing less. Same as he has always been. He hits three pointers. That's cute. So did Steve Kerr. You can't be a "great" anything when I can name 10 guys at your position who are unquestionably better than you without even thinking about it. (and before we even go there, Allen, Richardson, Kobe, Ginobili, Wade, Carter, Redd, Hughes, Johnson, Rip), and at least as many that 9 out of 10 NBA watchers would say are better than you as well (Igoudala, Mobley, Jackson, Jones, Stackhouse, Bonzi, Davis, Butler, Harpring, Gordon/Heinrich etc.).

B

beemerr23

The point I'm trying to make is, Bonzi doesn't stretch the defense, so everyone clogs the lane. If we had a Shooting Guard who could step out and make the 3, like Raja Bell or someone who can hit it consistently, we'd be a lot better off. This forces your man to stick with you and frees up double teams in the post, making Artest/Shareef's job easier. Instead, you have Bonzi trying to work it inside too. Most of Bonzi's game is inside, not jumpshooting.

Also - don't bring up QRich, he's been hurt all year like Kings113 said, and he's playing on a messed up Knicks team. Joe Johnson didn't excel just because he was in the Suns offense with Steve Nash, he's been great all of this year as well.

I see both sides on this one. It would be great to have someone who can stretch the defense and make teams pay for collapsing in the lane, but as Brick says, Bonzi/Artest presents a matchup nightmare because teams can't just stick their strong guy on Artest and their finesse guy on Bonzi -- someone's going to get bruised inside. At the same time, there isn't a guy in the league who can really handle Artest down low, and an outside shooter might take some pressure off Ron and allow him to operate more freely.

Bonzi's not great at playing off the ball and he's not a great passer, so he and Artest together have a tendency to stall the offense. I'm not so sure the benefit of having a matchup problem makes for a better offense than having a consistent outside shooter at teh 2. And yet I'd rather have Bonzi than someone like Raja Bell, because Bonzi brings intangibles. Basically, short of Ray Allen or someone of his ilk or a big man through a S&T, I'd take Bonzi.

B

beemerr23

nbrans said:
I see both sides on this one. It would be great to have someone who can stretch the defense and make teams pay for collapsing in the lane, but as Brick says, Bonzi/Artest presents a matchup nightmare because teams can't just stick their strong guy on Artest and their finesse guy on Bonzi -- someone's going to get bruised inside. At the same time, there isn't a guy in the league who can really handle Artest down low, and an outside shooter might take some pressure off Ron and allow him to operate more freely.

Bonzi's not great at playing off the ball and he's not a great passer, so he and Artest together have a tendency to stall the offense. I'm not so sure the benefit of having a matchup problem makes for a better offense than having a consistent outside shooter at teh 2. And yet I'd rather have Bonzi than someone like Raja Bell, because Bonzi brings intangibles. Basically, short of Ray Allen or someone of his ilk or a big man through a S&T, I'd take Bonzi.
Finally, someone who sees it my way. Kudos, agreed to the fullest. :eek:

nbrans said:
At the same time, there isn't a guy in the league who can really handle Artest down low
I thought of this yesterday and I think only Ben Wallace can prevent Ron from going inside(that would be a very interesting matchup;) ).