How much can we spend to sign Bonzi? (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, I don't want to pledge it all right away. I always hold a little back in case of emergency...

;)

Seriously, I don't think there's a cast in concrete amount. It depends on how badly the Maloofs want to keep him, on what other deals Petrie has in mind, etc. There are a couple of threads around from a while back that talk about whether or not he should be re-signed and for how much.

R

Rome

I think we need him back. He's been the only consistent rebounder on this team and he's a very good defensive player. Martin is quick but he still needs to get some weight into that body of his if he wants to compete with the elite.

B

beemerr23

use him for trade bait and get an elite SG, like Raja Bell or someone of his caliber, who can knock down shots and spread the floor. no need to have another 6'7 post up player. I say this because Bonzi can't hit an outside shot, so Bibby is pressured to make up for our lack of 3 point shooting. Once you have that second perimeter scoring threat, the defense needs to stay close to him, opening up things in the middle for post players. Artest isn't consistent enough to be taking as many 3 pointers as he has been, we need an elite Shooting Guard, not another post up player with Artest/Shareef.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raja Bell is not an elite shooting guard. He's an above average SG that gets away with a lot of stuff on D and hits open shots. Raja's not leaving Phoenix anyways.

On topic: We can spend however much we want to re-sign Bonzi. We have his bird rights. It depends on how much Geoff and the Maloofs WANT to spend on him though.

B

beemerr23

I was just using him as an example, I know there are better SG's, but he's a very good role player. I know we won't land him either, just using him as an example. :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bell's not even average. Just pumped up by Nash.

As for Bonzi -- consider that he is already making 8-9mil this year. That means that potentially you could resign him for anything up to that amount wihtout adding a cent to your payroll. Its just a question of whetehr you would have the money left to address other needs.

Theoretically the Kings can give Bonzi the max, but that isn't happening.

In 2005-2006 the salary cap was $49.5 million. Obviously the Kings exceeded that. The luxury tax threshold for 2005-2006 was $61.7 million. Kings payroll is around $58 million this year, so they're under the tax paying level. The Maloofs don't want to be tax-payers (frankly I don't blame them), so the real amount the Kings will have to spend in the offseason will depend on where the luxury tax level will be in 2006-2007.

Where will the luxury tax be in 2006-2007? We don't know yet, but with the current CBA it's set before the offseason so teams know where they stand. Player salaries are appreciating, so even without Bonzi the team salary will be somewhere around $55 million. If the Kings were to re-up Bonzi for the $8 he makes now, that puts the team at $63 million without addressing any other needs.

Looking at the free agent market in the offseason, the only teams with much cap space will be Chicago, Toronto, New Orleans and Charlotte. I don't really see any of those teams splurging on Bonzi given their needs. Chicago will probably use its cap space to work on a trade for someone like KG or Jermaine O'Neal, Toronto will probably re-sign Mike James, and Charlotte is biding its time until 2007. New Orleans is a possibility, but they could use some shooting and will probably re-sign Rasual Butler.

So, given that landscape, the most teams will probably be offering Bonzi is the MLE, which will be somewhere around $5.5 million for five years. So if the Kings are going to re-sign Bonzi he's probably not going to get a better deal than the 6 years $6 million the Kings would probably offer him or be able to use to facilitate a S&T.

Re-upping Bonzi for $6 million would put the Kings at about $61 million, and possibly leave open the use of all or part of the MLE on a backup point guard or backup center. And now the Kings have $10 million in expiring contracts (Corliss, Potapenko) to dangle in a trade for a star.

Last edited:
Mike James has a player option for 06-07, and yah Scott does want the Hornets to re-sign Butler.

I like your idea, nbrans.

BMiller52 said:
Raja Bell is not an elite shooting guard. He's an above average SG that gets away with a lot of stuff on D and hits open shots. Raja's not leaving Phoenix anyways.

On topic: We can spend however much we want to re-sign Bonzi. We have his bird rights. It depends on how much Geoff and the Maloofs WANT to spend on him though.
Agreed.

If we can't re-sign Bonzi, I'd like to see Crawford or Butler (bench) to replace his spot.

Last edited:
I still think the ideal is a S&T for someone like Nene - by the time a 6 year deal ends Bonzi will be 35, and not very tradable in the meantime.

That would be great if we could bring Bonzi back at around 6 mil. a year. But I am almost positive he is going to be one of the top FA's this offseason. I see him coming back more than I did Cat though.

well if u think about it... bonzi isnt super young, and this wil likly be his last contract. He would be foolish to leave an organization he likes for money purposes. He is worth exactly what the mid level is, 6 mil, increasing around .5 each year for 5 years or so. By the time he is in his last year, he would be making in the 8 mil balpark just like his last contract. I think we keep him, he is a perfect compliment to our defensive mindset, and a great offensive player.

beemerr23 said:
use him for trade bait and get an elite SG, like Raja Bell or someone of his caliber, who can knock down shots and spread the floor. no need to have another 6'7 post up player. I say this because Bonzi can't hit an outside shot, so Bibby is pressured to make up for our lack of 3 point shooting. Once you have that second perimeter scoring threat, the defense needs to stay close to him, opening up things in the middle for post players. Artest isn't consistent enough to be taking as many 3 pointers as he has been, we need an elite Shooting Guard, not another post up player with Artest/Shareef.
Bozni can't hit from the outside?? Since when?

Kings113 said:
Indeed, Bonzi has a solid consistent jumper, and has shown he can hit the three when needed and open. Which is when it's done.
I don't know if I would say consistent. He still can be a streaky shooter, but I do agree that part of his game has actually improved.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Still, shooting isn't the strongest part of Bonzi's game.
Not close.

It really is the weakness, and certainly something where you can find a lot of guys better. That said...so the bleep what at some point? Bonzi this year has been an absolute nightmare for opposing coaches to matchup with. Teamed with Ron you put coaches in an impossible situationj. There are teams out there who could guard one postup little (Roon) and one outside shooter -- teams who have that one strong smaller player. But NOBODY has two of them...except us. When paired we have a mismatch in there every night. If we go more conventional, it better be foir a major upgrade.

W

West_Gunslinger16

About "How much can spend to sign Bonzi?"

I read on a report (ESPN I think) few months ago that J.O'Neal wanted Bonzi to be a Pacer. So let's trade him for Stepehen Jackson so him Artest and the Kings will be "Bad Boys 4 Lyf"!:D:D:D

Artest + Jackson = TOTAL MAYHEM.

West_Gunslinger16 said:

On the court, off the court, and in the lockerroom... Those two mix about as well as water and oil(they don't).

Bonzi's better than Stephen Jackson anyways.

BTW-wrong forum.

Bricklayer

LPKingsFan said:
So... pair Ron, Bonzi, and a guy like Brent Barry off the bench?
Well, the question becomes, the kids. How good are they? Can they fulfill those roles? Is Kevin in particular going to be given the starting role next year for both fiscal/youth reasons?

Obviously if Bonzi, Ron, Kevin, Cisco all returned next year, there's no room for a Brent Barry or anyone similar. This summer could go just about any direction at each one of those 4 spots except Ron's. Could see Ron, BNonzi w/ Kevin/Cisco backing up. Ron/Kevin with Bonzi bakcing up. Ron/Bonzi with a shooter backing up. Ron/Kevin with Cisco and/or a FA backing up...who knows?

I like S-Jack, but not over Bonzi. Bonzi w/ someone for S-Jack/Harrison or Granger or Foster? I'm in. Not sure about the locker-room stuff though.

Stephen Jackson is a terrible basketball player. I'd take Bonzi over Stephen a thousand times over

West_Gunslinger16 said:
I read on a report (ESPN I think) few months ago that J.O'Neal wanted Bonzi to be a Pacer. So let's trade him for Stepehen Jackson so him Artest and the Kings will be "Bad Boys 4 Lyf"!:D:D:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
West_Gunslinger16 said:

This is just silly...

Jermaine O'Neal wanted Bonzi to be a Pacer. Now it appears O'Neal himself might be on the trading block.

Sorry, but I don't want "total mayhem" on my team.

:rolleyes:

B

beemerr23

DocHolliday said:
Bozni can't hit from the outside?? Since when?
Since he's 10 for 45 from 3 point land, that's when. Yea, TEN 3 pointers all year.

VF21 said:
Now, Doc. Don't go confusing him with silly things like facts and stuff...

;)
I don't want to confuse you with this stat, but 10 for 45 is .222 from beyond the arc.

As for Brick - Yea, Raja Bell is a sub-par shooting guard when he's 3rd in the league in 3 pointers made. Please, you guys have your facts all wrong.