Horford Opting out?

^^ I love all of that except Willie.
I've been on record saying that:
  • I would match a $4-$6 mil/year offer sheet for Cauley-Stein with the intention of keeping him.
  • I would match a $7-$10 mil/year offer sheet for Cauley-Stein with the intention of trading him for value later.
  • I would let him walk if he signs for $11+ mil/year
In that scenario, he would be an asset we retain to trade and balance the roster later.

The post was to illustrate that we could sign all of those guys while still retaining Cauley-Stein. You have to admit that Cauley-Stein would be one of the best backup Cs in the league.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
  • I would match a $4-$6 mil/year offer sheet for Cauley-Stein with the intention of keeping him.
  • I would match a $7-$10 mil/year offer sheet for Cauley-Stein with the intention of trading him for value later.
In that scenario, he would be an asset we retain to trade and balance the roster later.

The post was to illustrate that we could sign all of those guys while still retaining Cauley-Stein. You have to admit that Cauley-Stein would be one of the best backup Cs in the league.
Sure... but Giles will be better than Willie in short order. He’s my backup center with intention of starting within a few seasons.

Absolutely but he could also be someone that is the grumpiest player in the league because of his role. He is a different cat and I am not sure that his attitude towards being a back up C would be all that great to have in the locker room.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Maybe I am wrong about this and I am reading too much into it but to me, this has Kings written all over it.

Who else is in market for a C that can do everything that Horford does but will not be playing huge minutes to take away playing time from other players (read Bagley and Giles).

It is a huge number though!
It’s both ballsy and potentially very stupid.

Calling cards of Vlade the GM.

Honestly, would love to just pay him a much higher AAV to keep it to a 3 year deal. That 4th year is going to get messy once we have to add Bagley to the pay roll after already giving money to Fox/Giles/Buddy/Bogdan.

If we go 4 years, we have to be okay with losing Bogdan or Barnes. The money just doesn't work.
4th year might be partially guaranteed going by our past deals with veterans.

It might be a couple of millions guaranteed in the final year. Bottom line would be that Horford still walks away with at least $75 million from the deal. Could work really well for both parties.

Honestly, would love to just pay him a much higher AAV to keep it to a 3 year deal. That 4th year is going to get messy once we have to add Bagley to the pay roll after already giving money to Fox/Giles/Buddy/Bogdan.

If we go 4 years, we have to be okay with losing Bogdan or Barnes. The money just doesn't work.
You won't have cap once it is time to sign Bagley anyways.

It will be gone, you get Bird Rights before that, you can go over.

Would be very risky. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down since he's become a "savvy vet" the last handful of years but he's guaranteed to slow down or drop off a cliff at some point during the next 4 years.

I really like Horford but I think I'd spend the money on perimeter players and let our big men develop after picking up a cheaper Dedmon type player.

Giles came along nicely last year. His +/- was -10.1 before the All Star break and +7.7 after. His skills are of the Horford mold.

You won't have cap once it is time to sign Bagley anyways.

It will be gone, you get Bird Rights before that, you can go over.
Right, but if:

Fox-Max contract
Horford- $25 mil
Buddy-$17-20+ mil/season
Giles-who knows, but we'll just say $10+ mil at least
Barnes- More than likey 18+mil
Bogdan- 12-15 mil

Somewhere in the range of 110 mil for those guys. And if Bagley becomes a max guy, you're in cap hell with 7 guys on board.

Can't rely on paying the luxury tax to bail you out. We have a window in the next 2-3 years where we can absorb a big FA contract without losing hte young core, but it anything past that gets super dicey once we pay Bagley.

Maybe they are betting on giles taking over by then so they can let horford walk after that

Right, but if:

Fox-Max contract
Horford- $25 mil
Buddy-$17-20+ mil/season
Bogdan- 12-15 mil

Somewhere in the range of 110 mil for those guys. And if Bagley becomes a max guy, you're in cap hell with 7 guys on board.

Can't rely on paying the luxury tax to bail you out. We have a window in the next 2-3 years where we can absorb a big FA contract without losing hte young core, but it anything past that gets super dicey once we pay Bagley.
Just imagine if we win it all within those 4 years... I know I'm dreaming but man soo worth it

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^^ If we sign both Horford (25?) and Barnes (18?) how much room would we have left? I assume not enough for Beverly.

But that would be amazing.

Al
Bags
Barnes
Buddy
Fox

Is a legit starting 5
Yes it is with Bogdan, Giles and Bjelica to some off the bench. Not bad at all.

Of course you are banking on continual improvement from the youngsters and veteran leadership from Al and Barnes which is a pretty good spot to be in.

^^ If we sign both Horford (25?) and Barnes (18?) how much room would we have left? I assume not enough for Beverly.

But that would be amazing.

if you look at my post in Barnes thread

Fox,Beverly 6.4, 12
Buddy,Bogie 4.9,8.5
Barnes 20
Marv,Bjelly,Sannigan 8.6,6.8,2.0
Horford.Giles 25, 2.6
Dead Money 2.1

10 players , 99 mil

Brewer,Mason,3-2nd picks sg,sf,c with 10mil cap space

We Win the off season!

Last edited:
Right, but if:

Fox-Max contract
Horford- $25 mil
Buddy-$17-20+ mil/season
Bogdan- 12-15 mil

Absorb means you want assets, that's a seperate but legitimate thing to consider.

If you fine your wine before then, and as long as Vivek pays the bills later Golden.

But the argument of drawing assets before we get there is a fair consideration.

I don't see many worth much out there, was what we were supposed to do in years past. Times have shifted.

Last edited: