Horford Opting out?

Yossi Gozlan @YoggiMane

about 32 minutes ago

The more I think about it, Dallas feels like the team who has a four year $100M+ standing offer on the table for Al Horford. Their cap space window likely ends after this offseason. They need to spend it now.

Peter Vecsey @PeterVecsey1

about 1 hour ago

Want 2 know why Horford believes there’s more $ & more years out there than what C’s offered? Tampering, anyone? Same goes 4 Kyrie; he can want Nets but how does he know Nets want him?Tampering, anybody?! I know, Adam, parent team must lodge protest or league aint looking into it

View attachment 9204
Beverley better be great at shooting to balance out all that red from aminu if we "don't give up much in shooting"
Well yeah Beverly has basically been a 40% shooter from deep the last few years.

Lot of red in that shot chart but look at how many mid range shots Aminu takes. Like one every 2 games. You can pretty much just ignore anything other than his shot chart at the rim and beyond the arc. He's below average in 2 spots, average in 2 spots and above average in 1 spot. Basically average. His advanced stats have also been much better than Barnes for quite some time now. I think if he comes to the Kings he will even out a bit and be around as effective as Barnes but he will cost much less and give the Kings a huge boost in something they lack, defense. If you pair him with Beverly now you've boosted the defense to a whole other level.

For some reason I thought Horford was 36. He is 33 and will be for the whole season next year.

IMHO, he has at least 2 good seasons left in the tank, possibly 3 so a 3 year deal or a 4 year partially guaranteed is not a bad option provided that we would want Bagley and Giles to get some significant development time over the next couple of seasons before taking complete ownership of the front court in year 3 of his new deal.

This could work our pretty well. It could not work out just as likely. Al might decline quicker than anticipated and Giles and Bagley could come on much quicker than expected (a bit like Fox last season) and take full ownership of the front court as soon as next season or the season after. At that point you have a pretty bad contract on your hands.

They're saying the nets are a possible landing spot for horford. With ties to the head coach and cap space. It seems to me the past few years whenever the kings want something, the nets are the ones that get it.

Would be very risky. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down since he's become a "savvy vet" the last handful of years but he's guaranteed to slow down or drop off a cliff at some point during the next 4 years.

I really like Horford but I think I'd spend the money on perimeter players and let our big men develop after picking up a cheaper Dedmon type player.

Giles came along nicely last year. His +/- was -10.1 before the All Star break and +7.7 after. His skills are of the Horford mold.
I wonder if that Stein tweet is a little bit of posturing by his agent. It's just hard to believe someone committing 4 years to him for that amount of money after teams have gotten burned over and over again by the huge contracts to not franchise players the last 5 years.
View attachment 9204
Beverley better be great at shooting to balance out all that red from aminu if we "don't give up much in shooting"
Lol did you even look at the zones? All the red is like 10 shots a piece. The bigger takeaway is Aminu knows not to take dumb shots in the mid-range, which is a major positive.

I wonder if that Stein tweet is a little bit of posturing by his agent. It's just hard to believe someone committing 4 years to him for that amount of money after teams have gotten burned over and over again by the huge contracts to not franchise players the last 5 years.

Lol did you even look at the zones? All the red is like 10 shots a piece. The bigger takeaway is Aminu knows not to take dumb shots in the mid-range, which is a major positive.
Did you look at the whole picture? He also is red from about half of the 3s. So he's average point blank. He's below avg/avg from the corner. Below avg/avg from angle 3s. And only above avg from straight on. But that's from 21 shots so if you are going with the few shots don't count argument you have a below avg/avg shooter. Just because he's bad at taking bad shots doesn't change that. So maybe you think that overall shooting % is good enough to be considered as us not giving up much in shooting if we get him, but I don't.

Did you look at the whole picture? He also is red from about half of the 3s. So he's average point blank. He's below avg/avg from the corner. Below avg/avg from angle 3s. And only above avg from straight on. But that's from 21 shots so if you are going with the few shots don't count argument you have a below avg/avg shooter. Just because he's bad at taking bad shots doesn't change that. So maybe you think that overall shooting % is good enough to be considered as us not giving up much in shooting if we get him, but I don't.
Last 4 years he's shot 36%, 33%, 37% and 34%. You wouldn't go from a 39% 3 point shooter to a 35% shooter who nabs about 4 more rebounds per36 and plays much much better defense? Aminu has been a much more effective player over the course of his career. It's all about fit. Do the Kings need Barnes' offense at the price he is going to demand when they already have Fox, Hield, Bagley and Bogi carrying the offensive load? Or would you rather have Aminu who isn't going to demand a lot of shots but will be the best defender on the floor and cost about 60% of what Barnes will cost?

For me it's simple. He fits, he's cheaper and he's better overall.

Right, but if:

Fox-Max contract
Horford- $25 mil
Buddy-$17-20+ mil/season
Giles-who knows, but we'll just say $10+ mil at least
Barnes- More than likey 18+mil
Bogdan- 12-15 mil

Somewhere in the range of 110 mil for those guys. And if Bagley becomes a max guy, you're in cap hell with 7 guys on board.

Can't rely on paying the luxury tax to bail you out. We have a window in the next 2-3 years where we can absorb a big FA contract without losing hte young core, but it anything past that gets super dicey once we pay Bagley.
Is it "cap hell" to have your key 7-man rotation locked in? If it were just 3-4 guys, I'd be more concerned.

Last 4 years he's shot 36%, 33%, 37% and 34%. You wouldn't go from a 39% 3 point shooter to a 35% shooter who nabs about 4 more rebounds per36 and plays much much better defense? Aminu has been a much more effective player over the course of his career. It's all about fit. Do the Kings need Barnes' offense at the price he is going to demand when they already have Fox, Hield, Bagley and Bogi carrying the offensive load? Or would you rather have Aminu who isn't going to demand a lot of shots but will be the best defender on the floor and cost about 60% of what Barnes will cost?

Barnes is a more versatile defender than Aminu. Aminu has carved himself a nice niche as a true small ball stretchy PF. I wouldn't mind seeing him next to someone like Barnes at the 4 and they would be fairly switchable, but Barnes has the talent to take over a game and the willingness to play 3rd wheel. You can't let someone like that go with the team the Kings are building. He's too perfect a fit.

Is it "cap hell" to have your key 7-man rotation locked in? If it were just 3-4 guys, I'd be more concerned.
Cap hell is all relative anyway. One thing everyone has to remember is how overinflated the values of teams are. When you're team is worth 2 billion or whatever, paying some luxury is as simple as getting a low or no interest loan I'd bet. At some point that market will crash but until then you play it forward.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No on Horford. I love him as a player, but he's looking for a three or four year contract and that would be cap hell for the Kings because of his diminished game when he's 35-36 years old

We prob will just have to agree to disagree. But I do see your point of overall player and price vs price of contracts.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would be disappointed if it’s is that’s unmovable and detrimental to getting any other quality player for 4 years. This move better put us over the top

I would be disappointed if it’s is that’s unmovable and detrimental to getting any other quality player for 4 years. This move better put us over the top

The Kings will have to pay the piper on their young guys anyway. If they want to keep players like Buddy, Bogdan, and Fox they are going to watch that space get hammered away anyway. If they want to make a splash without deduction first they pretty much have to do it now.

It is, but I think I'd rather have Horford at 112 Million than Vuvevic at the max which IIRC is around 140 Million (though I do want us to explore signing him too).

If Horford was like 2 years younger that would be an absolute no brainer.
I would be shocked if Vucevic commands the max. He would be an absolute albatross of a contract.

If maxed, he’d be (roughly) tied for the 11th highest paid player in the league next year.

There will be no other opportunities to add hugh level players down the track. This is the summer to strike because Buddy, Bogdan, Fox, Giles and Bagley will be all up for new deals starting in about 12 months time. This is the summer to make the move. If we don’t then the ship has sailed in terms of adding high quality talent via FA without losing our talent in the process.