Horford Opting out?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Great mentor, but does he fit the pace we are going to play at? If reports are we won’t go after Vuc because he doesn’t fit, not sure Horford fits.

Man idk. Horford is legitimately awesome and would actually significantly impact our ability to make the playoffs the next 2 seasons, but I reaaallly don't want to pay him 30+mil at 37 years old.

tough call. 2 years would be amazing. 3 years not great, but acceptable. 4 years would cost us a core piece down the line.

Great mentor, but does he fit the pace we are going to play at? If reports are we won’t go after Vuc because he doesn’t fit, not sure Horford fits.
Quite a few differences between the 2. Vuc is a throw-back offensive focal point C that's not really well-suited to ever be a great defender in this NBA because he can't hedge out onto the perimeter. Horford is an extremely talented passer/defensive anchor that can space the floor with real volume and has shown time and time again he's an amazing vet leader. Vuc is super talented, but his a lot of his skill-set resides around his ability to score as a big man and rebounding (which would obviously help). Horford would immediately help turn the defense around and space the floor for Bagley to operate in the post on offense.

Man idk. Horford is legitimately awesome and would actually significantly impact our ability to make the playoffs the next 2 seasons, but I reaaallly don't want to pay him 30+mil at 37 years old.

tough call. 2 years would be amazing. 3 years not great, but acceptable. 4 years would cost us a core piece down the line.
I think thats fair. To Horfords credit he such a smart player and contributes so many ways that I think he will age well. I haven’t really thought how it would affect paying guys down the road.

I know one thing you have to strike when the iron is hot because things can change fast. You can go from looking like a contender for years to come to a lottery team in a matter of a few tweets

In 1998 there was this over-30 savvy vet center who decided to sign with the Sacramento Kings, and that helped jumpstart the one golden era in Sacramento basketball history.

Let’s make history repeat, y’all.
Vlade was 30yearsold when he came here.. Horford is already 33.

I’m fine with giving Horford a 3 year contract, but 4? No way. He’s 33 years old already...
3 would still be fine. That final year would be a little sticky: (Fox/Buddy/Bogdan/Giles/Barnes?) would all have new contracts by then, but you still have Bagley on his rookie deal by then.

A lot can happen in 4 years, but if he declines steadily, like say Pau Gasol, he will be an average starting center at 37.

In 3 years, what will a starting center be worth? Especially one who fits the offense as a shooter and passer, and provides veteran leadership? If I had to choose, I would take Horford in decline over WCS or a Vuc.

Hopefully they structure the contract so its front loaded. Then it could be a good deal.

I’m fine with giving Horford a 3 year contract, but 4? No way. He’s 33 years old already...

Entity

Hall of Famer
I’m starting to think Boston really low balled him. They haven’t had any contact with Kyrie and Davis is our. KD is our. Why would they tie up a lot of cap on an aging center? They have 3 first round picks and could move up in the draft. Still young with Tatum. Already 32 mil tied up with Hayward. They may be on the verge of starting over. I’m thinking they offered less than 20 a year for 3 years

I’m starting to think Boston really low balled him. They haven’t had any contact with Kyrie and Davis is our. KD is our. Why would they tie up a lot of cap on an aging center? They have 3 first round picks and could move up in the draft. Still young with Tatum. Already 32 mil tied up with Hayward. They may be on the verge of starting over. I’m thinking they offered less than 20 a year for 3 years
Something stinks in Boston. I'm not precisely sure what it is, but it is on Ainge's shoes.

Horford will likely look to join Kahwai with the Clippers. But with Barnes opting out things could get interesting.

It’s probably a remote chance but what team is better:
Horford, Gallinari, Leonard, Williams, Gilgeous-Alexander..... Montrez Harrell, Landry Shamet, Robinson

Horford, Bagley, Leonard, Hield, Fox..... Bogdanovic, Bjeli, Giles,

Then offer 28,26,24 3 yrs 78 mil

Barnes 80 over 4 yrs,

We would still have 19 mil to get backup PG

12 mil for Beverly

Barnes,Horford,Beverly That is A+ Offseason and playoffs

7mil for Brewer,Mason,3 2n rd picks

Then offer 28,26,24 3 yrs 78 mil

Barnes 80 over 4 yrs,

We would still have 19 mil to get backup PG

12 mil for Beverly

Barnes,Horford,Beverly That is A+ Offseason and playoffs

7mil for Brewer,Mason,3 2n rd picks
Technically, we could sign:
  • Barnes for $20 mil/year (8% increases)
  • Horford for $20 mil/year (8% increases)
  • Beverley for $15 mil/year (8% increases)
  • Cauley-Stein for $10 mil/year (8% increases)
  • V.Carter/Shumpert/Temple to the Room Exception

PG - Fox / Beverley / Ferrell
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic / Temple
SF - Barnes / #40 / #47
PF - Bagley / Bjelica / Swanigan
C - Horford / Cauley-Stein / Giles

That's only if we're of the mindset of wanting to win right now without focusing on the future.

Interesting timing of Horford breaking off negotiations with the Celtics after it all looked like he was going to re-sing on a 3 year deal.

I wonder what team got on the phone to Horford's agent. We did something similar with Bjelica (albeit after he agreed to terms with Philly).

Horford would be fit on SO many levels for this team. Age is the obvious downside but can't help but feel that Bagley and Giles could soak up a lot of knowledge from Horford. If he were only about 3 years younger it would be a simple decision for us.

Nuggets did something similar with Millsap but from memory Millsap was younger. Horford could start, play solid minutes (not huge) but not take away from the development of Bagley and Giles. Towards the end of that deal he becomes a big off the bench while Bagley and Giles take a lot more ownership of the franchise by then.

Could work but obviously Al's health, the length of the deal and the amount involved will all determine if it is a good move or not. In terms of fit, Horford is a pretty good fit for what we are looking for except the age profile.

Interesting timing of Horford breaking off negotiations with the Celtics after it all looked like he was going to re-sing on a 3 year deal.

I wonder what team got on the phone to Horford's agent. We did something similar with Bjelica (albeit after he agreed to terms with Philly).

Horford would be fit on SO many levels for this team. Age is the obvious downside but can't help but feel that Bagley and Giles could soak up a lot of knowledge from Horford. If he were only about 3 years younger it would be a simple decision for us.

Nuggets did something similar with Millsap but from memory Millsap was younger. Horford could start, play solid minutes (not huge) but not take away from the development of Bagley and Giles. Towards the end of that deal he becomes a big off the bench while Bagley and Giles take a lot more ownership of the franchise by then.

Could work but obviously Al's health, the length of the deal and the amount involved will all determine if it is a good move or not. In terms of fit, Horford is a pretty good fit for what we are looking for except the age profile.
None. They cant talk till July 1st. Bjelica agreed with philly then backed out to return to Europe. Vlade talked him into staying in the NBA.

None. They cant talk till July 1st. Bjelica agreed with philly then backed out to return to Europe. Vlade talked him into staying in the NBA.
Do you honestly think that teams and agents/players don't talk to each other prior to July 1?

C'mon now we all know its rubbish otherwise we would not be having these updates that player X has agreed to terms with team Y as soon as the FA period starts.

Its one of those rules that no one follows and there is not repocussions for breaking them as long as you do it on the quiet and not in public.