Holmes re-signs

Grade the move

• Total voters
Given some of the crazy money handed out to players today, this Holmes deal is almost a bargain. Fair deal for everyone.

We could offer up to ~$46.5m over 4 years and anything over that would have to be some performance based incentives and/or trade kickers. So roughly $11.6m

Noel signed for 3 year $32m deal with the Knicks today which is roughly $10.67m.

Bottom line is that Holmes is a much better player than Noel and there only around $1m per season difference between the two (and Holmes is around for 4 years).

We can't complain about that! Very good, cap friendly deal.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
OK, who is pulling these creative contracts/incentive based contracts out of their backsides in Sac? This is better than an incentive based one but still.
Probably the agent, Pedro Power. Gotta flex by showing an inflated # even though he just got the exact deal he was getting all along. But Pedro Power got him a number $6-10 million over what everyone else was saying. We should all sign with Pedro Power.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Probably the agent, Pedro Power. Gotta flex by showing an inflated # even though he just got the exact deal he was getting all along. But Pedro Power got him a number $6-10 million over what everyone else was saying. We should all sign with Pedro Power.

Flex until you need to trade him. Which when you are a team that has had a 16 year playoff drought you need to keep in the back your mind. There will come a point where the next GM up has to clean things up. Good luck getting a good one to pick up the garbage when that happens.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Flex until you need to trade him. Which when you are a team that has had a 16 year playoff drought you need to keep in the back your mind. There will come a point where the next GM up has to clean things up. Good luck getting a good one to pick up the garbage when that happens.
Players can usually waive them, which they do if they get traded to a better team. Which in the Kings case isn't particularly a hard thing to do.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Gave it a C, but if it’s $46m, B-. $11.6m per is digestible.
Yeah, nice to have him back but there's still a lot of work to do before we even can assume this won't turn into a cluster F of position battles that see value sapped from someone. Without the kicker it's a B, but that's a huge trade kicker man. HUUUUUGE!

Yeah, nice to have him back but there's still a lot of work to do before we even can assume this won't turn into a cluster F of position battles that see value sapped from someone. Without the kicker it's a B, but that's a huge trade kicker man. HUUUUUGE!
Do we know if it is a trade kicker itself or performance bonuses and a trade kicker?

Given some of the crazy money handed out to players today, this Holmes deal is almost a bargain. Fair deal for everyone.

We could offer up to ~$46.5m over 4 years and anything over that would have to be some performance based incentives and/or trade kickers. So roughly $11.6m

Noel signed for 3 year $32m deal with the Knicks today which is roughly $10.67m.

Bottom line is that Holmes is a much better player than Noel and there only around $1m per season difference between the two (and Holmes is around for 4 years).

We can't complain about that! Very good, cap friendly deal.
Kelly O got 3/$37. I like holmes contract better if it’s close to the EBR numbers mentioned. Plus if he’s hitting incentives, hopefully the team is doing well. Maybe one of the incentives is reaching the playoffs ;)

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Do we know if it is a trade kicker itself or performance bonuses and a trade kicker?
I read trade kicker somewhere. It better not be one of these incentive based deals. That's the bane of the existence of pure basketball unless it's based around team success. Giving guys like Buddy a contract based on the number of 3's he takes and makes is just a bad idea.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I gave it a B because it's basically turning in your homework on time here and for this team to turn the corner RH is a backup.

But people spent much of the last year lamenting who we were going to have to trade for nothing so we could clear space, and now we are complaining about incentives and kickers he'll probably never get when even if he did it would pay out around 13.5-14 million per year. C'mon guys.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I gave it a B because it's basically turning in your homework on time here and for this team to turn the corner RH is a backup.

But people spent much of the last year lamenting who we were going to have to trade for nothing so we could clear space, and now we are complaining about incentives and kickers he'll probably never get when even if he did it would pay out around 13.5-14 million per year. C'mon guys.
Kickers can complicate trades though so you can't discredit that. I also think this time last year many people wouldn't have thought the Kings would bring back Len, Harkless, draft a PG, bring back Luke Walton, and re-sign Holmes at this point. This will be interesting for sure.

Now the question is how to move from buddy and bagley. We need to generate some depth at 3 and get some perimeter defense going. Super stoked the TT deal fell through. Id rather have Len and DW (who I really want to use the nickname Dark Wing for... As in "Jr Uh Oh" and "Dark Wing" made them have an "Off Night" !) than TT any day. It gives us tremendous leverage with TD who will likely resign as i think we can still offer the most for him (at least for 1 year QO), BUT we need to flip some of these guys for better wing defense and ideally a shot blocker (looking at myles turner)

Now the question is how to move from buddy and bagley. We need to generate some depth at 3 and get some perimeter defense going. Super stoked the TT deal fell through. Id rather have Len and DW (who I really want to use the nickname Dark Wing for... As in "Jr Uh Oh" and "Dark Wing" made them have an "Off Night" !) than TT any day. It gives us tremendous leverage with TD who will likely resign as i think we can still offer the most for him (at least for 1 year QO), BUT we need to flip some of these guys for better wing defense and ideally a shot blocker (looking at myles turner)
Hield had a poor season, but I think he can turn it around. I'm not as optimistic on Bagley with his injury laundry-list.

Hield had a poor season, but I think he can turn it around. I'm not as optimistic on Bagley with his injury laundry-list.
Literally my only major problem with buddy is his willingness to be a team player. He is better off the bench, its better for the team and his numbers. In that second unit with Mitchell and Wright, he could be a killer and not be asked to play anything but passable defense. He likely would still be in the 5 player lineup that finishes the game (fox/hali/buddy/Barnes/holmes). Bagley has injury and attitude problems. He can be a star if he can stay on the court but that is the big issue for him. But he seems to think the reat of the team is holding him back (you know, not the 52%of the possible 247 games he's missed).

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Literally my only major problem with buddy is his willingness to be a team player. He is better off the bench, its better for the team and his numbers. In that second unit with Mitchell and Wright, he could be a killer and not be asked to play anything but passable defense. He likely would still be in the 5 player lineup that finishes the game (fox/hali/buddy/Barnes/holmes). Bagley has injury and attitude problems. He can be a star if he can stay on the court but that is the big issue for him. But he seems to think the reat of the team is holding him back (you know, not the 52%of the possible 247 games he's missed).
It's all about minutes and production with him though. Play him backup minutes and he puts up the coinciding productivity and what appears to be a good contract can become an albatross. And this franchise has learned that time and again. Some people were overjoyed at the deal JT signed, then proceeded to watch Vlade melt a 1st round pick with a magnifying glass to get him out the door.

I doubt we can get rid of Bagley this off-season. We need him to come in next season and look good to boost his value.

However, I'm afraid Metu will blow him off the floor next year the way RH did last year.
Yea if only Bagley can stay healthy and not get injured again… and again…and again

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
With the trade kicker decreasing over time that makes it a little less likely to be an interference should things head south. Maybe he didn't trust the Kings to not pull a Dedmon on him? haha.