#4 + Holmes + #37 for Kuminga, Moody, and #28

Kings get two first contract wing players, who are buried on GSW's bench. With one less rookie contract year for each player. Kuminga is the lotto ticket. Moody is a bench 3 and D, who will likely end up being in the league for 7 to 10 years. Plus #28 (Peyton Watson?) in a draft where the difference from #5 to the second round isn't all that much.

The dubs get #4 and would probably draft Keegan Murray or Dyson Daniels. High floor, plug and play players, who would be perfect for their team. Plus an early second round pick, which fits into their budget a bit better.

Holmes replaces Looney, who will likely get paid in FA.

Obviously, Kings would only do this if they don't like who's there at #4.

At first I was like no way but it's definitely one to think about. I think if one of the top 3 doesn't fall, I'd consider it. I don't know if the Warriors would do it because they don't really have a need for Ivey and could probably get a player they want a little later in the lottery without costing them as much in the trade.

Kuminga, Moody and possibly Jalen Williams or Dalen Terry sounds enticing. Kuminga could potentially wind up being better than Ivey/Murray on down.

Yeah I think i'd pull the trigger. I love Moody as a wing prospect still and I think Kuminga has found a spot as a modern 4 and could be an absolute monster defensive player in a few years.

This would be pretty similar to saying would we trade 4 to draft AJ Griffin and Tari Eason with another 1st thrown in? Except the prospects we get had a year of "schooling" with one of the best organizations (under Mike Brown no less) on how to be a professional.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Hell naw. They chose those picks and set them right on the bench to collect dust. They don't get to turn them over for an instantaneous value upgrade while on course to win a ring. No.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
At first I was like no way but it's definitely one to think about. I think if one of the top 3 doesn't fall, I'd consider it. I don't know if the Warriors would do it because they don't really have a need for Ivey and could probably get a player they want a little later in the lottery without costing them as much in the trade.

Kuminga, Moody and possibly Jalen Williams or Dalen Terry sounds enticing. Kuminga could potentially wind up being better than Ivey/Murray on down.
IF Jalen Williams were there. I'm starting to get sold on Williams as the real potential Kawhi in this draft. At least offensively. Eason ain't it. Eason is a good player but more like a developed Nigel Hayes. Which today is a good pick overall, but Williams won't be at 28 though most likely.

The trade was derived from here: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2201173

GSW fans want to offer Poole plus assets for #4. Poole is going to get paid as an RFA, is benefiting from recency bias, and is a one way player. Easy no from me, if the core returning asset is Poole.

I personally wouldn't do the trade if the top 3 + Daniels was available at #4. Assuming the top 3 go as planned and Daniels is there at 4, I think it's 50/50 odds that Daniels is the pick. Plug and play plus real, high upside given his work ethic and size (still growing too).

The trade was derived from here: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2201173

GSW fans want to offer Poole plus assets for #4. Poole is going to get paid as an RFA, is benefiting from recency bias, and is a one way player. Easy no from me, if the core returning asset is Poole.

I personally wouldn't do the trade if the top 3 + Daniels was available at #4. Assuming the top 3 go as planned and Daniels is there at 4, I think it's 50/50 odds that Daniels is the pick. Plug and play plus real, high upside given his work ethic and size (still growing too).
Daniels is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft. I see just about everything he does translates into high level impact in the NBA. He needs to find a shot to become a star, but I see very few paths of him busting and not being a long-term starter.

I love Poole and if the choice were Poole+Assets or Ivey, I'd take Poole pretty easily. You're basically hoping Ivey has a developmental track like Poole has and we already know he's good.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Daniels is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft. I see just about everything he does translates into high level impact in the NBA. He needs to find a shot to become a star, but I see very few paths of him busting and not being a long-term starter.

I love Poole and if the choice were Poole+Assets or Ivey, I'd take Poole pretty easily. You're basically hoping Ivey has a developmental track like Poole has and we already know he's good.
how is Daniels in terms of defense?

how is Daniels in terms of defense?
He's one of the better defensive prospects in the draft imo. Tremendous size/wingspan for a guard (6'8/6'11 wingspan) defensive IQ, can defend 1-3, very physical. He's a defensive playmaker. Most of the time, he took the other teams best perimeter player.

Listening to interviews, he's a very self-aware player which I like too. Understands where his strengths/weaknesses are and he's the kind of player who is going to find a way to be valuable, no matter what his role is.

I think his ideal role is going to be as a point-forward playmaker/secondary ball-handler off a lead guard that adds 1-3 defensive versatility (potentially defend 4's too if he adds 10-20 pounds). He's not Giddey/Melo level aussie passer, but he's got tremendous feel/vision and will be one of the better non-PG passers pretty quickly.

When I watched Danials in the G-league I thought he looked like a really good, high end role player. Now, he has upside but like with Green last year, I saw Beauchamp as the NBA stud if there was one on that team. Daniels is still quite young though.

When I watched Danials in the G-league I thought he looked like a really good, high end role player. Now, he has upside but like with Green last year, I saw Beauchamp as the NBA stud if there was one on that team. Daniels is still quite young though.
I think what's starting to shine with Daniels is his ultimate versatility. He's the swiss army knife that every team is craving right now who can excel in any lineup iteration. There's real on-ball playmaking/finishing skills, can run the PnR, elite floater, there's off-ball cutting, there's 1-3 defensive versatility and he very likely can check 4's as he continues to fill out. Just a very smart player on both ends, which is where I think some of the Hali comparisons have been coming from (and because he's a lanky tall guard.)

His shooting is probably the biggest swing skill of anybody in the entire draft. It started getting more consistent at the end of the year (14-33 for 42% in his last 10 games).

Yeah, there’s a lot to like about Daniels, and now I see he’s listed at 6’8”.
I won’t pretend I know that much about him or how his game will translate in the nba. Still he’s from Australia, which is where I live so always increased interest, his dad was a legend in Bendigo, and he gives a great interview.
Maybe he’ll go 4, don’t think so, but sure hope Kings are taking a serious look. He could be that perfect trade down piece.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He's one of the better defensive prospects in the draft imo. Tremendous size/wingspan for a guard (6'8/6'11 wingspan) defensive IQ, can defend 1-3, very physical. He's a defensive playmaker. Most of the time, he took the other teams best perimeter player.

Listening to interviews, he's a very self-aware player which I like too. Understands where his strengths/weaknesses are and he's the kind of player who is going to find a way to be valuable, no matter what his role is.

I think his ideal role is going to be as a point-forward playmaker/secondary ball-handler off a lead guard that adds 1-3 defensive versatility (potentially defend 4's too if he adds 10-20 pounds). He's not Giddey/Melo level aussie passer, but he's got tremendous feel/vision and will be one of the better non-PG passers pretty quickly.
well if he is that good with loads of potential, then is it possible he goes top 3?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He is probably the best perimeter defender in the draft. He can defend 1s, 2s, and 3s right now. Will likely be able to defend 4s when he gets stronger.
I'm all in on drafting defensive minded players, even if it's in the lottery. Let the offense come along as it may but Monte wants to change the culture and it starts on that side of the ball if any progress is to be made.

well if he is that good with loads of potential, then is it possible he goes top 3?
I don't think so. Maybe if he had a shot, he'd get top 3 buzz, but his lack of outside shooting keeps him in that tier 2. My guess is with how he's shot up in reports, he pretty likely goes top 9.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think so. Maybe if he had a shot, he'd get top 3 buzz, but his lack of outside shooting keeps him in that tier 2. My guess is with how he's shot up in reports, he pretty likely goes top 9.
He’s also not the best athlete out there. He’s done okay against NBA level athleticism in the G-League but I do think the NBA draft hype machine is starting to go a little overboard with a guy who I think could ultimately wind up being a Iguodola-lite in the league.

absolutely would have been fine with taking him at 7 if that’s what Monte wanted to do but I absolutely wouldn’t take him in the top 5 over Mathurin/Keegan/Benn

He’s also not the best athlete out there. He’s done okay against NBA level athleticism in the G-League but I do think the NBA draft hype machine is starting to go a little overboard with a guy who I think could ultimately wind up being a Iguodola-lite in the league.

absolutely would have been fine with taking him at 7 if that’s what Monte wanted to do but I absolutely wouldn’t take him in the top 5 over Mathurin/Keegan/Benn
Oh Iggy is a great comp. I see a lot of similarities there. Extreme defensive versatility, great secondary playmaker, can run PG and the PnR, not a spacer, excellent bball IQ. My other thought was tall/lanky Marcus Smart who has similar characteristics and defensive versatility.

Oh Iggy is a great comp. I see a lot of similarities there. Extreme defensive versatility, great secondary playmaker, can run PG and the PnR, not a spacer, excellent bball IQ. My other thought was tall/lanky Marcus Smart who has similar characteristics and defensive versatility.
A taller/lanky Marcus Smart = A wing version of Draymond Green.

Yeah if he can't shoot then he will be a terrible fit next to Fox and Sabonis.