Hill To Cavaliers per Woj

Felt A lot better about this after I saw this too:

[B]Bobby Marks[/B]‏Verified account @[B]BobbyMarks42[/B] 2h2 hours ago
More
Sacramento now joins a small group of teams with cap space for the summer of 2018. Shedding the George Hill contract now has Sacramento with $24M in room that could increase to $40M if Iman Shumpert and Garrett Temple opt-out of their contract.... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0753324876772678680-4 …

That 24 Mil can put a ton of pressure on some really good RFA and we basically split the Hill contract into far more moveable expirings next year with Shump/Kosta/Temple all in the 8-11 mil range rather than the 19 we owed Hill.

Jusuf Nurkic
Julius Randle
Rodney Hood
Jabari Parker

I think these 4 should 100% be on our radar. None of these teams really want to break the bank for any of these guys and all could come in and be impact players for us.
If Parker is recovered, I’d go after him hard

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We're going to be a pawn to bid up contracts that other teams will match, that's all. Considering Vlade just threw away the #22 pick in the 2016 draft to get rid of the guy he signed with cap space last summer I don't see why I should be excited that we'll now have more cap space again this summer so he can do it again. Same crap, different day.

The Knicks and Suns were the winners this year. They turned 2nd round picks into first round talent. Vlade better hope he gets a top 5 pick this year and they impress right away or we can all just prepare to give Philly a top 5 pick next year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings may join "a small group of teams with cap space for the summer of 2018," but does anybody really have reason to believe that teams aren't going to make deals in order to have cap space in 2018? I'd be shocked if they didn't. I'm very skeptical the Kings are going to have any real advantage in the FA market this summer.

All in all, the Kings lose a player that didn't want to be here and they get some potential for potentially getting some player in the future that actually could contribute something to the roster for longer than 1/2 of a season. But hey, Cleveland made some great deals. Hurray!:rolleyes:

We're going to be a pawn to bid up contracts that other teams will match, that's all. Considering Vlade just threw away the #22 pick in the 2016 draft to get rid of the guy he signed with cap space last summer I don't see why I should be excited that we'll now have more cap space again this summer so he can do it again. Same crap, different day.

The Knicks and Suns were the winners this year. They turned 2nd round picks into first round talent. Vlade better hope he gets a top 5 pick this year and they impress right away or we can all just prepare to give Philly a top 5 pick next year.
I think this is the most likely scenario.

Vlade will sign a good talent (Player X) with the cap space this summer. Because no one else will pay Player X as much as the Kings.

So, Player X will get paid $$$$!!! Yah!

Player X will under perform and then sulk to the media, that this is not what he signed up for. Blah, Blah, Blah.... Boo!

Then, Vlade will unload this Player X at the next trade deadline and dump another young player to create a roster space to do the dump, without getting anything of value back!

Repeat, rinse, recycle.

Last edited:
So, assuming that there aren't any surprises on the horizon, here are the money totals for the trade deadline for the Kings:

2017-2018: Including the reported $3.2M included to us and pro-rating all contracts, we save $2.57M (perhaps more if the rumored Johnson buyout is not for full-dollar value of the contract)
2018-2019: Assuming Shumpert does not opt out, we save $9.5M. If somehow Shumpert does opt out we save $20.6M.
2019-2020: Assuming we would otherwise have kept Malachi, but not Hill, we save $3.58M.

Total savings: $15.65M (Could be $26.75M if Shumpert opts out).

And we got a 2020 second round draft pick.

And we cleared up some playing time for the kids in the backcourt.
It’s one thing if this were a 2 or 3 year free agency deal. But we just signed Hill and dumped him at the cost of Malachi. These were all Vlade moves just reinforcing he is over his head.

It also allows them to take on a contract and draft pick for teams wanting to sign players.

One correction, that pick goes to Boston that is rejoicing Vlade is so incompetent.

All in all, the Kings lose a player that didn't want to be here and they get some potential for potentially getting some player in the future that actually could contribute something to the roster for longer than 1/2 of a season. But hey, Cleveland made some great deals. Hurray!:rolleyes:
Vlade, how about not making these stupid deals in the first place. There was really no reason to sign Hill to a $20 million contract in the first place when you just drafted D'Arron Fox #5 to be your point guard!

I wish this FO would do nothing, instead of doing something most of the time!

It's a sad day, when the most exciting thing that happened today was that we didn't just waive or trade away Skal for peanuts (knock on wood) to create a roster spot! Yah!

I think this is the most likely scenario.

Vlade will sign a good talent (Player X) with the cap space this summer. Because no one else will pay Player X as much as the Kings.

So, Player X will get paid $$$$!!! Yah!

Player X will under perform and then sulk to the media, that this is not what he signed up for. Blah, Blah, Blah.... Boo!

Then, Vlade will unload this Player X at the next trade deadline and dump another young player to create a roster space to do the dump, without getting anything of value back!

Repeat, rinse, recycle.
Yep they will overpay and sign someone no one wants to dump Pappa G next year

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bad fits are bad contracts. If they go out and blow $$$ on a PG or another position or player that provides no real on court need then it's a waste. What it does do is provide the opportunity to take on another bad contract with assets attached. I highly doubt the Kings are targeting anyone this summer otherwise they never would have blown up their cap with Hill and Zbo's deals.
We shall see!

I hope you're right about us clearing space to gain assets in trades. I would hope that by now Vlade knows better than to go after free agents. Nobody with a choice wants to play here. How much rejection from marquee FAs can one man take?!!

I'm absolutely sickened.

Every single person in the known universe knows no one that matters is coming here. So essentially we've opened up room for George Hill and Zack Randolph 2.0.

Oh but we got a second rounder? Yay, can't wait for Isaiah Cousins 2.0

My back is broken. I'm done here. I can't take this franchise's incompetence any longer. I'm just done. I hope Mali blows up in Toronto.
At least wait to bail until after we drop down to 10 in the draft lotto!

Vlade, how about not making these stupid deals in the first place. There was really no reason to sign Hill to a $20 million contract in the first place when you just drafted D'Arron Fox #5 to be your point guard!

I wish this FO would do nothing, instead of doing something most of the time!

It's a sad day, when the most exciting thing that happened today was that we didn't just waive or trade away Skal for peanuts (knock on wood) to create a roster spot! Yah!
The Hill deal worked out about as horrible as one could expect, but this isn't one I'm overly going to be mad at Vlade for (and I'm as big a Vlade "hater" as there is on the board)

Before this year, Hill was exactly the kind of vet guard you would have thought would fit perfectly with a bunch of young guys in the back-court: Smart, efficient, great shooter, can play both positions, good defender, doesn't poach the ball. For some reason, those skills didn't transfer over. So instead of just eating the mistake, we gain a bunch of cap flexibility for a summer where a lot of teams are going to be quiet, we acquire a far more movable expiring contract for next year and we fully give the back-court over to the young guys without Hill interfering. Malachi shouldn't have been on the chopping block to make it happen, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy who's shown us nothing in 2 years.

Except that Elf and Mudiay are like.... really, really, really bad so calling them "first round talent" is a bit of a stretch. I actually think the Magic did well getting a high 2nd round pick that's probably going to be more valuable than Elf. And he's headed to RFA this year.

Mudiay was a great pick-up though on the cheap. I think he's a guy who can thrive in a new place and is a great buy-low candidate for them.

It took a tidal wave of incompetence but at least Kings fans are finally turning on the front office.

This organizations asset management is pathetic and I just don't care anymore. If Vivek hires a real GM, the type with experience that won't capitulate to him, then I could get excited about the rebuild. Watching history repeat again and again is too much to ask.

The main task here was to get rid f Hill‘s contract now or at season’s end. I’m sorry to see Hill go, I liked him as a person and as a player but I knew his presence would be short term. Hopes that we would get more fr him are always there until reality sets in. Vlade did the job I hired for so let’s move on and see if we can get some wins. Portland on Friday. Go Kings!

So, assuming that there aren't any surprises on the horizon, here are the money totals for the trade deadline for the Kings:

2017-2018: Including the reported $3.2M included to us and pro-rating all contracts, we save $2.57M (perhaps more if the rumored Johnson buyout is not for full-dollar value of the contract)
2018-2019: Assuming Shumpert does not opt out, we save $9.5M. If somehow Shumpert does opt out we save $20.6M.
2019-2020: Assuming we would otherwise have kept Malachi, but not Hill, we save $3.58M.

Total savings: $15.65M (Could be $26.75M if Shumpert opts out).

And we got a 2020 second round draft pick.

And we cleared up some playing time for the kids in the backcourt.
I think this pretty much sums it up and to why the deal was done. Its about creating cap flexibility. We now have three "semi-expiring" deals and an expiring deal in Carter.

So Carter's $8million come off the book, Temple and Kosta are likely to opt out so that's another ~$17M so you have coming off the books plus some $8m saving on Hill's contract compared to Shumpert. Essentially, the Kings will have a MAX room in FA this summer. While Kings are unlikely to get a superstar with their money, they can get themselves a pretty darn good player.

Keeping Hills for longer would have made him a dead asset for us. He was not going to get any more playing time or getting featured more so by summer, you have a player due $20m and coming off a career worst year.

We got out of that deal on time. It would have been more preferable to dump the contract for expirings but that was always going to be a pretty difficult proposition.

I do find it somewhat funny that CLE helped LAL clear the cap space for LeBron and PG13 in te summer :D

I think this pretty much sums it up and to why the deal was done. Its about creating cap flexibility. We now have three "semi-expiring" deals and an expiring deal in Carter.

So Carter's $8million come off the book, Temple and Kosta are likely to opt out so that's another ~$17M so you have coming off the books plus some $8m saving on Hill's contract compared to Shumpert. Essentially, the Kings will have a MAX room in FA this summer. While Kings are unlikely to get a superstar with their money, they can get themselves a pretty darn good player.

Keeping Hills for longer would have made him a dead asset for us. He was not going to get any more playing time or getting featured more so by summer, you have a player due $20m and coming off a career worst year.

We got out of that deal on time. It would have been more preferable to dump the contract for expirings but that was always going to be a pretty difficult proposition.

I do find it somewhat funny that CLE helped LAL clear the cap space for LeBron and PG13 in te summer :D
Cap space doesn't really do anything for us though. We've tried a million times and no one worth **** ever comes here. What's that cap flexibility going to do for us this summer? Allow us to overpay washed up vets like we always do that Joerger can fall in love with?

All this stuff is meh for me but for those fuming over Vlade:

1) Draft 2016: For pick #8 we got Papa, Skal and Bogdan. From what I see, Vlade did well even with Papa bust.

2) Kings needed 15 mil to get to the cap min this summer. They payed Hill 20 mil. Somebody had to get that money. Did not work out with Hill, but Kings are going back next summer with even more cap space than the last summer. Positive draw at worst.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Except that Elf and Mudiay are like.... really, really, really bad so calling them "first round talent" is a bit of a stretch. I actually think the Magic did well getting a high 2nd round pick that's probably going to be more valuable than Elf. And he's headed to RFA this year.

Mudiay was a great pick-up though on the cheap. I think he's a guy who can thrive in a new place and is a great buy-low candidate for them.
Elfrid Payton is an above average player this year by almost any measurement and he's 23. Not to mention, Phoenix doesn't have a PG (Ulis is a backup at best -- more like a third stringer) so almost anything would have been an upgrade. Emmanuel Mudiay has been bad but you can afford to take chances on bad 21 year olds when the cost is minimal. He's cut his turnovers every year and raised his 3pt % to the point where he's actually playable now and he could be a good compliment to Frank Ntilikina -- who's a defensive wiz but a work in progress almost everywhere else.

We already have a PG so neither guy was going to be in play for us, I'm just lamenting that other teams made the type of buy-low trades that we should be looking for while we... I don't even know how to describe what we did. We threw a bunch of money away so that we could throw more money away. Signing George Hill actually made sense at the time. We couldn't just assume Fox was ready from day one and as it turns out he wasn't. Burning a young player we just acquired in order to dump him mid-season in the first year of the deal so that we might be able to spend a little more in this off-season forces me to retroactively rescind any credit I gave Vlade for that signing and also makes it rather obvious that our front office has no long-term plan whatsoever.

We've now had to buy out half of the veterans Vlade has invested in (assuming this trade results in Joe Johnson and Bruno Caboclo buyouts as reported). We're losing assets at a time when we should be piling up assets. Sure we have a little bit of cap space to work with but free agents worth signing don't sign with last place teams unless they get overpaid and overpaying just forces you into even tougher decisions down the road (like throwing away picks to create cap space...). There's more than enough evidence out there at this point. Vlade needs to go. No offense to him, I'm sure he's a great guy, but he can't GM his way out of a paper bag. The proof is in the results.

gunks

Hall of Famer
All this stuff is meh for me but for those fuming over Vlade:

1) Draft 2016: For pick #8 we got Papa, Skal and Bogdan. From what I see, Vlade did well even with Papa bust.

2) Kings needed 15 mil to get to the cap min this summer. They payed Hill 20 mil. Somebody had to get that money. Did not work out with Hill, but Kings are going back next summer with even more cap space than the last summer. Positive draw at worst.
Good post. I'm irk'd but not quite reaching for my pitchfork or looking for the nearest window to hop out of.

Vlade washed his hands of his most recent misstep. I'd imagine that for a lot of posters, this move is just salt in the gaping abscesses of the Philly trade and the Cousins trade. He's still a green GM though, and that's the last thing this franchise needs during a rebuild. At this point we're pretty much a farm team. Or at least we would be if we were better at drafting.

Vivek needs to get him more FO help, and maybe pay someone GM bucks and give them the GM title if he wants to keep Vlade around as a fan pleasing figurehead. Every time we get a cat like that in the FO they get poached, otherwise. Vlade is still better than PDA though, I'll give him that dubious honor!

This trade deadline is a combination of Maloofian money saving and Vlade's incompetence. We gave away Hill for cash and the ghost of Iman Shumpert (reminds me of a 2008-12 Maloof special - are we in financial trouble again or is Matina forcing moves?). We drafted a guy with the 13 who was a mid-2nd round pick or undrafted - did Vlade owe someone a favor back home? I wonder what really happened to cause that pick. Can't fault a miss at 22, but how bout a guy who can't shoot over 40% FG in college? Yikes. And nothing in return, but wasted hope.

Just when I think this bad team has hardened me with all of it's bad moves, this irritates me *just a little bit.* Pardon my rant, but this stuff year after year, cycles of glimmer of hope to doom and gloom to glimmer of hope that never pans out... when does it end?

To be fair, almost everybody picking after #7 blew the 2016 draft. The Spurs are probably OK with it, and probably the Sixers, and other than that...
Doesn't it concern you that Vlade missed so badly though? Regardless of the draft if you look at a prospect like Papa, who isn't athletically capable of guarding the perimeter and doesn't have any of the skills needed to be a post player and think that's my guy then you're in trouble. As a elevator of talent you deserve to be questioned.

Weak draft and all there was talent available. Instead you got a pick that never even had a moment in summer league. This isn't Thomas Robinson, this was a limb that Vlade climbed out on. One that shows he doesn't really know what he's looking at.