Hill To Cavaliers per Woj

Pretty sure you can. One of the teams did it this year but for the life of me I cannot remember which team it was.

Basically, the way I understand it, if the 45 day thing expires for the player, then you either have to sign him for the rest of the year or release him. I think once smoking Joe is bought out, Sampson will be given a contract for the rest of the season at least.
I could be wrong but I believe the Indiana Pacers did that with Alex Poythress from Kentucky.

West is going to be tough for sure, but East is throwing challenges too. Maybe Cavs turn it around now, but they don't have assets to upgrade their roster.

If Hayward comes back healthy next year, Celts could be much improved from even their current version. No guarantees that Cavs win East either.

As for Lakers, I hope they don't get either, but if they do, they might get some vet FAs willing to play there on the cheap in the pursuit of a ring. One reason I feel that Lakers (unfortunately) were big winners today.

Of course, if they don't land marquee guys, and are forced to splurge on Mozgov level players to meet the salary floor, the balance in the universe will be restored :)
The Celtics have our 2019 pick, unless it’s 1 overall, and will add another good player to an already strong young roster thanks to the Nets.

Another angle....Kings looking to build some good will amoungst the leagues various powerful agents. The Hill trade cost us nothing and in essence builds some good will for future use which id argue that the o trunsic value of that can be pretty high.

The Lakers have been the hottest team in the league and acquired IT. Either this could propel them to .500 basketball or completely blow up in their faces. The Lakers' big goal has always been to make noise this offseason anyways so I don't see them lapping us in the loss column.

The Mavs acquired McBuckets and unloaded Devin Harris (their big goal has always been the offseason too). McBuckets isn't amazing by any means but he's better than most of the Mavericks roster by virtue of not being old or a D-Leaguer. This move could actually help put a little separation between the Mavs and us in the race to the bottom of the western conference. (Thanks Mr. Cuban!)

The Bulls are young and competitive and have been playing fairly good basketball of late (bad/good loss to us aside). There's not much they could do to really up the tankage seeing as most of their roster is young and inexperienced as is.

Brooklyn is a team with nothing to lose by winning and playing hard so I could see them climbing the standings as the teams around them start letting loose the hounds of tank post-ASG.

The Knicks are pretty bad now that Zinger is down but we've got a bit of a headstart on them in the race.

Memphis inexplicably held on to Reke and Gasol and all of their good vets and, bad stretch of basketball that got their coach fired aside, aren't as bad at basketball as some of the other teams out there.

Phoenix is close to us in the standings but seem to have gotten closer to plugging the hole in their roster at point guard with Elfrid Payton, who isn't very good but still young and has fully functioning legs (my thoughts to Isaiah Canaan). Of course, when it comes to tanking, the Suns are seasoned pros, so who knows?

Our big competition in the 2018 Winter Tanklympics is honestly going to remain the Orlando Magic, who dumped Elfrid Payton for as close to nothing as you could get for an NBA player, and the Atlanta Hawks, who are very bad but decided to trade for Sheldon Mac, which could make them a little better, and they seem to be eager to get rid of Marco Belinelli, which, as we know, is not very conducive to losing games.
The Mavs are still dedicated to tanking. Dougie isn't a game changer for them at all.

Bulls are young and competitive, but they still stink. After having a 6-7 win streak, they've been 2-8 for their last 10. Yeah there's been injuries, but I could easily see them start tanking when the season closes up.

Memphis has actually been resting Tyreke... they've gone 0-7 without him. Even with Tyreke and Gasol in the lineup, they're still only 1.5 games out of the #1 slot. They're tanking hard because they have to acknowledge that their cap situation is completely screwed up. Made a horrible mistake to sign Conley to a supermax. Average PG at best. Parsons is also on the books...

Phoenix has been giving all of their PT to the young players now. In the game without Booker, Jackson has 33mins, Warren-29, Bender-32, Chriss-29, House Jr- 15, Gray-31, Peters-12, etc. Imagine this.. Dudley only got 6mins while Troy Daniels got 10. LOL. It's almost like they're playing their young guys over the vets...

Lots of these teams are going to start tanking when the race is nearing the end. In fact, there's a crap ton of teams. Kings are #3 in the lotto standings. If we win the game today, we'd be in a 3-way tie for 4/5/6. I just don't want to see vets play anymore the rest of the season. I don't care if it's horrible basketball. We have young guys waiting to get PT. Give them their PT.

This was my point earlier in the thread.

This franchise just continues to make moves that make little to no sense. The Cavs made trades that made them better. The Lakers did the same. Hell, they managed to clear cap space AND land a 1st round pick. But the Kings? They landed an inconsequential 2nd round pick 2 seasons from now and had to trade a coveted vet and cut their 2016 1st round lottery pick for that privilege. Way to go.

I also gotta say that where there’s smoke, there was fire. All these George Hill trade rumors we read the past few weeks were accurate. They may have tweaked the eventual deal some, but the end result looks no better than what was rumored early on. Those deals made no sense and neither does this one.

I still don’t see the motivation to wanna do make these trades. A good GM wouldn’t have considered them, let alone made them.
Yet you still have fans who refuse to see Vlade in a bad light. "Who cares if we wasted the #13 and #22 picks in the 2016 draft. We still got Skal and Bogdan."

LOL that's like saying who cares that we blew the 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts when we got Cousins.

Yet you still have fans who refuse to see Vlade in a bad light. "Who cares if we wasted the #13 and #22 picks in the 2016 draft. We still got Skal and Bogdan."

LOL that's like saying who cares that we blew the 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts when we got Cousins.
These are not even remotely the same and in fact might lend a little bit of rationale to why Vlade did what he did to try to win with Cousins and what he has done in the aftermath.

Also if there was nobody worth taking that would have helped the Kings the past two seasons with those picks, which is what people have argued, that is much different than when you can point to the many, many all-stars that we passed up post-Cousins to draft guys for non-basketball reasons.

Another angle....Kings looking to build some good will amoungst the leagues various powerful agents. The Hill trade cost us nothing and in essence builds some good will for future use which id argue that the o trunsic value of that can be pretty high.
Before anyone comes with factious replies to this idea of good will, I offer the example of Jimmy Garoppolo for a second round pick... a phone call form Belichik to Shanahan... because he respected him. 100% for sure the Browns would have given a lot more back to NE than that. Good will / respect is legit

I'm skeptical of this trade. George was extremely disappointing, especially considering his salary and "top free agent" status, but I'm not sure I can believe we can do better with the cap space this summer and that seems like all this trade was about. We don't have a shot at the top FA targets like LeBron and Paul George and there aren't a lot of desirable guys after them. I guess we'll have to see what gets done with the cap space to really judge this trade, but I'm not really encouraged at this point.

Maybe Hill actually requested a trade so the FO felt they had to trade him, which could make the return a little more understandable. Either way, the trade deadline movement doesn't inspire confidence from my perspective.

Before anyone comes with factious replies to this idea of good will, I offer the example of Jimmy Garoppolo for a second round pick... a phone call form Belichik to Shanahan... because he respected him. 100% for sure the Browns would have given a lot more back to NE than that. Good will / respect is legit
As a Pats fan I question how much of that is true but I do think it is. Very happy for Jimmy G. Also very happy not to be anywhere near that contract. If he gets paid in full those 5 years cost more than Tom Brady's first 14. Tom Brady generously keeping his contract down is what kept the Pats competitive over the years.

But yes - I think there is a lot of value in moving Hill simply because we are going to ask someone next year to sign for some chunk of change and propel us into contention, and if we fail, we can't tank, but I'm sure we'll want to make a move for picks or something to try again in 2019.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm honestly out as a Kings fan if we don't get a top 5 pick. There's no reason why this team should be winning games late in the season on the backs of vets who have no future as a King.
Just don't cry foul if somebody reminds you of this after the draft. ;)

The Mavs are still dedicated to tanking. Dougie isn't a game changer for them at all.

Bulls are young and competitive, but they still stink. After having a 6-7 win streak, they've been 2-8 for their last 10. Yeah there's been injuries, but I could easily see them start tanking when the season closes up.

Memphis has actually been resting Tyreke... they've gone 0-7 without him. Even with Tyreke and Gasol in the lineup, they're still only 1.5 games out of the #1 slot. They're tanking hard because they have to acknowledge that their cap situation is completely screwed up. Made a horrible mistake to sign Conley to a supermax. Average PG at best. Parsons is also on the books...

Phoenix has been giving all of their PT to the young players now. In the game without Booker, Jackson has 33mins, Warren-29, Bender-32, Chriss-29, House Jr- 15, Gray-31, Peters-12, etc. Imagine this.. Dudley only got 6mins while Troy Daniels got 10. LOL. It's almost like they're playing their young guys over the vets...

Lots of these teams are going to start tanking when the race is nearing the end. In fact, there's a crap ton of teams. Kings are #3 in the lotto standings. If we win the game today, we'd be in a 3-way tie for 4/5/6. I just don't want to see vets play anymore the rest of the season. I don't care if it's horrible basketball. We have young guys waiting to get PT. Give them their PT.
With all due respect that is an absolutely brain dead comment to make! Conley is a borderline all-star when healthy. He is a better player than Mike Bibby was and he sure as hell was not average at best. Conley is not a supermax player but he far far from being average at best.

Dude! I rip Vlade when he makes a dumb mistake but look at that draft. Top 7 are NBA level players. After that it is a pile of crap with an odd good pick here and there. Some of those players are not even in the league any more or are stuck in the G League holding on to an NBA spot by the fingernails.

At the time they were saying it was one of the worst drafts in recent history.

Let’s look at things in their context. From 13 onwards who have been good picks? Maybe 3 players TOP!

Dude! I rip Vlade when he makes a dumb mistake but look at that draft. Top 7 are NBA level players. After that it is a pile of crap with an odd good pick here and there. Some of those players are not even in the league any more or are stuck in the G League holding on to an NBA spot by the fingernails.

At the time they were saying it was one of the worst drafts in recent history.

Let’s look at things in their context. From 13 onwards who have been good picks? Maybe 3 players TOP!
Kings could have drafted Papa a lot later than 13. He wasn't on any other teams radar. That was well known at the time. That is the core of the issue when it comes down to it.

I don't see how anyone could be upset at any of the moves. To debate picks when we got Bogdan in that draft is pretty silly. Everyone is a great GM when you look back and state who you would pick, but lets face it, some years it is throwing darts. 75% of the GMs should get fired each year if you are going to nit pick every draft. Especially the draft of 2016 and the year Ben McLemore was picked. I blame Pete D for the situation the Kings are in more than Vlade.

Last edited:
Kings could have drafted Papa a lot later than 13. He wasn't on any other teams radar. That was well known at the time. That is the core of the issue when it comes down to it.
Well he was on Detroits radar but lets say he wasn’t. If Papagiannis was drafted at 28 would the end result be any different?! Of course not. He traded back to multiply his chances in what was widely considered worst draft in quite a while. He swung for the fences and missed badly. Look at the picks after pick 13 in that draft. 2-3 solid players at BEST were picked after 13. Some are not even in the league.

This board wanted Baldwin and he was out of the league after his rookie season.

Except that isn't true. There were rumors the day of the draft about him going in the first round with more than one team interested. David Locke even said earlier this year on " Locked on Kings" that he knew for a fact that he would have been taken in the next few picks if the Kings didn't take him at 13. Now that doesn't make him a good pick, but there was reason to take him at 13 if you felt he could be something. Most of us would have picked Baldwin and he is already out of the league. Just because he was ranked higher by amateur scouts in their mock drafts doesn't make him a better pick. It only makes it easier for fans to stomach when they fail.

And then whoever else he picked that didn't pan out he'd be blamed for.
That's not necessarily true. That pick didn't make sense at the time. I don't blame a GM for picking a guy when the guy doesn't live up to his potential. But I do have problems when a GM picks a guy way too early and it doesn't pan out.

Well he was on Detroits radar but lets say he wasn’t. If Papagiannis was drafted at 28 would the end result be any different?! Of course not. He traded back to multiply his chances in what was widely considered worst draft in quite a while. He swung for the fences and missed badly. Look at the picks after pick 13 in that draft. 2-3 solid players at BEST were picked after 13. Some are not even in the league.

This board wanted Baldwin and he was out of the league after his rookie season.
The result would have been the same, but the uproar would be less.

The result would have been the same, but the uproar would be less.
Really?! Look at the comments on this board about giving up on two first round picks. Malachi was pick 22 and people are in uproar over it. If Skal works out at 28 will that change the perception?! Of course not because people see 1st round pick failures and go la la! People need to understand that value of a pick varies from draft to draft. Pick 13 in 2016 draft has no where near the value that pick 13 had in 2017 draft. The value of the pick is determined by the quality of prospects in the pool, not the number attached to the pick.

I don't really have too much of a problem with the 2016 draft. Most of us thought Papa was a bad pick at the time but like some of you have already stated, most of the board wanted Baldwin so it's not like you can jump on Vlade for making a bad pick. And don't even bring up a guy like Brogdan's name because there's a reason why he dropped to the 2nd round. You can't just randomly look through the draft and choose guys that were picked way later and act like the GM screwed up. If you want to play the "what if" game you can look at the guys picked in the same vicinity of the pick but don't act like a guy picked 20 spots later was a clear cut miss.

Here's what's going to happen to the Kings in free agency. The main free agents will sign with big markets. Then some big name free agent will be linked to us and in the end we will find out that he used the Kings as leverage for a bigger deal elsewhere. At that point, one of two things will happen. The Kings will grossly overpay for a guy like Aaron Gordon who will more than likely never live up to the massive contract given to him and it'll strap the team and cost them dearly in the future......or.....the Kings will wind up with the Belinellis, Hollins' and Sessions' of the world because this is Sacramento and we can count the amount of good free agent signings on one hand.

In addition to building some good will with agents/teams, the Kings can use Hill as an example to future free agents that the Kings will take care of them and do right by them should things not pan out as planned.
OR, we could get the reputation that if you want to get paid, sign with the Kings in the summer for big money, then whine your way into a trade at the trade deadline, to get to a contender.

It is a dual edged sword.

With all due respect that is an absolutely brain dead comment to make! Conley is a borderline all-star when healthy. He is a better player than Mike Bibby was and he sure as hell was not average at best. Conley is not a supermax player but he far far from being average at best.
Mike Conley isn't worth arguing over. Just look at his career numbers. He didn't actually breakout until he got PAID. Year before that? 15pts 6asts. Our own Darren Collison averaged that one year. He's always been a 3rd option at best. Yes, I know he offers a lot on defense, but he's still just an average PG. He's one of the most overrated "underrated" players in the NBA.
http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3195/mike-conley

bajaden

Hall of Famer

So I'm supposed to see Vlade in a bad light because you say so. Perhaps your dislike of Vlade is blinding you to the point, where you only see things through a negative light. Perhaps the main reason Vlade made that trade that landed us Bog's, Skal, and Papa, is that he had his eye on Bogdanovic from the beginning, and he was the key to the trade. Point is, I can't see inside the recesses of Vlade's mind, and neither can you. I only care about results, and in the final analysis, if the trade had been Chriss straight up for Bogdanovic, I'd have done that trade and felt like we ended up the winner. If Skal pan's out long term, then that's icing on the cake.

If we had stayed at eight, and not drafted Chriss, who I didn't like for a lot of reasons I won't bother to go into now, there were only a couple players taken after Chriss that are worth talking about. In fact, some of the best players in that draft were drafted in the 2nd round. One of my personal favorites was Isaiah Whitehead, who I saw go head to head with Kris Dunn three times, and out play him twice. Of course the jury is still out on Isaiah, but he's turned out better than a lot of the players in the 1st rd. Truth is, it was a terrible draft, and we came out of it with Bogdanovic. That's enough for me.

Last time I checked, Vlade had nothing to do with the 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014 drafts. Not sure what that has to do with anything other than to create an abstract argument that's meaningless. Now if you asked me if I thought drafting Papagiannis was a good idea, I'd say no. But that's looking in the rear view mirror. At the time I can only believe that Vlade, or someone in the scouting dept thought there was something there long term. So I can agree that it was a mistake, but that doesn't make Vlade the Hitler of all GM's.