Hill To Cavaliers per Woj

So I'm supposed to see Vlade in a bad light because you say so. Perhaps your dislike of Vlade is blinding you to the point, where you only see things through a negative light. Perhaps the main reason Vlade made that trade that landed us Bog's, Skal, and Papa, is that he had his eye on Bogdanovic from the beginning, and he was the key to the trade. Point is, I can't see inside the recesses of Vlade's mind, and neither can you. I only care about results, and in the final analysis, if the trade had been Chriss straight up for Bogdanovic, I'd have done that trade and felt like we ended up the winner. If Skal pan's out long term, then that's icing on the cake.

If we had stayed at eight, and not drafted Chriss, who I didn't like for a lot of reasons I won't bother to go into now, there were only a couple players taken after Chriss that are worth talking about. In fact, some of the best players in that draft were drafted in the 2nd round. One of my personal favorites was Isaiah Whitehead, who I saw go head to head with Kris Dunn three times, and out play him twice. Of course the jury is still out on Isaiah, but he's turned out better than a lot of the players in the 1st rd. Truth is, it was a terrible draft, and we came out of it with Bogdanovic. That's enough for me.

Last time I checked, Vlade had nothing to do with the 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014 drafts. Not sure what that has to do with anything other than to create an abstract argument that's meaningless. Now if you asked me if I thought drafting Papagiannis was a good idea, I'd say no. But that's looking in the rear view mirror. At the time I can only believe that Vlade, or someone in the scouting dept thought there was something there long term. So I can agree that it was a mistake, but that doesn't make Vlade the Hitler of all GM's.

Drafting Papagiannis was a huge mistake and there is no way around that. If you make that kind of a reach and draft a slow center graded as a late1st/early2nd talent(when the league has almost compleatly moved away from them), you better be sure that you hit with the pick. There are also several other factors that suggests Vlade hasnt done great job so far.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Really?! Look at the comments on this board about giving up on two first round picks. Malachi was pick 22 and people are in uproar over it. If Skal works out at 28 will that change the perception?! Of course not because people see 1st round pick failures and go la la! People need to understand that value of a pick varies from draft to draft. Pick 13 in 2016 draft has no where near the value that pick 13 had in 2017 draft. The value of the pick is determined by the quality of prospects in the pool, not the number attached to the pick.
Your spot on! Chriss, who was taken at eight, would probably be taken in the twenty's in this coming draft, and would be lucky to be a lottery pick in last years draft. Matter of fact, knowing what we know now, I feel sure he wouldn't be a lottery pick. The 2016 draft was a bad draft with only Simmons and Ingram projected as possible all stars at the time. Brown looks like a keeper and the jury is still out on the rest of the field. At least to the extent how high their ceiling is.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Drafting Papagiannis was a huge mistake and there is no way around that. If you make that kind of a reach and draft a slow center graded as a late1st/early2nd talent(when the league has almost compleatly moved away from them), you better be sure that you hit with the pick. There are also several other factors that suggests Vlade hasnt done great job so far.
I believe that I stated at the end of my post that drafting Papa was a mistake. OK! So then what are the other factors that suggests Vlade hasn't done a good job? In my humble opinion, we won't know how good a job Vlade has done until a couple of years have gone by, because it takes that long for a young team, which we have, to come to full fruition. Vlade has stated along with others in the organization, that he'll have a competing playoff team after the 2019 freeagency period. That's when Fox and Bogs and others will have two years of experience minimum, we'll have added another high draft pick this summer, and we'll hopefully be able to use approximately 60 mil under the cap to obtain an impact player or two.

I realize we live in an instant gratification society, and some don't want to wait that long, but you'll get no sympathy from me. If anyone has a complaint, it's me. I'm 76 years old, and tomorrow is promised to no one. So if your a young man or woman under 50, don't come complaining to me about the wait. Do I want to wait? Hell no! But I'm realistic and I've been around the block a few times and know how these things work. I watched Wilt Chamberlain cut his teeth in this league, and feel blessed to have done so. There are no short cuts, especially for a small market team.

Look at the bright side. We'll probably have David Stockton back on the team again.

Drafting him wasn't a mistake. The mistake was changing the teams direction halfway through the season after drafting him and make other moves the previous season.

I believe that I stated at the end of my post that drafting Papa was a mistake. OK! So then what are the other factors that suggests Vlade hasn't done a good job? In my humble opinion, we won't know how good a job Vlade has done until a couple of years have gone by, because it takes that long for a young team, which we have, to come to full fruition. Vlade has stated along with others in the organization, that he'll have a competing playoff team after the 2019 freeagency period. That's when Fox and Bogs and others will have two years of experience minimum, we'll have added another high draft pick this summer, and we'll hopefully be able to use approximately 60 mil under the cap to obtain an impact player or two.

I realize we live in an instant gratification society, and some don't want to wait that long, but you'll get no sympathy from me. If anyone has a complaint, it's me. I'm 76 years old, and tomorrow is promised to no one. So if your a young man or woman under 50, don't come complaining to me about the wait. Do I want to wait? Hell no! But I'm realistic and I've been around the block a few times and know how these things work. I watched Wilt Chamberlain cut his teeth in this league, and feel blessed to have done so. There are no short cuts, especially for a small market team.

Look at the bright side. We'll probably have David Stockton back on the team again.
Well first of all my personal approach has allways been patienlty rebuilding and that includes waiting so im not the right person to give that speach. I've trashed people here who want these quick fix win now vets and imo that approach is killing this franchise.

Other factors are for example the sixers trade. That trade was horrible then and it will be painfull next year when we dont have our pick. Very painfull.

The other thing is that since we traded Boogie, we should've went full rebuild after that. We should've cashed in on pretty much all of our veterans, we should've filled the roster with our young core and cheap young flyers (like sixers with covington and mcconnel) and use our cap space to gather assets.

Signing Zbo was a very bad mistake. Guy might be good in the locker room ect but he takes 12milllion of cap space next year. Signing Hill was a mistake. To correct that mistake we needed to unload him and have Shumperts 11million cap hit in our books. Thats 23 million worth of dead, useless cap space that should have been utilized better.

Not using our cap space to gather assets is a mistake. We need to lose anyway so we might as well carry some dead cap while doing it. Being in a rebuild mode and not being able to add assets is a mistake for a gm.

Drafting him wasn't a mistake. The mistake was changing the teams direction halfway through the season after drafting him and make other moves the previous season.
If drafting Papagiannis 13th when the consensus on him was late1st/early2nd and ending up cutting him wasnt a mistake, I dont know what is

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well first of all my personal approach has allways been patienlty rebuilding and that includes waiting so im not the right person to give that speach. I've trashed people here who want these quick fix win now vets and imo that approach is killing this franchise.

Other factors are for example the sixers trade. That trade was horrible then and it will be painfull next year when we dont have our pick. Very painfull.

The other thing is that since we traded Boogie, we should've went full rebuild after that. We should've cashed in on pretty much all of our veterans, we should've filled the roster with our young core and cheap young flyers (like sixers with covington and mcconnel) and use our cap space to gather assets.

Signing Zbo was a very bad mistake. Guy might be good in the locker room ect but he takes 12milllion of cap space next year. Signing Hill was a mistake. To correct that mistake we needed to unload him and have Shumperts 11million cap hit in our books. Thats 23 million worth of dead, useless cap space that should have been utilized better.

Not using our cap space to gather assets is a mistake. We need to lose anyway so we might as well carry some dead cap while doing it. Being in a rebuild mode and not being able to add assets is a mistake for a gm.
We'll just have to disagree on the signings. I think in retrospect the Hill signing was a mistake, not because of his salary, which at the time I thought he was worth due to past history, but because his game didn't fit what the Kings were trying to do. However, at the time of signing, most were fine with it. Vlade said that his goal was two years down the road, and the freeagency period following it, when the Kings will have around 60 mil to play with. So, If you look carefully, almost all the signings were scheduled to come off the books at that time. So that was his plan. You can disagree with it, but we'll have to wait and see if it's a successful plan or not.

As for what we did after trading Boogie, I don't understand where your coming form. We have, or had, a team with ten players on it with 2 years or less experience. If that's not a total rebuild I don't know what is. I was asking for a total rebuild 7 years ago, instead of putting on band aid's. Letting go of the glory days is hard for some people and they'd rather live in fantasy land. There comes a time when logic hits you between the eye's and you realize that what your doing is never going to work. It took the Kings longer to realize that than it should have. So were on the same page as to a rebuild, we just seem to disagree on when it started.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If drafting Papagiannis 13th when the consensus on him was late1st/early2nd and ending up cutting him wasnt a mistake, I dont know what is
Well, one could argue that if we admit that drafting him was a mistake, then cutting him can't be a mistake, can it? Or, should the front office deny their mistake, and keep him around despite it. Personally, I think it's a pretty gutsy move cutting him. Not sure many GM's would have done that. At the very least, they would have thrown him in on trade to make his departure look better. Who knows, maybe that was the plan and it fell apart at the last minute.

We'll just have to disagree on the signings. I think in retrospect the Hill signing was a mistake, not because of his salary, which at the time I thought he was worth due to past history, but because his game didn't fit what the Kings were trying to do. However, at the time of signing, most were fine with it. Vlade said that his goal was two years down the road, and the freeagency period following it, when the Kings will have around 60 mil to play with. So, If you look carefully, almost all the signings were scheduled to come off the books at that time. So that was his plan. You can disagree with it, but we'll have to wait and see if it's a successful plan or not.

As for what we did after trading Boogie, I don't understand where your coming form. We have, or had, a team with ten players on it with 2 years or less experience. If that's not a total rebuild I don't know what is. I was asking for a total rebuild 7 years ago, instead of putting on band aid's. Letting go of the glory days is hard for some people and they'd rather live in fantasy land. There comes a time when logic hits you between the eye's and you realize that what your doing is never going to work. It took the Kings longer to realize that than it should have. So were on the same page as to a rebuild, we just seem to disagree on when it started.
If our intention is to be good in two years, signing a win now vet for 2/40mil deal is stupid. That space should be used to gather assets that will be valuable in two years. Win now vet takes away playing time from younger guys, takes away a roster spot and opportunity to find a diamond in the ruff and gets unneccesary wins to weaken the draft pick.

The idea while rebuilding is to actively gather assets that will build more value in the time that the team is ready to compete. Kings havent done that at all. They didnt showcase the maximum amount of young guys to build up their value. They didnt use their cap space to gain draft picks and/or promising young players. Rebuilding is usually pretty hard for a fanbase so when gm fails to do it correctly, its just miserable

Well, one could argue that if we admit that drafting him was a mistake, then cutting him can't be a mistake, can it? Or, should the front office deny their mistake, and keep him around despite it. Personally, I think it's a pretty gutsy move cutting him. Not sure many GM's would have done that. At the very least, they would have thrown him in on trade to make his departure look better. Who knows, maybe that was the plan and it fell apart at the last minute.
Well if your draft pick was so bad that you couldnt trade hin for anything, only thing to do is to cut him.

But if you wet the bed, you shouldnt get a lot of credit for changing the sheets