L

LWP777

When Tyreke and Thornton come back....

PG: Evans
SG: Thornton
C: Cousins
SF: Salmons
PF: Thompson

The bottom line is something has got to give. There simply aren't enough minutes to go around. This lineup makes us much bigger and better defensively. This unit will also rebound much much better as Evans and Marcus are solid rebounding guards. It creates potential matchup problems for our opponents. We're just going to have to settle on Brooks or IT for backup PG minutes (1 of them). JJ and TRob can back up the bigs. Jimmer can get some minutes at SG.

Hayes, Cisco, Outlaw, and Honeycutt should only play garbage time. We need to tighten up the minutes and have a solid 8-9 man rotation. No more of this 11-12 man stuff.

I think this works as long as we keep doing what we are doing and Tyreke becomes a willing passer and playmaker. Make it happen Keith Smart.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Maybe. If Cousins continues to play like C-Webb and Tyreke decides to channel is Inner-Magic, then the lineup has a shot at working. The problem that lineup has always had though is 3 alpha-dogs in a lineup at once does not work. I don't trust Thornton to sacrifice his offense and shots for Reke and Cousins. The big problem is Thornton isn't a guy who can make a living off of 10-11 shots, nor does he contribute much outside of his scoring ability.

You know, I actually dont know about Thornton as a starter. I mean we all know he is capable of big numbers, but he can be a very selfish player. We have been doing so much better lately because of our passing. Thornton wouldnt quite fit that unless he makes a change. Also despite what a lot of people think, I think Tyreke is going to fit right into this new system. He gets a lot of bad press for being selfish but when he was playing I saw him passing the ball all the time. the fact was that our team just wasnt making their shots. His assist numbers could be much higher if they were playing at the level that they are now.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I agree with the last two posts.
Thornton may be the odd man out, but, they were a solid backcourt combo once. The bigger issue is what that leaves on the bench.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I doubt we do the Reke/Thornton backcourt jsut because it has the potential to kill our ball movement game. Marcus's hands are sticky, and that's 3 shot hungry guys at once. Not saying it could nto work, or did not once show signs of working. But am saying that the Cuz situation is delicate now. he's passing willingly, on the promise he'll get a return pass. Surrounded by rolelayers, that's true. Surrounded by roelplayers and a good passing wingman like Reke, its probably still true. Surrouded by 2 roleplayers and 2 guys who both would like to go off for 20 if they could...you can't be sure. You jsut don't want to lose Cuz's attention here. nor probably do you want to throw Thornont out there in that kind of lineup until Cuz's predominance is so well established that Marcus will actually think of it as such and understand he has to pass to play out there with him.

Note I am generally in favor of that lineup in theory, and hardly think our minichuckers help much except their own chucking. But #1 and above else is cememnting this Cousins, and the Evans we saw earlier, in those playing styles. Once it is jut secodn natur, just what they do, then we can start messing aourdn wiht lineuops aroudn them wihtout losing the stars in the muddle. Right now though it might be too delicate. I'm certianly not going to pout if we go back to playing big, but I am going to worry and watch Cuz's reaction closely the next toime Marcus throws up 3 shots in a row withotu a single pass.

I'd say just trade Thornton for another BIG (preferably a young defensive center) to balance the roster some more. Include IT in the trade to once and for all get rid of this team of midget.

I'd rather see this starting line-up:

SG: Salmons
SF: JJ

That would really look like and play like a legit NBA playoff team, especially that Cousins and Evans seems like have taken upon themselves to play good no matter how bad the coach.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Leave Thornton on the bench. We need scoring when Smart takes all the starters out at once and puts in the B team.
Well whoever it is, I would much rather Smart quit this groveling wannabe like Pop/Nellie nonsense, and just take 5 strong starters and play them 5 LONG starters minutes, thus minimizing a weak bench by only allowing it maybe 12-14 minutes of action a night. Furthermore, you shorten that 12-14 min into 3 players, not 5, and so you get 13x5=65min, divide it by 3 main reserves, and then each of them gets maybe 22 min. Which is enough.

As has so often been the case with us, much of our solution is our dolts slowly figuring things out that the rest of us already know. As they start doing things right, what do you know, results have gotten better. The rotation is yet another one of those things. A man of Smart's age should know better. He does not. But it would help this team immensely if like a young child he blunders his way around making mistakes and figures that one out too.

I think a line-up with both Cisco and Salmons to stretch the defense could be ideal for Evans AND Cousins. I'm not big on changing the PG again, but last night showed me that our mini-guards are just not big and strong enough for the top tier guards.

So, what I'm suggesting:

SG: Cisco
SF: Salmons
PF: JT

IT should be the back-up guard and the rest of the benchmob would consist of: Thornton, James Johnson, T-Rob and Hayes(he works quite well together with Thornton). Jimmer would become the third guard and Brooks should...well...take the Rob Sacre roll(for those unfamiliar with Sacre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVuySQT-eY).

As much as Keith Smart likes to use his bench, Thornton is better utilized as a high minutes 6th man. I like these lineups.

Evans
Cisco (Whoever can hit an open three the best. If Brooks or Jimmer, they would guard the opponents smallest player and Tyreke would guard the bigger one, if Cisco then vice-versa)
Salmons
Thompson
Cousins

Players to come off the bench in order of minutes played:
Thornton (I recommend letting Thornton get some more playing time until he is great trade bait and then dump him)
JJ (can guard 3 positions and offensively play two. Thus has the potential to be a high minutes player)
IT

Less minutes but still play
Robinson
Jimmer (If Thornton is traded, give Jimmer Thornton's minutes)

Players that should never play, or only play in special circumstances:
Outlaw
Hayes
Honeycutt (I have not given up on him yet)

THUS, there is a strong starting 5 and 3 main bench players. Thus, there is an 8-man rotation. Cousins, Thompson and Tyreke should get as many minutes as they want. I recommend no less than 36 minutes for them. Tyreke is in the physical condition, when healthy, to do 40+ and Thompson could do so as well if he were used to it. He has shown great conditioning. Cousins should play at least 9 minutes of every quarter.

Thornton can get high minutes through subbing for Evans and whoever plays the 2-guard spot. His offensive play dictates his minutes. If he is cold as ice, he gets less. If he is on fire, he gets more. I like Thornton getting a lot of his minutes in the 4th quarter at the SG spot. He is absolutely fearless with his shot, for good and for bad.

Johnson can guard and play multiple spots. He is one of the few, if only, players on this team that can guard 2-3 positions for any stretch of time. He can also be an offensive mismatch. His play has also improved throughout the season, so he is showing a strong work ethic.

IT has played his way into the rotation as the first PG off the bench, and could even play PG until Tyreke is 100% healthy. He has a little string of hero ball in him but if he limits that he will be a very capable #2 PG for many years to come.

Jimmer is getting lost on this team as long as Thornton is here and his defense stays a liability. His defense has improved, as has his confidence and shot. He shows signs of hard work and it should pay off. However, this team has sooooo many guards that someone will always get lost in the fray, and unfortunately it is him. As I have mentioned numerous times, Thornton would be great trade bait and is really the only trade-able guard on this team.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Bottom line in order for Tyreke to get PG min we have to shed a PG. I would love to do a Jimmer/brooks + Outlaw + hayes for a legit big. Don't really have to be good just big. I would trade those 3 for Blatch, Thabeet, maybe even Hawes to help spread the floor for reke to get some stuff going to the basket.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I like that lineup and might try it down the road, but first and foremost I want to see how Smart manages a healthy Reke and MT upon their return. I'm not at all convinced Smart can implement both without screwing with our recent success.

I do think a considerable part of our recent success is Reke/MT being out and Smart not having much choice of who plays, as the decision of who plays is practically made for him with a lack of options available. Starter or not, IT vs Brooks, he still only have to divvy up mins between 3-4 guards most nights in IT/Brooks, Cisco and Jimmer. Put a healthy Reke and MT back in the mix and lets see if he still plays 3-4 guards.

It's not that we're better without Reke and MT as some believe, but instead that it's only 3-4 guards playing, they're getting mostly consistent mins each night, and their roles suddenly are becoming more regular and on court chemistry is improving because of it which is exactly what Smart has refused to do when we have a healthy backcourt.

As much as Keith Smart likes to use his bench, Thornton is better utilized as a high minutes 6th man. I like these lineups.

Evans
Cisco (Whoever can hit an open three the best. If Brooks or Jimmer, they would guard the opponents smallest player and Tyreke would guard the bigger one, if Cisco then vice-versa)
Salmons
Thompson
Cousins

Thornton (I recommend letting Thornton get some more playing time until he is great trade bait and then dump him)
JJ (can guard 3 positions and offensively play two. Thus has the potential to be a high minutes player)
IT

Less minutes but still play
Robinson
Jimmer (If Thornton is traded, give Jimmer Thornton's minutes)

Players that should never play, or only play in special circumstances:
Outlaw
Hayes
Honeycutt (I have not given up on him yet)

THUS, there is a strong starting 5 and 3 main bench players. Thus, there is an 8-man rotation. Cousins, Thompson and Tyreke should get as many minutes as they want. I recommend no less than 36 minutes for them. Tyreke is in the physical condition, when healthy, to do 40+ and Thompson could do so as well if he were used to it. He has shown great conditioning. Cousins should play at least 9 minutes of every quarter.

Thornton can get high minutes through subbing for Evans and whoever plays the 2-guard spot. His offensive play dictates his minutes. If he is cold as ice, he gets less. If he is on fire, he gets more. I like Thornton getting a lot of his minutes in the 4th quarter at the SG spot. He is absolutely fearless with his shot, for good and for bad.

Johnson can guard and play multiple spots. He is one of the few, if only, players on this team that can guard 2-3 positions for any stretch of time. He can also be an offensive mismatch. His play has also improved throughout the season, so he is showing a strong work ethic.

IT has played his way into the rotation as the first PG off the bench, and could even play PG until Tyreke is 100% healthy. He has a little string of hero ball in him but if he limits that he will be a very capable #2 PG for many years to come.

Jimmer is getting lost on this team as long as Thornton is here and his defense stays a liability. His defense has improved, as has his confidence and shot. He shows signs of hard work and it should pay off. However, this team has sooooo many guards that someone will always get lost in the fray, and unfortunately it is him. As I have mentioned numerous times, Thornton would be great trade bait and is really the only trade-able guard on this team.
i'd like to see for a starting line up

reke
jimmer
salmons or jj
jt
cousins

jimmer is more than willing & capable passer and will stretch the defense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think there has got to be trade coming. Too many scenarios. Too much reduncancy in the roster. Too many headaches to put the round pegs in the square holes.

That said, my guess is that Smart continues with IT as a starter and eventually has Tyreke as the starting 2. Then when Tyreke becomes the starter Thornton is about ready to come off the bench. Maybe he doesn't start Tyreke initially just to get his cardio up to speed. I dunno. At least that's my guess.

Maybe. If Cousins continues to play like C-Webb and Tyreke decides to channel is Inner-Magic, then the lineup has a shot at working. The problem that lineup has always had though is 3 alpha-dogs in a lineup at once does not work. I don't trust Thornton to sacrifice his offense and shots for Reke and Cousins. The big problem is Thornton isn't a guy who can make a living off of 10-11 shots, nor does he contribute much outside of his scoring ability.
this.

This team just desperately needs a trade, too many guards that want minutes. I'm sure IT is playing tight knowing that a bad move gives Brooks the rest of the minutes at PG for the night. Thornton, Brooks and Jimmer are pretty much similar players(Jimmer a more willing passer). At least one of these should be traded, especially since Tyreke and Salmons can play the 1,2 and 3 if needed.

i'd like to see for a starting line up

reke
jimmer
salmons or jj
jt
cousins

jimmer is more than willing & capable passer and will stretch the defense.

Jimmer needs to come off the bench for the sole reason that he will get torched by whichever starting backcourt player he is guarding. he needs to be matched up with the opponents backup guards

I'd rather see this starting line-up:

SG: Salmons
SF: JJ

That would really look like and play like a legit NBA playoff team, especially that Cousins and Evans seems like have taken upon themselves to play good no matter how bad the coach.
This lineup doesn't spread the floor well enough to make Tyreke effective or make DeMarcus' new found unselfishness effective.

As much as we hate on smart for playing too many players.... truth is that he is probably forced to do so in order to keep their values up. We'll see come the trade deadline.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
My preference at this point would be one of these:

Evans, Garcia, Salmons, Cousins, Thompson
Evans, Salmons, Johnson, Cousins, Thompson

Though neither one is ideal. Salmons is fitting in well and the thing I like about having IT in the starting lineup is that he gets the ball into the post. But Cousins and Evans are the two big weapons so they need to be playing together. Garcia gives us another shooter out there -- at least until we can replace him with someone who does his job better. Johnson on the other hand gives us a solid perimeter defender but he's not a consistent enough three point threat to space the floor. Probably it's a match up issue depending on what you need more. I really liked how he contributed in that Boston game in particular. He made Pierce a non-factor for much of the game. Going forward I'd probably like to keep Salmons at SG and try to trade Thornton and misc. parts for a SF who can both spot-up shoot and defend.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Evans
Cisco
Salmons
Thompson
Cousins

IT
I'd actually really like to see that lineup as well. Shockingly Salmons has gone from ball pounding offense killer to facilitator and useful role player. And Cisco at his best is an active (if somewhat physically limited) defender who gets his hands on balls, blocks shots, moves the ball, handles a little and spots up for threes well. It gives the team three roleplayers along with Tyreke and Cousins, has enough shooting between Garcia and Salmons and should be good defensively. I worry about rebounding, but I still like this lineup better than any other option.

I'd also look at having the bench play faster than the starters. Rest DMC and move JT to center when either Robinson or Johnson comes in as the PF and bring in IT or Brooks as well. Push the pace and make Thornton the go to scorer.