Harry Giles thread back on track ;)

Harry's NBA Ceiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the coaching staff see's with Giles. The talent is all there. There must be some type of disconnect when it comes to playing within the offensive and/or defensive schemes. That's all I can think of.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He needs to get into game shape if hes going to play more than 10 mins.
I agree, and game shape doesn't always refer to being physically in shape. The only way to get your timing back is to be actual games against players that are seriously trying to beat you. It's different than practice, where you get to know the little habits of your teammates. There are no surprises after a while. Basketball is a reactionary sport, and instinctive sport, and playing is the only way to hone those skills.

I hear what everyone is saying about Giles needing more minutes. I don't disagree. But the timing seems odd when the Kings are down so many players right now. Regardless of the fact that 2 are SFs that we're missing. I'm looking at healthy bodies you can throw out there. You pull Giles and you're now down 4 players. Someone gets in foul trouble and now half the team's gone.

Giles reminds me of my daughter. She was tall and “energy efficient”. Here AAU coach put her at the end of the bench because she didn’t bring the energy he wanted.

Her high school coach said she had the highest basketball IQ of any player she ever had. She was first team all metro and played two years of D1 college after playing 4 years of volleyball. Giles is playing for the wrong coach. He needs to play for a Stevens or Pop who would appreciate and utilize his BBIQ.

I was watching the G League showcase last night. Giles and Williams were very unimpressive. There were plenty of scouts in the stands. No one could hit a shot on either team. Giles really lacks intensity. He plays too much like Skal and Willie. Too passive.

The NBA is full of grown men that play fast. It is not for everyone. Not even everyone with talent. The Kings really need a 5 with some attitude.

dude12

Hall of Famer
As long as Dave Joerger is coach Giles needs to get out of Sac.... consider Joeger had given Troy Williams and Jakar Sampson more minutes than Giles.
Those guys play different positions. You know that......right? Have you forgotten that Joerger gave Harry a spot in the rotation early on in the season and he proceeded to foul anything and everything that moved.

Has Joerger and his staff not done enough to muster some trust in developing our young guys?

I watched him last night. Let me tell you about Giles, the good and the not so good. Giles has a beautiful offensive game. He has a soft touch. He has a face up game. He has a jab step. He has touch with his left hand. He has a drop step. He has a high release point. He can deliver pinpoint passes. It is not difficult to see why the Kings fell in love with him and drafted him when they did. The offensive repertoire is complete. Scoring is easy for him. Passing is easy for him. Reading and picking apart defenses is easy for him. He knows it and plays with a swagger and confidence. He will body his man in the post to create separation. This is a little thing but it is more than what Willie does.

Now, the not so good. He has an air of self-entitlement about him. He never had to try that hard to get rebounds or play defense because he was so much better athletically. He cannot fall back on that any more. He has to do his work early to get rebounds and take away real estate on the floor. He doesn't do that. He is not active enough. Not nearly enough. He doesn't respect his opponent enough, like Cousins back in the day. He needs to be humbled so that he transforms his mindset with regards to defending and rebounding. Maybe that is what the G League assignments are intended to do.

Giles runs in a straight line. I do not see him move laterally. When does he slide his feet to cut off penetration? I don't see it. You cannot be a good player in the NBA if you do not move laterally. If you only move in one plane. His hops are not great but look improved from the start of the year. If Giles wants to be taken seriously as a player, this is next step, play defense with your feet not your hands. Recognize you are not going up against high schoolers any more that you can overwhelm. The talent gap has closed. You need to exert more effort and technique to realize your potential.

I was watching the G League showcase last night. Giles and Williams were very unimpressive. There were plenty of scouts in the stands. No one could hit a shot on either team. Giles really lacks intensity. He plays too much like Skal and Willie. Too passive.

The NBA is full of grown men that play fast. It is not for everyone. Not even everyone with talent. The Kings really need a 5 with some attitude.
This is a harsh and incomplete assessment. Giles has a beautiful offensive game. See my post above for a more comprehensive analysis.

I watched him last night. Let me tell you about Giles, the good and the not so good. Giles has a beautiful offensive game. He has a soft touch. He has a face up game. He has a jab step. He has touch with his left hand. He has a drop step. He has a high release point. He can deliver pinpoint passes. It is not difficult to see why the Kings fell in love with him and drafted him when they did. The offensive repertoire is complete. Scoring is easy for him. Passing is easy for him. Reading and picking apart defenses is easy for him. He knows it and plays with a swagger and confidence. He will body his man in the post to create separation. This is a little thing but it is more than what Willie does.

Now, the not so good. He has an air of self-entitlement about him. He never had to try that hard to get rebounds or play defense because he was so much better athletically. He cannot fall back on that any more. He has to do his work early to get rebounds and take away real estate on the floor. He doesn't do that. He is not active enough. Not nearly enough. He doesn't respect his opponent enough, like Cousins back in the day. He needs to be humbled so that he transforms his mindset with regards to defending and rebounding. Maybe that is what the G League assignments are intended to do.

Giles runs in a straight line. I do not see him move laterally. When does he slide his feet to cut off penetration? I don't see it. You cannot be a good player in the NBA if you do not move laterally. If you only move in one plane. His hops are not great but look improved from the start of the year. If Giles wants to be taken seriously as a player, this is next step, play defense with your feet not your hands. Recognize you are not going up against high schoolers any more that you can overwhelm. The talent gap has closed. You need to exert more effort and technique to realize your potential.
I think this is fair. But some of what you see I think is Giles uses his intelligence to pace himself. You rarely see Giles make an all out effort to get a ball he has no chance of obtaining. That’s what guys like Williams and Sampson do. Lots of fans and coaches love it but it’s actually a negative energy play with low probability of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.