Grades v. Thunder 03/07/10

Assuming we add a major piece this summer, what position would you like them to play?

• Center

Votes: 87 83.7%
  • Power Forward

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Small Forward

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Shooting Guard

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Point Guard

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And we're off.

In honor of a good hard fought game in which bodies went flying and blood was spilt (literally), theme will be: Great Moments in the History of Basketball Pugilism:

in progress...

Greene ( B ) -- ah, Donte Greene, the journey continues. This time it was back in the starting lineup with Casspi being given a rather odd night off -- you know, those 15mpg are pretty exhausting and all. So Donte got the start as maybe our best hope vs. Durant, and he acquitted himself well in the early going. Got an alley oop dunk to start the game (Spencer's real value has been as a passer), and while he picked up 2 quick fouls trying to guard Durant it was time fro Westphal to stubbornly refuse to give him the automatic hook because of them, and he left him out there to play. Good thing too, and it seemed to get him mad and he immediately responded with a great drive and reverse dunk. Good defense and DUrant, right on him, hadn in his face, and Durant still shot over him. Missed a jumper, and then gambled for steal but missed at midcourt. More good defense on Durant who again hit the three anyway. Good physical drive and finish +1 through contact. But missed the FT. Forced a drive, got blocked, and think that triggered him getting pulled just before the end of the first. Returned in the late 2nd, drove along the baseline and got fouled, and tied it at 50 with the FTs. Got the third foul on him just before half when Durant slammed into him. Had played about 14 minutes by half, and good competitive minutes. Slop here and there, but had challenged Durant and made him work. And yet would play only 5 more. In the third missed the stop and pop on the right side. Then a running drive came up short. Pulled, and never returned, Played no minutes at all in the 4th as once again it was the old guy crew of Ime, Noc, Cisco eating up those minnutes, and this wihtout Casspi even being active.
[yt=McHale Clothelines Rambis]X7r6vXeOfyQ[/yt]
McHale's famed flying clothesline on Rambis (ironically coaching McHale's old team in Minny now) at the height of the Celtics/Lakers rivalry -- far better than all that fake stuff you see in the WWE.

Landry ( B+ ) -- 3rd straight strong game for Landry, and if he wants keep up putting up 20-8 type numbers every night, he will answer the question of whether he's a starter squarely int he affirmative -- basically another David West. Missed his first jumper, then got a layup from Spencer, muscled up a layup through heavy traffic for the +1, but missed the FT. Fouled and missed the first before hitting the second. Powered up another post shot, and was carrying us in the early going. Traveled in the post. Int he second quarter his and Hawes' lack of rebounding really began to hurt us as we got pounder in there. Out of the timeout at the 5:30 mark hit a jumper. Another jumper set up by Reke. After half got blocked inside, and trying to get the ball back inadvertently clawed Westbrook over the eye and bloodied him, sending him to the lockerroom for stitches. Step back jumper out of the timeout at the 6:30 mark. Then a catch and shoot 18 footer. Slipped the pick and roll and got the dunk. Offensive reb and good finish through traffic. Started the 4th with a missed shot up against the clock. Post move and got fouled against the double team. Only made 1 of 2 FTs. Missed the post move in traffic. Came up with a help block on Westbrook to trigger a break inside the 2:00 mark. Better early than late in this one, which goes against his rep coming over. But playing and getting minutes like a major starter. You could feel the difference in the rebounding when Jason came in. But you can also feel the sea change in just steady professional confident play while Carl is out there. Very much belongs.
[yt=Mailman Clocks Zeke]6bM-Y4UoiAY[/yt]
The situation: Zeke is upset that he has been passed over for the Dream Team in favor of Stockton. Being a punk even back then he starts spouting off to the media about how Stockton is a token, has accomplished nothing etc. Mailman takes umbrage and decides to let him know about it with a vicious flying elbow -- the smack was so loud you can hear it on the vid. Zeke went down with 40 stitches.

Hawes ( C+ ) -- one of those huh games where Spencer flashed skill, did a lot of the little nifty things right, and yet once again forgot the meat and potatoes. Pass to Donte for the ally oop to start things, nice drive and dish to Landry to follow. Got boarded over by Krstic, but got the block. Ran the floor and took the nice pass from Reke for the dunk -- with Landry providing a steady source of throw it to him and let him go one on one post play, dunks off movement have become an increasing percentage of Specner's play. In the n2nd turned it over on the pass trying to get it to JT. Short on the jumper. No rebounding in the second stint either. Set a big screen on Durant that knocked him off his feet and was called illegal. Slowed after half, and JT began to eat most of the minutes. Hit a running hook to start the quarter. Later got fouled, but missed both FTs. In the 4th competed well for an offensive board. Swept to the hoop with a long hook and came up short. Wil again get some bumps here for some nifty skill plays, as a passer in particualr -- you can clearly see the Webb/Vlade/Miller heritage there. But these grades are always going to be capped as long as we, and Spencer, are getting killed on the boards. Second game in a week in which Nenad Krstic, noted softie and averaging fewer than 5rebs a game, has killed Spencer on the glass. Just should not happen.
[yt=Kermit nearly kills Rudy T]1k1i4Ddngg8[/yt]
A very famous event which really caused the NBA to start taking a closer look at oncourt thuggery in the late 70's. A scuffle ensued at midcourt, Rudy T comes racing up court, whether to get involved or to break it up who knows, and Kermit Washington spins on him, lines him up, and levels him with a right cross. The blow crushed Rudy's face, and he nearly died as spinal fluid leaked into his throat. As an aside, I have no idea why we have the black and white with the artsy treatment here, just the only short and to the point vid I could find.

Udrih ( C ) -- a quiet game, and even quieter than the modest numbers (10pts 5ast) when you consider that 3 of those points came off freebie technical free throws when the Thunder melted down in the 2nd quarter. Scored over by Sefalosha back to back times early, and Thabo is not a scorer. Missed a three. Missed the point blank layup from Reke, and was shaky on layups all night. Started the second getting the technical FT on Green's T. Lost his man and hit the pullup. Then a little layup. Dish to Cisco for the side J. Drove and got it blocked. Steal along the baseline and got out on the break and set up Reke. Nice quick move got him all the way to the hoop and just blew the layup. Another technical FT, this time on Westbrook's play. Then a third FT off a 3rd T, this one on Durant (we had technical's on the Thunder's three best players before half - a perilous situation for them and after half I think I might have been whispering sweet nothings in their ears about their mothers if I had been on the court). Very little after half. Got stripped inside to start the third, missed the jumper, but racked up a loot of empty minutes. In the 4th caused a 24 second violation when he refused to shoot the ball and started to swing it too late. Stepped up to hit a potentially big three from Reke, but it was too little too late.
[yt=The Brawl at the Palace]h2-I01cDdhY[/yt]
Stern no doubt wishes this tape could be burned. Unfortunately its the digital age, and everything, except for really funny pictures of Sergie Monia, lives on forever.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( B+ ) -- Got off to the slow start again, came on strong after half for a long stretch, but outdueled by Westbrook in the 4th. Got to the hoop for his first shot but missed the layup, again got to the hoop and missed the finish. Nice pass to set up Beno for the layup, but Beno missed it too. Open court steal on Westbrook and dished to Hawes for the dunk. Snaked down the left baseline and finished. Had to force a jumper against the clock and clanked it off the board. Nice spin setup of JT for the jumpor. In the 2nd missed the random 18 ft jumper. Tough physical drive+1 to beat the clock, but banged knees and came down clutching his knee and stopped bent over on the barrier behind the photogrpahers... arena got very quiet until it was eveident it was just banged knees and not something more serious. Hit the FT afterward. Terrible post feed attempt to JT for the TO. Out on the break and took the layup form Beno. Set up Landry for the jumper. Missed the fastbreak layup. Missed another random jumpoer. In the 3rd started with a nice reverse over his head layup to start. Then pulled up and splashed in the short jumper -- just after I had pronounced that he no longer had a jumper, he proceeded to start draining them, and show no hesitation in doing so. Never question the confidence of a great player. Then forced to take a three against the clock, and again drained it. Maybe got a little overconfident as he called over apick to free him up for another jumper, and missed it. Got fouled on a drive that would have been a dunk if the refs had just swallowed their whistles. Hit both FTs though, so no harm done. Stole the ball from Durant and started the break, but held it too long and got stripped. Luckily it bounded to Udoka for the layup. On the break and kicked to Cisco for the three. Then beat the 3rd quarter buzzer with a three of his own to cut it to 2. Started the 4th scooping up a ball and going full court for the finish...and then got called for the T for taunting the OKC bench as he had something to say to them on the way back up. Another drive and dish to Cisco for a three. Kick to Beno for the three at the 3:45 mark. Drive at the 2:45 mark and got fouled, but only hit 1 of 2. Beautiful spin move at the 1:50 with the hook and we were still right there. But then came somthing uncharacteristic -- drove again, got fouled again, setting up the whoile late game dominance thing again. And stepped to the line in the clutch and....missed both FTs. Effectively an empty possession at the 1:00 mark and we never recovered. Beat by Westbrook down the left lane for maybe the sealer at the 50 second mark. Still 24 4 and 7 with 3 steals as its pretty amazing that our youngest player is also our most consistent.

Jeff Van Gundy Amongst the Trees -- at the height of the Knicks/Heat rivalry in the late 90s a brawl breaks out between Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson/Oakley. Little old JVG comes racing in off the sidelines to try to break it up and ends up getting tossed around like a chewtoy, falls to the ground, and clings desperately to Zo's ankle like a bald little chiuhuahua trying to slow down a raging bull.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Cisco ( B ) -- jumper on the curl out of the timeout with a couple of minutes to go in the quarter, missed a three. In the 2nd forced an open court turnover by the Thunder. Missed a j, but then knocked down another set up by Beno. Got his 3pt shot blocked with 20 second to go in the first half. Canned a big three from Reke on the break at the end of the 3rd, and then came out in the 4th and knocked down another big one on the same Reke drive and kick. Too quick with his next shot and missed the side jumper wiht nobody underneath to board. Side pop hit. Huge three out of the timeout at the 40 second mark. Strong game off the bench, and really the first sights of that clutch shooter ability that could make him such a valuable roleplayer in that backcourt next to Reke going forward.

Van Gundy Clocked by Camby -- and while we're on the amusing little gerbil, fast forward 4 years, Van Gundy is still coaching New York, they are playing the Spurs, and Marcus Camby just completely loses it against noted provocateur...Danny Ferry? Probelm is that the little gerbil is out on the court again tryignt o play peacemaker. The bigger problem is that Marcus Camby may never have thrown a punch before in his life, and his wild haymaker aimed at Ferry instead lands squarely on JVGs little bald noggin, sending him sprawling and requiring a bunch of stitches. Not everyday you get knocked out by your own player.

Thompson ( B- ) -- back off the injury and showed no ill effects (or positive effects -- it was just Jason as usual). Started the game with a good aggresive d-board -- notable just because nobody else was working the glass for us at that point -- and went down the other way and canned an 18 footer. Actually played good defense down on the other end, albeit on Collison, without fouling. Knocked down another long jumper courtesy of a nice Reke setup/clearout. In the 2nd got powered over by Ibaka, and then picked up an offensive foul going for the tip. Good boxout and one handed snag of the boar on a missed FT. Persistently powered up a post move after getting it slapped away repeatedly, got the +1 and hit it. Got called for a moving screen offensive foul. In the 3rd got blocked on the post move. Strong d-board to trigger a break. Started the final quarter getting blocked inside, triggerring a Thunder fastbreak. Got the offensive board off a Landry miss and finished. Finished off a wild play inside after about 4 passes. Forced up a long jumper against the shotclock at the 3:00 mark, and missed it of course. Missed the 18 footer in depseration time. Felt very much like a Jaosn game. Some boardwork, some aggressiveness ont he offensive glass in particualr. A couple of jumpers. Various dumb fouls, tunrovers, and other slop. But a definite upgrade over the undersized scrub of the month fillin stuff we've had to go with for much of the year, and you can see now that the frontcourt minutes are just about complete with Hawes/Landry starting, and JT backing up both.
[yt=Player Punches Ref]6ymKalpw1Qg[/yt]
This was an amazing incident that happened a few years back down in the South American leagues. Many an NBA player has probably had wet dreams about this sort of thing, but when you actually see it it is still shocking. Big center doesn't like a call a referee made, so he cuts him off and just knocks the crap out of him with a huge right cross -- should have been a boxer, not a basketball player (and since I assume no league would take him after this, maybe that's what he's doing now, who knows). Broke and dislocated the refs jaw, he was unconscious for 3 hours, and they had to do emergency surgery to save the eyesight in his left eye.

McGuire ( INC ) -- came in at the end of the first for Donte and immediately got a putback dunk. Started the 2nd with an interior pass attempt turnover, was gone soon therafter and never returned. Odd.
[yt=Bruce Bowen = The Karate Kid]5kj6h8TF58U[/yt]
Wax on, wax off. Just good fundamental defense. Really.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Nocioni ( C- ) -- Came in during the second and was agressive as usual on offense. Drive and fouled, then wild drive and missed the layup. Hit a little jumper in th epaint. drew the offenice foul agains. Got called for a phantom foul on Durant -- replay showed he absolutely did not touch him and was very upset -- seemed esepcially chippy all game. In the 4th curled for a jumper and knocked it down. Got his three blocked. Got called for the flagrant trying to stop the break against Westbrook. Forced a long tunaround post miss. Missed a three from the corner. Apparently got into an altercation with Reke at that point when the kid told him to quit trying to prove something with forced shots. Near steal in desperation time, but stepped out of bounds.
[yt=You Know]hZWA5ygow5Q[/yt]
Can't explain the odd treatment however, just the only vid I could find of it.

Udoka ( B- ) -- In for the first time in the third and quickly fouled Durant. Pass to Landry for the dunk. Went to the ground trying to get a steal from Durant, but came up short. Strong offensive board, but got it stripped trying to up. Finsihed the break after Reke was stripped. Got minutes in the 4th but other than missing the side jumper you wouldn't have known it. Gets an extrahalf point kick here for being one of the only guys on the glass for us.
[yt=Girls punch too]X8heo66ZxWA[/yt]
Saw this on the wire a few days back.

Notes: Krstic slipping to the hoop completely uncontested behnd our pressure at the 30 second mark finished us.

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

only got to see the last 5mins of this game... looked competitive... but dang Spencer Hawes with 2 boards in 24mins..... hmm...

i'll leave it at that.

Good to see Evans bounce back in a big way.

other than the obvious weaknesses... this team of ours is exciting and its nice to have all these close games

Last edited by a moderator:
I put C, if JT could just figure out his defensive positioning and stop trying to dribble when he catches the ball in the paint he would be set.

I voted power forward. My logic is, Landry moves to SF but can obviously play PF. Hawes or JT remains as two centers on the roster and may best "man" win. 5 is less of an important position in the NBA since there's so few talented big men above 6'11." Maybe Dorsey or Brockman can provide decent back mins on the front line but no question Kings need a LOT of help up front - but at least one solid piece is in place with Landry. As far as SF's Casspi and Greene - both still have a LOT of growing to do and a LOT to prove at NBA level. Landry already is "there."

Last edited:
With regards to the poll...I think that everyone here will say that we would like a shiny new center. It's not a knock on Hawes, I think he has the talent and potential to be very good one day, but in the NBA, there are two positions that matter more than all of the others, point guard and center (and by point guard, I mean primary ball handler). They also happen to be the two toughest positions to fill. You get a great ball handler and a great C, and you're talking championship. That's pretty much the traditional mold for a contender.

With regards to the game...what the hell happened to our rebounding? We're a bigger team than they are, but we just didn't hustle or box out enough to win this game. Sad.

I, of course, answered C.

We are "ok" at all the other positions other then the 5. There were the rumors of us turning down Okafor which would make me crazy if we don't have a good chance of getting a decent big in free agency.

Of course, we would want Bosh if we could get him but I think that he sounds like the only big man that we might have a chance to get. And he doesn't even address our major concern (defense).

Assuming we Draft a big guy....Whiteside? Cousins? (sorry, didn't try to get this into a trade/draft post!)

Last edited:
I, of course, answered C.

We are "ok" at all the other positions other then the 5. There were the rumors of us turning down Okafor which would make me crazy if we don't have a good chance of getting a decent big in free agency.

Of course, we would want Bosh if we could get him but I think that he sounds like the only big man that we might have a chance to get. And he doesn't even address our major concern (defense).

Assuming we Draft a big guy....Whiteside? Cousins? (sorry, didn't try to get this into a trade/draft post!)
You know what...I'd ALMOST say Whiteside, but there is the 'unknown' to factor in there, with him being so young(like alot of our guys already)...but I do like Aldrich, and I think getting a Joel Pryzbilla kind of guy like him would probably help more for the 'now' than the potential of another guy, obviously. Should be interesting.

The Kings need starters at three positions: center, power forward, and small forward. I say that meaning none of the present crop has convinced me that he a starter at any of the three positions. So as the poll poster asked - what position should we try to solve first? I'm looking forward to seeing what Petrie and the Maloofs do.

Addendum: Sorry and my apologies to Landry. I was wrong. He is the power forward. I guess its time for me to go to bed.

Last edited:
K

Kingsguy881

only got to see the last 5mins of this game... looked competitive... but dang Spencer Hawes with 2 boards in 24mins..... hmm...

i'll leave it at that.

Good to see Evans bounce back in a big way.

other than the obvious weaknesses... this team of ours is exciting and its nice to have all these close games
You and Spencer need to just get a room together. Sick of it.

You know what...I'd ALMOST say Whiteside, but there is the 'unknown' to factor in there, with him being so young(like alot of our guys already)...but I do like Aldrich, and I think getting a Joel Pryzbilla kind of guy like him would probably help more for the 'now' than the potential of another guy, obviously. Should be interesting.
I don't want to spend that high of a draft pick on Aldrich, but I do like what he has to offer. People that call him Spencer 2.0 or Miller 3.0 are totally wrong. Pryzbilla is a better comparison.

I'm also not too high on either Whiteside or Cousins. I admit, I haven't seen too much of either of them but they both look like they would be awesome or horrible.

With regards to the poll...I think that everyone here will say that we would like a shiny new center. It's not a knock on Hawes, I think he has the talent and potential to be very good one day, but in the NBA, there are two positions that matter more than all of the others, point guard and center (and by point guard, I mean primary ball handler). They also happen to be the two toughest positions to fill. You get a great ball handler and a great C, and you're talking championship. That's pretty much the traditional mold for a contender.

With regards to the game...what the hell happened to our rebounding? We're a bigger team than they are, but we just didn't hustle or box out enough to win this game. Sad.
Disagree. The PG position is overrated. You need a strong wing player and a C. Or a top flight C and a bunch of shooters and a steady PG like the rockets with Hakeem.

All the votes should go toward PF and C; anyone voting for any other position should get a one week ban. :p
LOL I second that !! We really dont have a center on our team ! Truck Robinson was a power forward, or he would suit up at this point!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_Robinson

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robintr01.html

He averaged 15.7 Rebounds a game in 1977-78! His career average was 15.5 points and 9.4 rebounds a game! We sure could use a center that got those kind of numbers! We need a center who can get double digit rebounds. We need a center period.

I think the Kings played a pretty good game tonight. They just lost to a better team. The officiating was poor but it was poor all over. I think the Kings got the worst of it though. All the Technical Fouls show that the Zebras totally lost control of the game. The Non Call on the desperation 3 by JT in the corner when Kristic ran him down like a road grater and there was STILL no whistle was pathetic. Was the Ref thinking JT flopped? Kristic landed on TOP of HIM! Do the Refs hate JT THAT much? If so, maybe he should change his name. Or never argue another call again the rest of his career. Either way, he needs to repair his relationship with the refs. He had a good game too! 11 points 8 rebounds are big especially when you dont have a Center. Glad to have JT back. Took a whole 12 days off on a broken back. Tough kid.

Tyreke had a pretty good game (24/4/7). It was definitely the type of game that will keep him in the running for ROY. He plays better when his jumper starts going in (or is it the other way around?). It makes it very hard for the defense to double him when he is hitting that jumper before the second defender comes. I really liked the way Tyreke distributed the ball as well. If not for Tyreke Evans and his exciting play, I don't know if I could watch the games. I might have to listen to them on the radio. Evans keeps it interesting and you can see he is giving maximum effort. He is going to get the ROY if he just keeps playing the way he has, which is spectacular for a 20 year old rookie. He is literally carrying the team on his back down the stretch in every game. He leads the team in points (20.3 at 75%) and assists (5.4). He is great at rebounding. He IS the team. If you took Evans off this roster, the Nets would have serious competition for the Cellar Dweller Award. We already have one of those on our mantel.

On a side note, there was a steal by Evans that resulted in a fast break where Tyreke stole the ball in the front court and it was 2 on one with Udoka and Tyreke. 'Reke took the ball all the way to the rim and it was partially deflected by the defender (looked like Evans got fouled no call). Udoka, who was totally open the whole time grabbed the deflection and put it in for a +1. The Camera was on Udoka right after the play and you could read his lips as he said "Pass the Ball !" Looking at 'Reke. Did Tyreke take it all the way because he thought that Udoka would screw up a layup too, or is Tyreke trying to pad his numbers? Anyway, that is very odd that Tyreke would not pass it because Udoka really was wide open and 'Reke missed the shot because the defender was playing him all the way. He must not think much of Udoka to force the ball up through a defender to the rim rather than chance passing it to a player who was wide open and had an easy layup.

Hawes = DNP -PD (Did not Play - Players Decision) +/- = -15. TWO Freeking Rebounds? What The ????

Donte had a bizarre night. Had 8 pts and 1 rebound in 20 minutes. Drove into 8 defenders in the paint and got rejected, which made PW come out of his chair. Next whistle Greene was on the bench. Is he just trying too hard ? There was no way he was going to make a shot driving into all those defenders. Even MJ in his prime would have passed that ball! Somebody had to be open because the entire OKC team was waiting for him at the rim. He made some good plays in the first half, but he seemed to disappear for long stretches during the game. Well, not exactly disappear...you could still see him under a towel on the bench...

They played really hard and lost to a better team. At least our young players got to experience a brutal contact filled game. There was a lot of contact in this game and the refs were inconsistent throughout the whole game which made it worse. Stitches and bodies hitting the ground hard. There were way too many unnecessary hard fouls. Is OKC - Sacto going to become a rivalry? The flagrent on Nocconi was Total BS . He actually hit the ball with his hand. Funny how right after Durrantula got leveled by Hawes on the illegal screen (That was a rough and tough play. Way to go Spencer!), Evans got fouled pretty hard under the basket on a drive attempt knocking him to the ground. That was after Westbrook went to the locker room to form a sewing circle. The Refs let it get out of hand and overcompensated by calling too many technical fouls for dumb stuff. Tyreke got Teed for barking by the OKC bench. Green from OKC got a tech for bouncing the ball too hard in frustration. Westbrook got teed for arguing calls. Refs were clueless. Just bad officiating by seemingly incompetent crew.

Last edited:
landry is sufficient at PF. guy can flat out play. i like the way he gets after it.

our offseason should be either C (one of those young bigs in the draft) , PF (bosh) or SG (turner)

Status
Not open for further replies.