Grades v. Raptors 11/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BigWaxer said:
I 50/50 agree with Doug.

Not sure how to expand on it as the other 50% disagree's. Actually thats how I win fights with my wife. Agree and then disagree behind her back!
I'm confused. I do not want to break a rule and make this about people and not the topic at hand, but I really think it's unfortunate when people who are brand new to the board decide they know all about members and make comments that are just patently untrue.

Mr. S£im and Bricklayer are NOT Adelman bashers. In fact, I believe at times they have both been accused of being Adelman homers... ;)

My point actually is that instead of people throwing around terms like "basher," etc. right off the bat, it would be nice if they'd establish their own credentials first...

Kingsfans.com is a great message board because we strive for tolerance of all points of view. It just seems a shame that that is so often disregarded by new posters.

But, I've said my piece...

GO KINGS!!!!!

T

thesanityannex

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Nobody wants to hear this, especially when it comes to a team that is struggling the way the Kings are, but sometimes, if you're trying to send a message, you have to be willing to lose a game. Or maybe even a couple of games. Sitting the starters for the remainder of a game, win lose or draw, will likely drive a point home more than caving and putting them back in to preserve a chance to win ever could.
i see what you're getting at, but 1. we've lost enough already. 2. this can backfire with certain players.

I am questioning the merrits of their arguments. When you blame someone for a list of things that they have no control over, then I consider that bashing. I did not know the term carried so much stigma on this board so I will try not to use it in the future.

I have layed out my argument and so far the only thing that someone took issue with is that the coach isn't pulling the starters out.

Let's look at it this way:

What is under the coaches control during a game:

1. Substitutions
2. Calling timeouts
3. Play calling
4. Dealing with refs
5. Speaking to players

What has been attributed to Adelman that he has no control over:

1. Players not making shots
2. The makeup of the roster
3. Poor play of bench players
4. Players not playing with intensity

The cure proposed for all of this is to pull the starters out and make the team lose. So it would be better to be 5-8, 5-9, 5-10 just to teach those starters a lesson. At 5-10 you might as well kiss the season good bye in the Pacific Division. The Kings will never catch up.

Being embarrassed by a 1-4 first round loss to Seattle is embarrassing enough. Or a 67-93 blowout to the Hornets got a message to the starters? If those didn't teach the starters anything, then I doubt sitting them down on the bench will.

Why are you saying your peace against my quote?

The 50% I disagree with is that he is saying RA does not warrant the critisism and is saying exactly what you did. But the other 50% agrees with some of his message. Actually and no knock against Slim but I thought he backed up some of what Doug said in his first post. Of course I could be wrong and mis-read the intent. If so thats message board life.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I "said my piece" against your quote because I didn't understand what 50% you were agreeing with and what 50% you weren't. Which is why I said I'm confused...

I have no disagreement whatsoever with you, BW... I'm very sorry if you took it otherwise.

HAHA half the time I don't know what 50% I am talking about either so I understand... Its good VF I didn't take it in a bad way. Besides your my snow status source why would I want to make you mad!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacDoug said:
What is under the coaches control during a game:

1. Substitutions
2. Calling timeouts
3. Play calling
4. Dealing with refs
5. Speaking to players

What has been attributed to Adelman that he has no control over:

1. Players not making shots
2. The makeup of the roster
3. Poor play of bench players
4. Players not playing with intensity
And that I disagree with.

Now 1) you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about wiht the bashing claim, seeing as I have consistently been one of Rick's defenderes on this board, even in these latter days as his time here is winding down. But also 2) I have always thought that 90% of all coaching takes place OFF the court and is evident in the way the team prepares and plays the game. Is the effort there? IS tehre chemistry? Or they unselfish? That is actually by far the LARGEST part of coaching, and IMHO also the part that rick has always excelled at. The in-game stuff which has typically inspired his greatest critics is just the tip fo the iceberg, and only attracts so much attention because it is all we, as fans, can clearly see out in front of us.

Last night Rick did fine in game, but his team came out flat, and they refused to play defense. Nor did we really do much about it. Not much switching it up, no changes to the rotation. If a team comes out with great intensity and precision execution, inevitably the credit bleeds over tot he coach for having them prepped and ready to go. If they come out the opposite...well, the opposite is true. All that kept Rick's grade as far above the team grade ( some sort of C maybe) as it was was the solid in game work.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I dispute your assessment of what the coach has control over. Adelman can absolutely do something about players that are playing without intensity; he can sit them down... He might not be able to control their free will, but he can control their playing time, and if the player is more mature than a three year-old, that's ostensibly the same thing. If the players aren't playing with heart, you sit them down. If the players aren't playing with intensity, you sit them the **** down.

I never thought the day would come when somebody would accuse me of being an Adelman basher... :rolleyes:
Mr. Slim = Adelman basher......hmmmm. Bwahahahahaha!! That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile. Slim, you are obviously misunderstood. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.