[Grades] Grades v. Pelicans 3/7/2016

Meh. Not a roster issue. Even if roster is not a perfect fit, the talent is there to be an eigth seed. Even if you believe there is a hole at any one position, there is enough talent to compensate and be an eighth seed. If you're a complete team with all perfect fits and no holes, you're playing for a title. We're not even worried about a title. We just need a coach to pull the talent together and play .500 ball.

This is a good example of why succesful coaches who are out of the game don't come back unless they find the right team with established players. Most established coaches don't have the patience to start from the ground up and build a contender. Karl will only play vets because he doesn't want to coach. Even Cousins needs to be coached.

Jeff Van Gundy won't come back for this reason. We should have left Karl alone.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Meh. Not a roster issue. Even if roster is not a perfect fit, the talent is there to be an eigth seed. Even if you believe there is a hole at any one position, there is enough talent to compensate and be an eighth seed. If you're a complete team with all perfect fits and no holes, you're playing for a title. We're not even worried about a title. We just need a coach to pull the talent together and play .500 ball.
I want to agree with you. And I'm not endorsing tanking. But regardless of the cause we are a team that seems to have the talent to be an 8 seed and instead we have the 8th worst record in the league. This is a huge disparity. When we were approaching .500 and flirting with the playoffs it was easy for me to believe that the right coach could whip them into shape. But we're struggling to get to 30 wins. That's right where most impartial observers predicted we would be by this point in the season. Maybe the talent just isn't as good as we think it is?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should we re-sign Rondo? I wanted him here more than anyone and now I'm not sure if we should bring him back. I was the only one against extending Rudy Gay - citing his career as a stat stuffing underachiever. But he convinced me he was for real last year to the point where I was defending him early this season while he struggled. Maybe I was right the first time. Maybe Ben is a washout. All the talent in the world means nothing if you're afraid of the basketball. I want to believe George Karl is the problem. That made a lot of sense 3 months ago. But we're already in a hole with our draft obligations. Do we really want to double down on this roster and raise the stakes to $90 million hoping a new coach will get them to play like they care? I'm not happy about it, but that's where I'm at with this team right now.
I don't know that resigning Rondo helps the Kings get where they need to be. And I'm not sure he'd be a lock to re-sign even if the Kings want him. Carmelo is now publicly lobbying for the guy and I think there will be other interested teams that will drive up the price. I'm not convinced that Rondo is a clearly better option than starting Collison (under a different system of course) and I'm pretty certain Rondo's not better to the degree that it's better to re-sign him than it is to take the $16 -$18 million a year he'll likely ask for and improve some other aspect of the team.

Of course it's hard to say without knowing who the next coach is. But personally I'd strongly consider letting Rondo walk, especially if his price gets driven up. I'd certainly explore trading Rudy, would definitely trade Ben and would consider dealing Koufos, especially if Cole Aldrich opts out and can be had for cheaper. I wouldn't mind exploring what it would take to sign Ryan Anderson but I fear the price tag would get ridiculous quickly. In the draft I'd look at SG options and also at dealing the pick for a role player. In a trade down scenario I'd love to grab Levert. I would hope for a bounce back year for Belinelli as he's not going to net much in trade after this season.

Still, a team of

Collison
new SG
Casspi
WCS
Cousins

With a rebuilt bench with Anderson as the sixth man appeals to me more than rolling out this same squad next season at a much higher price tag. Focus on bringing in role players that move the ball and who can defend.

Karl has done an absolutely awful job this year, but I don't know that a good coach does better by leaps and bounds with the same roster.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well that obviously has been a disaster all year -- our defense is in a constant state of being broken down.

But it kind of underscores the WCS thing that I'm quite sure is accelerating/ensuring Karl's demise. If your guards can;t stay in front of anybody, what's your next hope? Well it would be employing long shotblockers back behind them to protect the rim since its under constant threat. On that particular play not only did we not employ our longest/shotblockiest, but we even took the only length we did have on the court out of the play and put him in a position so the only way he could help was to leave a three point shooter open. That just makes absolutely no sense at all. It was like the exact opposite of how we should have been set up. And sure, if Rondo stays in front of his guy the issue is not there, but as a guy who has coached Rondo all year you pretty much have to anticipate he may not and prepare for it.
So let's say there is a shot blocker there to help out. What I see happening is that shot blocker leaves his man to help the player driving to the basket and in return leaves a offensive rebound there for the taking since the players are incapable of switching for one another. Goes right back to the trust factor, either that or just the IQ isn't there. Hell, could be both as far as I'm concerned.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't want to see Cousins traded.

But I am also very far from convinced that this roster will amount to anything, even with the right coach.

And if I'm right about that then how many times can you remake the roster around Boogie?
So you don't want to see Cousins but you think he might need to be traded? Is that it?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you don't want to see Cousins but you think he might need to be traded? Is that it?
Essentially.

Another failed remake of the roster just means Cousins is two years older and if he decides at that point to force his way out the Kings lose some of their leverage in a trade deal.

But I'd much rather see a competitive team built around him and the Kings make the playoffs next season. I guess after all these years I just don't see that happening.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I want to agree with you. And I'm not endorsing tanking. But regardless of the cause we are a team that seems to have the talent to be an 8 seed and instead we have the 8th worst record in the league. This is a huge disparity. When we were approaching .500 and flirting with the playoffs it was easy for me to believe that the right coach could whip them into shape. But we're struggling to get to 30 wins. That's right where most impartial observers predicted we would be by this point in the season. Maybe the talent just isn't as good as we think it is?
The talent just does not mesh. There is talent there, I'm sure there will be some players on this team that other teams will want. They tried it, it didn't work out. Time to move on and try again. I'm not saying revamp the roster, but the trio of Cousins, Rondo and Gay is not a formula for long term success IMO. You obviously don't trade Cousins just yet, so that leaves you with Rondo & Gay to move. Sign and trade Rondo, then trade Gay for defensive role players if possible or another shooter.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know if I agree that there's a particular kind of player that you "need" to be successful with Cousins. But, I look at it this way: if you can build a playoff team around Andre Drummond, than you can build one around DeMarcus Cousins.
What about around Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph? That's been working for Memphis for quite some time too.

As many as he will tolerate.

Seriously. I just don't get constantly defaulting to trading the one thing that's NOT wrong.
Neither he nor I are defaulting to trading him. But when are you folks going to quit the "one thing that is NOT wrong"? Such a position is not only not useful it s counter-productive. When we can start dealing with this teams real problems is when some real progress can be made.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sign and trade Rondo, then trade Gay for defensive role players if possible or another shooter.
Rondo is an unrestricted free agent and the Kings don't have his Bird rights. Add in the cap increase and there's pretty much zero reason for a sign-and-trade deal. If Rondo goes then he goes and the Kings won't gain anything but caproom.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rondo is an unrestricted free agent and the Kings don't have his Bird rights. Add in the cap increase and there's pretty much zero reason for a sign-and-trade deal. If Rondo goes then he goes and the Kings won't gain anything but caproom.
whoops! that's too bad they can't sign and trade him, it could of netted something valuable.

I hear you. But to follow this logic is to say coaches can help you win games, but the aren't responsible for losing games. The talent may not be good enough. But I'm convinced that won paper it's good enough and we are not getting the most out of any of our players except the 2 who always have the ball. Cuz and Rondo.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So let's say there is a shot blocker there to help out. What I see happening is that shot blocker leaves his man to help the player driving to the basket and in return leaves a offensive rebound there for the taking since the players are incapable of switching for one another. Goes right back to the trust factor, either that or just the IQ isn't there. Hell, could be both as far as I'm concerned.
Take a look at the screenshots and make one simple substitution: put WCS in Acy's position.

Potential effects: for some reason the Pelicans actually have Davis turning his back on the play and going up to screen up top. Acy actually ignores him to try to help. So WCS could have done the same thing. the difference then is that as Cole turns that corner, its WCS sliding over and the odds of Cole being able to squirt up a layup through/over that are very low. On the other side of the key Cuz can see that. Now he MAY have instinctually made a msitake and tried to help even with WCS thre. But on the other hand, properly coached (a big ?) to stay home, he might also have see that WCS had that drive covered. Davis is up at the top of the circle screening, and he (Cuz) could afford to stay home on the shooter and maybe even look to pick off a crosscourt pass from Cole headed out in that direction.

My prediction:

1) Rondo and WCS smother Cole along the baseline/point of attack. From the way Cole reacted when Cuz came over I'm not entirely sure the play wasn't drawn up as a drive and kick anyway.

2) with Cuz staying more at home as a giant 7 foot block in the passing lane to the corner, if Cole throws that pass I think there is a reasonable chance Cuz even gets a finger on it, or the pass is off target trying to get over him. If the pass does get there, its a semi-contested three as Cuz recovers rather than the wide open look.

3) Most likely of all, WCS causes Cole to give up the idea of the layup, Cuz in the passing lane causes Cole to give up the idea of the corner three, which leaves the Pels with that action up top where Davis is trying to screen Collison off of...Holiday? Whoever that was. Since Collison is alone up there 1 on 2, I think that's where the pass and the shot goes -- straight on/angle three by whoever, hopefully Collison still in challenging range. Not ideal, and we can still lose on that, but only a third option for the Pels, and lower percentage option than what happened.

P.S. and no BTW, I have no ****ing idea what the hell Collison is doing by that third screenshot with his back entirely turned to his man out at the three point line. So who knows, maybe he doesn't recover because he has no idea what the hell is going on. Maybe there was a pretty cheerleader on the baseline. Dunno.

In many ways this game shows everything that is right and wrong with the Kings. They played well enough to jump out to a 17 point lead. Then they started coasting. Fitness may be an issue with this team because they seem to fade at the end so often. The defensive problems are obvious, especially transition, layups, and the 3 pt line. The Cunningham play was really upsetting.

The Kings did not adjust on offense. Cousins played an impressive game except when it counted at the end. If he is going to be double teamed he needs to give up the ball and not put in on the floor. This is not complicated. His turnovers are a serious problem, especailly in a ratio to his assists. He is a very good passer, and even plays a point center at times. He gets very myopic at the end of games and tries to do too much. It is boring to watch him turn it over in the last 5 minutes repeatedly.

WCS sitting is a mystery. The one defensive bright spot on the team is not utilized. Karl likes pace. Is there a faster big man in the NBA? I don't get it.

Ryan Anderson was absolutely a pain in the butt. He is a quick big man that gives the Kings fits. He out hutstled people all night.

Karl's coaching style is not working. It may be time for a change after all.
Your first two paragraphs I agree with.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Neither he nor I are defaulting to trading him. But when are you folks going to quit the "one thing that is NOT wrong"? Such a position is not only not useful it s counter-productive. When we can start dealing with this teams real problems is when some real progress can be made.
About the time that a HOF player quits putting up 40-16 nights.

People don't watch enough NBA to appreciate how truly rare a bird this is.

About the time that a HOF player quits putting up 40-16 nights.

People don't watch enough NBA to appreciate how truly rare a bird this is.

I don't want 40-16 I want a few more wins. Will it help to watch a few more NBA games. Don't think so. We obviously need something more than 40-16 a game, and something besides better defense although that would sure help. I simply think we should work on all our problems not just Karl, defense, Cuz, roster, etc. All of them and remain open minded.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Collison in crunch time equals poop
Karl playing WCS 6 minutes equals poop
The quick halftime interview with a Kings assistant coach and they always say the same thing about increasing pace equals poop
Karl finishing out this season equals poop
The 3 guard lineup equals poop
Poop is a good start to the description. 5 short sentences is all I needed to describe the game and the state of the team. I can understand WCS might get burned by AD but weren't they on the same college team for one year? Maybe not. **** Karl.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Essentially.

Another failed remake of the roster just means Cousins is two years older and if he decides at that point to force his way out the Kings lose some of their leverage in a trade deal.

But I'd much rather see a competitive team built around him and the Kings make the playoffs next season. I guess after all these years I just don't see that happening.
Cousins seems to be wedded to Sacramento. I cannot say we have made a serious rebuild attempt around Cousins yet. This year was as close as it got. Still, year in year out, the coaches have been inadequate or a major misfit. Even Malone, was green and needed a few years experience. Get a less pacy kind of coach who likes defense and add him to this team and I would say this is the first serious attempt at a rebuild. Of course we can tweak this and that also.

Collison in crunch time equals poop
Karl playing WCS 6 minutes equals poop
The quick halftime interview with a Kings assistant coach and they always say the same thing about increasing pace equals poop
Karl finishing out this season equals poop
The 3 guard lineup equals poop
The Sacramento Kings: Pooping is our business..... and business is REAL GOOD!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I could barely stand to watch the second half. I didn't watch the post-game, but saw enough on the news to know that Bobby Jackson is right and George Karl is a senile old fool who needs to be put in a home.

I came here today and wasn't at all surprised to see there wasn't even a game thread for last night's game. I can't recall the last time that happened.

Fans are fed up. They're being asked to put out tons of money ahead of time for the final game at STA and for next season while the current product has become for all intents and purposes unwatchable. I feel very sorry for Boogie and I'm truly amazed he hasn't just given up.

It's not worth my time, effort or sanity to watch the games any longer. I already gave up my tickets for April 9, and I'm pretty sure my tickets for opening night at G1C are not going to happen, either.

I cannot do a lot to change what happens with this team but I can AND AM refusing to spend any more money until they make the product worth watching.

One more thing - as far as trying to figure out what's wrong, I'm done. I don't care what's wrong. All I care about is that it's going to need to be FIXED before I return to being an active engaged fan. I have better things to do. I could be outside, for example, waiting for big globs of snow to fall onto my head out of the trees. It feels about the same as watching a Kings game...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I could barely stand to watch the second half. I didn't watch the post-game, but saw enough on the news to know that Bobby Jackson is right and George Karl is a senile old fool who needs to be put in a home.

I came here today and wasn't at all surprised to see there wasn't even a game thread for last night's game. I can't recall the last time that happened.

Fans are fed up. They're being asked to put out tons of money ahead of time for the final game at STA and for next season while the current product has become for all intents and purposes unwatchable. I feel very sorry for Boogie and I'm truly amazed he hasn't just given up.

It's not worth my time, effort or sanity to watch the games any longer. I already gave up my tickets for April 9, and I'm pretty sure my tickets for opening night at G1C are not going to happen, either.

I cannot do a lot to change what happens with this team but I can AND AM refusing to spend any more money until they make the product worth watching.

One more thing - as far as trying to figure out what's wrong, I'm done. I don't care what's wrong. All I care about is that it's going to need to be FIXED before I return to being an active engaged fan. I have better things to do. I could be outside, for example, waiting for big globs of snow to fall onto my head out of the trees. It feels about the same as watching a Kings game...
Love the last paragraph.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm taking a break for a while too. Maybe the rest of the season. What's the point in watching these games. I've spent way too many years watching a Kings team that had no shot of making the playoffs and where the only real question was how many lottery balls they'd end up with.

Oh, and just as a side note, there was a game thread for last night:
http://kingsfans.com/threads/kings-pelicans-7-mar-2016-20-00-et-17-00-pt.64762/

though it is telling that it didn't get started until 10 minutes or so after the game tipped off.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't know that resigning Rondo helps the Kings get where they need to be. And I'm not sure he'd be a lock to re-sign even if the Kings want him. Carmelo is now publicly lobbying for the guy and I think there will be other interested teams that will drive up the price. I'm not convinced that Rondo is a clearly better option than starting Collison (under a different system of course) and I'm pretty certain Rondo's not better to the degree that it's better to re-sign him than it is to take the $16 -$18 million a year he'll likely ask for and improve some other aspect of the team.

Of course it's hard to say without knowing who the next coach is. But personally I'd strongly consider letting Rondo walk, especially if his price gets driven up. I'd certainly explore trading Rudy, would definitely trade Ben and would consider dealing Koufos, especially if Cole Aldrich opts out and can be had for cheaper. I wouldn't mind exploring what it would take to sign Ryan Anderson but I fear the price tag would get ridiculous quickly. In the draft I'd look at SG options and also at dealing the pick for a role player. In a trade down scenario I'd love to grab Levert. I would hope for a bounce back year for Belinelli as he's not going to net much in trade after this season.

Still, a team of

Collison
new SG
Casspi
WCS
Cousins

With a rebuilt bench with Anderson as the sixth man appeals to me more than rolling out this same squad next season at a much higher price tag. Focus on bringing in role players that move the ball and who can defend.

Karl has done an absolutely awful job this year, but I don't know that a good coach does better by leaps and bounds with the same roster.
Everything you're saying here makes sense... but there's a part of me that can't help asking "what's the point?"

And that's not directed at you in any way. I always like reading your opinions, it's just that it all feels so uncomfortably familiar. Normally I would say something like "Let's not get too attached to the idea of drafting a SG. Clearly that's our biggest need, but that shouldn't cause us to overlook superior talent at the other 4 positions if it's on the board". And then I'd probably question whether Ryan Anderson is the right fit for us considering our problems are 90-100% defense this season and he's not an impact player on that end of the floor. And then I'd probably bring up 4 or 5 young players on other rosters who are mostly riding the bench but could be valuable defensive roleplayers for us. They're probably going to be great athletes who can't really shoot and I'm going to say that doesn't matter because we have Cousins and we can piece together enough offense around him from the remaining role-players if the defense is on point. I might even try to think up a couple trades that could get us those players.

But it all just feels like going through the motions. Like I'm Sisyphus and this team is my boulder. Or I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and no matter what happens I wake up tomorrow listening to Sonny and Cher. I'm out of new ideas. We took a pretty good shot this year and got nowhere. I think it's time to lower my expectations to zero and wait to be pleasantly surprised. I'm already there with the Oakland A's and that tends to works out better

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything you're saying here makes sense... but there's a part of me that can't help asking "what's the point?"

And that's not directed at you in any way. I always like reading your opinions, it's just that it all feels so uncomfortably familiar. Normally I would say something like "Let's not get too attached to the idea of drafting a SG. Clearly that's our biggest need, but that shouldn't cause us to overlook superior talent at the other 4 positions if it's on the board". And then I'd probably question whether Ryan Anderson is the right fit for us considering our problems are 90-100% defense this season and he's not an impact player on that end of the floor. And then I'd probably bring up 4 or 5 young players on other rosters who are mostly riding the bench but could be valuable defensive roleplayers for us. They're probably going to be great athletes who can't really shoot and I'm going to say that doesn't matter because we have Cousins and we can piece together enough offense around him from the remaining role-players if the defense is on point. I might even try to think up a couple trades that could get us those players.

But it all just feels like going through the motions. Like I'm Sisyphus and this team is my boulder. Or I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and no matter what happens I wake up tomorrow listening to Sonny and Cher. I'm out of new ideas. We took a pretty good shot this year and got nowhere. I think it's time to lower my expectations to zero and wait to be pleasantly surprised. I'm already there with the Oakland A's and that tends to works out better
It's frustrating, that's for sure. These last two years have been especially painful.

Last year it was because we didn't expect the team to do anything and then after a first game loss against the eventual champions the Kings strung together five in a row against tough competition and we all were surprised to see that there might be something to this team. Then Boogie's viral meningitis and Malone's firing tailspun it into just another disappointing Kings season.

This year it was frustrating because we DID expect the team to do something only to see Portland return one starter and still make the playoffs, Dallas spurned by DJ, scrambling to grab Deron Williams and a few fill in bigs off the scrap heap to play with old man Dirk and make the playoffs. The Rockets essentially carried by Harden, likely making the playoffs. All while the Kings lose like it's any other season.

I just want to have something worth rooting for. And right now I don't. So I'm not going to watch the games.