[Grades] Grades v. Pelicans 3/7/2016

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Well that's the one that begins to drive in the dagger.

When you can't play any defense and are being coached by a washed up old has been,no lead is safe.

But probably let's trade the guy who went for 40-16, because that will fix what ails us.

Boxscore

Stats: 41min 18pts (7-13, 1-4, 3-4) 10reb 2ast 2stl 0blk 4TO
Summary:for a half he looked like the real Rudy on offense, and added in some good D on Davis. Then he disappeared again.

Gay ( ) --

Stats: 20min 2pts (1-2, 0-1, 0-0) 8reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: scrapped hard for boards but way to small to stop Davis, and it hurt us in the end

Acy ( ) --

Stats: 41min 40pts (16-29, 0-3, 8-9) 16reb 4ast 4stl 1blk 5TO
Summary:played an awesome first half dominating all comers, including A.D. Still put up 2nd half numbers, but tired and help was scarce.

Cousins ( ) --

Stats: 13min 2pts (0-1, 0-0, 2-2) 0reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary:what are you going to say? Wasn't even playing defense this time.

McLemore ( ) --

Stats: 39min 18pts (7-13, 3-7, 1-2) 1reb 10ast 2stl 0blk 5TO
Summary:some key shot hits, up and down as a passer with recklessness as usual, but defense hurt us

Rondo ( ) --

Bench

Stats: 35min 5pts (2-10, 0-3, 1-1) 2reb 6ast 1stl 0blk 6TO
Summary:so many minutes out there in mini-backcourts, and yet bad all night, took dumb shots, threw or dropped ball all over gum

Collison( ) --

Stats: 6min 0pt (0-2, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:barely got a chance to play, when did, was wildly ineffective

Cauley-Stein ( ) --

Stats: 18min 15pts (4-6, 1-3, 6-7) 7reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary:still shooting threes about as well as I do since the break, but better offensive game this time, not so on disorganized D

Casspi ( ) --

Stats: 7min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:everytime Cuz left for Koufos it was obscene how fast the lead disappeared. Complete failure to hold down fort.

Koufos ( ) --

Stats: 21min 12pts (4-6, 2-4, 2-2) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:bailed us out in the early 4th when we had already given the lead away with a burst, but forgotten about late as an option

Belinelli ( ) --

placeholder...

Last edited:
40-16? Pshh. A real leader would have gotten 44-16. Trade the bum. The two shots he missed during his 40+ mins definitely cost us the game. :rolleyes:

K

KingMilz

There's a couple players on this team that consistantly choke in the final 5 minutes of the game it's been a season long theme. To me it's just as much when you get your points not how many you get.

Pelicans despite being ravaged by injury are only 1 game back from us.........

I'm sure many of us could copy-paste our comments from games in November.... December... January... February, and they would be just as applicable to this game.

That's horrifically pathetic.

Here - I'll post my comment from 1/30/16, vs the Grizzlies:
Man, (Collison) is a choke-job waiting to happen whenever the game gets tight.
Someone should put together a "highlights" of his choke-jobs this season - it'd be quite the spectacular reel of dropped passes, lost dribbles, and wide-open airballs.

115 points. You guys are telling me that this roster is not capable of holding teams to less than 109.3 points per game (league worst BTW)? That this particular set of players has no chance at being better defensively than that? That no matter who comes in next that all of these guys are so helpless defensively that this team as currently constructed couldn't hope to hold any teams in the NBA to under 109.3 points in a game (League Worst!!!)

Pace pace pace. The coaching doesn't value defense so the team doesn't play any. They lose again because they don't play defense. They could bring in Tony Allen and Kawhi Leonard tomorrow and they would probably turn into terrible defenders here too. Actually Karl would probably bench Allen for his lack of offense and sit Leonard at the end of the bench to avoid a violent allergic reaction to defense.

Bricklayer

I don't want to see Cousins traded.

But I am also very far from convinced that this roster will amount to anything, even with the right coach.

And if I'm right about that then how many times can you remake the roster around Boogie?
As many as he will tolerate.

Seriously. I just don't get constantly defaulting to trading the one thing that's NOT wrong.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

115 points. You guys are telling me that this roster is not capable of holding teams to less than 109.3 points per game (league worst BTW)? That this particular set of players has no chance at being better defensively than that? That no matter who comes in next that all of these guys are so helpless defensively that this team as currently constructed couldn't hope to hold any teams in the NBA to under 109.3 points in a game (League Worst!!!)

Pace pace pace. The coaching doesn't value defense so the team doesn't play any. They lose again because they don't play defense. They could bring in Tony Allen and Kawhi Leonard tomorrow and they would probably turn into terrible defenders here too. Actually Karl would probably bench Allen for his lack of offense and sit Leonard at the end of the bench to avoid a violent allergic reaction to defense.
Yep.

want to know what's wrong with the Kings, its nearly 100% DEFENSE.

No team scoring as many points as we do should ever have a record so bad.. We break the 110 point barrier routinely, and yet no lead is safe, no stop is made. It has always been and continues to be the defense. Really a franchise long issue for three decades. The Sacramento Kings have been one of the league's crap franchises. and its largely been because almost every single voice or person around it is a low grade basketball moron and looks offense first. Generation after generation. All they ever want to look at or talk about. Offense offense offense. To which I say lottery, lottery, and lottery. And deservedly so. Were I not originally from Sacramento, my contempt would truly be dripping.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I'm starting to think that 90% of Karl's coaching decisions are made out of spite.
You say that in jest, but I almost would not put it beyond him on the WCS front. The old man, almost certainly knowing he's being forced out, receiving all kinds of pressure to play the kid, play the kid, and so does the stubborn old man thing and virtually refuses to do so.

On the other hand, Willie's impact has been terrible the last week, but I think the egg to that chicken is Karl's decision to pull the rug out from under him.

Defensive schemes are largely the issue. I called it just before Cunningham hit the 3 to give the Pels the lead late in the game. As soon as the play started I knew were were doomed because we inexplicably had DeMarcus in the paint, but responsible for the corner 3. Nobody was even guarding Cunningham, who then swung to the opposite corner where -- guess what -- nobody was guarding him again. Meanwhile Rudy Gay was checking Ryan Anderson in the high post while DeMarcus was 20+ fee away from Cunningham in the corner.

It's no shock that this team can't defend. Their coach can't get them in proper position even after a timeout and on an inbound play.

Bricklayer

Defensive schemes are largely the issue. I called it just before Cunningham hit the 3 to give the Pels the lead late in the game. As soon as the play started I knew were were doomed because we inexplicably had DeMarcus in the paint, but responsible for the corner 3. Nobody was even guarding Cunningham, who then swung to the opposite corner where -- guess what -- nobody was guarding him again. Meanwhile Rudy Gay was checking Ryan Anderson in the high post while DeMarcus was 20+ fee away from Cunningham in the corner.

It's no shock that this team can't defend. Their coach can't get them in proper position even after a timeout and on an inbound play.

Let me just copy this over from the other thread where I first posted it, since it really is much more of a grades thread item:

Cousins was out there as our only rim protector since Karl wasn't going to play WCS.

There were TWO coaching ****ups on one play. Gee shocker. 1) no WCS on Davis of course, so no length on strong side, hence only guy with real chance to challenge a shot is Cousins. 2) instead of having Cousins guard Davis on the strong side, you hide him? all the way over on a corner 3pt shooter.

When Rondo gets beat, those two decisions mean you have no size involved on that side of the court, and because you chose to put your only size on a 3pt shooter, when he comes to help, which only he can do, its an open three. If he doesn't come, its an easy tying layup.

Karl could have avoided that in two ways, either 1) by playing WCS on Davis, so that he would have been in Acy's spot to blot out Cole's drive, and hence Cousins does not have to come. or 2) by having Cousins guard Davis so he is there instead of Acy, and Acy guarding Cunningham does not have to come.

Karl failed to do either. Rondo failed to keep his man in front of him. We lose.

For all the blatant ineptitude and futility on defense, I'd like to mention that the offense is routinely embarrassing in the last minutes of games, as well.
Just because they score a lot, doesn't mean their offense is good.

When the games get really competitive, in the 4th quarters of close games, this offense has been shown to fall apart.
I won't begin to act like I know what's wrong with the offense (X's and O's) because it baffles me.
It seems to be almost random, based on whatever Rondo and Cousins read/react, sprinkled in with the occasional Rudy isolation play or screen(s) for Marco.

Really, the Kings offense looks like streetball more often than not.
Like a few guys drew up some plays working at the Y together.

How can the Kings not figure out how to capitalize on double and triple teams on Cousins?
How is that possible?
The guy he kicks it out to doesn't even shoot the open 3 half the time! (Fun question - how open do our players have to be to shoot the ball?)

And after tonight, I'm referring to Darren Collison officially as Darren Choke-lison.
He has single-handedly cost the Kings no less than 4 games this season already with mistakes so bad, you wouldn't expect to see them from decent high school players.

Last edited:
This IS unacceptable. I'm glad I did not see the game. I found out they lost by accident so I did not have to waste time on it. How is it we brought in a defensive consultant and the defense seemed to improve for three games but now that is over? But even though our defense improved we still lost two out of those three? Something is rotten in Sacramento or we are tanking. I have no idea what the problem is but I'm ready for a reboot.

For all the blatant ineptitude and futility on defense, I'd like to mention that the offense is routinely embarrassing in the last minutes of games, as well.
Just because they score a lot, doesn't mean their offense is good.

When the games get really competitive, in the 4th quarters of close games, this offense has been shown to fall apart.
I completely agree. As bad as the defensive schemes and lapses are, they often lose games because they have offensive funks when they can't score and/or turn the ball over incessantly. The Clippers game comes to mind when they surrendered something like a 20-0 run that took them out of the game. With as bad as the defense is, they simply cannot afford scoring droughts of any kind.

But, to your point, the offense looks even worse during crunch time. How many times have we seen them not be able to even get a shot up on the final possession of the game a la tonight? And how many shots at the rim do they always seem to miss??

In many ways this game shows everything that is right and wrong with the Kings. They played well enough to jump out to a 17 point lead. Then they started coasting. Fitness may be an issue with this team because they seem to fade at the end so often. The defensive problems are obvious, especially transition, layups, and the 3 pt line. The Cunningham play was really upsetting.

The Kings did not adjust on offense. Cousins played an impressive game except when it counted at the end. If he is going to be double teamed he needs to give up the ball and not put in on the floor. This is not complicated. His turnovers are a serious problem, especailly in a ratio to his assists. He is a very good passer, and even plays a point center at times. He gets very myopic at the end of games and tries to do too much. It is boring to watch him turn it over in the last 5 minutes repeatedly.

WCS sitting is a mystery. The one defensive bright spot on the team is not utilized. Karl likes pace. Is there a faster big man in the NBA? I don't get it.

Ryan Anderson was absolutely a pain in the butt. He is a quick big man that gives the Kings fits. He out hutstled people all night.

Karl's coaching style is not working. It may be time for a change after all.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Collison in crunch time equals poop
Karl playing WCS 6 minutes equals poop
The quick halftime interview with a Kings assistant coach and they always say the same thing about increasing pace equals poop
Karl finishing out this season equals poop
The 3 guard lineup equals poop

Then they started coasting.
Gary Gerould was beside himself on the radio over the coasting. This game should not have HAD a "crunch time". But there is such a deep-seated immaturity about this bunch.

I really don't mind if Vlade razes the whole thing to the ground next year. This is an unlovable bunch - it is hard to stay fired up and passionate when they aren't. The talent level is so far and away the best it has been in years, but the character equals poop.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't want to see Cousins traded.

But I am also very far from convinced that this roster will amount to anything, even with the right coach.

And if I'm right about that then how many times can you remake the roster around Boogie?
Until he requests a trade or until the team decides to move on.

Said it before. When Kings get a good lead, Karl goes small and all offense. It's no surprise that the opposition puts in their best players and turns up the defensive intensity. As a result, we find it more difficult to score AND defend.

If Karl actually cared, he wouldn't keep making this same mistake. If you have a lead and want to shut the door, put your starting 5 back in. If you don't think your starting 5 are your best players, well that's another issue that should have been addressed awhile back.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Defense starts with effort and desire to play it. The Kings play at the fastest pace, do you really think they have enough energy to consistently expend a defensive effort too? You have to sacrifice one for another, if you play slower, you therefore have more energy and stamina to put effort into defense. When all you do is run up and down the court without value of the basketball and chuck up ill advised shots, then that tells me all I need to know. Coaching philosophies/schemes are only half the battle here, you need players to buy in and/or acquire a player(s) that are willing to play defense over offense full time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Let me just copy this over from the other thread where I first posted it, since it really is much more of a grades thread item:

Cousins was out there as our only rim protector since Karl wasn't going to play WCS.

There were TWO coaching ****ups on one play. Gee shocker. 1) no WCS on Davis of course, so no length on strong side, hence only guy with real chance to challenge a shot is Cousins. 2) instead of having Cousins guard Davis on the strong side, you hide him? all the way over on a corner 3pt shooter.

When Rondo gets beat, those two decisions mean you have no size involved on that side of the court, and because you chose to put your only size on a 3pt shooter, when he comes to help, which only he can do, its an open three. If he doesn't come, its an easy tying layup.

Karl could have avoided that in two ways, either 1) by playing WCS on Davis, so that he would have been in Acy's spot to blot out Cole's drive, and hence Cousins does not have to come. or 2) by having Cousins guard Davis so he is there instead of Acy, and Acy guarding Cunningham does not have to come.

Karl failed to do either. Rondo failed to keep his man in front of him. We lose.

Doesn't defense generally start with stopping the guard from dribble penetration? hmm....good ol' Rondo to the rescue.

As many as he will tolerate.

Seriously. I just don't get constantly defaulting to trading the one thing that's NOT wrong.
Boogie is passing the ball much better in the half court....I will give him that. I feel much more comfortable when he has the ball on the perimeter he's not going to wrap the ball in a figurative bow and hand it to the opponent.

Its a matter of reading the defense and driving and kicking to the safety valve on the weak side when the play is not there. This is definite growth to his game that is a function of repetition and improved patience.

So as disastrous and epic fail as Karl's tenure was (yes I have already fired him in my mind :)) Karl did turn Boogie into a better player by expanding his game.

Now if we can only address that pesky little post game of his which was more miss than hit in crunch time v Pelicans and suboptimal conditioning and apathetic perimeter defense and MIA leadership we might be on to something.....

I don't want to see Boogie traded...what I do want to see is a strong personality take over as coach...Mark Jackson said it succinctly in recent broadcast of Kings game..."you have to challenge greatness"

In Boogie's mind he is great because he can score on anybody...but he's not getting the most out of his ability...in terms of intangibles and defensive focus and be an inspiring leader. He many never be this guy but if there is a chance for it to happen we need a coach who can bring it out of him....

That new coach has to have very very very strong personality but also garner respect. Karl has a strong personality but garners no (limited) respect because frankly he's a feeble old man with voice that quit on him.

The new coach has to be like a Jeff Van Gundy :D or Mark Jackson :eek: who can manage challenging personalities and hold them accountable for defensive lapses and sleepy play but ultimately respect one and another towards common objective.

If we hire a cupcake like Scott Brooks....its going to be a joke or more of the same BS. Basically we need to hire another version of the coach we fired two years ago....except he won't play losers like Ramon Sessions and JT.

Bricklayer

Doesn't defense generally start with stopping the guard from dribble penetration? hmm....good ol' Rondo to the rescue.
Well that obviously has been a disaster all year -- our defense is in a constant state of being broken down.

But it kind of underscores the WCS thing that I'm quite sure is accelerating/ensuring Karl's demise. If your guards can;t stay in front of anybody, what's your next hope? Well it would be employing long shotblockers back behind them to protect the rim since its under constant threat. On that particular play not only did we not employ our longest/shotblockiest, but we even took the only length we did have on the court out of the play and put him in a position so the only way he could help was to leave a three point shooter open. That just makes absolutely no sense at all. It was like the exact opposite of how we should have been set up. And sure, if Rondo stays in front of his guy the issue is not there, but as a guy who has coached Rondo all year you pretty much have to anticipate he may not and prepare for it.

I'm confused as to why our guards just let everyone right by. Like they don't even put up resistance. It's almost like the system is designed to let the guard drive by them without any effort.

This discussion begs the question- what kind of players do you need to be successful with Cousins? Players than can move without the ball and make spot up jump shots. People that can make backcuts to the hoop. Rondo is adept at getting Cousins the ball. All of his supporting cast need to be average + and above average defenders.

Cousins is a good passer when he feels like it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know if I agree that there's a particular kind of player that you "need" to be successful with Cousins. But, I look at it this way: if you can build a playoff team around Andre Drummond, than you can build one around DeMarcus Cousins.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't even know what to think after a game like that one. Injury decimated New Orleans is a team we should beat in December. But in the final stretch with a playoff spot on the line? That's a "show us who you are" game and to come out and give an effort like that means we don't even know how to win. And if that's the case, why bother with renovations when the whole damn building is falling apart? I was upset with every single player yesterday. True some of them barely played but it was a quality of basketball that would have me concerned in pre-season and we're in a place now where every game is must win. It's like they've just given up out of habit. New Orleans was terrible right from the opening tip, and we were even worse. What's worse than terrible?

This is why we should have fired George Karl a month ago. It was obvious by then he was never going to get this team to the playoffs. He has no clue. We are one of the most embarrassing defensive teams in recent memory. In every single one of his interviews, he doesn't even have a clue! He still thinks tweaking the offense and executing better will produce wins. This is beyond stubborn. It's flat out clueless. At least if we fired him in early February we'd have 30 games without him to decide if anything here is worth bringing back next year. Now we don't even know that.

Should we re-sign Rondo? I wanted him here more than anyone and now I'm not sure if we should bring him back. I was the only one against extending Rudy Gay - citing his career as a stat stuffing underachiever. But he convinced me he was for real last year to the point where I was defending him early this season while he struggled. Maybe I was right the first time. Maybe Ben is a washout. All the talent in the world means nothing if you're afraid of the basketball. I want to believe George Karl is the problem. That made a lot of sense 3 months ago. But we're already in a hole with our draft obligations. Do we really want to double down on this roster and raise the stakes to $90 million hoping a new coach will get them to play like they care? I'm not happy about it, but that's where I'm at with this team right now.