[Grades] Grades vs. Pelicans, 10/29/21

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
B6B677D2-E9DA-468F-B847-A418121332F2.jpeg
Wasn't exactly pretty but a win is a win!

Richaun Holmes (B-) - 32 minutes, 21 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 blocks, 0 steals, 1 turnovers
In terms of matchups against Jonas, at least Richaun got his own this time around. Holmes had an insanely efficient offensive night, dropping 21 points on just eight shot attempts. Unfortunately, Holmes got destroyed on the glass for most of the game, winding up with a paltry 6 rebounds in 32 minutes. Still, considering the issues he's had with Valanciunas in the past, this was an improvement.

Maurice Harkless (C) - 24 minutes, 0 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 block, 0 steals, 0 turnovers
Another ho-hum zero point performance from Moe. While I appreciate him not taking any bad shots, you'd hope that you'd get more than nothing from your starting small forward, regardless of his contributions on defense and role player-ness. That said, he wasn't unplayable and did contribute to strong defensive play throughout the night.

Harrison Barnes (B) - 37 minutes, 18 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 turnovers
Only eighteen points tonight for Barnes (his first time under 20 this season) but another strong game from the Kings' bedrock solid forward. One of the main questions about permanently moving Barnes to the 4 was whether he could rebound well enough for the position, something he has answered to the tune of double-digit boards thus far in the season. Was almost unselfish to a fault but, on a night where the Pelicans seemingly were seeing a team run pick and rolls for the first time in their lives, that didn't kill us.

Tyrese Haliburton (B+) - 31 minutes, 17 points, 2 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 blocks, 0 steals, 2 turnovers
The best game of Tyrese's young season ends in a near double-double. Haliburton is still continuing to refuse to take outside shots and passing up catch-and-shoot opportunities at an alarming rate but tonight his mastery of the pick and roll two-man game shone through above all else. Had a fairly strong defensive game as well, though it was hard to tell because the Pelicans seemed to not be running much of an offense in general.

De'Aaron Fox (C+) - 37 minutes, 23 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 0 block, 0 steals, 4 turnovers
The stats may not necessarily bear this out and the man had a couple of bad possessions to close the game out but I thought Fox looked much better in this game than in every game after the Blazers game. Played within himself and the offense. His outside shot isn't falling right now and he's forcing more threes than he should probably take as a result but his mid-range stuff seemed to be falling tonight. This season, Luke is using Fox offball as a two-guard more than as a main facilitator point guard and it feels as though it's thrown the guard for a loop. Still, if a guy's 'bad' game is still a 20-5-5 night, you're not in terrible shape.

---
Buddy Hield (B) - 30 minutes, 20 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 blocks, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
The Buddy Hield Sixth Man of the Year campaign rolls on, with another 20 point night in the book. It should be noted that Buddy's made a conceited effort on the defensive end this season, though he still remains one of the worst off-ball defenders I have ever seen. Also the Pelicans' announcers were drooling over him sooooooo trade?

Alex Len (B) - 16 minutes, 4 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 blocks, 0 steals, 3 turnovers
Len appears to have completely supplanted Tristan Thompson as our backup big and it is working big time. The man is big and knows how to use his considerable size to free up space for his teammates both on offense and on defense. Also provides a strong interior presence on defense in drop that this team has been lacking for... ten years or so? Had some mess turnovers and got into foul trouble battling with Jonas but 4/4/2 from your backup big in 16 minutes is not going to ruin your night.

Davion Mitchell (C+) - 29 minutes, 8 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 blocks, 2 steals, 1 turnovers
Just another solid night by Off-Night. Got got HARD by a Graham pump fake to end the first quarter but aside from that was mostly himself on defense. Teams are already starting to gameplan for Davion's tight man defense and setting screen after screen to get him switched off of his man. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts as the season grinds on. On offense. Davion had a couple of nifty moves showcasing his quickness but is still having issues with his shot. It'll fall eventually but until then I have no issue with him playing the role that he is.

Terence Davis (inc.) - 4 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 0 turnovers
Came in in the second quarter. Looked bad. Never came in again.

Last edited:
Well, at this rate the Mavs are gonna be pretty ticked come Sunday. Down 15 early in the 3rd to Denver. 5-14 from Luka.

Good news is that their 3-1 record notwithstanding, the Kings can definitely beat that team. (Obv, they can lose to them too.)

4-2 would be awfully nice going into the rematch w/Utah.

-Barnes can't only be getting 9 shots in games anymore. It was fine when he was playing a more support role, but he's got to be assertive while Fox is working his way back, Mitchell gets comfortable and they find someone to fill the the scoring void we thought we'd get from T. Davis.

-This was the real breakout Hali game for this season. After his dud opening night, he's gotten steadily better every game and is looking like his old self with improved command of his playmaking chops. Him being more aggressive with his shot just opens up the rest of his game.

-Another awesome game from Buddy. Selective with his shot and was super effective with 20 pts on 11 shots. Him and Barnes are hard-carrying the scoring to start the year.

-Another awesome game from Holmes. Easily been the 2nd best player on the team behind Barnes and the offense just doesn't function the same without his roll gravity.

-Davion continues to be so impressive. He's probably been a net-negative on offense to this point, but his defense has made him one of the most important players to the team and a big reason we're 3-2. The Kings historically have gotten torched when they go to their 2nd unit, particularly the guard play. And it felt like we get stronger going to the bench on defense when Davion and Len come in especially.

-Len is just a good player. He has his limitations of course, but he's excellent as a rim protector and has improved his ability to hedge the perimeter. We're getting 48 quality C minutes a night with him and Holmes.

-Fox: better, but still not what we need. Maybe it is time to abandon the 3-ball a bit and try to regain his rim domination from a year ago. Harden got all his FTA back tonight, so maybe refs will start calling things again.

-Glad TD only got 5 minutes. Not giving up on him, but I think he needs a breather and he's been a massive negative for virtually all his minutes on the floor this season. He better pick it up quick because I think he's going to have a quick hook with his spot with King/Ramsey waiting in the wings after a strong summer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"WTF moment" goes to Richaun Holmes crashing the defensive rebound, getting called for the over the back foul, and tipping the ball in for N.O.
There were like three different plays in the last couple of minutes that were far more worthy of being challenged than Harrison Barnes leveling Devonte Graham like a bowling pin early in the third quarter.

The offense would be a whole lot better with these 2 simple fixes:
1) Dear Fox, you're allowed to pass out of the paint. When 3 guys collapse on you in the paint it probably means someone is open at the 3 point line. OR you could keep trying to draw fouls to no avail but what do I know.
2) Dear Haliburton, on the rare instance that someone actually kicks it out to you, SHOOT THE FRIKIN 3

I'll take the win though.

A lot of uninspiring moments where the Pelicans took a lot of momentum changes.

But oddly enough, it never felt like they were in any danger of losing. Like you know those games in years past where the Kings are going neck-to-neck with playoff teams, but the playoff team has it under control and you just know they're not losing. It felt like that.

I like the record but the way they're playing doesn't exactly inspire confidence that anything has really improved. Guess we'll find out in the next couple weeks.
I agree we don't appear to be clicking yet and there are legitimate concerns with the roster but I also don't get the vibe this team goes on two 9 game losing streaks like last year's squad. If we can at least avoid disasters like that we should be in the mix. Buddy Barnes and Holmes are all doing well in their roles. Fox should at least return to his normal percentages and Haliburton has been looking better lately. Mitchell still needs to carve out a consistent role.

Last edited:
The offense would be a whole lot better with these 2 simple fixes:
1) Dear Fox, you're allowed to pass out of the paint. When 3 guys collapse on you in the paint it probably means someone is open at the 3 point line. OR you could keep trying to draw fouls to no avail but what do I know.
2) Dear Haliburton, on the rare instance that someone actually kicks it out to you, SHOOT THE FRIKIN 3

I'll take the win though.
Or just pass to holmes for his patented push shot. It’s always there when he draws 2-3 guys. Like 90% of the time it’s an automatic assist

Entity

Hall of Famer
I’m wondering if fox will ever become any kind of outside threat. Buddy and Barnes are keeping us a float. Davis, Hali and fox have to come around at some point or else we can’t even think of trading buddy. At this point buddy is the least expendable of our guards