[Grades] Grades v. Mavericks 3/3/2016

Will the defense hold?

• Right until Thibs leaves for San Francisco.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • As long as we stay in the hunt

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Spurs will knock it right out of us

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Never

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Forever and ever and ever

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whether your view is that the Kings' defense won them the game or the Mavericks' terrible outside shooting won them the game or anything in between the biggest takeaway is that the Kings won the game. A game in Dallas where they last won in 2003.

It's frustrating being a Kings fan and it has been for a very long time but I think if you get to the point where you're upset when they lose and you're upset when they win then watching Kings games is no longer providing the entertainment and distraction that it should.
The only thing that would make it all bearable at that point would be going to an online forum and making sure that as many other people as possible saw all of the same flaws. Luckily, we're here to provide that service.

We hadn't won in Dallas since 2003. I bet none of those Dallas teams felt like they didn't deserve the win because the Kings played bad during that time. So they Kings have nothing to apolgize for for getting this win. Whatever Dallas did or didn't do is their problem. Kings did their job on offense and defense and walked away with the W.

Whether your view is that the Kings' defense won them the game or the Mavericks' terrible outside shooting won them the game or anything in between the biggest takeaway is that the Kings won the game. A game in Dallas where they last won in 2003.

It's frustrating being a Kings fan and it has been for a very long time but I think if you get to the point where you're upset when they lose and you're upset when they win then watching Kings games is no longer providing the entertainment and distraction that it should.
I'm not a debbie downer that shows up after every win and craps on the Kings. I get that people can be annoying in that way and that's not my personality type anyway. I'm just realistic about the situation and from reading the game thread, I don't stand alone in my opinion here. I'm glad they beat Dallas but at this point it's not like it's sweet justice for the loss we had against them earlier in the year. If the Kings had a string of 5 or 6 games where they didn't leave 3 point shooters wide open and switch constantly, I might be able to get on board the bandwagon. But I can recognize a fluke win when I see it and this was one of them. Rondo battled hard against Dirk at the end and he won but we all know that Dirk wins that battle 9/10 times and it's a losing strategy to have your PG guard a 7 foot hall of famer. I'm happy they won, I'm just not going to go overboard in my celebration of a meaningless win at the end of a wasted year where we finally accrued some talent on this team, yet got the same results we had when we were running a bunch of scrubs out there in previous years.

The only thing that would make it all bearable at that point would be going to an online forum and making sure that as many other people as possible saw all of the same flaws. Luckily, we're here to provide that service.
It's sports man. There's positives and negatives that go on. As sports fans, we're going to talk about them. You can break it down even further and make everyone here feel stupid for wasting their time watching and talking about a bunch of tall guys who are playing a game and making more in a couple months than most of us will make in a lifetime. How far do you want to take trying to make people feel stupid? We can go all day on this. It's pointless.

When I see positive things on the court, I comment on them. When I see negative things on the court, I comment on them. If you can't handle it, then block me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's sports man. There's positives and negatives that go on. As sports fans, we're going to talk about them. You can break it down even further and make everyone here feel stupid for wasting their time watching and talking about a bunch of tall guys who are playing a game and making more in a couple months than most of us will make in a lifetime. How far do you want to take trying to make people feel stupid? We can go all day on this. It's pointless.
The point is you claim that you're not a "debbie downer," and then turn around in the same post, and talk about how it's not "justice" for the previous loss, and how you can't "get on board," because we didn't manage to do it for five or six games in a row. As if we were all sitting in front of our monitors with baited breath, waiting for your "hot take." You don't want to be overly positive, that's your prerogative; you didn't have to say anything.

When I see positive things on the court, I comment on them. When I see negative things on the court, I comment on them. If you can't handle it, then block me.
"Can't handle it"? Again, it is to laugh. Besides, why should I block you, when I can just mock you?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a debbie downer that shows up after every win and craps on the Kings. I get that people can be annoying in that way and that's not my personality type anyway. I'm just realistic about the situation and from reading the game thread, I don't stand alone in my opinion here. I'm glad they beat Dallas but at this point it's not like it's sweet justice for the loss we had against them earlier in the year. If the Kings had a string of 5 or 6 games where they didn't leave 3 point shooters wide open and switch constantly, I might be able to get on board the bandwagon. But I can recognize a fluke win when I see it and this was one of them. Rondo battled hard against Dirk at the end and he won but we all know that Dirk wins that battle 9/10 times and it's a losing strategy to have your PG guard a 7 foot hall of famer. I'm happy they won, I'm just not going to go overboard in my celebration of a meaningless win at the end of a wasted year where we finally accrued some talent on this team, yet got the same results we had when we were running a bunch of scrubs out there in previous years.
To me last night was about the Mavs poor shooting AND the Kings effort on defense. Outside of the team apparently deciding that nobody needed to guard Chandler Parsons I saw much more effort in terms of perimeter D. Still maddening to watch all the switches but that's the scheme. It might be a terrible scheme but that's what they're going with. So I would agree that the Kings aren't going to become a good defensive team just because of the ease of which Karl's defense gives up mismatches by switching, creates easy lanes to get into the key and which in general is too passive instead of trying to actively take things away from offenses but most of the time I see both a bad scheme AND a lack of effort so seeing improved effort is a good step.

I'm not calling it a wasted year until the Kings are eliminated from the postseason, but if (well, let's say when) that happens I think there has to be significant change to this roster going forward (and almost certainly a new coach) because I'm extremely tired of the playoff drought too.

The point is you claim that you're not a "debbie downer," and then turn around in the same post, and talk about how it's not "justice" for the previous loss, and how you can't "get on board," because we didn't manage to do it for five or six games in a row. As if we were all sitting in front of our monitors with baited breath, waiting for your "hot take." You don't want to be overly positive, that's your prerogative; you didn't have to say anything.

"Can't handle it"? Again, it is to laugh. Besides, why should I block you, when I can just mock you?
I have a posting history here that clearly shows I'm not a debbie downer. I'm like any other poster here. Excited and hopeful that the team will do well at the beginning of the year and then those hopes slowly dwindle down and fade away. By the end of the year there's not much to do other than criticize the team because obviously they haven't given us a good reason to be positive anymore.

Again, I never said anyone was waiting for my "hot take". You sure do make rather broad assumptions about my posts. I know the assumptions are just an immature way of trying to 'get one over on me' but I'm sure most people can see right through the childlike debate tactics. Now I simply sat down and posted my opinion on the game. That's what this place is for, right? Someone else please chime in if I'm wrong here. I don't think anyone is holding their breath, waiting for my analysis. I'm simply just a guy with an opinion and if you don't like my opinion, then state in a mature manner why you don't like it. Trying to mock me for my opinion like this is some school yard argument is childish. You've brought nothing to the discussion other than pointless pictures, videos, false assumptions and troll like replies. At this point I'm going to stop replying to you and start replying to the people who want to actually talk about the game.

To me last night was about the Mavs poor shooting AND the Kings effort on defense. Outside of the team apparently deciding that nobody needed to guard Chandler Parsons I saw much more effort in terms of perimeter D. Still maddening to watch all the switches but that's the scheme. It might be a terrible scheme but that's what they're going with. So I would agree that the Kings aren't going to become a good defensive team just because of the ease of which Karl's defense gives up mismatches by switching, creates easy lanes to get into the key and which in general is too passive instead of trying to actively take things away from offenses but most of the time I see both a bad scheme AND a lack of effort so seeing improved effort is a good step.

I'm not calling it a wasted year until the Kings are eliminated from the postseason, but if (well, let's say when) that happens I think there has to be significant change to this roster going forward (and almost certainly a new coach) because I'm extremely tired of the playoff drought too.
IMO Rondo won us the game with his defense on Dirk at the end there. I just think that if we played that exact same game 10 times, we would lose the majority of them with that strategy. That's why I stated that I thought this win was a fluke win.

I agree with you that the effort has looked better since we heard about Thibs showing up. It's just maddening for me to watch and think that they every player could give 110% all game, every game and still not net positive results in the end because of the scheme they're running. It's like trying to win the 40 yard dash with a parachute on. Many times they'll show the starting lineups and I'll compare our guys to theirs individually and some games we are more talented at 4/5 spots. Yet the game starts and we're getting blown out almost immediately because of what I feel like is bad coaching. I had such high hopes for this team at the beginning of the season and it's been such a disappointment lately to see the same old thing happen here again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I have a posting history here that clearly shows I'm not a debbie downer. I'm like any other poster here. Excited and hopeful that the team will do well at the beginning of the year and then those hopes slowly dwindle down and fade away. By the end of the year there's not much to do other than criticize the team because obviously they haven't given us a good reason to be positive anymore.

Again, I never said anyone was waiting for my "hot take". You sure do make rather broad assumptions about my posts. I know the assumptions are just an immature way of trying to 'get one over on me' but I'm sure most people can see right through the childlike debate tactics. Now I simply sat down and posted my opinion on the game. That's what this place is for, right? Someone else please chime in if I'm wrong here. I don't think anyone is holding their breath, waiting for my analysis. I'm simply just a guy with an opinion and if you don't like my opinion, then state in a mature manner why you don't like it. Trying to mock me for my opinion like this is some school yard argument is childish. You've brought nothing to the discussion other than pointless pictures, videos, false assumptions and troll like replies. At this point I'm going to stop replying to you and start replying to the people who want to actually talk about the game.
I assure you, I've given your posts all the serious consideration and mature response that they've warranted.

I'm always fascinated when people who play the "I'm just posting my opinion" card get bent out of shape when somebody tells them what they think of said opinion.

The defense was improved, yes Dallas missed a ton of open shots. Mixture of both helped us beat a team on the road.

Sometimes all you have to do to win a game is show up, and that's what we did.

The dumb on ball switches have got to stop, Rudy, Rondo, Cuz, and WCS (if he ever plays) have great wingspans and can help and recover, especially against a slow non penetrating team like Dallas, just fine.

Please Vivek just hand Thibs a blank check, some say in personnel, and however many years he wants, do whatever it takes to keep/get him here full time!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The dumb on ball switches have got to stop, Rudy, Rondo, Cuz, and WCS (if he ever plays) have great wingspans and can help and recover, especially against a slow non penetrating team like Dallas, just fine.
Cauley-Stein's minutes being limited continues to be a source of consternation. He's the best defender on the switch we've got. With the way Karl likes to play, you'd think he'd be getting the most minutes of any big not named DeMarcus Cousins.

I'm always fascinated when people who play the "I'm just posting my opinion" card get bent out of shape when somebody tells them what they think of said opinion.
Exactly spot on. It's one of the things that I loathe about social media in general. Many seem to believe that it is their right to state their open and honest opinion on anything and everything, but take offense when the ball comes back over the net, so-to-speak.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The defense was improved, yes Dallas missed a ton of open shots.
Its a funny thing how when you play some defense those two things go hand in hand.

Go watch a Warriors game, or a Spurs game. What you will probably see is the other team have a dozen open shots at least over the course of the game -- its impossible to challenge them all - but almost invariably their opponents miss a significant percentage of them. Why is that? Well you aren't letting them get into any rhythm. When they finally get an open shot its the first one they've seen in a while, they've been off balance and missed their last two or three shots, and they are just out of their comfort zone. They're also casting one eye over their shoulder looking for the defense which is normally there. And in short just by playing defense on the OTHER possessions you are lowering their percentages on the ones where you do not. Offensive players thrive on comfort and rhythm. Take those away and even the bunnies drop in percentage.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a funny thing how when you play some defense those two things go hand in hand.

Go watch a Warriors game, or a Spurs game. What you will probably see is the other team have a dozen open shots at least over the course of the game -- its impossible to challenge them all - but almost invariably their opponents miss a significant percentage of them. Why is that? Well you aren't letting them get into any rhythm. When they finally get an open shot its the first one they've seen in a while, they've been off balance and missed their last three, and the are just out of their comfort zone. They're also casting one eye over their shoulder looking for the defense which is normally there. And in short just by playing defense on the OTHER possessions you are lowering their percentages on the ones where you do not. Offensive playrs thrive on comfort and rhythm. Take those away and even the bunnies drop in percentage.
True, and all the more reason WCS should be getting more minutes. Trill is never going to be a huge shotblocker in terms of numbers simply because unlike most defensive anchors (Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Whiteside) he covers guys on the perimeter a lot more often. But just having that long athletic guy that can come from the weakside and block a shot starts to change opponents perception of an open take to the basket. One chase down block or "he can't get to me before I get the shot off right?" block and guys start getting more apprehensive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm happy they won, I'm just not going to go overboard in my celebration of a meaningless win at the end of a wasted year where we finally accrued some talent on this team, yet got the same results we had when we were running a bunch of scrubs out there in previous years.
And so, if someone else does want to take a moment of happiness from what you consider to be a meaningless win they should stifle themselves?

Different fans view things different ways. For some, being able to just not have to talk about another loss is enough for a moment.

And so, if someone else does want to take a moment of happiness from what you consider to be a meaningless win they should stifle themselves?

Different fans view things different ways. For some, being able to just not have to talk about another loss is enough for a moment.
VF, please show me where specifically I stifled anyone's ability to celebrate the win. All I did was say that I didn't like the defense yesterday, only to have people come out of the woodwork with wild assumptions based on what they think I said instead of what I actually said.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Ben had 3 wide open threes in the 1st that he all missed.. I dont know what it is with him. He was aggressive though which I liked. Had a drive and dunk in the 1st as well. I am in the process of watching the game right now to see how the defense played.

VF, please show me where specifically I stifled anyone's ability to celebrate the win. All I did was say that I didn't like the defense yesterday, only to have people come out of the woodwork with wild assumptions based on what they think I said instead of what I actually said.
You didn't stifle anybodys ability tp celebrate the win. And there is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, which you did in a respectful manner. I disagree with you, but actually your post was one of the reasons I visit this board - to catch other Kings Fans opinions.
After all every discussion starts with a disagreement.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Losing the pick is a good thing it needs to go.
I can't see where losing an asset is ever a good thing. You can say that now, but what if, a couple of years from now, the player we might have drafted ends up being the next Klay Thompson. Yeah, it's a little bit of a crap shoot, but financially, its a small gamble compared to freeagency. To say lose it this year instead of next year, doesn't make sense to me. Worry about next year, well, next year! Right now, for most fans, it's about hope for the future. To not make the playoffs, and lose the pick, would leave me, and I suspect many fans with an empty feeling, especially if we go and spend 11 or 12 mil on Rondo, and then have little or no money to sign anyone else of significance. You can always acquire future draft picks through trades.

The idea that you can't build through the draft is ridiculous. 95% of all the players playing in the NBA were drafted by someone. Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Green and Ezeli were all drafted by the Warriors. When last I looked, they aren't too shabby. I agree that you have to know what your doing, but at the same time, I don't think it's rocket science. As much as we've been critical of McLemore, and rightly so, he hasn't cost the franchise very much financially. Although he may represent a failed experiment to some extent, for the most part our only loss is time spent. For example, one could argue that McLemore has been as good a player, and maybe even a better player overall this year than Belinelli. But Belinelli is going to cost us in one year, what Ben makes in two years financially.

Sadly, the two of them together are costing us around 9 mil this year, and I can't say that it's money well spent. In today's NBA world, 9 mil isn't a lot of money, but it's 9 mil that could have been spent on someone else. Of course draft picks have more relevance when you play them more than 6 minutes a night.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think you make a good point, and it struck a cord with me. When I think about it, the games aren't entertaining to me at all any more. To be honest, I almost dread watching them now. The last thing I want to do is rain on anyone's parade. The win's have come far and few between, so I get wanting to enjoy them when they happen. And I will say that I thought our defense was a little better last night. But if were honest, the Mav's almost stunk the place out last night. Dirk wasn't Dirk. He looked like his legs were gone. He left everything short and looked like he was in slow motion most of the night. The Mav's missed open shot after open shot. Hey, it happens! It happens to us quite regularly. Point is, I don't take too much solace from last nights game. But I did enjoy the win...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you make a good point, and it struck a cord with me. When I think about it, the games aren't entertaining to me at all any more. To be honest, I almost dread watching them now. The last thing I want to do is rain on anyone's parade. The win's have come far and few between, so I get wanting to enjoy them when they happen. And I will say that I thought our defense was a little better last night. But if were honest, the Mav's almost stunk the place out last night. Dirk wasn't Dirk. He looked like his legs were gone. He left everything short and looked like he was in slow motion most of the night. The Mav's missed open shot after open shot. Hey, it happens! It happens to us quite regularly. Point is, I don't take too much solace from last nights game. But I did enjoy the win...
It's good to take a break now and then. We all want the Kings to win but at the end of the day, it's just basketball and when I find myself letting it affect my mood negatively I stop watching for a while.

After game 6 of the WCF I remember being so angry. And after game 7 I was crushed. But I think that was also the time I realized that I can't let the outcome of a game determine my mindset. At least not to that degree. Especially now that I have kids. I remember being grumpy for the rest of the night (and sometimes the next day) after a bad Kings loss, but that's not fair to my family. Or healthy for me. It's why I just stopped watching 49ers games this season when I realized they were going to be awful. Why waste three hours on a Sunday only to end up frustrated?

Life's short. And I believe the Kings will be good again. But until they are, I try to keep things in perspective and stop watching for a bit when I'm not enjoying it.

You didn't stifle anybodys ability tp celebrate the win. And there is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, which you did in a respectful manner. I disagree with you, but actually your post was one of the reasons I visit this board - to catch other Kings Fans opinions.
After all every discussion starts with a disagreement.
Thanks it's one of the reasons why I come here too. Sometimes I may think something about the game but then I come in here and read the analysis from other posters and it clears up the pieces I may have missed or overlooked. One time hrdboiled (sorry if I butchered your name) responded to one of my posts with a bunch of straight up facts that I couldn't even refute. Basically put me in my place and actually made me do a 180* on what I had originally thought. I'll never expect everyone to agree with everything I say but at least respond to me respectfully and don't mock me just because you don't agree with my opinion.