[Grades] Grades v. Mavericks 3/3/2016

Will the defense hold?

• Right until Thibs leaves for San Francisco.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • As long as we stay in the hunt

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Spurs will knock it right out of us

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Never

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Forever and ever and ever

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Events from the last time the Kings beat the Mavs in Mavland:

Boxscore

Stats: 36min 9pts (4-8, 0-1, 1-2) 7reb 1ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
Summary:maybe it was the shoulder, maybe the D, but we didn't get any consistent push from Rudy tonight

Gay ( ) --

Stats: 16min 4pts (2-2, 0-0, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Summary:brought some trademark hustle, but nothing else remarkable

Acy ( ) --

Stats: 36min 22pts (9-17, 0-2, 4-8) 13reb 5ast 1stl 2blk 4TO
Summary:most remarkable aspect of his game tonight would have been constant passes to beat doubles, except few but Rondo converted

Cousins ( ) --

Stats: 23min 10pts (4-11, 2-7, 0-0) 4reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:game started in strange fashion as we ran an all-Ben offense and he had 6 shots before anybody else had 2, and hit only 1. Better later.

McLemore ( ) --

Stats: 38min 18pts (8-14, 0-2, 2-4) 5reb 12ast 3stl 0blk 3TO
Summary:booed all night, but played a smart saavy game on both ends, taking advantage of the Cuz doubles and poking balls away on D.

Rondo ( ) --

Bench

Stats: 28min 14pts (5-8, 1-2, 3-4) 1reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Collison( ) --

Stats: 6min 2pts (1-2, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Cauley-Stein ( ) --

Stats: 20min 9pts (3-8, 1-6, 2-2) 4reb 1ast 1stl 1blk 0TO
Casspi ( ) --

Stats: 24min 16pts (6-10, 3-5, 1-4) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Belinelli ( ) --

Stats:12min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 4reb 2ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Koufos ( ) --

placeholder...

Last edited:
I think the better question is will teams continue to miss open threes, in that case no, no they won't. Defense is the same, maybe a little more effort to close out(still wide open shots, just with guy running at them). This game an a half is no different from the five game win streak where teams missed open shots with a then dominant Cousins and the team playing with full effort.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think the better question is will teams continue to miss open threes, in that case no, no they won't. Defense is the same, maybe a little more effort to close out(still wide open shots, just with guy running at them). This game an a half is no different from the five game win streak where teams missed open shots with a then dominant Cousins and the team playing with full effort.
That's exactly the point here. I won't further comment on it than that and just let the fans enjoy the one win because who knows when it will come again.

Defense was still terrible. Just gifted a win due to Dallas' bad shooting. We were guarding Dirk and Parsons with Rondo and Collison at the end of the game due to switching on every screen. Simply inexcusable and only saved by the fact that Rondo was able to slap the ball away a few times. That won't always happen.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
how close are we to losing that 1st round draft pick?
Current lottery teams:
30-30 Washington
30-30 Chicago
28-32 Utah
27-33 Orlando
25-35 Kings (10th)
25-36 Milwaulkee
25-37 New York
24-37 Denver
23-37 New Orleans
19-42 Minnesota
17-44 Brooklyn
15-46 Phoenix
12-50 Lakers
8-53 Philadelphia

Note: 10 of our next 12 games come against teams either on the above list or 1 game above it (Detrpoit is 31-30).

Defense was still terrible. Just gifted a win due to Dallas' bad shooting. We were guarding Dirk and Parsons with Rondo and Collison at the end of the game due to switching on every screen. Simply inexcusable and only saved by the fact that Rondo was able to slap the ball away a few times. That won't always happen.
Words can't express how proud I am of Cuz and Rondo tonight. They just refused to lose this game. Rondo hold his own on those assasin switches on Dirk all the time and Boogie kept his cool and saved us with his battle on the offensive boards.

K

KingMilz

Good effort out of Cuz/Rondo/Marco and DC, I tbought Kosta played solid D when he was in and Casspi/Q both chipped in as well and Ben played like a man rather than a boy for a extended period.

Vlade has to do something about WCS playing time weather it's fire Karl or instruct him that he's got to play 20mins every game at least. There is zero excuse a guy with his talent on a team 10 games below 500. to play 6 minutes.
If Karl has decided to go back to the double SF line up ( hopfully not) than both Kosta and Q should be out of the rotation and let WCS play C/PF. The alternative is to pl ay Casspi at SG more opening up time for one of Q or Kosta in the rotation as well We have a rookie worth developing so ****ing let him play.

They're starting to transition into a man defense, which is good, but needed to happen like 3 months ago.

Marco actually making shots has made Karl's rotation more effective, but still not a lot of WCS tonight.

One thing that really bailed the Kings out at times was how awful Barea and Deron were at delivering the pass to Dirk at the top of the key. They kept throwing that kick out and swing pass to his feet, causing him to reach down and then launch the shot from his knees. He was bricking rainbow shots because the passes were off. Sometimes apply a little man D and pushing people to the sidelines can make a small difference with a big payoff.

So we gonna lose our pick and not make playoffs. Really exciting...

Kings really need to go 17-7 or better to make playoffs. They have to beat Houston and Utah in those 24 to make sure as well.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Losing the pick is a good thing it needs to go.
And this wouldn't be a bad year to lose it.

Assuming Kris Dunn doesn't tumble or the Kings end up with a top 3 pick (say, by winning the lottery and Philly getting 2 or 3 and swapping) I don't see a lot of great options in the 7 -10 area.

While the Kings' recent losses already had me thinking about tanking, of course I'd much rather see them finish the year strong. And if that means losing a late lottery pick in a meh draft then so be it.

As an aside, if Caris Levert is still in the board late in the first round (different mocks have him between picks 21-34) I'd love to see Vlade make a move to get him. If Cuz & Rondo are both back Levert would be a nice SG to groom.

Don't like real basketball talk? It's a meaningless win at the end of another long line of meaningless seasons. If people want to pretend like the Kings all the sudden sunk their heels in and played defense then go right ahead but that's not what actually happened. I'm tired of celebrating these pointless moral victories. We've been doing it for a decade now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Don't like real basketball talk? It's a meaningless win at the end of another long line of meaningless seasons. If people want to pretend like the Kings all the sudden sunk their heels in and played defense then go right ahead but that's not what actually happened. I'm tired of celebrating these pointless moral victories. We've been doing it for a decade now.

"Real basketball talk?" It is to laugh.

"Real basketball talk?" It is to laugh.
Real basketball talk. As in what really happened on the court last night. I'm here to talk about basketball. You're here to troll and do your usual one upping crap that makes you just so likable. If you can't handle the reality of the situation, then find something else to do with your time. I'm sure it will be much more productive than posting cutesy pictures and videos in a pathetic attempt to get "likes" from the few people here who can stand you any longer.

I'm not so sure about this supposed great defense last night, Dirk had three wide open three pointers in the last five minutes and missed them all.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Real basketball talk. As in what really happened on the court last night. I'm here to talk about basketball. You're here to troll and do your usual one upping crap that makes you just so likable. If you can't handle the reality of the situation, then find something else to do with your time. I'm sure it will be much more productive than posting cutesy pictures and videos in a pathetic attempt to get "likes" from the few people here who can stand you any longer.
You have an unusually facile and linear definition of "real basketball talk."

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether your view is that the Kings' defense won them the game or the Mavericks' terrible outside shooting won them the game or anything in between the biggest takeaway is that the Kings won the game. A game in Dallas where they last won in 2003.

It's frustrating being a Kings fan and it has been for a very long time but I think if you get to the point where you're upset when they lose and you're upset when they win then watching Kings games is no longer providing the entertainment and distraction that it should.

Good defense can come in the form of forcing a team to work longer into the shot clock and maybe not getting the shot they wanted. Or making them work harder to get open. Forcing them to release the shot sooner than they want. Doing this over the course of a full game will affect a teams FG% and it can appear as though a team is 'just missing open shots.' But in reality the team can be out of rythm or worn down.

It's too simplistic to say the other team just missed shots. When you play good D, that's what tends to happen.