[Grades] Grades v. Cavaliers 1/25/2017

Kings player of the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, and the D-League's level of competition is similar to Europe. He's actually showing some of the same type of skills as Marc against lesser competition

From today:

By far the most encouraging thing is how much he's worked on his body. Looks like a completely different guy than he did 6 months ago and it seems to be paying off in a big way with some of the moves he's making. Didn't see anything like it during Summer League.

yeah, mostly because Papa shows virtually none of the skills that Gasol did :)

marc was a Gasol. A fat Gasol, but a Gasol. Passing, shooting, and some post work. Papa...well, he's from Europe. Even if we were to get good enough for the league it would be as a radically different sort of player.
Let's not forget that teenage Marc Gasol was a doughboy that didn't look like a basketball player. Papa may still turn out to be a bust, but he's shown a lot of improvement IMO and still has a long time compared to when Marc was getting meaningful NBA minutes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Let's not forget that teenage Marc Gasol was a doughboy that didn't look like a basketball player. Papa may still turn out to be a bust, but he's shown a lot of improvement IMO and still has a long time compared to when Marc was getting meaningful NBA minutes.
Let's not forget that what was at the time considered one of the worst trades in NBA history wound up with Memphis ending up with the better Gasol brother.

WCS starting and progressing next to Cuz is the variable i thought would move the needle most for this team before the season. Its one of those things that transforms you from a mediocre defensive team to playing vs a frontline that gives you nothing inside. The strength,length and timing of Cousins mixed with the freakish quickness and length of Stein.
I didn't see the game but if Willie was good, he is merely living up to my high expectations. He needed to grow up a bit and junk his goal of being an offensive monster and just do what he can do. Joerger taught him a lesson. Play to your strengths and leave that other stuff to later in your career. For a moment it didn't look like he would have a career. I think he noticed. Fly around the court, young man, and scare the hell out of the other team.

Did he fly around??

And none if this happens with any of the previous 92 coaches we had since Adelman. Jeorger is showing excellent long game coaching skills.

So now, all of the sudden, all the kids drafted and coached under Vlade/Joerger are looking pretty good - WCS, Malachi, Skal. It did take a while to extract the poison Karl infected Willie with. Looks like that's been accomplished.

Obviously no one wanted to see Rudy go down the way he did, but I feel like the team is responding by all relying on each other and moving the ball. Cousins still gets all the touches he wants, but he's shown he's more than willing to find the open guy if they're hitting shots. This should have been a "sum of all parts" team from the beginning and I'm very curious to see what we can develop off these 2 wins.

Who was that team that played last night? A team the competed against the NBA champs for the entire game. That made play after play and never let the pressure bother them. Wasn't Cousins supposed to get a technical foul at some point? There was some other Cousins who made big shots at the end of the game. Who was that? Wow, looking forward to more of this.

Obviously no one wanted to see Rudy go down the way he did, but I feel like the team is responding by all relying on each other and moving the ball. Cousins still gets all the touches he wants, but he's shown he's more than willing to find the open guy if they're hitting shots. This should have been a "sum of all parts" team from the beginning and I'm very curious to see what we can develop off these 2 wins.
Some people might wonder if it ever gets tiring always being the first to get everything right. I can assure you it does not.

Jan. 19:
Ok I'm gonna post what I put in the game thread to try to give folks a possible different way of looking at this bad news.

There are some positives. First, we may actually get better without Rudy. Much as I love the guy. My eye test tells me it just wasn't working out. We are still very much in the hunt for 8th seed.

This accelerates the team developing chemistry without Rudy, and opens room to play some younger players and guys we hope to keep around. If, like Joerger said, the first half was about using analytics to see who we wanted to go forward with, we can be sure Rudy did not make that cut. We can also be sure other guys did. We will now be playing those other guys.

D

DC222

And none if this happens with any of the previous 92 coaches we had since Adelman. Jeorger is showing excellent long game coaching skills.

So now, all of the sudden, all the kids drafted and coached under Vlade/Joerger are looking pretty good - WCS, Malachi, Skal. It did take a while to extract the poison Karl infected Willie with. Looks like that's been accomplished.
Willie played well under Karl. He regressed this year under Joeger. Not saying Karl was great but for the sake of not introducing "alternative" facts let's not go overboard with Joeger improvement unless warranted.

Willie played well under Karl. He regressed this year under Joeger. Not saying Karl was great but for the sake of not introducing "alternative" facts let's not go overboard with Joeger improvement unless warranted.
He played ok, but was given no structure so Willie just kind of went nuts and neglected learning the basics or at least focusing his energy in the right places for development. He was then inexplicably (and without communication from Karl) benched for the final third of the season. It really messed with his head and he has finally gotten his sea legs under him.

Joerger has taken an interest in his long term development. Clearly the relationship is better, indicated by flourishing even after a period of being benched. Almost assuredly he was told why this time. He's a different player than two months ago. That's Joerger.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He played ok, but was given no structure so Willie just kind of went nuts and neglected learning the basics or at least focusing his energy in the right places for development. He was then inexplicably (and without communication from Karl) benched for the final third of the season. It really messed with his head and he has finally gotten his sea legs under him.

Joerger has taken an interest in his long term development. Clearly the relationship is better, indicated by flourishing even after a period of being benched. Almost assuredly he was told why this time. He's a different player than two months ago. That's Joerger.
Yes, Joerger first and foremost has been about getting the,defensive assignments and communication on defense right. It's the complete opposite of Karl who didnt stress any defensive principles other than increase pace. I think Joerger and his assistants are bringing the youth along correctly.

I love how you just make this stuff up. Guy sucks the entire season, has two good games and all of a sudden he's got this perfect relationship with a coach who has been developing him so well all the time. You could make a movie out of this story you just told. Basketball player with no structure and a bad coach, along comes this guy who takes an interest in his life, and after a tumultuous start to their relationship they blossom and flourish together and become the greatest winning duo in NBA history. You should become a creative story writer if you aren't one already.

Btw, I thought this was one of the most entertaining and best Kings games I've seen in a long time.

Well the evaluation of How Willie plays under Joerger is incomplete. But using the Eye Test of what I have seen in these most recent games I think you will be proved wrong:)

I love how you just make this stuff up. Guy sucks the entire season, has two good games and all of a sudden he's got this perfect relationship with a coach who has been developing him so well all the time. You could make a movie out of this story you just told. You should become a creative story writer if you aren't one already.
Thank you!

I know, I'm a hell of a bs er aren't I? It's amazing how it all ends up being true.

WCS stuff with Karl is documented in post game interviews with him last season.

The rest is deductive reasoning and inference based on observation, and opinion (that is correct 99% of the time). Turns out I'm absolutely incredible at it.

Thank you so much for the compliment, and thanks for noticing! I love gaining new fans.

I love how you just make this stuff up. Guy sucks the entire season, has two good games and all of a sudden he's got this perfect relationship with a coach who has been developing him so well all the time. You could make a movie out of this story you just told. Basketball player with no structure and a bad coach, along comes this guy who takes an interest in his life, and after a tumultuous start to their relationship they blossom and flourish together and become the greatest winning duo in NBA history. You should become a creative story writer if you aren't one already.

Btw, I thought this was one of the most entertaining and best Kings games I've seen in a long time.
The thing is, life tends to operate in literary ways, I've noticed. Classic stories are classic because they mimic human psychology. People tend to operate as characters, and there really are a limited number of characters and stories. Author Ronald Tobias says there are only 20 stories in the world. Others have said 36. I see things in patterns, that's how I can tell the future so often. Except for 50 wins this year. LOL. Specifics are harder. Patterns and motivations are easier.

Certain characters I can relate to easier, and WCS is one. So is Cuz. It's weird, but I can see right into that guy's soul. He will never, ever leave Sacramento. And I knew it from the first month or so after we drafted him.

Yea, one thing Cousins has been doing very well as of late is passing the ball. Problem is we don't have real good consistent shooters. Would also like to see what happens if the ball is swung another one or two passes after Cuz makes the kickout.

I think the sooner they move Richardson and maybe Willie into the starting lineup the better. I want to see what they can do with Cuz as that is our future.

Willie finally looked aggressive yesterday (granted they have no center) he also looks like hes gotten into better shape and put on size (do that in the offseason next time!). His offense and defensive IQ still have a long way to go but he can be a difference maker out their if he can just learn not to be a complete liability. Its just one game for these two but Im glad they finally had a good showing.

Lets the "vets" handle the bench and let the young guys get a little run with the starters Dave!

Yea, one thing Cousins has been doing very well as of late is passing the ball. Problem is we don't have real good consistent shooters. Would also like to see what happens if the ball is swung another one or two passes after Cuz makes the kickout.
I've seen that a bunch this year. It usually leads to a pretty good look to a 3 point shooter in the corner. Only problem is, that's usually somebody who isn't a great shooter!

Nonetheless, I think Cuz is starting to get a nice feel for passing out of the double team and we will be much improved when we add more shooters.

Not really, we've been asking for Malachi for a while now and he's finally playing, and he's playing well. I blame Joerger for not playing him sooner. And I'm still blaming him for not playing him enough.
have you stopped to consider that it may have been important to acclimate malachi richardson to the nba through a combination of developmental league play and kings team practices, and that coach joerger didn't want to thrust richardson into the fray until he was more prepared? i don't know about you, but the failure of ben mclemore is fresh in my mind, and he's a player who was undoubtedly given too much responsibility too soon. that richardson looked like a seasoned vet out there last night is evidence to me that joerger has taken the proper approach with his rookies; know that they're ready before risking their confidence on the court.

have you stopped to consider that it may have been important to acclimate malachi richardson to the nba through a combination of developmental league play and kings team practices, and that coach joerger didn't want to thrust richardson into the fray until he was more prepared? i don't know about you, but the failure of ben mclemore is fresh in my mind, and he's a player who was undoubtedly given too much responsibility too soon. that richardson looked like a seasoned vet out there last night is evidence to me that joerger has taken the proper approach with his rookies; know that they're ready before risking their confidence on the court.
Exactly what I waa going to say. Joerger has a process and knows how to develop players.

GOD BLESS OUR KINGS! :)

Best win of the year and best play of the year when Temple tipped the pass from the unsuspecting and aloof King James, dived out of bounds to save it and tackled the opposing coach, the overrated Tyron Lue, the Luke Walton of the East!

Just when I thought the season was over, we take care of business on two games in this trip with more cohesive play than any other game on the disastrous home stand. We do NOT win this game without Willie looking like a new man and Malachi with poise and accuracy and aggressiveness uncommon of a rookie to keep us within striking distance in the 4th, and credit due to Affalo for swishing the open three. I have been bashing this guy so for being lead-footed and unable to create, but he's been doing better picking his spots within his limited skill set.

Boogie was 9:2 on his assist to turnovers. That's a spectacular 4.5 to 1 ratio! This is from a guy with a 0.8 assist to turnover on his career and hugely improved 1.3 assist to turnover this season! No way can Kings win this game if he passes the ball per career norm, which would be 5 assists to 6 turnovers. This is how you can compete and sneak out a victory when your best player goes 11-30 FGs!

Whether you are a long time proponent or detractor of Boogie, especially relevant given the 5000 word piece on him on ESPN today, your opinion should be reconsidered given his improved passing efficiency. It was always my contention the Kings could NOT confidently build around a guy with 53% TS and 0.8 assist to turnover and 35+% usage. No way! That's NOT superstar. That's NOT Hall of Fame player.... that's high volume sloppiness!

And after what we have witnessed this season at 55% and 1.3 assist to TO, bolstered by better FT and 3 ball accuracy, if his efficiency reverted back to what it was, fans would more often be saying about him "what's wrong?" or "this slump needs to end" and "lets blow it up". If Boogie keeps it up with the help of guys who can fill the void at SG and PF (Malachi and Willie) and be recipient of sweet dimes, perhaps the season can be salvaged yet.