Grade the Kings 2010 draft

Grade the Kings 2010 draft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right now A is running at 96.91%! I didn't think you could get that kind of consensus on this site if you polled whether water is wet ("45% - Water isn't in itself wet, it creates the phenomenon of wetness"). Everybody hold hands now and sing Kumbaya! :D

A.

were stacked in the front court now with amazing talent and defence, add our young 3s and the efficient backcourt of tyreke and beno and we will be pushing it this season

This draft was unbelievable.

Cousins is going to absolutely abuse other big men, and he brings the same physicality and toughness that Petrie began to assemble starting from last year's draft.
An A+ for that pick. He and Tyreke are just going to kill other teams.

I can't believe that Whiteside fell to #33.
An A+ high-reward player, and someone who no-one could have imagined falling all the way to our pick.

If Whiteside can actually play the PF spot, can you imagine that line-up?
You've got Cousins with the mass and strength to guard big men in the post, and Whiteside who is a freak athlete and elite shotblocker to provide weak-side protection.
That instantly solves our interior defense.
With Tyreke and Donte on the perimeter, that is a very, very good defensive line-up.

Now I don't know if Whiteside is going to be able to step up and get minutes immediately. I think he's going to get lost and confused on the offensive end, but we'll see how well he adjusts starting in the summer league. And it's way to soon to speculate, but I don't know how this might impact JT, Landry, and Brockman.

This was about as good a draft as it could have been. We've got tons of capspace to use if needed, a ton of young, tough, physical talent and a very good chance to build an elite defensive team.

I'm just completely blown away by the potential that this team has.

Amazing draft, made even moreso by the "sum being greater than its parts"--Cousins and Whiteside fit well together, and more importantly address major team needs. A+++. I'll have full reports on Cousins and Whiteside later on the site.

Amazing draft, made even moreso by the "sum being greater than its parts"--Cousins and Whiteside fit well together, and more importantly address major team needs. A+++. I'll have full reports on Cousins and Whiteside later on the site.
I agree. The neat thing, and its really premature...is that you can really picture these two guys being a potentially nasty pair on the court. Like a more physically imposing Gasol-Bynum, except neither player has Pau's skill level.

It could just be a nightmare to try and score in the paint against that type of length.

Wasn't it only a couple months ago that the two major draft sites had him rated the #1 prospect for 2011? Sure that was overblown, but at #33?!?
Put it like this...in around January or Feb, when we were at about the 8 or 9 slot...if you had told me we would get Whiteside. I'd have been happy.

When he was playing pro (and amateur) scouts were going nuts about the freshman 7' kid throwing up triple doubles. After the season, you start analyzing the holes in his game, you get skittish, and teams start looking for people more ready to help. No one wants to swing and miss and look stupid. He's the classic guy teams have drafted too high, but then amazingly, he dropped way too low this year. Unbelievable.

The grade for the Kings drafting this year is really an A+ because Demarcus Cousins is a guy the team needed with his big body, post presence, and toughness, and it was also a guy the fans wanted. Then they get a steal in Hassan Whiteside at 33, a prospect that was projected to be a mid first rounder with huge upside. Great job Petrie but now you may wonder do we have just about too much big men?

I couldn't be more happy with this draft.. Been wanting Cousins pretty much since I started watching UK BBall last year with Cousins and Wall.

from realgm.com
Kings: I have DeMarcus Cousins ranked as the second best player in this draft and I hate to think how difficult it will be physically and emotionally to not only play against both him and Tyreke Evans, but also play with them. I am more than willing to say the Kings are about 25 games away from being on the level in terms of overall talent in comparison to the Thunder or Blazers, except they are the antichrist version.
Hassan Whiteside would have been an uncomfortable pick for most teams in the teens, but he is decidedly easy to select in the beginning of the second round. Both Whiteside and Cousins will be NBA centers, but there skill sets are completely different with the former being a finesse, face-up guy. He needs to mature both physically and mentally while he spends the majority of 10-11 in the D-League, but I expect him to figure out his game and be a strong NBA contributor. Whiteside has unique abilities as a scorer and as a shotblocker and it will eventually translate.
DeMarcus Cousins, 5th
Hassan Whiteside, 33rd

Grade for Sacramento: A+

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_fe...grading_the_draft_2010_edition/#ixzz0rs0FgwiJ

Petrie gets an A+ from me as Cousins is exactly the franchise big this team needs and Whiteside a great compliment. Petrie basically solves our problems at center for at least the next decade, possibly longer, in a 2 hour period. I'm still euphoric. And I'm on board w/ Whiteside getting quality minutes in the developmental league as I don't want his development rushed if it's going to hinder it. Dalembert is a proven commodity, so he and Cousins will be a great 1-2 punch at center in the meantime. Perhaps Whiteside becomes a rotational player next year.

As a side note, for those worried about Brockman, I still see him returning as Whiteside will receive limited to no minutes this year and it seems plausable that the Kings will let Dalembert walk and use that expiring money for a free agent or to re-sign their own (Landry) and continue to have excellent cap flexibility.

I just can hardly believe that our front court IS COMPLETE! I can't wait to see how these pieces fit. Consider that shooting guard is one of the easier spots to fill and it's clear that our Kings are absolutely moving in the right direction.

Evans/Udrih
?????/Garcia
Greene/Casspi
Landry/Thompson/Brockman
Cousins/Dalembert/Whiteside

Last edited: