George Karl, Mark Jackson or ??? (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Vivek is "glad the fans are passionate"???? He'd better get a statement out clarifying whatever the heck this sign censorship was all about. Or we're gonna start calling him Vivek Jong-un
I heard from one person who was there tonight that part of the problem was the sign was being held up during game play. You can have signs in STA but if anyone complains about them, you are asked to put them down.

Very Maloofian of the new hierarchy! Pathetic!
Is it fair to call it "Maloofian"? I mean fair to the Maloofs? If Vivek tanks the arena project and takes the team elsewhere (or sells it to Hansen for a profit) then we can say he has "Maloofed us". But the Maloofs were never this deaf to the community feedback as far as I can remember so this seems like the wrong use of the slur.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is it fair to call it "Maloofian"? I mean fair to the Maloofs? If Vivek tanks the arena project and takes the team elsewhere (or sells it to Hansen for a profit) then we can say he has "Maloofed us". But the Maloofs were never this deaf to the community feedback as far as I can remember so this seems like the wrong use of the slur.
Whoa. You seem to be forgetting that Vivek isn't the only owner in the group. This is all getting really way off the rails, IMHO. I think the sign thing is being blown out of all proportion. As I posted above, at least one person who was there tonight thought the reason the sign holder was told to put it down was because people behind him complained. That's always been the rule at the arena - if you have a sign, you have to keep from obstructing the view of people behind you. If you don't or if someone complains, you have to put the sign down. If the organization had that much against the #WeWantKarl signs, they wouldn't have allowed them into the arena in the first place.

When they were trying to sell the team to Seattle group and a group of supporters brought in a bunch of sign and head masks of Burkle, Mastrov and Vivek, those were banned by the Maloofs as well.

Its the same PR "management" tactic getting applied here but in a different context. Maloofs didn't want those signs in the arena because in a way they were having a dig at the Maloofs and endangering their sale to the the Seattle group.

In this scenario, the fans are voicing their opinion that what the management did with Malone is wrong and lacks class but at the same time saying that George Karl is our man. The hierarchy does not like it so they do the Maloofian thing and ban the signs from being shown. Hardly an act of a hierarchy that genuinely cares what the fans think. They have their vision and they will be damned if anyone stops them from being innovative in a dumbness.

When they were trying to sell the team to Seattle group and a group of supporters brought in a bunch of sign and head masks of Burkle, Mastrov and Vivek, those were banned by the Maloofs as well.

Its the same PR "management" tactic getting applied here but in a different context. Maloofs didn't want those signs in the arena because in a way they were having a dig at the Maloofs and endangering their sale to the the Seattle group.

In this scenario, the fans are voicing their opinion that what the management did with Malone is wrong and lacks class but at the same time saying that George Karl is our man. The hierarchy does not like it so they do the Maloofian thing and ban the signs from being shown. Hardly an act of a hierarchy that genuinely cares what the fans think. They have their vision and they will be damned if anyone stops them from being innovative in a dumbness.
You're right, I stand corrected. I was just remembering the first several years of the Maloof ownership compared to this group and got carried away. By the end, a lot of bad stuff could be called "Maloofian" including sign censorship.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

If they truly did not want the signs to be shown, they would have confiscated them...which they did not. Again, I think there's more to this story than has come out so far. The truth will come out, as it always does. If the signs were blocking people's view, then those people had every right to complain to the ushers.

Our banner was never banned by the Maloofs. We were told the big heads were...well...too big. They were actually kind of heavy too.

Alas the whole premise of this post is off, which is something you would never know listening to our front office spin doctors. There is NO correlation between pace and winning. And we were NOT a slow paced team. In fact I think at the time of the firing we were 14th, dead middle.

Which brings us back to unrealistic numbnuts with a Golden State Warriors myopia.

Here are the top 10 pace teams in the NBA:

1) Golden State (yay! Golden State! ooh! My pants feel gooey!)
2) Boston
3) Philadelphia
4) Phoenix
5) Denver
6) Minnesota
7) Lakers
8) Rockets
9) Clippers
10) Milwaulkee

So I mean, obviously, the key to winning is pace. :rolleyes:

Or we can get down to the REAL issue -- the key to emulating Golden State is pace. Because, Golden State and all that. Maybe someday Sacramento will get lucky enough to have some owners who have more basketball than a garden gnome.

P.S. we are currently 16th -- dead middle. The Spurs are currently 17th. Not a bad neighborhood.
Interesting. Thanks.

So statisticely pace will be measured in possessions
per game. Do you think the stats show the cases where
you push the ball to create matchups in your favor,
preventing the defense to get set. Harden did this to us
multiple times. just curious.

But lets keep pace out of the discussion. You have proven your point.
How about assisted baskets? Turnovers? The time certain players hold the ball or how often certain players are used?
Any correlation to winning?

I'm not a stats guy. My opinions are based on what i watch on the court. And i tend to see major differences how the Grizzlies run their offense and how the Kings do it. with the Grizzlies being closest to a favorable blueprint for the Kings, cause they rely on their Center so much.

K

KingMilz

If I were a betting man I actually think George Karl will coach the Pelicans once they fire Monty Williams, Karl has professed his love for Davis plenty in the past.

That's what I'm also worrying about. All that hype around Anthony Davis makes people pay more attention to the Pelicans, which puts Monty at gunpoint of media (something similar to Del Negro's situation, or last year's situation with Mark Jackson). If the Kings FO wants to hire Karl, they better hurry, Monty's position is unstable and Karl would be the most likely candidate to replace him.

Last edited:
Woo! Karl has seen his support by us fans!

-George Karl

I hope he comes :D

Ultimate gift from the Kings for Christmas. If we get Karl, 8th seed is possible.
I don't want to ruin your dream but even if Karl will bring Pop and Phil we are not making the PO, SA are going to be a PO team and we are 7 games behind the Clippers at 6 seed. OKC have 2 top 10 players- it's not possible to get to the PO this year.

I don't want to ruin your dream but even if Karl will bring Pop and Phil we are not making the PO, SA are going to be a PO team and we are 7 games behind the Clippers at 6 seed. OKC have 2 top 10 players- it's not possible to get to the PO this year.

Possibly the cringiest moment in NBA history.

Last edited:
The most frustrating part of all this is the fact that a legitimate HOF coach actually WANTS to be here.

With all the turds to walk through that door over the past 10 years, we finally got a proven guy whose basically kicking the door down...

There is no excuse not to have already gotten this done.
When you're insecure, someone with Karl's credentials is threatening.

I cannot remember the last time any fanbase's opinion of the people in charge of a franchise has shifted so drastically so quickly.
Throwing a promising season away tends to do that.

They'll make a splashy trade or hire a coach soon enough. It's too late though. The best chance for success this year was with Malone. Clearly they don't care about that though. Playoffs have slipped away already.

If George Karl can turn this around, it'll truly be amazing. If they let him actually coach, he can do it. If he's a puppet like Corbin yelling "push it" to a slow it down grind it out team, then he'll struggle just as badly as Corbin, and we'll be firing a GM.

Since when do GM's dictate playing style? Isn't it the coaches job to get the best out of the talent you have? They fired the coach for doing exactly that, getting the most out of a fairly limited roster with a terrible bench. MALONE GOT FIRED FOR GETTING THE MOST OUT OF A LIMITED ROSTER!

First Malone's system, then Corbin/Vivek/PDA then Karl. All in the first 30 games with a team that's barely been together? George Karl, if you milk a .500 record out of this mess you are are truly a legend.

And if Karl isn't in the works, then, we will be lucky to crack 30 wins. It's that dire. This has completely fallen apart on both ends of the court. Cousins looks defeated. They all do. Every player is wondering what the hell was wrong with playing a style that was starting to have success to go to one that is hopeless.

Last edited:
As for the topic, it seems to me like this is kind of a negotiation through the media, and I hope Karl doesn't step on the FO toes and damage their ego - and if he does I hope the front office isn't dumb enough to actually not hire him cause he goes out public saying how much he wants to coach the team every chance he gets, and forces the hand of the FO to close him up faster then they'd want due to public pressure.

*This ownership said they want to win now and reach the playoff in time for the arena
*This ownership said they want to play up-tempo
*This ownership said they wanted outside the box thinking and fluid team oriented offensive system
*This ownership said they fired the previous coach over his style of play, and the man who replaced him plays exactly the same as before.

-The guy has a PROVEN record to turning things around with teams, even in midseason - check
-The guy plays the super up-tempo pace the FO wants - check
-The guy is an offensive genius who values sharing the ball, running the floor, in a team oriented way - check
-The guy missed the playoff twice in 25 years of coaching - check
-The guy is literally BEGGING to coach the team - check
-The guy succesfully worked under our GM and head of scouting, and coached our senior adviser - check

There is literally ZERO basketball-related reason, taking into account all that the front-office wants, and what George Karl has to offer - that this shouldn't be sealed 5 minutes ago.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me like Pete and the front office let their ego in the way of things, and just stall time in spite, cause they don't want to be rushed into a decision they know they want and need to make, because in their opinion it'll make them look weak and bending to the will of the coach and the public opinion.

Every day that goes by is a day wasted by Pete and Mullins due to their stubbornness to see the reality as it is. Simple as that. Everyone and their mother knows and says they need to do it, and they deep down KNOW they need to do it - so like a little kid who wants to rebel they say "No" and drag it a little longer until they're able to say yes on THEIR TERMS.

Goddamn bull, this is. He needed to hire Karl the day after Malone was fired. Comical and amateur stuff, per usual in the circus that is the Sacramento Kings.

I hope im not the only one sending daily tweets and e-mails to the FO. Let em hear your frustration at what they're doing to our team, regardless of what the gesture is or isnt worth.