Gaming Thread!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Saw some video game talk in another thread, and instead of derailing that one further I figured we could try a thread over in here. Video games are right up with sports as my hobby. Love them. Can talk about them all day.

First off, what are y’all on? I’ve got all the current consoles. Plan on pre-ordering the PS5 the second they release the details.

First point of discussion; The Last of Us 2. Hated it. Ruined the series for me. It should have ended at what I thought was the epilogue. Instead Neil and Naughty Dog made it as depressing as humanly possible. I know it’s not a happy world, but it’s like the team went out of their way to make you feel miserable for completing it. It was so bad to the point I will never touch The Last of Us 1 again, which had been my favorite game of all time.

Console-wise, Last of Us 2 is next on my list, so bummed to hear you didn’t like it, but currently enjoying the hell out of Ghost of Tsushima. Highly recommend. PC-wise, dabbling in Valorant and CoD:Warzone when I’m not sick of sitting at a desk. Fun, but nothing too groundbreaking.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
TLoU2 is definitely very polarizing. I’ve seen reactions swing from my end to saying it’s even better than the first and everything in between. The gameplay, graphics, voice acting are all still incredible, it’s just all in the direction the team took.

Ghost of Tsushima is great. I’m on the final few missions. Got distracted by my usual monthly trip into the evil world of SoulsLike games though with Hellpoint (very mediocre) and Mortal Shell (very good) before I could finish. An amazing PS4 exclusive for the console to go out on.

Saw some video game talk in another thread, and instead of derailing that one further I figured we could try a thread over in here. Video games are right up with sports as my hobby. Love them. Can talk about them all day.

First off, what are y’all on? I’ve got all the current consoles. Plan on pre-ordering the PS5 the second they release the details.

First point of discussion; The Last of Us 2. Hated it. Ruined the series for me. It should have ended at what I thought was the epilogue. Instead Neil and Naughty Dog made it as depressing as humanly possible. I know it’s not a happy world, but it’s like the team went out of their way to make you feel miserable for completing it. It was so bad to the point I will never touch The Last of Us 1 again, which had been my favorite game of all time.
I'm on PS4, currently circled back to BF1 because I enjoy WW1 games, and effectively running a horse into a gun/tank fight never gets old for me

A few weeks ago, loaded XP on VirtualBox and figured out how to get SimTower loaded up and working, one of my younger days' favorite. Loading up Day of the Tentacle from my 3.5 floppies is on my down the road list. Command and Conquer recently released a remaster, so I've been playing that here and there too. If you can't tell, I'm into RTS games for sure

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Played Chapter 1 of Tell Me Why today. From the good people that brought you the Life is Strange Series. (DONTNOD)

Shockingly, LiS1 is one of my favorite games. I’m a sucker for the “playable movie” genre. Didn’t expect to love it as much as I did, but fell in love with everything about it. Was massively let down by 2, though. Came into this one hoping they’d return to form, and they delivered! So glad they’re back on track! Can’t wait for Chapter 2 next week!

Played Chapter 1 of Tell Me Why today. From the good people that brought you the Life is Strange Series. (DONTNOD)

Shockingly, LiS1 is one of my favorite games. I’m a sucker for the “playable movie” genre. Didn’t expect to love it as much as I did, but fell in love with everything about it. Was massively let down by 2, though. Came into this one hoping they’d return to form, and they delivered! So glad they’re back on track! Can’t wait for Chapter 2 next week!
Will have to check out. There was a time in the beginning of LiS that felt silly playing it...there’s an on going joke in my household where we whine and lament over our ‘photography’...but then we couldn’t stop playing and got totally sucked in. Had to play the sequel too.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Got three games coming out this next week (Avengers, Tony Hawk Remake, and Kingdoms of Amalur Remake) along with Chapter 2 of Tell Me Why. Good stuff to keep me busy for awhile as I continue to think about whenever Sony decides to reveal their price and preorders for the PS5.

Got three games coming out this next week (Avengers, Tony Hawk Remake, and Kingdoms of Amalur Remake) along with Chapter 2 of Tell Me Why. Good stuff to keep me busy for awhile as I continue to think about whenever Sony decides to reveal their price and preorders for the PS5.
Hey SLAB, have you watched the Netflix series High Score that came out a couple weeks ago? I'm two episodes in and my nostalgia feels are off the charts

Let me know how it goes if you jump into Avengers. It sounds like it’s really a grind in the beginning to get characters to where they’re fun to play. I worry that I won’t have the patience to get over that hump.

Signed up for the PS5 since I’d be lying to myself if I thought the price would keep me from getting it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Let me know how it goes if you jump into Avengers. It sounds like it’s really a grind in the beginning to get characters to where they’re fun to play. I worry that I won’t have the patience to get over that hump.

Signed up for the PS5 since I’d be lying to myself if I thought the price would keep me from getting it.
I’ll be on it tomorrow. There’s a huge download/patch and with my slow internet speed I won’t be on for awhile. I did play the Beta, and the second solo/tutorial mission was a bit of a drag, but once it got into the semi-open world with multiplayer it became awesome, even with the characters on low-levels with limited skills. Kamala is going to be my main.

Playing Tony Hawk now, and it’s an amazing nostalgia trip. They did good on this one.

Playing Tony Hawk now, and it’s an amazing nostalgia trip. They did good on this one.
I loved the Tony Hawk games.

At the start of our lockdown I bought an Xbox and have been playing overcooked 2 - a fun team game - and super mega baseball 3 - which is also pretty cool.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That PS5 showcase, I can only get so excited!

November 12. 500$

Final Fantasy XVI
Demons Souls
Spider Man; Miles Morales
REVIII
Hogwarts Legacy

eventually the new God of War.

Sorry, wallet. You’re about to be much lighter.

Stoked about everything Sony unveiled today, but sounds like they’re continuing (increasing?) the console trend of limited and fairly weak launch day titles. Guess I’ll be playing Miles Morales for 2 months.

oh dang both consoles come out this year? I skipped PS4 so was going to get the 5, but since everything is on Xbox I will get that too. crap. I should stop buying guitar stuff?

I haven't bought THPS yet, I really want to but think I'll wait for a sale.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This is only tangentially related to gaming, but I'm going to go ahead and ask it here, anyway:

I bought Civilization 4 back in, like, 2004, or whenever it was, and it's pretty much the only game that I've played with any regularity in the last 15 years, aside from whenever I'm hanging out with my boy HD, or when my son wants me to play with him. I've been slow/reluctant to get onboard with the digital gaming thing because, you know, only the one game. However, comma, I've had two computers go to **** on me, in the last twelve months, and there's a significantly greater than zero percent possibility that the next computer I buy will not have an optical drive on it.

Apparently, at some point in the middle of the past decade, Firaxis was offering free Steam codes for Civ4 to people who could provide proof that they legally owned a physical copy, but I obviously missed the boat on that, and attempts to reach out to Firaxis since I found out about it have fallen on deaf ears. I'm not really trying to spend thirty bucks on a digital copy of a game that I already paid sixty bucks for, and still works, but I need to have a way to install the game on the next computer I buy.

What are my options?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is only tangentially related to gaming, but I'm going to go ahead and ask it here, anyway:

I bought Civilization 4 back in, like, 2004, or whenever it was, and it's pretty much the only game that I've played with any regularity in the last 15 years, aside from whenever I'm hanging out with my boy HD, or when my son wants me to play with him. I've been slow/reluctant to get onboard with the digital gaming thing because, you know, only the one game. However, comma, I've had two computers go to **** on me, in the last twelve months, and there's a significantly greater than zero percent possibility that the next computer I buy will not have an optical drive on it.

Apparently, at some point in the middle of the past decade, Firaxis was offering free Steam codes for Civ4 to people who could provide proof that they legally owned a physical copy, but I obviously missed the boat on that, and attempts to reach out to Firaxis since I found out about it have fallen on deaf ears. I'm not really trying to spend thirty bucks on a digital copy of a game that I already paid sixty bucks for, and still works, but I need to have a way to install the game on the next computer I buy.

What are my options?
I would head to Best Buy and talk with a representative that works in the gaming department and then tell him about your situation. He/She will probably tell you the bare minimum system requirements necessary to play that game on your platform of choice and then you decide from there whether to purchase a gaming PC/Laptop or something else.

What are my options?
Do you really not want to play Civ 5 or 6?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Do you really not want to play Civ 5 or 6?
Everything that I read when Civilization 5 came out indicated that they changed the combat system in ways that I didn't like, and would have forced me to change how I play the game, so I didn't get it. That was over a decade ago, though, so don't bother asking me for any details, because I don't ****ing remember. Didn't even bother looking at Civ6.

Everything that I read when Civilization 5 came out indicated that they changed the combat system in ways that I didn't like, and would have forced me to change how I play the game, so I didn't get it. That was over a decade ago, though, so don't bother asking me for any details, because I don't ****ing remember. Didn't even bother looking at Civ6.
I had Civ 5 but just didn't have the time to get in deep, I liked it, and I briefly fooled around with 6. I think Civ 3 was my favorite of the lot. I think you are right though, combat changed for sure. I think I would always play for cultural victories and avoid global war in the later games. I don't know if my license for 5 is transferable but I am not likely to ever play which is why I ask.

What are my options?
You can wait for one of Steams sales that they have throughout the year. You can probably get Civ4 for half off.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You can wait for one of Steams sales that they have throughout the year. You can probably get Civ4 for half off.
The only problem is, I don't really have any reason to be on Steam, unless it's Christmas, or my son's birthday, and I'm ordering a game for him, as a gift. And I don't spent time anywhere on the internet that I would ever be made aware of a Steam sale.

What are my options?
I believe the Epic Games Store had a deal a while ago giving away all the Civilizations for free with an account (which I believe is also free). Or maybe it was just Civ VI (On sale for $15), because they don't currently have Civ IV on their site.

GoodOldGames (gog.com) currently has Civ IV: The Complete Edition for $30. A lot more than you're willing to spend for a game you already own, I know, but they do have frequent sales, especially for vintage games.

The only problem is, I don't really have any reason to be on Steam, unless it's Christmas, or my son's birthday, and I'm ordering a game for him, as a gift. And I don't spent time anywhere on the internet that I would ever be made aware of a Steam sale.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I catch some of their sales just by chance.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Update; Got one through Amazon!
What an emotional roller coaster yesterday was. As emotional a roller coaster as a video game console can cause! From Sony tweeting “Preorders will start tomorrow!” To me mentally preparing to chill in front a GameStop all night, to me missing every single online retailer and GameStop in my area as the intermittently rolled them out throughout the rest of day. I had one in my cart for WalMart but by the time I grabbed and scanned my card it was already sold out. Didn’t even get that close with Target, BestBuy, or GameStop’s online.

I thought I was out of luck and complained on Twitter hoping for a second round of preorders, and someone sent me a random link for Amazon telling me their sales were live, which I immediately clicked and bought. I did it! Then the purchase page (which I didn’t closely check because I was too panicked hitting buy) led to an error message and I thought I somehow got scammed by the random twitter guy sending a bad link. Got in contact with Amazon help and they assured me I got my product and the page was down because they had sold out in the minutes after I secured my purchase.

Fun times. Now November 12th needs to get here as fast as possible.