Gaming Thread!

There are devices that will clean up the image but may introduce small amounts of latency. The best thing with CRT is it never had the latency HDMI sets have had.
it’s a bit tough to find CRTs right now. None of the thrift stores accept them anymore so the only place to find them is garage sales and Facebook marketplace. And now the price has gone way up. Sony Trinitrons can go for several hundred dollars. I’m keeping my eye out though

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I still haven’t finished all the quest lines in Pokémon Violet. I’m caught up in catching my perfect team of shineys.

I’ve got my shiny Dragapult, Noivern, and Froslass so far. Really want a shiny Palafin.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
it’s a bit tough to find CRTs right now. None of the thrift stores accept them anymore so the only place to find them is garage sales and Facebook marketplace. And now the price has gone way up. Sony Trinitrons can go for several hundred dollars. I’m keeping my eye out though
Check these adapters out: https://www.retrorgb.com/upscalers.html

I somehow gave away my old commodore monitor I don't know why, I have all my old consoles through from 3DO through Gamecube still.

I think the old Dreamcast 2k basketball games were the best, 2k1 or 2 I think, where you could left trigger with CWebb, let go and he'd spin out of the post for an easy jam. Ok, maybe not the best sim, but the glory year Kings were beasts in that game.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
could you fill me in on what CRT stands for? I'm really contemplating getting myself a PS as well.
Cathode ray tube. You remember the old, heavy analog tube tvs? They are somewhat ideal for pre-HD/pre-HDMI era gaming because they analog display connectors carried less input lag - OG Xbox 360s were the last system to have HD with component cables. I think some of the HDMI lag is actually caused by anti-piracy measures that were incorporated into the cabling. CRTs are also known for best in class blacks before OLED became available aside from high end plasma displays, but also highly prone to image retention ("burn in").

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Cathode ray tube. You remember the old, heavy analog tube tvs? They are somewhat ideal for pre-HD/pre-HDMI era gaming because they analog display connectors carried less input lag - OG Xbox 360s were the last system to have HD with component cables. I think some of the HDMI lag is actually caused by anti-piracy measures that were incorporated into the cabling. CRTs are also known for best in class blacks before OLED became available aside from high end plasma displays, but also highly prone to image retention ("burn in").
do you own one?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I have a cocktail Pac Man machine that has a CRT display but it appears I gave my other one away (an old Commodore 64 monitor).

Sony Trinitron is the standard. PVM series professional video monitors if you can find one in working order and don't mind the large amount of real estate for such a small screen.

Honestly, I don't think it is worth the effort unless you are building an arcade cabinet.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I have a cocktail Pac Man machine that has a CRT display but it appears I gave my other one away (an old Commodore 64 monitor).

Sony Trinitron is the standard. PVM series professional video monitors if you can find one in working order and don't mind the large amount of real estate for such a small screen.

Honestly, I don't think it is worth the effort unless you are building an arcade cabinet.
All the effort doesn't seem very appeasing. I suppose I will simply have to deal with the graphics as they come with the TV I own and take in the Nostalgia from every angle.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
All the effort doesn't seem very appeasing. I suppose I will simply have to deal with the graphics as they come with the TV I own and take in the Nostalgia from every angle.
For some of the really old school platform games with jump precisely or die mechanics it does make a difference, for nostalgia buy a good converter and use your screen budget on an LG OLED and be done with it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
what old consoles do you own?
At present I think I have 3DO, Sega Saturn, PS 1, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and OG Xbox. Also have at least one functioning PS3 and 360. I have a number of Genesis and SNES games still but the consoles were lost in a move long ago. I do have reliable emulation on my Shield TV for those. And of course the Pac Man cocktail table I mentioned earlier. Would love to have a pinball table some day.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
At present I think I have 3DO, Sega Saturn, PS 1, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and OG Xbox. Also have at least one functioning PS3 and 360. I have a number of Genesis and SNES games still but the consoles were lost in a move long ago. I do have reliable emulation on my Shield TV for those. And of course the Pac Man cocktail table I mentioned earlier. Would love to have a pinball table some day.
you have yourself quite a selection. which do you find yourself playing the most?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ohhhhh talking our retros?!

I have an Atari, NES, SNES, GameBoy, GameCube, then all the old PlayStations & XB’s… actually not the OG XB because it’s kind of ugly and takes up too much space on my shelf.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
what do you hook your old consoles up to?
I had this giant old Sony TV awhile back that had all the old-school connections in the back, the three colored plug-ins and also the one that screws in. I decided to get rid of it though about a year back because it was unsightly and just took up too much space. I didn’t use the old-school consoles enough to justify keeping the TV around … so currently the consoles are just shelf decoration.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
you have yourself quite a selection. which do you find yourself playing the most?
honestly I play the emulated genesis and arcade games in MAME the most.
what do you hook your old consoles up to?
Did you see the link I posted on previous page, there are all kinds of adapters that do some low latency conversion from analog to HDMI. They range from $20 to $100.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
honestly I play the emulated genesis and arcade games in MAME the most.

Did you see the link I posted on previous page, there are all kinds of adapters that do some low latency conversion from analog to HDMI. They range from $20 to $100.
I'll look around for those adapters, thanks for your input.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I had this giant old Sony TV awhile back that had all the old-school connections in the back, the three colored plug-ins and also the one that screws in. I decided to get rid of it though about a year back because it was unsightly and just took up too much space. I didn’t use the old-school consoles enough to justify keeping the TV around … so currently the consoles are just shelf decoration.
do you plan on keeping the consoles long term?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm up to about 90% downloaded now and we can't play until tomorrow, so no worries.
So, started up Diablo IV beta, watched the cutscenes, got to the point where I customize my character, was checking the key bindings quick before starting to play, and I get booted out of the game. Try logging back in and I'm now in a queue over an hour long to try to get back in.

At this rate I'm going to just have to go back to work - I was up early and got some work in starting at 4 am, but maybe I'll get back to that for a while and try this again later.....

Edit: slowly working down to logging in again. It's not like the couldn't anticipate everyone trying to play or anything and have enough servers ready to roll.... :rolleyes:
1679073815332.png

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So, started up Diablo IV beta, watched the cutscenes, got to the point where I customize my character, was checking the key bindings quick before starting to play, and I get booted out of the game. Try logging back in and I'm now in a queue over an hour long to try to get back in.

At this rate I'm going to just have to go back to work - I was up early and got some work in starting at 4 am, but maybe I'll get back to that for a while and try this again later.....

Edit: slowly working down to logging in again. It's not like the couldn't anticipate everyone trying to play or anything and have enough servers ready to roll.... :rolleyes:
View attachment 11680
Oh yeah, that was a massive pain at the release of D2 Remake. Couldn’t play for extended times for at least the first week. You think a company as big as them would reinforce the servers knowing the incoming rush of people.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
For sure. They’re going nowhere. Eventually I’ll have an entire dedicated space / display for all of them. And for all of them to be working and available for use.
A few years back (probably like 10 now) the science museum had a video game exhibit with all the old consoles playable etc. I thought about donating my collection especially since I could fill in some gaps for them, but nah. I kept them.

I wish I could go back to my childhood and play this game...

1679085767382.png

The simplicity of the console on which this game was available made playing games on that console very much so enjoyable (at least it did to me...).

Bonus points if you're able to correctly identify the game without utilizing a search engine.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

View attachment 11681

The simplicity of the console on which this game was available made playing games on that console very much so enjoyable (at least it did to me...).

Bonus points if you're able to correctly identify the game without utilizing a search engine.
Anybody who CAN'T identify this game without using a search engine needs to GET OFF MY LAWN!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm sure part of their beta is server stress test.
After the hour+ I got in and have been playing. Very similar to the Diablo 3 gameplay but in full 3D with good special effects. I am not an online gamer (I prefer almost exclusively SP games) but this is no TOO laggy overall. I've got a friend playing the beta later after he gets off work so we will try it out together then. They have tweaked the skills, etc.

One interesting change is that you can have like 3 sets of weapons equipped at one time and have one assigned to your primary attack and a different one (if you want) assigned to your secondary attack. While playing you don't have to switch manually - the correct weapon is used depending on which attack you are using. Interesting approach.

The way the magic items are presented is a little different than Diablo 3 - I don't have a good handle on if it is as simple as it looks yet.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

View attachment 11681

Oh @kingsboi - the ONLY OTHER reason to own a CRT is to play the old light gun games. Don't work with LCD, OLED and newer technologies. There are workarounds and stuff but if you have the hardware you need a CRT to use it.