GAME THREAD: California Classic Day 3: Sacramento Kings v. Miami Heat, July 5th, 2PM PST

What will we get for game #3?

• Total voters
Can we all admit that Bagley looked bad in the California Classic?
Also, can we all admit that his play in the California Classic doesn't mean he is a bust or that he won't become a star?

It's too early to make up our minds on him, but that doesn't mean posters can't comment on his play thus far. We're here to discuss.

Can we all admit that Bagley looked bad in the California Classic?
Also, can we all admit that his play in the California Classic doesn't mean he is a bust or that he won't become a star?

It's too early to make up our minds on him, but that doesn't mean posters can't comment on his play thus far. We're here to discuss.
Thanks for the post, I agree 100%. He didn't play well, it doesn't mean he won't play well in Vegas and it doesn't mean he won't be a great pro. It's ok to hold players to high expectations, the NBA is the best league in the world and the players get paid millions. They're professionals

Thanks for the post, I agree 100%. He didn't play well, it doesn't mean he won't play well in Vegas and it doesn't mean he won't be a great pro. It's ok to hold players to high expectations, the NBA is the best league in the world and the players get paid millions. They're professionals
I could be wrong, but I feel like players that are good 1-on-1 players look better in summer league. Everyone tends to be a little more selfish out there and there is just no team chemistry yet, no strong PG play, etc.

Bagley's strength is not going 1-on-1 (yet).
  • He's not a consistent shooter so when he faces up, teams sag off of him to negate his elite athleticism.
  • If he wants to drive, teams are forcing him to go right because his right hand is weak or he tries to finish with his left while going right which makes it way easier to contest/block.
  • His post game is lacking as he doesn't have many moves on the block and can only finish with one hand. Even if he does a spin move and has his man on his hip, his defender probably forced him to go right. With a defender on your left hip, he loses his advantage when he tries to finish with his left hand. If he uses his right hand, the defender has another 2-3 feet to travel to try and defend the shot.

I think Bagley will look a lot better within a team that wants to win. Not a team that has individuals trying to show how good they are. Having stronger PG play with guys like Fox & Bogdanovic will help.

Bagley needs to work on his shot & right hand if he ever wants to become a franchise player, but I think he'll look better once he gets into a NBA environment.

These summer league games are closer to scrimmages. They don't count for anything, and the competition is not really what players will see in the regular season. If the squad goes 3-0 or 0-3, it doesn't matter. Better to judge from regular season games. Same goes for preseason to a certain extent. Its good to see the players perform, and to some degree its a precursor for future play - you can pick out players strengths and weaknesses perhaps. There are other dynamics to consider too like how some players may play differently with other players not playing, as well as coaching. My expectation for this upcoming Kings season is not high either. Looks like the Kings may be snakebit from last years free agency debacle with Hill, and the Kings would rather use this upcoming season to re-evaluate acquisitions. etc.

april-2009-inspection-cartoon.jpg
Game 1 was like making the decision to buy that cute house. Games 2 and 3 were like the home inspection, where you suddenly learn about everything you never considered that will need fixing. Just a few random thoughts:

Fox: I think one thing we saw in games 2 and 3 is the critical importance of having a good PG directing traffic and setting people up. I'm trying not to be alarmed that Fox played one awesome game and was immediately too sore to play the next two, because most of our key players thrived with him in charge, they got into their offense more quickly, and the pace was faster.

Mason: I love Mason's motor and sometimes-tenacious defense, but didn't like the Mighty Mouse heroball I was seeing yesterday. Fox keeps things moving, while Mason seemed to be trying to recreate the clutch moves he had been applauded for hours earlier. I like Mason on this team, but need him to distribute.

MB3: As for Marvin, it's good to get a taste of adversity now, while he has plenty of time to work on all the things other posters have highlighted. He cannot rely on his physical advantage in the NBA, and other teams will know how to guard him. However, I believe he has the right attitude, work ethic, physical potential, and speed to be a great NBA player. Digging deep is what this is about, and he has the tools to do that.

Harry: I for one am giddy about Giles, for all the reasons previous posters have covered so well. Size, strength, shot touch, passing ability, unselfishness... and above all, confidence. I'm glad they held him back a year, and can't wait to see he and Marvin develop together.

JJ: Was Justin holding back in game 1, conscious of desire to highlight Marvin and Giles and quietly focusing on his defensive roles? Did he read all the flaming fan reactions to his perceived wussiness in Game 1? Did he do some soul searching and decide that he really does want to be here and works too hard not to own his role? Whatever the situation, it was good to see him playing well in the Game 2 comeback and even showing the confidence to demand the ball from the stand-in in Game 3 (which he promptly passed to MB3 in an unselfish attempt to get him going).

Now I want to see a game where Fox, Marvin, Giles, and Justin are all raining fire at the same time...with the chemistry they seem to have, it will be truly dangerous to anyone we face.

Mizzou King

Something else I thought about Summer league to consider: The competition at SL has become better and better over the years.

I think it's better than it was 8-9 years ago when Tyreke and DeMarcus played. Why, you ask? Because player development all around the league is better than it has ever been. With the D/G League and emphasis on SL in the past 10-15 years, the players participating in SL are more experienced and just flat out better players.

So my point is that it's not quite as easy for a top pick to hit the ground running as it used to be. That's not an excuse -- as I still expect MB3 to perform much better than he has -- but it is a reason why some young players are struggling. The competition is pretty good and there are lots of experienced players that know how to take advantage of 18, 19, 20 year old rookies.