GAME THREAD: California Classic Day 3: Sacramento Kings v. Miami Heat, July 5th, 2PM PST

What will we get for game #3?

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I counted at least 3 times where Bagley or Giles should have been dished the rock, but our guards whiffed.

Mason was especially bad with this. He just loves to try to lay everything up at the rim. Seems super selfish. And I love Frank! Grr...
Every single time they ran a pick and roll with Frank, he would just keep the ball even though Miami realized it and would constantly double him, leaving Giles (who is a willing if not effective screener) and Bagley wide upon but without a chance to make a play.

Last edited:
The purpose of summer league, though, is to assess players and determine their strengths and weaknesses, no? I'd much rather somebody show those warts in summer league so they can be addressed and corrected. This wasn't even REAL summer league. It was 3 games squeezed in before Vegas right after players had signed.

If Bagley had tore it up all three games and people were excited, there would invariably be those who made the "don't get excited, it's only summer league" comments. All the hype around him pretty sealed the deal that he wasn't going to please everybody no matter what he did or didn't do.

I expect him to get progressively better and to learn from his mistakes.
I think you misread my post or confused me with someone else. I said I expect him to be better, better than ok. He played well in the first game with Fox and had two stinkers.

No, we admit no such thing. The Kings augmented his weaknesses in the past two games, not his strengths. It's like the Suns giving Ayton the ball on the wing on the fast break and then wondering why he's not doing well. I don't think he would prosper in those situations. In the case of Bagley, if the Kings wanted to sabotage his game they couldn't have done a better job if they planned it. Surround him with incompetent guard play that doesn't get him the ball on the break or swing the ball side to side in the half court, slowing the game down in situations so that they can dribble, dribble dribble the ball up the floor in a set up offense. If you have a guy built for running and space and you don't run, guess what, he's not going to perform very well. In a couple of years, with improved strength, Bagley is going to be able to have great games despite stupid guard play and even in slow down games, but as a 19 year old rookie that just ain't happening and the expectation that it should happen is totally unrealistic.
I agree that the Kings aren't putting him in the best position to succeed, but he himself just didn't put in the effort today. Bagley has never had effort problems, so maybe it's just 4th of July slug. Whatever the hell we saw today, I hope we see none of that in the regular season. Bagley is a bit of a project, but I do expect a younger Anthony Davis/Blake Griffin hybrid who's a gigantic lob threat that goes hard after misses. I don't think we've seen the offensive putback threat yet.

On another note, the Kings have always been horrible offensively in SL except that 1 year with McCallum. I know it's SL with a bunch of random players, but we had 21tos compared to Miami's 7tos. It happens every year... I have no clue why.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On another note, the Kings have always been horrible offensively in SL except that 1 year with McCallum. I know it's SL with a bunch of random players, but we had 21tos compared to Miami's 7tos. It happens every year... I have no clue why.
And it's happened with all sorts of coaching staffs and rosters. The McCallum/BMac team ran a run and gun Ty Corbin-coached style and featured a couple of guys with NBA experience but it still makes no sense that that would be the one team to win summer league.

went to the game today...Bagley's game looks even worse in person... can't be upset that he's not polished as everyone likes to repeat that he needs to develop. Of course he does. What concerns me though is that he doesn't seem to have any natural instinct/rhythm.

JJ looks good. If went to a team w/ reall ball movement like the Ws, he would thrive. I hope Joeger tries to emulate a similar offense this year, rather than ground and pound.

Giles has been ok considering the long layoff from injuries, but I still have expected to see more from such an ultra talented player and also based upon all the hype we've been hearing for the past year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to score 30 every game ... but I am expecting his athleticism and skill to standout more.

One thing I've noticed is that he is pretty much playing below the rim. He's had chances to explode for dunks but just lays it up instead. I don't know if that's due to lack of confidence or if the explosion just isn't there.
Yeah I wondered if he was on some sort of jumping restriction. He looks like ZBo out there.

I am surprised we haven’t seen Giles through down a hard dunk.

Last edited:
I would not feel comfortable if Mason is the only backup PG on the roster in October.
Yeah honestly I consider myself to be lenient but this would be unforgivable in my mind if Vlade risks having Mason be the backup.

The thought of Fox going down would just be such a catastrophe, it just seems bizarre to think a pro team would risk that with the stakes. plus how much $$$ do they even have allocated to the PG position??? It's a pittance. Fox's deal and Mason for a mil???

Bam Abedeyo is a baller! Harry almost had a triple double!

Fun game, not the least bit disappointed, Nobody got hurt!

It was baby boy’s first Kings game! (Attached)
How are you counting Harry’s triple double????

I show
11 points, 12 boards, 1 assist and one block.

Perhaps your counting 7 turnovers or 7 personal fouls??

Yeah honestly I consider myself to be lenient but this would be unforgivable in my mind if Vlade risks having Mason be the backup.

The thought of Fox going down would just be such a catastrophe, it just seems bizarre to think a pro team would risk that with the stakes. plus how much $$$ do they even have allocated to the PG position??? It's a pittance. Fox's deal and Mason for a mil???
Honestly i would run Fox as starting PG and stagger Bogi so that he is playing lead guard with the second unit. That would open up more minutes for Buddy and maybe a Temple or Shumpert at SG.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you misread my post or confused me with someone else. I said I expect him to be better, better than ok. He played well in the first game with Fox and had two stinkers.
You might want to re-read my first paragraph, which was addressing your first sentence:

I’d rather my 2nd overall pick ball out in SL.

The purpose of summer league, though, is to assess players and determine their strengths and weaknesses, no? I'd much rather somebody show those warts in summer league so they can be addressed and corrected. This wasn't even REAL summer league. It was 3 games squeezed in before Vegas right after players had signed.

If Bagley had tore it up all three games and people were excited, there would invariably be those who made the "don't get excited, it's only summer league" comments. All the hype around him pretty sealed the deal that he wasn't going to please everybody no matter what he did or didn't do.

I expect him to get progressively better and to learn from his mistakes.
I would take the good performance and “it’s only summer league” comment than this crap any day of the week.

Last edited:
Nobody's forcing you to take anything. You have no idea how distraught I am that my post failed to meet your expectations.
I am sorry if I caused any distraught to you. I am just annoyed when people tried to use summer league performance doesn’t matter to defend for MB3. For what I see it’s more cocerning than that, combine it with the talent development we did in recent years doesn’t cheer me up for one bit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I am sorry if I caused any distraught to you. I am just annoyed when people tried to use summer league performance doesn’t matter to defend for MB3. For what I see it’s more cocerning than that, combine it with the talent development we did in recent years doesn’t cheer me up for one bit.
I'm not exactly sure who you're referring to because under the current Joerger/Divac regime player development hasn't exactly been a problem unless you're of the opinion that Willie Caulie Stein would've been an all-star had it not been for Vlade's meddling or something. Malachi kinda got forced out via a numbers crunch at the SG position. Papa is, well, Papa. Skal is still on the team and, to my knowledge, appears to be benefitting from being coached by our staff. At the end of the day, you can try to polish a turd but it's still a turd.

Hahahahaha... I mean, I assume you are being serious.

Defend MB3? Look. I was a Doncic guy but this is just laughable. He is a 19-year-old draft pick that played for us in 3 summer league games. We aren't even on the level of having to defend his performance yet.

I'm so sorry that some early training camp games that got commercialized and being broadcasted on TV didn't cheer you up one bit.

In my interim (many family interuptions) watching the last two games, Mason was late every time he threw a lob which most of the time got intercepted for a turnover. He also most often when driving for the basket would just lower his head and not see wide open 2 pr 3 point shooters and then get tied up when 4 defenders would surround him and cause a turnover. I expected much more improvement from his this season. As someone earlier mentioned, his "hero ball" tendencies interupted the offensive flow of the game.

Go Kings in Las Vegas, show improvement!!!

I'm not exactly sure who you're referring to because under the current Joerger/Divac regime player development hasn't exactly been a problem unless you're of the opinion that Willie Caulie Stein would've been an all-star had it not been for Vlade's meddling or something. Malachi kinda got forced out via a numbers crunch at the SG position. Papa is, well, Papa. Skal is still on the team and, to my knowledge, appears to be benefitting from being coached by our staff. At the end of the day, you can try to polish a turd but it's still a turd.
But a shiny turd!

Yeah back-up point Guard might be a bigger need than SF. The Kings point guards just can’t run an offense or find an open player in their spot.
God forbid Fox misses any time, also Derrick Jones can sure thunder down a dunk, those two slams he had were god level. The thing that most impressed me about Harry today is how quick he decides what he's going to do weather it's pass or shoot he will be good for ball movement that's for sure which is refreshing after seeing guys like Skal/KK/WCS take half an hour before pivoting and making a choice.

Last edited: