French Kings fans in Sactown

Hi guys !
Longtime french Kings fan here and I will come to Sacramento next week with 3 other "twitter-friends" Kings fans.
We will attend 3 games at G1C (Sixers, Raptors, Pelicans).

I need your advices :
- What are the things to do in town ?
- Where are the good places to eat ?
- Is there a bar or a good place to watch the away game vs Blazers on TV ?

Thank you all !

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bumping this to make sure people see it.

Are you all from out of country, or just you?

I don't live in Sac proper so I may not be the best for suggesting local color. Certainly there should be many places to watch the Blazers game, I hope somebody gives a good suggestion.

It appears that you'll be here for quite some time, so I would reiterate my suggestion in Turgenev's post (https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/sf-day-trips.73376/) that Yosemite is hard to pass up. Early March isn't exactly peak waterfall season as the rivers aren't going quite as strong but the Yosemite Valley is still epic and worth the drive especially for someone who might not get another chance. Try a weekday, there should be fewer people.

I'm not much of one for "fine" dining, but there are a few Sacramento traditions that you might want to try.
The Buckhorn Grill in downtown Sac (1801 L St) is an offshoot of the famous Buckhorn Steakhouse about 30-40 miles away in Winters. The specialty is tri-tip steak, and they have a relatively inexpensive tri-tip sandwich that is a must-have.

Squeezeburger (formerly Squeeze Inn, 1630 K St) is a pretty famous burger made with a large "skirt" of fried cheese - this thing gets on all the travel foodie TV shows. If nothing else it's another "experience" - I know a lot of people who swear by it, but while the burger was good I didn't think the cheese skirt was anything special. Still, worth a try if you have a chance since so many people do like it.

Also, don't miss a chance to eat at one of Sacramento's many taquerias. There is a large population of immigrants from Mexico in the Central Valley, so the food at the taquerias is authentic and amazing. I can't really recommend a specific one, so if nobody else has a favorite, just scope around and find one nearby - the less fancy it looks, the better the food will be.

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestions.

All 4 of us are coming from France.
I personally already went twice to California and visisted each time Yosemite : I just love it. I don't know if the 3 other will be interested though...

Anyway, thank you again for your advices !

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
To follow up on the Captain's post, definitely read the thread he linked to.

Also, there are actually a lot of really good restaurants in Sacramento, depending on what you like and what you want to spend. Places like:

Mulvaney B&L
Cafeteria 15L
(definitely check out the restrooms here if you go. ;))
Tower Café
The Porch
Hook and Ladder Manufacturing Company

The Flaming Grill Café has some varying burger meat options, including Wagyu, Elk, Gator, Wild Boar, Camel, and Ostrich - very good food. Pushkins is well known for gluten-free/vegan dining if that is helpful. River City Grill is a local joint in West Sacramento that makes good Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

And numerous, numerous others are all very good with varying price points and dining focus.

Don't miss Rick's Dessert Diner!

If there are some particular food choices you want to explore, let us know and I'm sure we can provide some recommendations. I live out of town so my knowledge of Sacramento restaurants isn't likely as extensive as others, but the above are all good. I'm sure there are a lot of "hole in the wall" locations for great food that others can provide.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Best Mexican food in Norcal. LA FAVORITA
5940 Florin Rd, Sacramento, CA 95823
The food there is good. At least the chain in general, I haven't been to that location in particular.

Bacon & Butter is tasty for breakfast/lunch. Across the street Momo's Meat Market is the definition of a "hole in the wall" with some very good BBQ.

The food there is good. At least the chain in general, I haven't been to that location in particular.

Bacon & Butter is tasty for breakfast/lunch. Across the street Momo's Meat Market is the definition of a "hole in the wall" with some very good BBQ.
Thats the ONE. They have other locations named "la fiesta" which caters to a different crowd but misses the mark IMO. I recommend the Florin location if any of you find yourself in the south area.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Thats the ONE. They have other locations named "la fiesta" which caters to a different crowd but misses the mark IMO. I recommend the Florin location if any of you find yourself in the south area.
Hmm, there is a "La Favorita Taqueria" restaurant in West Sac (been to it many times when I worked in the area) and I've driven/walked by the one in Elk Grove. I thought I'd been in another too, but it must have been a different place I was thinking of as it isn't showing up on the Google map. I'll check out the one on Florin sometime though!

1583012700565.png

Hmm, there is a "La Favorita Taqueria" restaurant in West Sac (been to it many times when I worked in the area) and I've driven/walked by the one in Elk Grove. I thought I'd been in another too, but it must have been a different place I was thinking of as it isn't showing up on the Google map. I'll check out the one on Florin sometime though!

View attachment 9612
There's a knockoff place on folsom Blvd called "el favorito" lol but surprisingly it's not half bad. There used to be one on Franklin Blvd as well. That reminds me I'm off to the gym.