Free Agency

Ira Winderman: This piece details Portland, Sacramento, Minnesota as the three finalists for Derrick Jones Jr., with Heat, with limit of one-year offer, seemingly out of picture early. Charlotte seemingly factored in before Hayward came into play.

At least we tried to get Derrick Jones Jr.?

Note: Link doesn't work, here is the story from New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/sports/basketball/nba-free-agency-derrick-jones.html

Jones started his first meeting, with representatives of the Sacramento Kings on a video conference call at 6:28 p.m.
“What’d you think?” Turner asked when it ended.

“If they’re going to let me play and let me be me,” Jones said, “then I’m with it … if the number’s right.”

Ira Winderman: This piece details Portland, Sacramento, Minnesota as the three finalists for Derrick Jones Jr., with Heat, with limit of one-year offer, seemingly out of picture early. Charlotte seemingly factored in before Hayward came into play.

At least we tried to get Derrick Jones Jr.?

Note: Link doesn't work, here is the story from New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/sports/basketball/nba-free-agency-derrick-jones.html

Jones started his first meeting, with representatives of the Sacramento Kings on a video conference call at 6:28 p.m.
“What’d you think?” Turner asked when it ended.

“If they’re going to let me play and let me be me,” Jones said, “then I’m with it … if the number’s right.”
Well that’s encouraging in the sense that he’s exactly the type we should be chasing. And encouraging that this didn’t come out until now. We may need to spice up our pitch, though!

Last edited:
yeah but CHA has an incentive and that’s to move Batum and his contract. What does ATL have that they want to unload and why would the Kings want it back?
in case you missed it, he was screaming bloody murder all last night that we did not work out a deal to get a TPE or a second rounder. All the reports were that ATL did not want Bogi to bring the offer back to the team and pushed him to make a decision. They had a ton of cap space they wanted to use and they threw their weight around, I am not sure why he thinks they would have been eager to cooperate with us, for all we know they stuck it to us for taking Wes for some reason, since arguably there should have been some kind of outreach otherwise.

Charlotte wanted to play ball, it's pretty clear Atlanta wanted to keep the Kings from making an offer to other teams and getting a deal done.

Get back to me when that TPE does something meaningful, because 95%+ of them go unused. And the Kings are under the cap and I think would like to stay there.
Harrison Barnes would fit quite nicely into part of that large TPE that Boston just got in the Hayward sign and trade. ;)

Hey Danny Ainge, how about a Harrison Barnes (and his world championship experience) for one of your future first rounders! HB could slide right into that starting stretch 4 opening you have! ;)

Harrison Barnes would fit quite nicely into part of that large TPE that Boston just got in the Hayward sign and trade. ;)

Hey Danny Ainge, how about a Harrison Barnes (and his world championship experience) for one of your future first rounders! HB could slide right into that starting stretch 4 opening you have! ;)
You're right it does open some options.