Free Agency

View attachment 10246

We'd only have 10 players under contract with that $8.8 mil in cap space, so we'd have to factor in 3 undrafted rookie cap holds (I believe it was 13) which bring the cap space to $6.1 mil (not $8.8 mil). Now if you sign a player, one of those cap holds is released and you get that money "back" to use, but the Kings couldn't go out and outright sign 1 player for $8.8 mil.

I'm also assuming that Haliburton will get 120% of the rookie scale (which I believe is pretty typical), and I'm assuming Hield did not make any of his incentives in his first year thus his cap hit this year would be only base salary. Below are his incentives:

• $500,000: Play 70 Games AND shoot 85%+ from the Free Throw Line (Played 72 Games but shot 84.6% from FT)
  • $500,000: Average less than 2 Turnovers per game (Averaged 2.3 TOs per game)
  • $500,000: Lead the League in 3PM (2nd in League with 271 3PM)
  • $500,000: Have a Defensive Rating of less than 110.5 (Defensive Rating of 114)
  • $500,000: Make the All Star team (Did not make All Star team)
  • $500,000: Make the Playoffs (Did not make Playoffs)
  • $250,000: Make the Second Round of Playoffs (Did not make Second Round of Playoffs)
  • $500,000: Make the Western Conference Finals (Did not make Western Conference Finals)
  • $1,000,000: Make the NBA Finals (Did not make NBA Finals)
yep those additions make Buddy hard to trade to a playoff team at his current salary. It was really a bad contract signed by Vlade. (What else is new).

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, but John Hollinger says Kosta Koufos is back in the US looking for a landing spot. I like Kosta, but not hoping that the Kings provide that landing spot. But is there a whole lot of difference between Kosta and Len?
I would welcome back the Rola-Kostaaaaa.

As much as I love Harry, I honestly find it more disappointing that we are letting Len go. I thought he was a really solid back-up center.
He's getting lots of love. . .and rightfully so

Kevin Chouinard @KLChouinard
Since it is being reported that Alex Len signed a one-year deal, then I think you'd have to say he joined the Tampa Raptors. Also: Len was magnificent for the Kings down the stretch of the last season.

Eric Koreen @ekoreen
This is not a joke: I am writing a column right now, was going through candidates for front court spots, and had Alex Len as my favourite candidate

As much as I love Harry, I honestly find it more disappointing that we are letting Len go. I thought he was a really solid back-up center.
Yeah, and we could use another C. I wonder if this was a lack of interest from the Kings or Len wanted to move on regardless.
While this Bogdan / Buddy ordeal drags on hope we are not losing focus.

Last edited:
Len was fantastic down the stretch. I wonder if Monte had interest in re-signing him or not? With Bagley's injury history we need a couple capable back ups in the fold. Makes you wonder if a Whiteside deal is for real.

I am pretty sure Monte is just trying to clean house. Guys like Len and Baze would be great if we even tried a playoff push but of no use to us next season. I think it's clear the tank is in motion. Which is why Luke is still here too.
It appears that way. I recon Bogdan’s contract dilemma has more to do with what assets he can fetch then his value as a King.

It appears that way. I recon Bogdan’s contract dilemma has more to do with what assets he can fetch then his value as a King.
We really don't know Monte yet, but we do know Vivek, we know the Kings roster, and we know that he won the job by proposing to build around youth and Fox. It's safe to say Bagley was a part of that given what we passed up to draft him, we NEED him to produce this season.

We do know he tried to move Bogi for DDV, and he seems to have picked guys with high defensive potential as well as offensive productivity. I THINK that he probably sold Vivek that he was going to build a team in the vein of what was working in 2018-2019, with more defensive focus to pair with that high octane offense. And so I am pretty sure Bogi is NOT a Monte guy. Neither were Len, Harry, etc. Buddy likely isn't either, due to his defensive lapses. We'll see what happens there.

I am pretty sure Monte is just trying to clean house. Guys like Len and Baze would be great if we even tried a playoff push but of no use to us next season. I think it's clear the tank is in motion. Which is why Luke is still here too.
We still need to fill out our roster though. Our bigs are Bagley (injury prone) Parker (injury prone) belly and Holmes. Len played pretty well and I would have been happy to bring him back.

Alex Len was for the minimum? Dellavedova for the min? Ah come, on!
Alright, we need to know "the plan" now.

Michael Grange @michaelgrange
Alex Len’s deal with Raptors is for 1yr using the remaining MLE which works out to about the same as the minimum -\+ $2.32 million. In 18/19 he averaged 11 ppg and shot 36% from three in 20 mpg. There is no language for a second year.

Kelsey Russo @kelseyyrusso
Matthew Dellavedova and the #Cavs are finalizing a one-year minimum deal, a source confirmed to @TheAthleticCLE.

Alex Len was for the minimum? Ah come, on!

Alex Len’s deal with Raptors is for 1yr using the remaining MLE which works out to about the same as the minimum -\+ $2.32 million. In 18/19 he averaged 11 ppg and shot 36% from three in 20 mpg. There is no language for a second year.
Yikes, should have brought him back on that. Then again, he'll probably be a main rotation piece for them.

Alex Len was for the minimum? Dellavedova for the min? Ah come, on!

Kelsey Russo @kelseyyrusso
Matthew Dellavedova and the #Cavs are finalizing a one-year minimum deal, a source confirmed to @TheAthleticCLE.
you don’t need to know anything. Neither do any of us. I am sure the brand new FO has a plan, and telling you and the rest of the world won’t help anyone but our opposition. Calm down and stop Freaking out over Len and Delly.

I realize that we want to "go young," but losing Giles and Baze yesterday, losing Len today, and losing Bogi tomorrow "stings."
Teams are after Yogi rn, sh__, that's a whole lineup

Len
Giles
Bogi
Baze
Yogi

you don’t need to know anything. Neither do any of us. I am sure the brand new FO has a plan, and telling you and the rest of the world won’t help anyone but our opposition. Calm down and stop Freaking out over Len and Delly.
Thanks, I needed that.
Baze and Len did some good things last year. We still need a defensive center, so it is a blow.

*Edit: Delly is older than I thought (30).

I realize that we want to "go young," but losing Giles and Baze yesterday, losing Len today, and losing Bogi tomorrow "stings."

Len
Giles
Bogi
Baze
Yogi
that is like a 5-77 lineup. Maybe. You are talking about one high level role player, two replacement level (at best) role players and two below replacement level guys. Other than Bogi, these are “just guys” at best. Let’s not worry about getting the “right” replacement level role players until we have something to contend for.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Len
Giles
Bogi
Baze
Yogi
It's a whole lineup, but not an especially good one.

McNair is going to remake the roster in his own vision. There are really only three players I'm confident will be on the roster after the trade deadline: Fox, Bagley, and Haliburton. I'm sure more than just those three will be around, but I figure everybody else is potentially movable.

And it's not like we're short on players. We've got 10 players under contract counting Haliburton, we might match Bogi, there are two second round picks and DQJ (and Guy?) who we control. We had to let somebody go!

Len
Giles
Bogi
Baze
Yogi
Yep, worth about 3-4 wins too. Baze and Len hurt because they are glue guys, the others waive towels. McNair wanted flexibility and this is what it looks like so far. He drafted well perhaps no better time than now to find out.

It's a whole lineup, but not an especially good one.

McNair is going to remake the roster in his own vision. There are really only three players I'm confident will be on the roster after the trade deadline: Fox, Bagley, and Haliburton. I'm sure more than just those three will be around, but I figure everybody else is potentially movable.

And it's not like we're short on players. We've got 10 players under contract counting Haliburton, we might match Bogi, there are two second round picks and DQJ (and Guy?) who we control. We had to let somebody go!
That's right, Justin James is still around too right? Although he got the throw in treatment so maybe he won't be around for long.