Free Agency

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
All this talk about Indiana and Ellis and then signing these SGs seems to point to them wasting this potential deal. Rudy is still in his prime and on arguably the best contract in this new cap, and they are going to waste it on their Ellis crush they've had for years? Who on earth is still on this team that is infatuated with him so much? Chicago is hard up for bigs, and just signed Rondo, and they are shopping Butler. Why on earth would you not heavily pursue him with everything you have?

Rudy + KK for Butler. Throw in anything you want to get that deal done. The team gets one of the league's premiere 2 guards who is 26 years old and locked into a deal. But no! Let's sign a bunch of bench SGs to overpaid deals and then go after a washed-up combo guard who is over 30 and comparable to our current backup PG.

It also looks like they won't retain Curry. If they let him walk, I'm so done with this team and Vlade. I love the coaching pick, but I'm so tired of watching opportunities be wasted by this franchise.
No actually, more recent reports are that we have no interest in Ellis.

And the Bulls are confused, but clearly signalling with Rondo that they are going to try to win soemthing this season, somehow. With their frontcourt gone.

In any case this is Joerger we are seeing here. I doubt we chase any truly big names until next summer. We'll be Cuz and the Cuzateers for a season, try to keep scoring down, beat them with our big guy. He just has to stay healthy this time though, because if we go all in on that approach we'll...well actually come to think about it we can hardly get more helpless than we have been without Cuz. Still, even if this works its a low margin path to victory, so you absolutely need him out there 70+ games, and really hopefully 75+ games if you want to battle your way into the playoffs.

They'll have to grind teams out because the scoring talent isn't there.

Lopez is nowhere near the prolific talent Cousins is, and Gay is better than any 2nd option they've got on the roster. Lin over Collison is debatable but I think you are way underrating Collison on both ends.
I think Lopez and Cousins are pretty close, but Cousins definitely edges him because of his rebounding. However, Lopez is the better defender, and he's a more efficient scorer. I have no doubt in my mind that if you give Lopez nearly 20shots a game, he'd be able to put up at least 25pts too.

I thin their PG and SGs are a lot stronger than ours overall. Lin+Johnson>>>>>Collison+Temple. Crabbe+Bogdanovic>>>Afflalo+McLemore. As you pointed out, the Nets biggest problem is that they currently don't have a #2 option. I think this is where they're hoping Crabbe can come and breakout.

I think their defense is going to be really good, but you're right. They're going to need guys to step up. I think the Nets are going to be fun to watch next year. Lots of younger players who I think can breakout. Linsanity maybe? Emergence of Crabbe? Lock down defense by Hollis-Jefferson? Healthy Brook?

I think they have a real shot at something if everything goes right for them. Great coaching does amazing wonders. Take Brad Stevens with the mediocre Celtics for example. Lopez is better than anyone on their team.

If Gay+KK for Butler was even remotely available don't you think the Kings would have jumped immediately? Chicago probably has no desire to trade their premiere 2-guard for an above average (but far from premiere) and a solid backup.
As far as SF go, Rudy is comparable to Melo in production with half his salary. He's making an absurdly cheap salary in today's cap, and hasn't hit 30 yet. He'll be in his prime for another couple of seasons before declining. Additionally, what bigs are left to sign? Kris Humphries? Splitter? Hawes? McGee? They could go after a guy like Milsap and then throw anybody at C, but as far as bigs go, they'd have to deal or pursue a RFA. Both KK and Rudy are incredible deals which allow more flexibility for them to make more moves.

Additionally, this front office leaks more than the titanic, so if they were interested in making a deal, we would have heard about it (even if Chicago laughed them off the call).

And if Curry walking is the breaking point with this franchise after the years of inept decisions... I don't even know what to say to that one other than Curry isn't worth that emotion. He's a solid 14th man at best on a decent team.
I recall hearing similar sentiments about Thomas when he was traded. I'm not saying Curry is going to be an all star one day, but he's exactly what this team needs right now in a scrappy guard who can put in effort on defense and can shoot better than any other backcourt player they have on the roster.

Er...Rudy is nothing if not professional. And long.

But he's really too much of those things. He's also a little soft and seemingly satisfied just being a pro. Doesn't seem to like to get his hands dirty. If Joerger is going to come in and ask guys to lay it all out and sacrifice their bodies....that's not really Rudy. He's an undeniable pro. He'll give you a professional high skill outing. But he's not going to be into any of this radical scrappy battler stuff. He's got a career to think of.
And you spelled out the dynamic that I was trying to convey. Still he's not gone yet but I suspect that it's a matter of time once teams get done with FA's

I think Lopez and Cousins are pretty close, but Cousins definitely edges him because of his rebounding. However, Lopez is the better defender, and he's a more efficient scorer. I have no doubt in my mind that if you give Lopez nearly 20shots a game, he'd be able to put up at least 25pts too.

I thin their PG and SGs are a lot stronger than ours overall. Lin+Johnson>>>>>Collison+Temple. Crabbe+Bogdanovic>>>Afflalo+McLemore. As you pointed out, the Nets biggest problem is that they currently don't have a #2 option. I think this is where they're hoping Crabbe can come and breakout.

I think their defense is going to be really good, but you're right. They're going to need guys to step up. I think the Nets are going to be fun to watch next year. Lots of younger players who I think can breakout. Linsanity maybe? Emergence of Crabbe? Lock down defense by Hollis-Jefferson? Healthy Brook?

I think they have a real shot at something if everything goes right for them. Great coaching does amazing wonders. Take Brad Stevens with the mediocre Celtics for example. Lopez is better than anyone on their team.
You just lost all credibility with me. I went to Stanford at the same time as Lopez. I have always rooted hard for both twins in the hopes that they would do well for my school. You will not find a bigger Lopez supporter.

And I find your comments that Lopez and Boogie are "pretty close," with boogie being the better rebounder and Lopez apparently being better than or equal to boogie at everything else, to be the most ridiculous and asinine thing I have ever read on this board. I will gladly skip over your comments from now on. Either you have no clue or you are just purposely trolling.

I think Crabbe is ready to breakout from Lillard/McCollum's shadows. I think the main reason why the Blazers chose not to match was because of this. They wanted to give him a chance to be his own player. He can do that in Brooklyn.

I think the Nets have a very nice team:
Lin/Johnson
Crabbe/Bogdanovic/Ellington
Hollis-Jefferson/LeVerte
Booker/McCullough
Lopez/?

Their PG and SGs are better than ours. Lopez can is just as talented as Cousins(when healthy). If they get solid C depth, I think they're better than us next year.
This is the NBA and if you're good at what you do, teams want to keep you and they don't care about anyone being under anyone's shadow. If you're good, you will show it no matter who you play with. The reason why they will not match is because he's become incredibly expensive and they have a certain 2 guard that they will most likely max coming up rather quickly. Not to mention they are still in the hunt for Gasol (last I heard anyway). He's become too expensive for them. Not because they wanted him to break out on another team. Should have signed and traded him then to at least get something in return.

I love what vlade is doing....this team will breakout this year and then be able to sign better talent following years as we shrug off the shadows of the past on organization.

Temple and Afflalo will be big defensive upgrade to help us not get blown off the court by the slew of all star level gaurds in the west while Cuz obliterates teams in offensive side of the ball...i love it

No problem keeping Gay at this point or trading gim to phx for knight....

If Gay stays though he needs to be moved to 6th man role...besides loosing a step and lack of intensity on both ends of floors, the main reason is he is best used as a go to scorer but is clearly not a better option than Cuz...as 6th man he comes in when Cuz tires and carries scoring load so the drop off on O is not so dramatic....best way to use him in my opinion....much like NO did with anderson....i dont care if Gay doesnt like it at first. Wins for team is what matters

Last edited:
You just lost all credibility with me. I went to Stanford at the same time as Lopez. I have always rooted hard for both twins in the hopes that they would do well for my school. You will not find a bigger Lopez supporter.

And I find your comments that Lopez and Boogie are "pretty close," with boogie being the better rebounder and Lopez apparently being better than or equal to boogie at everything else, to be the most ridiculous and asinine thing I have ever read on this board. I will gladly skip over your comments from now on. Either you have no clue or you are just purposely trolling.
I've actually been using his comments as opposite/bizarro testimonials, and they've been pretty reliable.
Whenever he doesn't like something/one, it means that thing/person is probably good, and vice versa.

Rondo off to Chicago on a two year $28 million contract. Should be able to help the Bulls with his passing, and with their defensive capability they can make up for him playing lacklustre defense. Fair price too.

So currently we have Darren Collison as starting PG and Garrett Temple who can rotate in at PG. There surely has to be irons in the fire to get the Pg position upgraded or at least the rotation solidified if we are rolling with Collison as our starter.
This version of the Bulls is not the Thibbs version that played defense. PGs Rondo andmCalderon are not good defensively. And Hoiberg is a pace guy more concerned with the offensive side of the ball. I think the Bulls have screwed themselves letting Thibbs go.

This version of the Bulls is not the Thibbs version that played defense. PGs Rondo andmCalderon are not good defensively. And Hoiberg is a pace guy more concerned with the offensive side of the ball. I think the Bulls have screwed themselves letting Thibbs go.
I'd tend to agree that firing Thibbs for Hoiberg wasn't a great move because he doesn't seem a natural fit for them. But they are in transition now so perhaps he'll make his mark on them like Thibbs did.

They have even further screwed themselves by making the mistake that so many teams do and that's not blowing it up when they should. They are clearly done and finished. They have lost everyone except Butler and have now picked up Rondo... a passing PG with no one to pass it to besides Butler and Taj. I really don't understand what they are doing. Maybe in their confusion, we can get Butler out of it!

When did this become a Lopez vs. Cousins debate?

I said Lopez can be just as talented as Cousins when he's healthy. Wtf with the uproar? Is Lopez not one of the most talented big mans in the NBA? I pointed out that the biggest thing Cousins had over Lopez was rebounding. Isn't that true?

If you really wanted to make this a Cousins vs. Lopez debate, that's another thread. Sorry for saying a 7fter who averages 20 and 8 is talented.

I think when you said they were pretty close, then offered several areas where Lopez was better.
I was looking at the Nets free agency moves, because this is you know... the Free Agency thread. I compared them to the Kings moves and roster...because you know...this is a Kings fansite.

Saying Lopez is almost as good or can be just as talented as Cousins does not mean Lopez is better than Cousins. There's an ignore button somewhere though. Won't be mad if you use it.

K

KingsFan80

Last year in free agency we got Marco, Rondo and Koufos, This year we got Affalo, Tolliver, Matt Barnes and Garret Temple??...Ugggggggh.