Free Agency

so no Curry, no Rondo...I guess we will play DC 44 minutes or so, unless he is suspended to start the season, then we shall play with no PG and have two SG's starting instead...fantastic.

Only way this is ok is if it means we're getting Bledsoe or something. Otherwise I don't get that comment in Woj's tweet about the amount of guards we have make it unappealing.....WHAT GUARDS???

Kings interested in Matty Ice. I can see us ditching Gay and/or Koufos for a point and us going with Matty Ice/Casspi at the SF spot. I like it. It gives our team a much needed edge. We need more players that give a ****. Gay is too complacent imo
Who's Matty Ice? I only know of Matt Ryan.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't mind. I don't think Curry is very good and the name on the back of his jersey gets him opportunities players of equal caliber don't receive. And Curry isn't and was never a PG. He was lousy when he had to actually run and create for himself. A few late season games may get him paid, but I don't buy it.

Big effin deal. Seth is fools gold. He's was a nice piece off the bench sure, I just don't get the whole sky is falling crap.
That's not the point here. The point is two PGs from last year are no longer on this team with the third one being an undersized guard, who most likely will be suspended to start the season resulting in currently having no PGs and therefore allowing the Kings to play SG's at the PG position.

Not all that upset over not having Curry. His instant offense was nice, but I can see that we are building a team that won't need that kind of player to be competitive. So if you fill that spot with a solid defender than can guard multiple spots like Temple it should lend to more stability out there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Informative post... Why do we need to hit the cap before finalizing trades?
If we drop salary in the trades, we don't. But if we increase salary in the trades, that increased salary would mean less cap space. So you use the cap space first, then you use the "traded player exception" to take on additional salary in the trades and exceed the cap. Can't work it the other way, if salaries would go up due to the trades.

Big effin deal. Seth is fools gold. He's was a nice piece off the bench sure, I just don't get the whole sky is falling crap.
He can knock down 3s, play pretty good D, and wouldn't be too expensive. Being that it's not easy to attract free agents here, we should probably try to keep the young players we have that show they can play pretty decent.

One thing this offseason potentially tells me about Joerger is that he must have faith in Cousins, Cauley-Stein, Casspi & Collison being a solid core.

Given the trade rumors about Rudy, the non-interest in Ronfo or other FA point guards and the signing of system guys that will be good role players but not major difference makers it seems like coach thinks he can win with those guys and Afflalo as the starting five.

Also seems like the emphasis is on getting good character/team guys who are also veterans that know their roles.
What I do like is we certainly aren't going to be a "ball-stopping" team like we've been the past 3 years with Rudy on board (assuming he gets traded). Joerger said he wants the bal

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sacramento Kings–‏@Kings_Spain
Bogdan Boganovic has expressed his
desire to play in the NBA next season. @LeaderOfHorde , Here we are waiting
This would be insanely good for us. Bogdanovic would be basically gifting us at least $30M over four years. I can't even imagine what he's thinking.

That's not the point here. The point is two PGs from last year are no longer on this team with the third one being an undersized guard, who most likely will be suspended to start the season resulting in currently having no PGs and therefore allowing the Kings to play SG's at the PG position.

What makes you think Vlade is done?

We will have a quality starting point guard by the end of the week, I have no doubt.

Nobody seemed to want Rondo back and Seth is a back up guard and probably a 3rd stringer on a lot of teams.

Only way this is ok is if it means we're getting Bledsoe or something. Otherwise I don't get that comment in Woj's tweet about the amount of guards we have make it unappealing.....WHAT GUARDS???
We probably view him as a undersized shooting guard and not a point guard. At shooting guard we just signed Afflalo and Temple. We still have Mclemore. We drafted Richardson. We have the rights to Bogdanovic.
Also in this market Seth would have probably gotten a offer we didn't want to match anyway. So why not make it easier for him and us and just make him an UFA.

Right now we are pretty much set except for point guard. Will be interesting to see what we do next

We probably view him as a undersized shooting guard and not a point guard. At shooting guard we just signed Afflalo and Temple. We still have Mclemore. We drafted Richardson. We have the rights to Bogdanovic.
Also in this market Seth would have probably gotten a offer we didn't want to match anyway. So why not make it easier for him and us and just make him an UFA.

Right now we are pretty much set except for point guard. Will be interesting to see what we do next
You could be right. I guess we just gotta sit back and wait for the rest of the moves to really judge.

Rescinding the qualifying for Seth Curry is disappointing and from the looks of it he won't be coming back. I suppose it was to be expected with Ben McLemore on the roster, us drafting Richardson, and signing Arron Afflalo and Garrett Temple. Personally I'd rather have seen Curry brought back than us sign Temple, but Temple's size and defense might prove useful in the rotation on limited minutes. And even if we hadn't signed Temple, it is unlikely Curry would have seen major minutes at SG with Afflalo and McLemore in front of him. I guess he could have gone in at PG, but as is stands, it isn't a surprising move to see him not return.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Losing Curry isn't the type of thing that would keep me up nights but it also doesn't make much sense.

Collison/Curry/Temple is a PG rotation that has a serviceable starter and then a choice of a shooter/scorer or a defender off the bench.

Now? The Kings still have a hole at PG especially given DC's likely suspension.

All I can think is:

(1) Maybe Bogdanovic is coming over and that would eat up the cap room and roster spot

or

(2) There's a trade in the works that would leave Curry on the outside looking in. I doubt this because you'd wait until the deal was accepted for that kind of move

or

(3) Curry really didn't want to return and Vlade was amenable to helping him move on.

or

(4) The team is really high on Isaiah Cousins. Hard to believe they'd pick a late 2nd round rookie over a guy who showed he belonged in the NBA but I'm grasping for some answer here.

Unless the Kings just didn't have the caproom none of these make a lot of sense to me.