Free Agency

Would you be willing to eat Pekovic and 24 mil over 2 years for Rubio? He will at least be a (hobbled) veteran body to push papa. Ship KK Gay and Ben, and they send back their first round pick.

That eats up a lot of salary, but Pekovic will expire when Cuz is due for a raise.

I would say it is not better or worse. Pretty much the same. We didn't lose any scoring, maybe have a little more from Affalo but that is it.
I don't want to put words into your mouth and say you are very worried about the scoring but it seems like you might be? If it's a little better than last year (i think it might be too) then I see that as reason to be optimistic! We scored the third most points per game last year and were almost smack in the middle at #14 in Hollinger's offensive efficiency rating. I find it hard to believe we will be worse than last year too, especially since it seemed like the team checked out which makes me think there is a bit of room for improvement. This team will win on the defensive side if it does win, and we made good moves to achieve that.

I concede that it's seems pretty obvious the best place to upgrade and get another star scorer + creator would be at the PG position. Easier said than done though. If it was that easy to balance a roster and get stars every team would do it. The reality is that it's nearly impossible and requires a bit of luck. The kind of move many are hoping to come is one that you are ecstatic about happening, but also one that shouldn't cause you to lay blame if it doesn't materialize.

Would you be willing to eat Pekovic and 24 mil over 2 years for Rubio? He will at least be a (hobbled) veteran body to push papa. Ship KK Gay and Ben, and they send back their first round pick.

That eats up a lot of salary, but Pekovic will expire when Cuz is due for a raise.
Did you say take on Pek for Magic Johnson or Rubio?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's a fair deal (especially given the 1st round pick) but Rubio doesn't seem to fit what Joerger/Divac are looking to do and it gives up the only other King that can create his own offense for a PG who can't shoot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Thing is Thibs went out and just dropped 3 and 22 on Cole Aldrich, who FINALLY got paid after years of being better than many of the guys who were being paid. So the 'Thibs needs a backup center and so will give us Rubio for Kosta" theory kind of just went out the door.

I like the aggressive fantasy of Bledsoe, but think that possibility flew the coop on draft night -- when it was announced we had traded with them I hoped it was a package to get him back. Now no reason to take our vets.

The Beverley possibility seems to me to not be impossible given D'Antoni as coach. Maybe. Rudy could be his smallball 4/Marion.

The Tyreke possibility interests me, but not sure it would fit with a push toward ball movement, which is a phrase that should roughly be translated as "make sure all the crapty players get to touch the ball as much as their betters". Not Reke's thing, and part of Gentry's mistake just last year was trying to force that issue.

I think most realistic is probably the McLemore for Westbrook trade, that should leave both sides winners. Or, well, at least one side.

Did you say take on Pek for Magic Johnson or Rubio?
Yeah, but I couldn't really see enough to offer without taking back a dud. Hence, they toss in a likely middle first rounder.

It's a fair deal (especially given the 1st round pick) but Rubio doesn't seem to fit what Joerger/Divac are looking to do and it gives up the only other King that can create his own offense for a PG who can't shoot.
Afflalo can create his own offense. Knicks fans didn't like it, but I remember reading he had the league's highest fg% on fadeaways.

I like the aggressive fantasy of Bledsoe, but think that possibility flew the coop on draft night -- when it was announced we had traded with them I hoped it was a package to get him back. Now no reason to take our vets.
I'll be delighted with either Bledsoe or Knight. Knight a better shooter on a slightly cheaper and a contract that extends one year longer into 2020, which is now looking like peanuts compared to all these massive deals. As I've said in a previous post, they Booker who WILL be starting at the 2 and Knight who has made it known that he refuses to come off the bench. Someone is getting moved in Phoenix and I hope to sweet baby jesus it's us again that will be their partner. Gay would have to be the centerpiece from our side of the deal.

Yeah, but I couldn't really see enough to offer without taking back a dud. Hence, they toss in a likely middle first rounder.

Afflalo can create his own offense. Knicks fans didn't like it, but I remember reading he had the league's highest fg% on fadeaways.
It has to be a 3 team trade, not possible with just the two of us.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My somewhat irrational hope there is that talks began in draft night but that an additional team or two was going to be required to make it work and the time limit during the draft made that impossible to work out in time.

It's my fantasy and I'm sticking to it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Rubio not a good defender anymore?
Rubio is a solid to good defender. Can struggle at times with on ball defense but is a good team defender with quick hands who plays the passing lanes well and has good understanding of that end of the floor.

But the reason I don't think he's a good fit is that the Kings seems to be grabbing guys that are good fits for a team that moves the ball and shoots well from outside.

Rubio is ball dominant and a poor shooter. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to fit the direction they are taking.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'll be delighted with either Bledsoe or Knight. Knight a better shooter on a slightly cheaper and a contract that extends one year longer into 2020, which is now looking like peanuts compared to all these massive deals. As I've said in a previous post, they Booker who WILL be starting at the 2 and Knight who has made it known that he refuses to come off the bench. Someone is getting moved in Phoenix and I hope to sweet baby jesus it's us again that will be their partner. Gay would have to be the centerpiece from our side of the deal.
I don't mind the Knight idea. Not amused by the statement of ego, but even a guy who was thought to have some defense in him at one point. Obviously another shooter, and with enough size he and Collison can run some 2-PG stuff when we lack Cuz and need to go to full chuck mode to keep scoring. because Knight does like to chuck. Highly erratic too. Monster games or Chuck Hayes would kick my ass at 1 on 1 games, often back to back.

Note however, Afflalo also threw a temper tantrum last year when Rambis benched him (although its possible Rambis benched him just to inspire that reaction because they were trying to make him opt out). And last year all season long collison was talking about how people had forgotten about what a swell starter he was. Maybe him getting arrested might take the starch out of that argument, and since he would be starting the season suspended allow him to continue coming off the bench in natural fashion rather than being upset he wasn't starting.

so far Vlade has...

Upgraded our head coach in a big way.
Traded Marco for a 1st rounder (still blows my mind).
Drafted the guys Vivek he wanted.
Let Rondo walk.
Didn't drag this team into one of the stupidest first couple days of any free agency.
Afflalo>McLemore
Tolliver and his deal >>>> over Ryno and his deal (my opinion)
Upgraded the perimeter defense with Temple and Barnes.

What am I missing? Oh and none of the moves were leaked by our FO ahead of time!

Hell, I think Vlade has done an exceptional job so far! (Key words there is so far. This man is not done.)

As of right this minute, the only big loss for us from last season was Rondo and some would even debate that. Acy was a nice solid energy guy off the bench. Bellineli had the worst season of his professional career last year.

So based on what we lost and what we gained we should be a better team as of right this minute. This of course assumes that key pieces like Cousins, Rudy and Collison stay injury free and play most of the games.

C: Cousins / Koufos / Papagiannis
PF: Cauley-Stein / Tolliver / Labissiere
SF: Gay / Casspi / Barnes / Butler
SG: Afflalo / McLemore / Richardson
PG: Collison / Temple / Cousins

That is a nicely balanced team that is maybe a touch thin in the backcourt. If we end up trading Rudy or Kosta, a lot will depend on what we get in return.

EDIT: Forgot about "the second Cousins"

Last edited:
As of right this minute, the only big loss for us from last season was Rondo and some would even debate that. Acy was a nice solid energy guy off the bench. Bellineli had the worst season of his professional career last year.

So based on what we lost and what we gained we should be a better team as of right this minute. This of course assumes that key pieces like Cousins, Rudy and Collison stay injury free and play most of the games.

C: Cousins / Koufos / Papagiannis
PF: Cauley-Stein / Tolliver / Labissiere
SF: Gay / Casspi / Barnes / Butler
SG: Afflalo / McLemore / Richardson
PG: Collison / Temple

That is a nicely balanced team that is maybe a touch thin in the backcourt. If we end up trading Rudy or Kosta, a lot will depend on what we get in return.
Barnes, Casspi, Rudy, WCS, Temple all have some multi position ability too. I leave out Cousins because it doesn't really matter if you call it a 4 or 5 its who he is paired with who matters.

I think we are gonna get D'Angelo Russell for Ben and Kosta.
The way we are beefing up the SG spot with Barnes/Affalo/Richardson/Temple (PG-SG), I'm guessing will be more likely packaged with KK.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What team needs a proven SF and a backup center and has a top 15 pg?
The Bulls could use Gay. He would be a huge shot in the arm to their offense, and there are several players that could help, and be a part of the Kings future. We could even take back Calderon who is on an expiring contract which would open up money for a year from now.

The more the FA season proceeds, the more of a talent deficit I see with this team. There has to be an extremely good trade in the offing to make up for FA; otherwise, it's going to be another re-run of a season.
last seasons awful run and misdirection had little to do with talent level

No way to do that, even if we wanted to, which I would imagine we don't.

Burned though our cap room at this point, so the rest of the tweaking will have to be through trade.
Well Deron signed a 10M deal with Dallas. That's not cap burning salary. If he signed with us at 11M, if would be a good signing, IMO.
So onward to another PG search, I think.
Jennings/Jack maybe? Or probably a trade with either Ben or Kosta coz I would hate to see Rudy go.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If we are trading Gay, we need to get a starting and scoring point guard like Bledsoe or knight.

If you lose Gay's scoring, the starting point guard has to be capable of averaging at least 18ppg.
Collison averaged 17.7 the last two months and 14 behind rondo. Year before he was at 16 before injury. I think Darren can muster up another fg to get that 18

Well Deron signed a 10M deal with Dallas. That's not cap burning salary. If he signed with us at 11M, if would be a good signing, IMO.
So onward to another PG search, I think.
Jennings/Jack maybe? Or probably a trade with either Ben or Kosta coz I would hate to see Rudy go.
I believe we are out of cap space now. Only PG will be min contract or trade.