Free Agency

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Warriors have to dump a lot of salary. Probably both Bogut and Iguodala. Durant's deal is about $27 mil/yr for two years. The second year is a player option (is he going to the Lakers next year with Westbrook?).
No, they only have to dump Bogut. And they will. Teams are already lining up to take him off their hands.

In all honesty this feels more like a Nash/Howard to the Lakers thing than a Lebron to the Heat thing.

You can have too much of a good thing and I'm not quite sure how their lineups are going to work seeing as how Bogut and Barnes are pretty much gone for this to happen.

Green
KD
Iguodola
Klay
Steph

On paper, four all-stars and a finals MVP but there's only one ball and apparently no one to guard a big man.

Anyways.... Rudy/Kosta/Ben for Westbrook?
As I said, the Warriors can match on Barnes and just barely be above the luxury tax level. Filling out the roster will put them likely $8-10 million over it but I doubt they care. I'm calling it now - the Warriors match Barnes offer sheet.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hypothetical: does OKC blow it up? Westbrook available?
I doubt it. They were a playoff team when Durant essentially missed a full year with injuries. They won't be contenders now, but I still see them as a 4-6 seed in the west. Now if Westbrook demands out, then maybe. But in that case I don't think Rudy/Koufos/McLemore is even considered.

No, they only have to dump Bogut. And they will. Teams are already lining up to take him off their hands.

As I said, the Warriors can match on Barnes and just barely be above the luxury tax level. Filling out the roster will put them likely $8-10 million over it but I doubt they care. I'm calling it now - the Warriors match Barnes offer sheet.
I think after dumping Bogut they will probably go for matching Ezeli's offers and not for Barnes.

I doubt it. They were a playoff team when Durant essentially missed a full year with injuries. They won't be contenders now, but I still see them as a 4-6 seed in the west. Now if Westbrook demands out, then maybe. But in that case I don't think Rudy/Koufos/McLemore is even considered.
I was thinking more on the lines of him going somewhere else and another team dumping their above-average PG on the market to create space.

K

KingsFan80

I've always been pretty indifferent to the Warriors though I love watching Curry as he's a generational talent and I've always rooted for Durant and the Thunder. But now? I absolutely hope that team fails. Arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the NBA jumping ship from his team that nearly went to the WCFs to join up with a team that just set the NBA record for wins in the regular season? Durant seemed above the "Big Three", teaming up with other superstars nonsense and much more like the Larry Bird, MJ style of "join you? Naw, I'm going to beat you" mindset. With the Lakers a shambles for the moment I've just found the team I'll be rooting the hardest against.
I hate the Warriors more than any team in sports. The difference between them and the Lakers --the Lakers always have a lot of fans, regardless of record--ten years ago the Warriors had like five total fans, now everyone acts like they were always a Warriors fan

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know everyone's ready to crown the Warriors but they're going to lose Bogut and Ezeli, their two best big men. As good and Draymond and Durant are, you can't expect them to defend centers all day. And with this current cap climate, good luck getting anyone good at veteran minimum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh now I know, why we only signed stopgap contracts.....:cool:
There was a reason I started that Bogut thread a few days ago.

His contract is small enough you could swap him straight across for Kosta. As in:

Congratulations on a successful trade
Due to Golden State being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Golden State could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.

Due to Sacramento being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Sacramento could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.

This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Trade ID #6703259
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.

Golden State Warriors Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Kosta Koufos
27 year old, 7-0, 265 lb C from Ohio State
No games yet played in 2016-2017
Outgoing Players
Andrew Bogut
31 year old, 7-0, 260 lb C from Utah
Sacramento Kings Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Andrew Bogut
Outgoing Players
Kosta Koufos

Why Warriors: burnt bridges with Bogut, need to shave salary, locked in cost assurances in crazy market with Kosta
Why Kings: better player, tough/skilled, ending contract fits with our desire for caproom next year

I'm not convinced the Warriors will let Barnes go. Lacob is kind of nuts that way. If they move Bogut they have the caproom to sign Durant. Then they could exceed the cap to sign Barnes using his Bird Rights (I believe) and it only puts them a bit above the luxury tax threshold. And whether they match on Barnes or not, they'll still have to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts and exceptions because they'll be at or above the salary cap either way.

Curry/Livingston
Thompson/McCaw
Barnes/Iguodala/Looney
Durant/
Green/Jones/

It's an absolutely terrifying starting five but unless they'll need to convince some solid vets to take minimum deals to fill out the bench.
I'm loosing touch with these figures. In my understanding the Warriors have $78 mil committed money for the coming season. So, as you say, dumping Bogut would just barely take them there. Add to that Harrisons max and Ezeli, who also must get a very nice deal, they will be way above the cap. Next year they must give a max to Steph as well, which will paralyze them. They could have potentially 5 players on max deal next season if they bring Harrison back!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kevin Durant is such a wuss. This is worse than Lebron's decision. Instantly most hateable player in the NBA. The only way this will turn out well is if they still lose to Lebron. Lol.
It really is worse. Its mid-career ring-chasing for a supposed MVP type guy. You're supposed to be an impact player, and your grand total of bragging right if you win a title is that you were slightly better than Harrison Barnes. What a champ. All heart.

His contract is small enough you could swap him straight across for Kosta. As in:

Due to Golden State being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Golden State could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.

Due to Sacramento being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Sacramento could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.

Trade ID
Trade ID #6703259
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Incoming Players
Kosta Koufos
Outgoing Players
Andrew Bogut
Incoming Players
Andrew Bogut
Outgoing Players
Kosta Koufos

Why Warriors: burnt bridges with Bogut, need to shave salary, locked in cost assurances in crazy market with Kosta
Why Kings: better player, tough/skilled, ending contract fits with our desire for caproom next year
1. We actually don't have the capspace to pull it off (we have no capspace left).
2. GS needs to shed more cap, they would most likely much rather just give him away for some assets and than match on Ezeli.

Westbrook is going to have a MVP type season this year.

I guess KD forgot he was the one who choked game 6 and 7 vs the Warriors? This is worse than Lebron. KD ALREADY has a finals contending team, but he decides to go leave for a 73W team with 1 ring already.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I doubt it. They were a playoff team when Durant essentially missed a full year with injuries.
Wait, where in the hell are you getting that from? Durant has played in 641 out of a possible 722 games in his career. The only season in which he played in fewer than 88 percent of the games that he could have possibly played in was 2014-15, and the Thunder missed the playoffs that year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think after dumping Bogut they will probably go for matching Ezeli's offers and not for Barnes.
They can't. They had to renounce Ezeli's cap hold to make room for Durant, making him an UFA. And even if they didn't, as a restricted free agent (I believe) they would need to use caproom to match offers for Ezeli and after this they won't have hardly any caproom. But they can match on Barnes because they have his Bird rights and can exceed the cap to sign him. Now, they'll be in super luxury tax land after next season when they have to resign Steph for the max instead of the $12 million he'll make next season but I really don't think Lacob & company care.

I'm loosing touch with these figures. In my understanding the Warriors have $78 mil committed money for the coming season. So, as you say, dumping Bogut would just barely take them there. Add to that Harrisons max and Ezeli, who also must get a very nice deal, they will be way above the cap. Next year they must give a max to Steph as well, which will paralyze them. They could have potentially 5 players on max deal next season if they bring Harrison back!
Ezeli is gone. Period. They renounced his cap hold and he's now unrestricted. So they will likely lose Bogut, Ezeli and Speights along with Barbosa, Rush & Clark unless those guys are willing to come back for minimum deals. They can only resign Barnes because they have his Bird Rights. I'm not saying it would be smart to match, but I think they will.

If they don't match on Barnes they'll be at or very close to the cap limit and only have exceptions and minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

If they match on Barnes they'll be slightly over the luxury tax level and still only have exceptions and minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

If they don't care about a luxury tax bill they can get back Harrison Barnes and have one more quality player as opposed to filling the bench with minimum guys who would likely be ring chasing vets.

Hoepefully the refs don't appreciate this and change their mindset to allow for a more rough game. What are you gonna do now? Allow superstar treatment for...the entire starting 5?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, where in the hell are you getting that from? Durant has played in 641 out of a possible 722 games in his career. The only season in which he played in fewer than 88 percent of the games that he could have possibly played in was 2014-15, and the Thunder missed the playoffs that year.
You're right. I was looking at their record and assumed at 45-37 they made the postseason but they lost the tiebreaker to the Pelicans and missed the playoffs.

They can't. They had to renounce Ezeli's cap hold to make room for Durant, making him an UFA. And even if they didn't, as a restricted free agent (I believe) they would need to use caproom to match offers for Ezeli and after this they won't have hardly any caproom. But they can match on Barnes because they have his Bird rights and can exceed the cap to sign him. Now, they'll be in super luxury tax land after next season when they have to resign Steph for the max instead of the $12 million he'll make next season but I really don't think Lacob & company care.
You're right I just saw that 10 minutes ago they gave up on his rights, but they did have bird rights on him since he played there for 3 years.

I think you might be right now about them matching Barnes... which is a weird move.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It really is worse. Its mid-career ring-chasing for a supposed MVP type guy. You're supposed to be an impact player, and your grand total of bragging right if you win a title is that you were slightly better than Harrison Barnes. What a champ. All heart.
There's also the matter of, for whatever you may think of The Decision, James didn't go to a team that was the one-year-removed NBA Champions, coming off their second straight trip to the Finals, that had just eliminated him in the playoffs.

If Westbrook gets traded, Kings can try to do it but I don't know if they have confidence they can resign him.

If Miami trades for Westbrook then that may mean they move Dragic and the Kings could be one of the best spots there with Rudy in trade.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Westbrook gets traded, Kings can try to do it but I don't know if they have confidence they can resign him.

If Miami trades for Westbrook then that may mean they move Dragic and the Kings could be one of the best spots there with Rudy in trade.
The only way the Kings would get Westbrook is if Boogie were part of the deal. But now I'm guessing it's near 100% chance that Russ jumps ship after this season. I feel for OKC fans. They had a roster capable of challenging for a title and their superstar decided to take the easy way out.

Almost every champion had a foe they had to battle in the playoffs to finally get over the hump and win a ring. I thought OKC showed they were close to getting past Golden State. This just seems like a gutless move on KD's part. And he's always been one of my favorite non-Kings.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Trade ID
Trade ID #6703259

Incoming Players
Kosta Koufos
Outgoing Players
Andrew Bogut
Incoming Players
Andrew Bogut
Outgoing Players
Kosta Koufos

The Warriors can't accept Koufos' deal. If they dump Bogut for nothing they'll only have a little over $1 million in caproom. Koufos would put them more than $6 million over and unable to sign Durant. They'll be looking to deal Bogut for future picks and/or a rookie on a very cheap deal.