Free Agency

So do you guys think the Kings feel Collisons punishment if any will be minimal. Most teams would renounce the player right away. I may be in the minority but im glad the Kings didnt. Darren has been a class act his whole career and made a mistake that im sure is killing him.
Even Taylor wasn't dumped, and he had a much lower profile than Darren and plead guilty to a misdemeanor. Since Kings seem to be barely concerned by the prospect of starting the season without Collison, I assume, they weighed the risk and consider it minimal.

K

KingsFan80

It's no secret I wanted Crabbe badly, but like I said yesterday, if Vlade truly believes that Bogdan is our SG of the future then there is no reason to spend $15 million a year on a long term deal for a player of the same position. I think Vlade is being wise. He's not just looking at this year.
Hopefully he knows 100% Bogdan is coming

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Current Kings team:

Cousins/Koufos/Papagiannis
Cauley-Stein/Tolliver/Labissiere
Gay/Casspi/Butler
Afflalo/McLemore/Richardson
Collison

Isaiah Cousins is a 2nd pick that could be signed as a 3rd string PG and Seth Curry is still a restricted free agent.

Signing those two would give a 15 man roster so that's one way to go.

I'm on record as not wanting Lance Stephenson in a Kings uniform but given Joerger's experience/familiarity with him if Gay, Koufos and/or McLemore are traded I could see the Kings signing Matt Barnes and/or Lance Stephenson.

I like this approach. Sign Curry and then look at trades for Gay. If none are there, roll into the season with him as the starting SF.

Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins was statistically a very, very good starting five under Malone that was hampered by a historically awful bench and ultimately an impatient/inept front office and ownership group.

Collison/Afflalo/Gay/Cauley-Stein/Cousins could be as good or likely better as a starting unit and then Curry (if resigned), McLemore, Casspi, Tolliver, Koufos, Papagiannis & Acy (if resigned) along with Richardson and Labissiere and possibly Cousins would be a significantly better bench than Sessions, Stauskas, Casspi, Williams and Landry

I do think the Kings need a solid PF though. Tolliver is a decent situational player but I wouldn't want to have to count on him every game.

I'd be fine with that roster rolling into the season but I'm also keen to see if Gay, Koufos and/or McLemore can net other pieces that might fit better. Still holding out slim hope for a trade for Bledsoe and then signing Curry, Matt Barnes and a solid PF - maybe Acy.
Yeah...I am not excited by that line-up. Its just not talented enough. As much of a fan I am of Collison and encouraged I was by Willie's growth, its still blah. If it was the Afflalo of 3-4 years ago we'd have something. If we can move Rudy for Mirotic and McDermott, tossing in one Koufos or Ben, maybe we'd have something. We need more spacing and passing and shooting on the floor. Vlade struck out on Lee and Anderson, now he has to scramble without panic. I think the teams that miss out on Durant and Horford, may be inclined to pull the trigger on Rudy, especially with his contract so friendly relative to these new deals. It could be a Rudy trade happens after KD decides where he is going, so the disappointed teams move on. Hopefully Vlade can exploit that to a degree. I don't know, we need something more substantial to happen.

Last edited:
Now that Rondo is off the board, we need to sign a back-up PG, looks to me that Curry should fit into that role, assuming that DC is now our starter.
Curry would be ideal here. Let the kid get more minutes and show he belongs. I'd like to say the likes of Sloan and Temple are being tossed around for third string purposes, I hope...

K

KingsFan80

Current Kings team:

Cousins/Koufos/Papagiannis
Cauley-Stein/Tolliver/Labissiere
Gay/Casspi/Butler
Afflalo/McLemore/Richardson
Collison

Isaiah Cousins is a 2nd pick that could be signed as a 3rd string PG and Seth Curry is still a restricted free agent.

Signing those two would give a 15 man roster so that's one way to go.

I'm on record as not wanting Lance Stephenson in a Kings uniform but given Joerger's experience/familiarity with him if Gay, Koufos and/or McLemore are traded I could see the Kings signing Matt Barnes and/or Lance Stephenson.

They better hope Bogdan is a good as they think he is going to be if they are content on moving forward with Collison as a starter
We should have gotten Bledsoe or Knight in the deal instead. Can you imagine the excitement right now? I just can't get excited about a SG still playing overseas we might never see

Yeah...I am not excited by that line-up. Its just not talented enough. As much of a fan I am of Collison and encouraged I was by Willie's growth, its still blah. If it was the Afflalo of 3-4 years ago we'd have something. If we can move Rudy for Mirotic and McDermott, tossing in one Koufos or Ben, maybe we'd have something. We need more spacing and passing and shooting on the floor. Vlade stuck out on Lee and Anderson, now he has to scramble without panic. I think the teams that miss out on Durant and Horford, may be inclined to pull the trigger on Rudy, especially with his contract so friendly relative to these new deals. It could be a Rudy trade happens after KD decides where he is going, so the disappointed teams move on. Hopefully Vlade can exploit that to a degree. I don't know, we need something more substantial to happen.
I really think at this point, considering the options, if there is nothing of significance coming back for Gay, try again in February. He is one of the assets you do have on this team and you don't want to continue to give him away for nothing, when I see that Indiana is engaging in trade talks, they have nothing to offer, they aren't offering Myles Turner, Kings don't want Stuckey and Monta, thank god, so who is left really? Maybe a third team needs to be involved here with Kings getting back a first round draft pick or young prospect, if possible.

We should have gotten Bledsoe or Knight in the deal instead. Can you imagine the excitement right now? I just can't get excited about a SG still playing overseas we might never see
I don't doubt that he will come over next season. The question I have is, is his upside warranted enough for Vlade to not have Phoenix include Bledsoe by any means, but I digress.

I've seen a few national writers question why teams didn't load up on draft picks and young FAs this past year when they knew they would be paying 10mm a year for backups.

Pretty sure that's what Vlade did.
I approve of this. Small market teams need as many draft picks as possible. Even if Vlade strikes out on the majority of his draft picks this season, the fact that he tried to attain as many young prospects for the future or for trade assets was a wise move on his part. I like this approach moving forward, now all that needs to fall in place is that Vlade can draft players, slowly building a track record and we can judge him within 3 or 4 seasons.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phoenix may not have been willing to include either one.

And honestly I'm not that interested in Knight. Bledsoe is a different story. A risk due to his injury history but I'd love to have him.

I think in virtually any other town, there would be no excitement over it. In Sacramento, so many are hoping for the second coming of Peja. I'm with you that I'd rather have the two mentioned than his rights.

I didn't see anyone mention
Kings were one of the "aggressive suitors " for Tyler Johnson
According to yahoo sports

How about Spurs sign Seth then trade us Seth curry and patty mills (currently 3 mil) for Kosta.
I am not pleased w/ collisions defense. His offense was good and at the end of last year was really good but I CANNOT overlook his D as starter.

Spurs need a big and don't have much money. We need a pg (win/win).

Would rather Corey Joseph than Sloan or Temple.

Cuz/papa/gudaitits
WCS/tolliver/skal
Gay/casspi/butler
Affalo/bmac/Mala
Mills/collision/curry

And some cap $ left too.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone mention
Kings were one of the "aggressive suitors " for Tyler Johnson
According to yahoo sports

How about Spurs sign Seth then trade us Seth curry and patty mills (currently 3 mil) for Kosta.
I am not pleased w/ collisions defense. His offense was good and at the end of last year was really good but I CANNOT overlook his D as starter.

Spurs need a big and don't have much money. We need a pg (win/win).

Would rather Corey Joseph than Sloan or Temple.
Am I missing something here? is Joseph a FA? I believe he was a solid contributor for Toronto in the playoffs, don't see them moving on from him.