Free Agency

It just occurred to me that Dallas giving Barnes a crippling max deal offer may be a good chance to trade Gay to the Warriors for Iguodala and Livingston. Essentially all these players are on their last contract year (Rudy has a player option). It would be good for both teams. The Warriors do not have to overpay Barnes and preserve their cap flexibility (they have to max Curry next year anyway) and get a better SF than Barnes. The Kings get a very solid (and tall) PG and a great 3&D wing. Iguodala could start either at SG or SF position depending how Joerger plans his rotation. Livingston does not shoot 3-pointers, so I would probably start Iquodala at SG and Casspi at SF to keep the outside threat. That lineup (DMC and Willie the others) would also be defensively extremely strong totally controlling the boards in both ends of the court.
Thanks for the two last sentences:)! I really believe that this team can make it and at this stage I don't care if it a 1st round exit as long as we keep progressing. I feel that the talent is there and the problems are mostly mental.
How's Iggy's back? He looked less dominant in the finals, than he did a year before. But potentially Iggy and Livingston would be great.
Gay is not a better SF than Barnes in my mind (strangely he is the more skilled player, but not the better player if this does make any sense :confused:). And I think Gay is not a better player, than Iggy either. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for this trade, unless WCS is involved.

It's tempting, but I won't go down the Malone route again. ;)
I don't think this years team underachieved as much as we like to hope. I think the weakness of this team got exposed badly. And so far we did nothing to cover that weakness.
It's not like Lee is Methusalem. He is 30 years old, healthy and still looks hungry enough to make an impact.
And when you believe Lee is too old, why not go after Hill or Harkless instead? I still don't get it. We spend 8 millions on Tolliver, who has one impact skill, but 13 millions for Hill, who impacts the game in so many ways, is too much?
Hill is one of the worst contracts signed in this free agemcy period. There is still time for Harkless but he is not a great fit. On Lee, he will be fine for the first two years but those last two will be troublesome for his team.

Frankly, yes it is too much. This guy didn't even average 15 minutes a game and you're going to pay him 13 million a year? He averaged 4 points last season, 4. He may never reach his full potential. We don't need to pay bench guys 13 million a year. Also, Tolliver may have signed for 2 years 16 million, but we actually only guaranteed him 10 million. Hill and Tolliver would have essentially have had the same role with us, or very similar, but yet one guy is 13 million a year for 3-4 years (I forgot how many years) and the other one is 10 million total for 2 years. Not everything is cut and dry, you have to be financially shrewd. It's easy to say we should have got player X instead of player Y, but there are so many variables you have to look at that that it's just not as easy as we make it look.
uhm - Vogel pretty much held Hill out of the rotation for quite a bit and Hill only slowly regained his trust over the season. Hill was absolutely game changing in the PO for Indiana. And Hill and Tolliver are nowhere near alike. Tolliver is a spot up shooter and nothing else. Hill is a versatile two way combo forward.

How's Iggy's back? He looked less dominant in the finals, than he did a year before. But potentially Iggy and Livingston would be great.
Gay is not a better SF than Barnes in my mind (strangely he is the more skilled player, but not the better player if this does make any sense :confused:). And I think Gay is not a better player, than Iggy either. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for this trade, unless WCS is involved.
I think Iggy plays more of an important role than Rudy and is therefore more valuable so I can see your point there. However, Barnes being a better player than Rudy really confuses me. Rudy, when focused, is a top 10 SF in the league, or at the very least is in the conversation. Can you say the same about Barnes? I think not.

uhm - Vogel pretty much held Hill out of the rotation for quite a bit and Hill only slowly regained his trust over the season. Hill was absolutely game changing in the PO for Indiana. And Hill and Tolliver are nowhere near alike. Tolliver is a spot up shooter and nothing else. Hill is a versatile two way combo forward.
Hill shot 25% from 2 in the playoffs this year (7 game series) and shot a ridiculous 58% from 3, which is far and away higher than his career average of 32.5% and last season's average of 32.4%. He played twice as many minutes in the playoffs than during the regular season but only managed to average 1 more rebound a game, while assists stayed the same and the steals went down. If he wasn't hitting 58% of his threes (which is clearly not even close to his norm), he most likely wouldn't have played 28 minutes a game. Heck, if anyone was shooting 58% from 3, I would let them play too.

I really am not sure if Iggy will be able to tolerate starting from a physical standpoint. Athletic guys like him who have played hard over the years take a beating and I am pretty sure he is already 31-32 years old. I would rather trade Rudy for a starting caliber PG that can be a #2 option when needed. I would then focus on trading Ben/KK to shore up any weaknesses.
I'm one of those thinking that Rudy is a very good player. Not always playing as hard as I would like, but very athletic and skillful. However, I feel that if he stays, he will walk for free next year. We have control over BenMc and KK at the end of the season, which, in my opinion, is very important. I believe that KK's market value has skyrocketed since last year. I'm not so worried about Iggys minutes, because we now have Afflalo, BenMc and Malachi behind him at SG. Moreover, Iggy can play SF as well. Livington is a starter caliber PG. If we find a better one, we can use him from the bench and he would be even more valuable.

I'm one of those thinking that Rudy is a very good player. Not always playing as hard as I would like, but very athletic and skillful. However, I feel that if he stays, he will walk for free next year. We have control over BenMc and KK at the end of the season, which, in my opinion, is very important. I believe that KK's market value has skyrocketed since last year. I'm not so worried about Iggys minutes, because we now have Afflalo, BenMc and Malachi behind him at SG. Moreover, Iggy can play SF as well. Livington is a starter caliber PG. If we find a better one, we can use him from the bench and he would be even more valuable.
The thing with Livingston is that Curry has a real issue of disappearing in big games, while Livingston (both last year and this year) has been huge for them. There have been many games where Livingston has saved them and getting both Iggy AND Livingston would take a hell of an offer. Rudy alone won't do it. They may not want to even do Rudy for just one of them (but hey, if they bite I will build a shrine for Vlade). The issue with Rudy is exactly as you say, he doesn't play as hard as he can. He has always been his own worst enemy.

On the Iggy front, I suppose we can keep his minutes around 28-30 minutes a game or so with the reserves and Omri behind him. I'm a big fan of Iggy and was pretty bummed out when he played us like a fiddle a couple of years ago.

Everyone knows Rudy is on the trade market and an 18-20 PPG career scorer at 13 million is a great deal after this summer AND he is an expiring. Someone will bite, just which team and for what players are a complete unknown. We have had zero leaks this year and I have no clue what Vlade is thinking at all.

I know what you mean, but I think Rudy would open Curry and Klay better because his better ability to attack the rim. In other words, I can see that Rudy would fit their game. If WCS would need to be involved - the deal is dead. No way in this universe I would do that trade.

Hill is one of the worst contracts signed in this free agemcy period. There is still time for Harkless but he is not a great fit. On Lee, he will be fine for the first two years but those last two will be troublesome for his team.
With Mozgov, Noah or Ryan Anderson signing ridicoulous contracts I have a difficult time to envision Hill as one of the worst contracts.
Harkless is a decent fit for the Kings. I don't understand why you would say otherwise. His shooting is a work in progress, but he would be our best perimeter defender the moment he signs here.
Portland vs Golden State? Harkless defending Curry? I think I saw a few differences in the way Harkless plays D, when compared to Rondo, Rudy or Bellinelli...;)

Hill shot 25% from 2 in the playoffs this year (7 game series) and shot a ridiculous 58% from 3, which is far and away higher than his career average of 32.5% and last season's average of 32.4%. He played twice as many minutes in the playoffs than during the regular season but only managed to average 1 more rebound a game, while assists stayed the same and the steals went down. If he wasn't hitting 58% of his threes (which is clearly not even close to his norm), he most likely wouldn't have played 28 minutes a game. Heck, if anyone was shooting 58% from 3, I would let them play too.
I couldn't care less about Hill's shooting. I would expect him to come down to his career averages again. You sign Hill for his versatility and defense.
Heck Miami fielded 4 guard/wing lineups this year in the PO. How are we supposed to defend this kind of crap without players, who can hold their own on D?
Or lets look into the near future and imagine Utah coming at us with Exum, Burks/Hood, Hayward, Johnson and Favors/Gobert.
I think Hill or Harkless could be quite handy, when we face them next time.
Or how about Portland with Lillard, McCollum, Turner, Aminu and Plumlee?
How do we deal with that, without decent wing defenders?

Last edited:
My prediction is that the following teams will make it to the playoffs in the Western Conference the coming season (in no special order):

Warriors
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Minnesota
Jazz
Kings
Grizzlies/Portland

I can't make up my mind between The Grizzlies and Portland (coming in last for the 8th seed). Closest to them is Minnesota.

Just my opinion and time will tell...

I couldn't care less about Hill's shooting. I would expect him to come down to his career averages again. You sign Hill for his versatility and defense.
Heck Miami fielded 4 guard/wing lineups this year in the PO. How are we supposed to defend this kind of crap without players, who can hold their own on D?
Or lets look into the near future and imagine Utah coming at us with Exum, Burks/Hood, Hayward, Johnson and Favors/Gobert.
I think Hill or Harkless could be quite handy, when we face them next time.
Or how about Portland with Lillard, McCollum, Turner, Aminu and Plumlee?
How do we deal with that, without decent wing defenders?
Are you honestly worried about Turner and Aminu? Plumlee? I think you are vastly over rating Hill.

Are you honestly worried about Turner and Aminu? Plumlee? I think you are vastly over rating Hill.
Everyone was underrating the Blazers last season, they got to the second round and gave GS as much trouble as you could expect from a young, unproven team and Aminu, Harkless and Plumlee were key players for them.
I followed the Celtics quite closely and Turner is a really good player as long as you give him the ball.
Lillard, McCollum and Aminu are all excellent off the ball. Plumlee was great as a playmaking center in the PO. Add Turner to that and you have tons of playmaking on the roster with enough shooting to make it click.
Yes I'm worried about that, because we pretty much suck at the guard and wing positions right now.
DC, Afflalo and "I only play D, when I feel like it" Gay won't be enough.
In my mind you are vastly underrating the importance of wing defense versus teams roughly similar to the ones I mentioned.
Hill got 13 millions, cause teams know they need players like him. Most teams are desperate to get their hands on decent wings with a strong frame. You don't sign those guys, because you expect them to iso or to make hero plays like Kobe or Gay. You sign them, because they can defend forwards and guards and you can switch every screen with enough of these guys on your roster.
Is it possible to find similar players for cheap? Oh yes it is. Jonathan Simmons is a good example for that.
Is it possible for the Kings? Eh......

One guy I mentioned a few months ago is Branden Dawson, who is currently on the Clippers roster. Clippers resigned Wes Johnson, so there is barely playing time for Dawson. Versus Miami in SL yesterday he showed once again, that he is a phyiscal guy with a great motor, that will defend, cut and run. Lock this guy into the gym and teach him, how to shoot and you have a 3&D wing for cheap without the bigger risk of handing out contracts to guys like Hill.
But Dawson is a work in progress and as long as he isn't able to shoot, he will cost you on offense.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My prediction is that the following teams will make it to the playoffs in the Western Conference the coming season (in no special order):

Warriors
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Minnesota
Jazz
Kings
Grizzlies/Portland

I can't make up my mind between The Grizzlies and Portland (coming in last for the 8th seed). Closest to them is Minnesota.

Portland was the 5th seed this season. If they match offers for Crabbe and resign Leonard they will essentially have the same team except for upgrading from Henderson to Turner who is a better fit.

My prediction with Minnesota is that if they keep and start Rubio they'll make the playoffs. If they start Dunn, they won't. But in time that team should be scary.

A healthy Gruzzlies team should easily make the playoffs so injuries will be the concern there.

And with the caveat that significant injuries to important players always seem to change the playoff picture I think the following teams make the playoffs:

Warriors
Thunder
Spurs
Clippers
Blazers
Grizzlies

With the following four teams fighting for the last two spots:

Rockets
Jazz
Kings
Wolves

Who's better?
*granted this is just right now, more moves obvious but I can see definite progress

C/PF (DMC/Kosta/WCS same)
Acy/Moreland/Dukan. OR Tolliver/Papa/Skal?
Acy is younger and a better rebounder but Tolliver is taller and better 3p shooter. Moreland can rebound the sh't out of the ball but does little else AND we waited 2 years for him to be healthy. Dukan is . . well . Papa and skal have great timing, height, mobility and some pretty good offense. Skal in a good jumper and papa w/ some nice post moves.

SF/SG (Rudy/Ben/Casspi/Butler same)
Beli. OR Bogdan/Affalo/Mala?
Beli was prob worst SG in NBA last year. Known as a one talent guard couldn't even do that and his D was pathetic. We have to wait for Bogdan but we know what we get w/Affalo and Mala has some definite shooting talent.

PG (Collison same)
Rondo/ Seth. OR. _______/iCuz
(Side note) Collison was a huge reason why 3s were SO open w/his help defense (that didn't) and late rotation (getting back to his man)
Rondo led NBA in assists and started hitting 3s at a good rate but his D was atrocious and he could hit a FT to save his life. This position is TBD until we have our starting pg

#1 I see improvement in 4/5 positions
#2 vlade has added youth and potential at every position

ICuz (pg/sg)
Bogdan (sg)
Mala (sg/sf)
Mitrovic (sf)
Skal (pf/c)
Gudaitis (c)
Papa (c)

We aren't the greatest destination for FA, but with avg big man price now >$15 million vlade is a freakin' genius!
Oh and how about some positivity around here sheesh

K

KingsFan80

Oh and no FA movement this morning guys. .
Serbia is playing
Affalo isn't a bad move per se. Vet SG which can help some but I highly doubt he stays healthy. I can see why Vlade made the move but it doesn't excite me.

Tolliver doesn't do anything for me. I really don't understand this signing for $8 mil a year. Cannot see him contributing much at all.

Everyone keeps talking about Bogdan being the future SG. is there any guarantee this guy will ever come at all? Seems to me it would made more sense to get Brandon Knight or Bledsoe in that deal by giving up more?

K

KingsFan80

Warriors
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Minnesota
Jazz
Kings
Grizzlies/Portland

Unless we make some significant changes via trade there is no way this current roster would make the playoffs