Forward Thinking Trade Ideas?

I've thought a lot about the idea of trading for Otto Porter Jr. to make a playoff push this year. However, I want to take a moment to pause and try to think rationally about that. Is that the kind of move that a young team hoping to contend in 2-4 years would make? In other words, if the Spurs were in our exact situation.. what would they do?

I think the answer is trading our cap space for future assets. I know it's not as immediately pleasing as adding an established 3 and D wing, but I think it's ultimately the wise way to go. If we take on salary in exchange for a first round pick this year, use that pick on a rangy 3 and D SF with upside (does anyone know anything about Stanford's KZ Okpala?) then we have the potential to truly ascend.

We know who Otto Porter Jr. is. At absolute best he's the third best player on a championship team. Most likely, he's the fourth or fifth. Is it truly worth it to trade our most valuable asset (cap space) for a chance to eek into the 8th seed for a known commodity like Otto? Are we sure that Justin Jackson can't be 85% of Otto within the next year? I think we might be better served getting that pick and taking a flier on whichever SF with a long wingspan and an ability to knock down the 3.

P.S. I've been reading this board with regularity since 2001. It's such an informed community that I feel very grateful to have had access to over the years. For whatever reason, I've never felt the need to join the conversation. Now, I'd like to. Go Kings!

I've thought a lot about the idea of trading for Otto Porter Jr. to make a playoff push this year. However, I want to take a moment to pause and try to think rationally about that. Is that the kind of move that a young team hoping to contend in 2-4 years would make? In other words, if the Spurs were in our exact situation.. what would they do?

I think the answer is trading our cap space for future assets. I know it's not as immediately pleasing as adding an established 3 and D wing, but I think it's ultimately the wise way to go. If we take on salary in exchange for a first round pick this year, use that pick on a rangy 3 and D SF with upside (does anyone know anything about Stanford's KZ Okpala?) then we have the potential to truly ascend.

We know who Otto Porter Jr. is. At absolute best he's the third best player on a championship team. Most likely, he's the fourth or fifth. Is it truly worth it to trade our most valuable asset (cap space) for a chance to eek into the 8th seed for a known commodity like Otto? Are we sure that Justin Jackson can't be 85% of Otto within the next year? I think we might be better served getting that pick and taking a flier on whichever SF with a long wingspan and an ability to knock down the 3.

P.S. I've been reading this board with regularity since 2001. It's such an informed community that I feel very grateful to have had access to over the years. For whatever reason, I've never felt the need to join the conversation. Now, I'd like to. Go Kings!
I think if you're the Kings you're always going to have be overpaying SOMEBODY. Now if Giannis or Durant or Kawhi are coming through that door - great! But...

I think overpaying Otto Porter is sort of Sacramento's lot in life. You could do worse - a lot worse. As long as you believe Porter is bust-out proof... I'm happy to pay him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
At the same time, Sac hasn’t been in this position in a long time of one of the up and coming teams in the league who a potential bigger FA may look at and think he could be the final piece. Sac checks off a lot of boxes currently....pace that guys like to play at, players coach, a settled higher office, talented young players ready to take next step, etc

Now if you go ahead and get a guy like Porter, you likely take yourself out of the running for a potential better player through free agency and or trade.

Otto Porter is a role player on a terrible contract. We are piecing together similar production from who we already have. I feel they could shoot for bigger in the off season and if they don’t land that great player, then sign a guy like Bojan Bogdanovich

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see the Kings stand pat unless they can net themselves a SF or another rebounder and test the Free Agent market in the summer instead.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
In terms of Otto Porter, his value will likely go up on the floor with Wall out. I can't see why the Wiz would want to hang onto him at this point, and if the Kings were able to pick up an overpaid SF that fits they might as well go for it. Go for the ones that are probably losing value because their apparent fit on their current squads is an issue. Otto Porter I think is a bit overrated defensively but I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings go after Batum or Harrison Barnes via trade, or really lock in on Tobias Harris or Middleton this summer. Although, I think the Kings are making a mistake if they wait for the summer. They have a better shot in FA now that they look to be headed in the right direction but there is way too much competition for free agents. I'd hate Durant on this squad, but no way are the Kings in the running for any of the top level SF's anyway. Pipe dream and not at all worth the risk on waiting when you have 2-3 names you can probably get now. The Kings are young enough to make a push now, and then still set themselves up to make a major push in another 2-3 years. I really like the option of going after Barnes or Batum because of their contracts. Barnes would be insane to opt out of his last year IMO but he'd be another target in the summer I guess. I think the Kings would be better off getting someone like him acclimated this year and seeing if that helped you retain him long term.

One interesting name I'd throw out as a potential non SF target would be Marc Gasol. I think he'd be a major addition to help this team forward. The only problem is I know Joerger and Gasol has some serious locker room issues so that might be another pipe dream.

I would like to trade for Troy Brown Jr, 2nd rounder & Mahinmi in exchange for expirings. Who knows what Washington is thinking right now but I see their window as closed.

Well I can see everyone’s point so let’s add this.
Most of us agree we are fine at of,sg and pretty much with pg. what I consider strength is a good starter and a good backup. Now I see a weakness at sf and center.

I am warming up to JJ and WCS to a point but just don’t see them as long term starters. We just may have a opportunity without giving up our core to make those positions two deep also.

Washington is rumored about dumping some players before the deadline but Porter is not one bringing a lot of the talk right now.

If we traded away some expiring contracts and even our cap space to pick up two solid pieces at positions of need why not. A trade for Porter I say go for it and for the center position I worry about Giles knees but think he will get healthy but just don’t see him doing 30 plus minutes a game at this point. kK will not be getting much run the rest of the year.

With Kanter someone would need to go as his attitude would not get better with Giles and WCS ahead of him in the rotation. Plus I can not see moving Giles at this point in his career. I leave this up to Vlade how he is going to handle the center position going forward.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think at worse, Porter is the third option on a good team and could easily be the 2nd option. Remember, he's playing with two players that demand the ball, and both of whom take 18 to 20 shots a game. Ironically, over his career, Porter has been the most efficient scorer on that team, and definitely the best defender. You said it best when you said we know who Porter is, and that's very important in the grand scheme of things. Lets also remember that he's still young at 25 and "fits the grow with the team concept".

Right now we have one legitimate size SF on the team in Jackson, who I have always envisioned as backup SF. Acquire Porter and now we have two legit sized players at that position, and actually have some depth as well. Draft picks as assets is all well and good, but at some point in time, you have to decide to go forward with a group of players. I think the Kings are very close to that time, and with the addition of Porter, they'll have a solid core that can grow and perhaps become a championship team. I think its time to quit hiding in the bushes and get into the battle.

I like Porter for this team because:
  1. We are already playing .500 ball and at 25 (younger than Hield & Bogdan), he would be an ideal fit at SF who may still improve his game
  2. His contract expires at a favorable time. Meaning his contract would expire when we are having to give big paydays to some of our current young guys. At this time, we could still resign Porter but maybe it's for half his current contract value
  3. Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Porter, Giles, & Bagley is a lot of talent that fits extremely well together that also has good character. We'd likely be one piece away from a championship or perhaps a championship caliber team depending on how all 6 of them develop.

Oubre, Middleton, Bogie 2.0, or Harris will be a king next year.

As for college threes, Kris Wilkes would be a steal in the 2nd round. Legit 6’8 with one of the smoothest jumpers in college.

Okpala is hard to project. I don’t see the explosion, but he has the length. He ends up being Moe Harkless or a stretch 4. Barring a gigantic leap in athleticism like Russ.

I like Porter for this team because:
  1. We are already playing .500 ball and at 25 (younger than Hield & Bogdan), he would be an ideal fit at SF who may still improve his game
  2. His contract expires at a favorable time. Meaning his contract would expire when we are having to give big paydays to some of our current young guys. At this time, we could still resign Porter but maybe it's for half his current contract value
  3. Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Porter, Giles, & Bagley is a lot of talent that fits extremely well together that also has good character. We'd likely be one piece away from a championship or perhaps a championship caliber team depending on how all 6 of them develop.
Championship Caliber? Playoff team is one thing. Championship is far,far in the distance.
Championship is a minimum of 2 All Stars.

Hield and Bogdan are pretty much at their ceiling. Both are great shooters.
But neither are good one on one players
And neither can create at a high level.

Bagley has good potential to be 20-10. But, I don’t see Elite either. Meaning Anthony Davis, Cuz skill set.

Giles: Who knows. Some Kings fans tend to overrate his potential.

Fox: Great season.
Now, he needs to develop a
Consistent mid range and long range game.
He’s the only piece on this roster that has a chance at being a good one on one player.

Okpala would be a much better and much safer land than Otto Porter, obviously some luck will be involved getting his rights though...Kezie would be an excellent match for the Kings for a multitude of reasons, one of which is he can actually attack off the dribble.

I've been following his story for a while, waited for him to become eligible last year. He has excellent upside compared to where he's being projected in mocks tbh, he'll probably continue to rise up boards into the summer and be way out of Kings range...

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a huge part of me that wants to watch Otto play for us this year come February.. I just don’t think there’s much of a precedent of ascending young teams trading for a known bad contract and having that lead to championship aspirations.

There are many examples of teams in our situations maximizing future assets and hitting on those, which in turn leads to contention. The Warriors drafted everyone, broke the record for wins, THEN signed KD. All of the true foundations of the Spurs came through the draft, many of them (Parker, manu, Kawhi) came later in the draft.

@upinsmoke , tell me more about Troy Brown Jr.? What are the chances we could get Kevin Knox from NY? Perhaps the Knicks give us a (valuable) pick if we take one of their contracts? How would we feel about talking the Magic out of Isaac? Or even Aaron Gordon?

All in all, just trying to make the best use of this opportunity. I’d hate to see us make a rash move now and look back later, wishing we hadn’t taken the sure thing when that sure thing was a trip to a few first round exits.

Gordon is...intriguing. Could start at 3 and close out games at the 4. Streaky shooter, but he’s also never had a real PG in his professional life—would get alot of easy looks here. Would address wing defense and rebounding. Not sure what it would take to get him.

Gordon is...intriguing. Could start at 3 and close out games at the 4. Streaky shooter, but he’s also never had a real PG in his professional life—would get alot of easy looks here. Would address wing defense and rebounding. Not sure what it would take to get him.
His defense can be elite level, there commentary team always talks about it, athletically he can match it with any wing in the NBA strength /size and speed wise which is a rarity other than Leonard/Giannis and from the 10 or so games I have seen of them this year he does compete. Not sure what it would take to get him but.

First off, welcome to the board! Glad you made the jump.

Secondly, I like the idea of acquiring another draft pick. That strategy has seemingly worked well for Boston -- and they still have some of those assets to play with in order to improve their team.

Unlike many of these guys, I'm not all that high on Otto Porter -- especially for the contract. I'd rather keep adding via the draft where they can get another player (or two) for 5 years at a reasonable salary.

If the KINGS had a top 15 draft pick in this draft, they could possibly leverage it along with another young player to trade up for another player they covet. Or if they landed another 1st in say 2020 or 2021, they'd have multiple 1st rounders in which to package for a trade up or for an established player that might be better than Otto Porter.

Whatever they do, I'd like to see them be responsible with the cap so they can afford to re-sign these core players they've worked so hard to get. 2 more years of Otto Porter at nearly 30M doesn't accomplish that. And then he'd need to be re-signed too.

No thanks. If the KINGS are gonna pay 28M for a player, it better be for someone better than Otto Porter.

Gordon is not a 3.

Ringer actually just wrote up why he needs to get out of Orlando who are forcing him into the 3 spot because of all their bigs.
He’s not a playmaking 3 in the way the position has been recast by Lebron or Durant, no. But, 4s aren’t the same anymore either, and the point is that he is a big, very athletic wing who can play great defense on other big wings. He’d close games at the nominal 4 spot, morr than likely. But, again, keep in mind that he’s never had a real PG, so any talk of what he is, or is not, is a little premature until he gets to a better organization with a solid-to-great PG at the helm that can generate some real offense for Gordon. Gordon was the Kawhi starter-kit, only he never got Pop/Engelland and Tony Parker to show him the way.

I’m not advocating a rash move, just that he’s the type of intriguing player/fit that I’d be looking at....and would probably stay away from the overpaid Otto Porters of the world.

Edit to add: I like the Ringer...but their hardcore basketball knowledge is pretty thin. Unless Tjarks or Simmons himself wrote the article, its coming from someone who never actually played ball at any level and is not applying any additional context to the data they use to make their case.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He’s not a playmaking 3 in the way the position has been recast by Lebron or Durant, no. But, 4s aren’t the same anymore either, and the point is that he is a big, very athletic wing who can play great defense on other big wings. He’d close games at the nominal 4 spot, morr than likely. But, again, keep in mind that he’s never had a real PG, so any talk of what he is, or is not, is a little premature until he gets to a better organization with a solid-to-great PG at the helm that can generate some real offense for Gordon. Gordon was the Kawhi starter-kit, only he never got Pop/Engelland and Tony Parker to show him the way.

I’m not advocating a rash move, just that he’s the type of intriguing player/fit that I’d be looking at....and would probably stay away from the overpaid Otto Porters of the world.

Edit to add: I like the Ringer...but their hardcore basketball knowledge is pretty thin. Unless Tjarks or Simmons himself wrote the article, its coming from someone who never actually played ball at any level and is not applying any additional context to the data they use to make their case.
I don't think the Ringer is always the best basketball source but thought I'd mention it because they basically said he'd be a perfect 4 in our system.

I am a huge Gordon fan from his Arizona days and think he's been horribly misused in Orlando but I just don't think he is a 3 in our system.

Okay, I think I’ve got it. Wesley Mathews and a young asset (first rounder or...DSJ?).

From what I understand, Mathews still fits the bill as a good 3 and D wing. Shooting the 3 at 38.5% on 5.9 attempts. Though slightly shorter at 6’5”, his 7’1” wingspan makes up for it. I haven’t watched much mavs ball this year, but my cursory research shows that he’s still considered a good defensive player(?)

His deal is expiring. The mavs are currently rumored to be dangling him as “sweetner” in a DSJ deal.

This is exactly the kind of trade I think the Kings should be looking for. Helps now, helps later, doesn’t strap you into the wrong player long term, and has the potential to bring the kind of value that could get us to that next level.

What would it take to get that first rounder? Is there any way that DSJ would be an amazing value steal here? I recognize that he’d have a similar issue of not being the main PG, so perhaps not... but if it did hit, we’d have the kind of value that could be flipped to truly propel us up a level in the NBA strata.

Last edited:
I’m on board with cap space for picks at this point as I am one of those that doesn’t want to trade for Porter or any other higher priced piece. The kings are going to be doling out max level contracts to Fox and Bagley if they reach anywhere close to their potential. With the way Buddy is playing he is going to get a huge contract as well. If we are ok with those three as the core we need to be developing or signing cheaper complementary pieces instead of 100 mil 3 and D guys as we just can’t afford huge contracts at every position. Granted lots of what ifs here, but put me in the patience camp. Develop young talent and stockpile picks for the future.

I’m on board with cap space for picks at this point as I am one of those that doesn’t want to trade for Porter or any other higher priced piece. The kings are going to be doling out max level contracts to Fox and Bagley if they reach anywhere close to their potential. With the way Buddy is playing he is going to get a huge contract as well. If we are ok with those three as the core we need to be developing or signing cheaper complementary pieces instead of 100 mil 3 and D guys as we just can’t afford huge contracts at every position. Granted lots of what ifs here, but put me in the patience camp. Develop young talent and stockpile picks for the future.
Well, the thing about Porter is his deal expires in time for us to resign Fox and Bagley to their big deals (fingers crossed that Bagley will deserve one!).. but I see your point.