Forecasting Bagley

What is the most likely outcome for Marvin Bagley III?

• Total voters
I’ve always appreciated athletes like Wayman Tisdale, Desmond Mason, Jayen Brown... good players that pursue artistic interest.
Basketball careers are short lived so makes sense to foster those interest. It’s a better story than the guy who ends up blowing everything or a troubled life.
It’s too early for me to comment on Marvin and his dedication to basketball. Obviously he’s an insane athlete but a lot of set backs as far as I can tell, regardless hope it all works out on and off the court.

Last edited:
Some guy named Wayman something-or-other seemed to be able to balance the NBA and music pretty well, right?
Some are better than others.

That said, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Loved Tizzy, but he was just a player. Nothing extra special.

I don’t pretend to know how involved he was in his music during his prime playing days, but assuming he was very involved I’d argue that’s why he didn’t become the player many thought such a highly drafted player would become.

You can’t name a ton of superstar players that didn’t have their primary sport as their clear cut #1 priority. There’s good reason for that.

Bagley have not been impressive this year so far. I think the problem is his defense. He's never been intimidated inside the paint. Guys can drive by him or even punish him inside. I think he need to put on some weight or muscle....he get pushed around too easy....that's the problem. I questioned if he work hard enough during the offseason. Did he spend time at the gym or making his music? If it's the latter, then that explain why his defense is lacking. I heard Fox put in tons of work at the gym putting up shots and lifting weight and it translate on the court. Bagley? I don't know. He's hardly blocked any shot. This is the biggest reason why Luke can't afford to play him...it's not his offensive skills...it's the defense. He and Buddy Hield are the worst. But the reason Buddy gets minutes is because Kings need a great shooter like him to put points on the board and space the floor for Fox to attack.

If we can get great value back, i will trade Bagley and Hield...for example for someone like Zak Lavine + 1st round or something.

That said, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Loved Tizzy, but he was just a player. Nothing extra special.

I don’t pretend to know how involved he was in his music during his prime playing days, but assuming he was very involved I’d argue that’s why he didn’t become the player many thought such a highly drafted player would become.

You can’t name a ton of superstar players that didn’t have their primary sport as their clear cut #1 priority. There’s good reason for that.
Muhammad Ali
Bo Jackson
Dion Sanders
Shaq
Wilt Chamberlain
Hakeem
Magic Johnson

And take a minute to read about Chris Paul. As they say - if you need something done, go to the busiest person in town.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-playing-point-guard-phoenix-suns/4374691001/

Muhammad Ali
Bo Jackson
Dion Sanders
Shaq
Wilt Chamberlain
Hakeem
Magic Johnson

And take a minute to read about Chris Paul. As they say - if you need something done, go to the busiest person in town.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-playing-point-guard-phoenix-suns/4374691001/
What’s the point of this reply? I said you can’t name many. And you didn’t. 6 names isn’t many. And those names are very debatable. Just because they did other notable things doesn’t mean it wasn’t a distant 2nd.

For one, Bo Jackson didn’t even play a full NFL season. About half. Because baseball was his #1 priority. And Sanders gave up baseball eventually after years of also playing half seasons because the NFL was his #1 priority. And many pundits will tell you that they could have been better had they focused on 1 sport their whole career.

Michael Jordan quit basketball to focus on baseball because he knew that was his only chance to make it in that sport.

IDK how anybody believes they’ve got a good argument against here. Again, I’m not saying these guys have to devote 100% of all their time on their #1 profession. But the very best overwhelmingly make it a clear cut #1 priority.

See Tiger Woods. Serena Williams. Kobe Bryant. Tom Brady. Lewis Hamilton. The list goes on and on. That doesn’t mean they don’t do other things. Even Shaq’s Hollywood career was a distant #2 to basketball and didn’t even last all that long considering.

What’s the point of this reply? I said you can’t name many. And you didn’t. 6 names isn’t many. And those names are very debatable. Just because they did other notable things doesn’t mean it wasn’t a distant 2nd.

For one, Bo Jackson didn’t even play a full NFL season. About half. Because baseball was his #1 priority. And Sanders gave up baseball eventually after years of also playing half seasons because the NFL was his #1 priority. And many pundits will tell you that they could have been better had they focused on 1 sport their whole career.

Michael Jordan quit basketball to focus on baseball because he knew that was his only chance to make it in that sport.

IDK how anybody believes they’ve got a good argument against here. Again, I’m not saying these guys have to devote 100% of all their time on their #1 profession. But the very best overwhelmingly make it a clear cut #1 priority.

See Tiger Woods. Serena Williams. Kobe Bryant. Tom Brady. Lewis Hamilton. The list goes on and on. That doesn’t mean they don’t do other things. Even Shaq’s Hollywood career was a distant #2 to basketball and didn’t even last all that long considering.
Babe Ruth
Mickey Mantle
Sean White
Mike Tyson
Gronk
The whole ‘86 Mets
All the Raider Championships
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
LeBron James

Dame is like pretty hardcore into his hip hop game. Live shows in the offseason, etc (when those were things). And supposedly he's really good at it. There are plenty of others (Lonzo Ball was even in one of those dropping cash shows buying a whole home studio, he was awful though).

Dame is like pretty hardcore into his hip hop game. Live shows in the offseason, etc (when those were things). And supposedly he's really good at it. There are plenty of others (Lonzo Ball was even in one of those dropping cash shows buying a whole home studio, he was awful though).
I believe Lonzo was also on the Masked Singer.

Next time Fox has a bad game are we going to see posts about how he plays too many video games?

There's no indication that basketball isn't Bagley's #1 priority so this is all speculation.

Back to the premise of this thread, the best case scenario for the Kings is that Marvin continues to improve and get stronger and takes over the starting center role. I still think it makes sense to trade Hield but Barnes looks like he's worth keeping which would mean the Kings are a starting wing away from (maybe via the draft) having a starting five of:

Bagley
Barnes
Rookie (Kuminga, Williams, Johnson, Kispert) or FA wing
Haliburton
Fox

And a bench (if Holmes can be re-signed to a reasonable deal) of

Holmes
Woodard
Jeffries
Ramsey

If those last three guys can develop that's potentially an athletic, defensive minded second unit. One more bench scorer and some depth and that could be a decent team in time.

With 1 first rounder and 2 2nds along with whatever McNair can get for Buddy and/or ending contracts (Bjelica, Joseph, Parker etc) the Kings could start to look like a team on the rise.

Last edited:
He’s VERY good at it
I'm not really equipped to review, but a past girlfriend who was obsessed with Dame and liked hip hop had always raved about how amazing he was and did see him perform several times.

He's certainly a top 10 player. To be honest music seems like a totally reasonable offseason pursuit and something you can do during your downtime even during the season - wouldn't you rather have a guy who brings his laptop and bounces ideas in his hotel room after a game than the guy who is out partying in every city?

And it’s still a distant 2nd to the work he puts into basketball.