Forecasting Bagley

What is the most likely outcome for Marvin Bagley III?

• Total voters
Recently I heard a well known coach talk about the fact that a team can cover for one below average defender. They cannot win with two below average defenders. This has a lot to do with why Bagley does not play fourth quarters. It also has a lot to with why the Kings have recently been able to win a lot of fourth quarters with 3 guards, HB at the power forward and a center.

I don't see much improvement from Bagley year to year. This year he lost his FT though too for some reason. 80% to 48% on free throws tells me there is something wrong with this kid. I say we just trade him outright and wish him luck.

Start Whiteside. We have the league leading rebounder from last year and we don't use him, even though our team is almost last in the league in rebounding. Makes no sense to me. Last night when he had extended minutes, Whiteside showed how many 2nd and third opportunities we could get on offense. Not having that could cost us the game. I would rather have Whiteside in there than MB.

Uh. We won the game last night. Bagley does need to work on his free throws. How are you missing the part about the Kings playing hard and being fun to watch?

If MB3 really aspires to be an elite level NBA’er, he needs to prioritize his music career/hobby as a very distant #2 to his pro basketball career and work tirelessly on his body.

He doesn’t need to get as ripped as Giannis Antetokounmpo, but use him as a guide. Look to his teammate Hassan Whiteside for guidence. Because that dude resurrected his career by changing his body.

Whiteside is too bulky for a wing, of course, but about 2/3rd’s of what Whiteside and Giannis have done should be appropriate for Bagley. If he does it, I don’t have much doubt about the player he can become. He already shoots the ball way better than Giannis from outside 20 feet.

Hell, to a smaller degree, Swipa has done good work improving his strength and physique. Look what it’s done for his game.

That type of work ethic typically comes from those that prioritize basketball and also hate losing. I’m not sure whether Bagley is as committed as Swipa or even Tyrese (from what I seen and heard from him thus far).

Let’s all hope he is. Or at least learns how to be.

Last edited:
If MB3 really aspires to be an elite level NBA’er, he needs to prioritize his music career/hobby as a very distant #2 to his pro basketball career and work tirelessly on his body.

He doesn’t need to get as ripped as Giannis Antetokounmpo, but use him as a guide. Look to his teammate Hassan Whiteside for guidence. Because that dude resurrected his career by changing his body.

Whiteside is too bulky for a wing, of course, but about 2/3rd’s of what Whiteside and Giannis have done should be appropriate for Bagley. If he does it, I don’t have much doubt about the player he can become. He already shoots the ball way better than Giannis from outside 20 feet.

Hell, to a smaller degree, Swipa has done good work improving his strength and physique. Look what it’s done for his game.

That type of work ethic typically comes from those that prioritize basketball and also hate losing. I’m not sure whether Bagley is as committed as Swipa or even Tyrese (from what I seen and heard from him thus far).

Let’s all hope he is. Or at least learns how to be.
I think this is a common misconception. This idea that a sports player can only focus on that one thing if they want to be successful. Almost anyone who puts 100% of their focus in one area will quickly get burned out. Most sports supetstars engage in othet endeavors while playing.

What you have question is are they dedicated to their sport? Everyone who has worked with Bagley has said he is a hard worker. He has made noticeable improvements in his strength and conditioning since entering the league. We will see how far that takes him.

I think this is a common misconception. This idea that a sports player can only focus on that one thing if they want to be successful. Almost anyone who puts 100% of their focus in one area will quickly get burned out. Most sports supetstars engage in othet endeavors while playing.

What you have question is are they dedicated to their sport? Everyone who has worked with Bagley has said he is a hard worker. He has made noticeable improvements in his strength and conditioning since entering the league. We will see how far that takes him.
Well said.

Maybe so, but not for me. And not in this case.

Nowhere did I say dedicate “100% of their focus”. You’re severely stretching the point and creating a strawman.

I’m simply saying that I don’t believe MB3 is dedicated enough. I could go into the reasons why, but for brevity’s sake I’ll leave it at that.

You can disagree and I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes in MB3’s life. I’m just going off what I’ve read, seen, and heard from MB3 and other parties over the time he’s been in SAC. And the fact that his body and skillset hasn’t improved all that much despite having so much natural talent.

Lastly, it’s well known how important music is to MB3 and that he spends a lot of time on it. That also isn’t a common misconception. It’s well documented.

IMO, unless he’s happy being a marginal player in the NBA, he needs to find a way to place his true profession far above all other interests. And, again, that doesn’t mean he can’t do other things or have hobbies. But music or whatever else needs to take a distant back seat.

That’s much different than what you took out of what I said initially.

Swipa, for example, is an avid gamer. I’m sure he spends a ton of his free time gaming. But he sure has figured out a way to spend a lot of time in the gym and on his game. It’s clearly his #1 priority.

I don’t see that with MB3. Which is IMO part of the larger problem. And part of his injury history.

Dude need to get bigger and stronger. Period.

Another thing to consider is Marvin may be more gifted physically vs talented skill wise.

He has good size, leaping ability and fluidity. Those are his best attributes.

He isn’t a great shooter but could be above average with time.
He isn’t a great scorer but above average and room for more
He is a great offensive rebounder below average on defensive glass. This could be improved with better strength and technique.
He is poor defensively. This can be improved with strength and technique
Poor passer- can be improved but best case scenario is prob getting to average
Solid handles

if we are being honest he has one elite basketball skill and that is offensive rebounding. Two that are likely to be above average when he fully develops and 2-3 that will probably remain average or below.

If he becomes a step below elite scorer (say 18-20 points a game) an elite overall rebounder, above average shooter and slightly below average on defense and passing that is a solid starter plus in the league.

dude12

Hall of Famer

Nowhere did I say dedicate “100% of their focus”. You’re severely stretching the point and creating a strawman.

I’m simply saying that I don’t believe MB3 is dedicated enough. I could go into the reasons why, but for brevity’s sake I’ll leave it at that.

You can disagree and I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes in MB3’s life. I’m just going off what I’ve read, seen, and heard from MB3 and other parties over the time he’s been in SAC. And the fact that his body and skillset hasn’t improved all that much despite having so much natural talent.

Lastly, it’s well known how important music is to MB3 and that he spends a lot of time on it. That also isn’t a common misconception. It’s well documented.

IMO, unless he’s happy being a marginal player in the NBA, he needs to find a way to place his true profession far above all other interests. And, again, that doesn’t mean he can’t do other things or have hobbies. But music or whatever else needs to take a distant back seat.

Swipa, for example, is an avid gamer. I’m sure he spends a ton of his free time gaming. But he sure has figured out a way to spend a lot of time in the gym and on his game. It’s clearly his #1 priority.

I don’t see that with MB3. Which is IMO part of the larger problem. And part of his injury history.

You are going with the eye test on if he’s stronger or not. It really is not the best way to tell if a guy is stronger and in fact is the worst way. That is why there are tests done......from strength and conditioning old school methods, to you 1 rep Max to using Sparta Science to obtain hard data. Fox is clearly bigger than his early years. Point being everyone around Bagley says he is a hard worker and even the most jaded fan has to admit he has already improved from the start of this season to now.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
You are going with the eye test on if he’s stronger or not. It really is not the best way to tell if a guy is stronger and in fact is the worst way. That is why there are tests done......from strength and conditioning old school methods, to you 1 rep Max to using Sparta Science to obtain hard data. Fox is clearly bigger than his early years. Point being everyone around Bagley says he is a hard worker and even the most jaded fan has to admit he has already improved from the start of this season to now.
He just needs Hassan Whiteside to tell him he sucks at other things now. :p

Whiteside is suited to one position which is the 5. He is a little slow afoot and has a small motor. That is why he does not play more.
Bagley is becoming more enigmatic as his third season progresses.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Whiteside is suited to one position which is the 5. He is a little slow afoot and has a small motor. That is why he does not play more.
Bagley is becoming more enigmatic as his third season progresses.
Hassan has done absolutely nothing during this second run in Sac to fuel the “small motor” myth that keeps getting thrown out there. Definitely in his first run 10+ years ago, but today I simply see a lumbering semi-uncoordinated giant of a man who doesn’t fit the speed of today’s game if played for long stretches of time.

i really hate it when people bring up his music career, as if he’s never going to put it all together until he stops focusing on things outside of basketball

the dude is allowed to be passionate about something other than what happens on the court!

I don’t think that something like that is guaranteed to be a distraction from his NBA career. Dame and other guys are also big on music, and I’m sure LOTS of other guys have things they care about other than basketball

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a creative outlet, especially considering he’s not been a total dud on the court, and has been making steady improvements

i really hate it when people bring up his music career, as if he’s never going to put it all together until he stops focusing on things outside of basketball

the dude is allowed to be passionate about something other than what happens on the court!

I don’t think that something like that is guaranteed to be a distraction from his NBA career. Dame and other guys are also big on music, and I’m sure LOTS of other guys have things they care about other than basketball

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a creative outlet, especially considering he’s not been a total dud on the court, and has been making steady improvements
C Webb made beats. Questlove wrote he always tried to avoid him when he was with the 76ers 'cause Webb would always try to push his tapes.

Didn't Stackhouse say singing was his passion? And that didn't stop him from having a good career + becoming a promising coach?

I like when young guys try things - be it rap or whatever else. Good on you Bags.

And I really hate it when people bring up me bringing up his music career. So there!

You can disagree all you want, that’s fine. But several are still using hyperbole with regard to what I said. I’m not suggesting he should give up all creative outlets or hobbies.

I’m saying that anyone at the top of their profession makes everything else a distant 2nd priority. This is well known. Well documented. And I don’t see MB3 as that type of pro right now.

Great for you if you do.

Last edited:
I've always thought his baseball career was a cover-up for a gambling suspension. There were reports about high-stakes gambling just before he announced his "retirement".
it’s what 25 years later and not even a small leak of evidence or real allegations that gambling angle is comical

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

Some guy named Wayman something-or-other seemed to be able to balance the NBA and music pretty well, right?

Lillard makes music too. But there's a difference in Webber, Stackhouse, MJ, Tisdale, Lillard and Bagley. One of them is not a good basketball player and the rest are. I think it's a pretty natural human response to question where his priorities lie. Then again, it's not like he has to dedicate every second of his life to basketball either. It's just not a good look when you aren't a good player.

You know how when you really don't like someone, even the way they breathe irritates you?

Same thing here. When a basketball player is disliked, people start to even dig down into their personal lives and criticize that. Then try to somehow tie it back to basketball to feel justified.

The vast majority of players, good and bad, have an interest outside of basketball.

Lillard makes music too. But there's a difference in Webber, Stackhouse, MJ, Tisdale, Lillard and Bagley. One of them is not a good basketball player and the rest are. I think it's a pretty natural human response to question where his priorities lie. Then again, it's not like he has to dedicate every second of his life to basketball either. It's just not a good look when you aren't a good player.
This is just bad logic. You are seeing a correlation between to things when there is zero evidence to back it up.

Either you are insinuating he isn't good at basketball (untrue btw) because of his music, or that he shouldn't be allowed to have other endeavors unless he is a star player. Neither makes any sense.
I know neither makes sense because I didn't say either of those things. In fact I said the complete opposite of that second part so I have no idea what you're basing that off of.

It's a fairly natural human response to question where a player's priorities lie when they're dropping albums while they suck at basketball. If they're dropping albums while being good at basketball, people don't normally question it. I don't care either way but I can see where people are coming from if they do have that opinion.