Food thread/what are you eating?

Do they? The last time I had some in some ramen, they didn't taste like anything. That's what prompted the question, actually: I was talking to my sister last night, and told her I'd made some ramen for supper, and she asked me what I put in it. After I told her she asked me why no bok choy or bean sprouts? The first part of that question was ridiculous to me, because she knows that I hate cabbage, and the second part was because I didn't buy any bean sprouts, because every time I've had bean sprouts they tasted (as stated by @Capt. Factorial) like "crunchy water."
I can’t speak much on ramen but a lot of Vietnamese food is about contrast in texture so the crunchy water is to not change the flavor of the dish but to give it a bit of different texture to it

Quick snack before bed: a third-rate, bootleg, homemade "Mexican pizza." I put slightly more effort into this thing than the Kings did in their defense tonight:

View attachment 12521
True story: My mom picked up some Mexican Pizza shells from our local Taco Bell out here in Vegas (yes, you can totally go to select Taco Bell locations and buy just the shells) and we, too, ate Mexican Pizza for dinner yesterday...:):):)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
even more so when you roast them in the oven at 350+ degrees
Disagreed, but it's a personal taste thing. If they aren't fresh and crunchy I don't like them nearly as much. Same thing with spinach/lettuce/cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower - they can be "cooked", but again it should be very lightly so you don't lose that fresh crunch/texture. Some of these things can be "OK" cooked a bit more, but I've never had any of these fully cooked in any way than is better than fresh or lightly stir-fried/seared.

IMHO, of course.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Disagreed, but it's a personal taste thing. If they aren't fresh and crunchy I don't like them nearly as much. Same thing with spinach/lettuce/cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower - they can be "cooked", but again it should be very lightly so you don't lose that fresh crunch/texture. Some of these things can be "OK" cooked a bit more, but I've never had any of these fully cooked in any way than is better than fresh or lightly stir-fried/seared.

IMHO, of course.
so you've never tried roasting them for an hour on a medium temp? you don't want to cook on too high, that will burn them and give them more char

Overcooked, mushy vegatebles are gross. I usually do a pan of carrots, diced potatoes and cauliflower and mushrooms, or some variation, with garlic and onions for flavor add a little salt, pepper and butter