Following Potential *2020* Draftees

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I've seen him about 4-5 times and I'm getting to the point where I'm convinced on C Isaiah Stewart out of Washington. Only 6'9" but a big 100% lean athletic body at about 260 pounds with a 7'4" wingspan means he's not at all undersized. He's a true back to the basket player with super soft touch on the rim and Kawhi-sized mitts to catch any entry pass. Had a heck of a game tonight against Colorado with 23/8/4 blocks on 9/12 shooting. I know that out of Washington McDaniels has the higher draft stock, but I'm pretty convinced Stewart will be the better pro. Currently mocks seem to have him a bit outside of the lottery (shocking to me) so it's not a reach he's going to be available when we pick, wherever we pick. I think he's an ideal back to the basket complement to Bagley as a face-up 4. If you told me right now he's the guy we draft this year, I'll take it.

I seriously hope the Kings fire Vlade sooner than later. I really don't want him to screw up another Kings pick. Not picking Doncic set this team back 10yrs. I have no clue how anyone can trust his evaluation after all of his draft busts.

I think the best players in this draft are Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman. LaMelo's shooting % deter me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I seriously hope the Kings fire Vlade sooner than later. I really don't want him to screw up another Kings pick. Not picking Doncic set this team back 10yrs. I have no clue how anyone can trust his evaluation after all of his draft busts.

I think the best players in this draft are Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman. LaMelo's shooting % deter me.
It's a dam shame about Wiseman, the suspension, and his eventual leaving of Memphis to prepare for the draft. If you look at Wiseman's current skill set, you betting on his potential. He played well in the few games we were able to see, but he's pretty much a back to the basket player right now, and that's why he probably no higher than 5th on most mocks, and lower on some. So it's probably more a matter of fit that will decide where Wiseman goes.

Edwards probably has the most overall potential of any player in the coming draft. He's cocky and he plays with a lot of confidence. However, so far that confidence hasn't added up to positive results. Edwards is the type of player that scares me to death. You can see the talent dripping off of him, but after watching him play, he's not a slam dunk in your mind. I was waiting for a few more games under my belt before doing a write up on him. But I'll give you a few things that bother me.

His shot selection is terrible at times, which is why he's only shooting 31% from the three, and 40% overall. His form isn't bad, I have to believe that if he had better shot selection those averages would go up. He's shooting that poorly from the three, and still taking 7 three's a game. Not good! My other major concern is his defense. There are times when he doesn't play any defense at all, and don't be mislead by his 1.2 steals a game. And by playing no defense at all, I mean just that.

However, when he does play defense, he's a fairly good defender. He does reach too much, and as a result gets into foul trouble, which is probably why he stops playing defense at times. As to not be totally negative, he's a very good passer and I can see a team running the ball through him. So as I said, he's not a slam dunk number one to me, but he has the potential to be the best player out of this coming draft.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
OK, by popular demand, Jaden McDaniels, the 6'10", 200 lb, SF/PF from Washington. Now that I've had a chance to see him play more than a couple of games, I can confirm that he's a better player than his brother. Currently he's averaging 33.4 mpg, and 13.5 ppg on 42.1% shooting overall and 34.8% from the three. He's also shooting 73.4% from the line along with 6.4 rebounds. While you might be somewhat skeptical of his 3 pt percentage, I personally don't have any doubts that he'll be fine shooting the three in the NBA.
Without seeing him, there's a red flag for me with his rebounding. He's gone from rebound 15 rebounds in his first game down to one rebound in his last game. Granted the last game he only played nine minutes, but his rebounding been 15, 11, 8, 5 and 1 respectively in his last five games. What's up with that? Do you think this has anything to do with his thin frame?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4431671/jaden-mcdaniels

Without seeing him, there's a red flag for me with his rebounding. He's gone from rebound 15 rebounds in his first game down to one rebound in his last game. Granted the last game he only played nine minutes, but his rebounding been 15, 11, 8, 5 and 1 respectively in his last five games. What's up with that? Do you think this has anything to do with his thin frame?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4431671/jaden-mcdaniels
They run a zone, right? My guess would be they moved him to an area further from the basket.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

I don't really think it's a frame problem. My impression is that he's got a significantly better frame than his brother (who was drafted at #52 last year) and from an athletic point of view, he's all anybody could ask for.

Obviously the reason he only had one rebound in the most recent game is that he got moved out of the starting lineup and only played very limited minutes. I would guess that his drop in minutes is related to what we might call extremely questionable BBIQ (or, as I have written several times in my notes, "head case"). I've got several extremely questionable things that I've noted from his play. In his most recent game, his team made a bad pass that went into the backcourt - it was bound to be a backcourt violation. But instead of picking up the ball, he waited and "baited" the opponent into picking up the ball first in an attempt to make a steal. Whoops, he got called for a foul instead, giving up FTs. Then, on the next possession, he jacked up a bad quick three as if to make up for it. He got yanked shortly after that and I'm not sure he played any more. But there's more! In a prior game he got called for a technical from the bench because after the ball bounced to him, he threw it at an opponent's head. In a different game he put a player in a headlock for a flagrant foul. And in yet another game, he tried to shoulder into a legal defender on a jumper to get a foul call (he hit the shot anyway). When he didn't get a foul call, he was barking at the official on his way up the court and not watching the play while his opponent literally ran right past him for a layup. This is four different games I've watched, and he's done something dumb in all of them. It's a shame, because he's pretty talented, and he has a heck of a body.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

To answer your question, yes, I definitely think that has something to do with it. It's also how he's being used to some extent, playing away from the basket.. But there's no doubt that he simply gets out muscled at times. His brother had the same problem, but I think Jaden is more aggressive and more skilled overall. He's not afraid to get in and bang with the big boys, but when you weigh just under 200 lb's and your banging up against a similar height player that weighs 270, you might lose some of those battles.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't really think it's a frame problem. My impression is that he's got a significantly better frame than his brother (who was drafted at #52 last year) and from an athletic point of view, he's all anybody could ask for.

Obviously the reason he only had one rebound in the most recent game is that he got moved out of the starting lineup and only played very limited minutes. I would guess that his drop in minutes is related to what we might call extremely questionable BBIQ (or, as I have written several times in my notes, "head case"). I've got several extremely questionable things that I've noted from his play. In his most recent game, his team made a bad pass that went into the backcourt - it was bound to be a backcourt violation. But instead of picking up the ball, he waited and "baited" the opponent into picking up the ball first in an attempt to make a steal. Whoops, he got called for a foul instead, giving up FTs. Then, on the next possession, he jacked up a bad quick three as if to make up for it. He got yanked shortly after that and I'm not sure he played any more. But there's more! In a prior game he got called for a technical from the bench because after the ball bounced to him, he threw it at an opponent's head. In a different game he put a player in a headlock for a flagrant foul. And in yet another game, he tried to shoulder into a legal defender on a jumper to get a foul call (he hit the shot anyway). When he didn't get a foul call, he was barking at the official on his way up the court and not watching the play while his opponent literally ran right past him for a layup. This is four different games I've watched, and he's done something dumb in all of them. It's a shame, because he's pretty talented, and he has a heck of a body.
Yep, don't disagree with anything you said. But so far he hasn't pulled a Marcus Smart, gone up into the audience and tried to punch a fan. I think he's talented, but he's not number one on my list of possible/probables when the Kings pick. As you know, Smart was one of my least favorite players coming out of college, but I have to admit (reluctantly) that I was wrong about him. He's turned himself into a very good player.

By the way, while I'm on that subject, I want to send some congrats to Coach Calipari for turning Nick Richards into an actual basketball player. Two years ago I would have bet my life that it wasn't possible, and here he is now in the running for SEC player of the year. Well done!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whereas the Kings have seven 2nd rd picks over the next two drafts, I thought I'd highlight a few players that I like. One such player is Killian Tillie, the 6'10" PF from Gonazga. Tillie should be a huge steal in the 2nd rd. I say should because his college career has been hampered by injuries. He only played in 15 games last season. Throw in that he's a senior, and he slides down the draft board. Make no mistake, if Killian was 19 years old and healthy, with his skill set, he'd be a lottery pick.

This season in 24.6 mpg, he's averaging 13.3 ppg while shooting 50.3% overall, and 39.1% from the three. While 39.3% is very good, his career average for all 4 years is 44.6%. So yes, he's a very good 3 pt shooter. He can also score in the post, and in a variety of ways. His game will remind you of Bjelica a little bit with little floaters, flip shots and 5 to 6 foot hook shots. I'd say he's an average rebounder averaging 5.3 a game along with 2.1 assists, 1.2 steals, and 1 blk a game. He also shot 73.0% from the line.

He's a decent to good defender unless isolated on the perimeter against a smaller, quicker player. And I don't think there's any doubt that his injuries have robbed him of some of his athleticism. Still, as skilled as he is, if you can keep him healthy, I can see him as a valuable rotational bench player. Did I mention that he's a very good passer with excellent BBIQ. Here's a short video:

Here's another video which will explain some of his injuries. By the way, Tillie is French, and also a terrific volleyball player. His father is the coach of the French National Volleyball team, and is mother is also a nationally known volleyball player. Hmmm, so was Wilt and Akeem. Hmmm!

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's been a rumor going around for some time, and today it was mentioned again briefly on twitter, which is, that Vlade has his eye on a Serbian player that could be there in the 2nd rd, although some boards have him going at the bottom of the 1st rd. In that case Vlade would probably have to combine a couple of 2nd's and move up into the 1st rd.

The player I'm referring to is Aleksej Pokusevski, (try letting that roll off your tongue) a 7 foot, 210 lb PF/SF. After watching hours of film on him I can guarantee you that he's not another Papagiannis. He's a fairly skilled player who at times looks like he's still getting used to his 7 foot body. He's a decent to good athlete with what appears to be a big wingspan. As a result, he's a good post defender who seems to have very good shotblocking intincts.

He has pretty good handles for a 7 footer and can score around the basket with a variety of shots. He also has a nice looking jumpshot which he uses all the way out to and beyond the 3pt line. While he's only shooting 33% from the three, you can see the potential for improvement. I'll be posting two videos, and the first one is from around 2 years ago with the 2nd one being 8 months ago. If you watch carefully you can see some improvement to his form on his jumpshot, and that he's obviously added some muscle to his thin body.

As I said, after watching a lot of film on him, I think there's something there, and if you can get him with a 2nd rd pick, he could be a steal. He has good BBIQ, and is also a very good passer

This video is actually from 11 months ago, and he was 17 years old at the time...

There's been a rumor going around for some time, and today it was mentioned again briefly on twitter, which is, that Vlade has his eye on a Serbian player that could be there in the 2nd rd, although some boards have him going at the bottom of the 1st rd. In that case Vlade would probably have to combine a couple of 2nd's and move up into the 1st rd.

The player I'm referring to is Aleksej Pokusevski, (try letting that roll off your tongue) a 7 foot, 210 lb PF/SF. After watching hours of film on him I can guarantee you that he's not another Papagiannis. He's a fairly skilled player who at times looks like he's still getting used to his 7 foot body. He's a decent to good athlete with what appears to be a big wingspan. As a result, he's a good post defender who seems to have very good shotblocking intincts.

He has pretty good handles for a 7 footer and can score around the basket with a variety of shots. He also has a nice looking jumpshot which he uses all the way out to and beyond the 3pt line. While he's only shooting 33% from the three, you can see the potential for improvement. I'll be posting two videos, and the first one is from around 2 years ago with the 2nd one being 8 months ago. If you watch carefully you can see some improvement to his form on his jumpshot, and that he's obviously added some muscle to his thin body.

As I said, after watching a lot of film on him, I think there's something there, and if you can get him with a 2nd rd pick, he could be a steal. He has good BBIQ, and is also a very good passer

This video is actually from 11 months ago, and he was 17 years old at the time...

Thanks for posting. That kid is nice! Looks like a riser to me. I’d guess late lottery by the time it’s all said and done. It’s a high variance draft. A true 7’ with that handle is going to rocket up the boards.

Whereas the Kings have seven 2nd rd picks over the next two drafts, I thought I'd highlight a few players that I like. One such player is Killian Tillie, the 6'10" PF from Gonazga. Tillie should be a huge steal in the 2nd rd. I say should because his college career has been hampered by injuries. He only played in 15 games last season. Throw in that he's a senior, and he slides down the draft board. Make no mistake, if Killian was 19 years old and healthy, with his skill set, he'd be a lottery pick.

This season in 24.6 mpg, he's averaging 13.3 ppg while shooting 50.3% overall, and 39.1% from the three. While 39.3% is very good, his career average for all 4 years is 44.6%. So yes, he's a very good 3 pt shooter. He can also score in the post, and in a variety of ways. His game will remind you of Bjelica a little bit with little floaters, flip shots and 5 to 6 foot hook shots. I'd say he's an average rebounder averaging 5.3 a game along with 2.1 assists, 1.2 steals, and 1 blk a game. He also shot 73.0% from the line.

He's a decent to good defender unless isolated on the perimeter against a smaller, quicker player. And I don't think there's any doubt that his injuries have robbed him of some of his athleticism. Still, as skilled as he is, if you can keep him healthy, I can see him as a valuable rotational bench player. Did I mention that he's a very good passer with excellent BBIQ. Here's a short video:

Here's another video which will explain some of his injuries. By the way, Tillie is French, and also a terrific volleyball player. His father is the coach of the French National Volleyball team, and is mother is also a nationally known volleyball player. Hmmm, so was Wilt and Akeem. Hmmm!

Is Tillie a Bjelica replacement type player?

This video is actually from 11 months ago, and he was 17 years old at the time...The last time I watched him was in a Euro under something tourney and his passing blew me away I thought at first he was Serbian KD but he's different (not saying he will be Kd)his talent is unreal.
I mentioned him to you last year the guy has the vision of Jokic and amazing skill set if he can even get a normal human frame he's going to be unreal.
The passes he makes are very Jokic like where he waits than split 2nd to open up his man

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

Baja, any concerns about that jack-knife jumper he has? He releases so far out in front it seems like it should be easy to block him. He certainly gets his shot off in the highlight tapes, but have you seen any game tape that shows defenses taking advantage of that?

Baja, any concerns about that jack-knife jumper he has? He releases so far out in front it seems like it should be easy to block him. He certainly gets his shot off in the highlight tapes, but have you seen any game tape that shows defenses taking advantage of that?
There are game tapes of him on youtube on the FIBA channel from last years Euro championships if you would want to watch for yourself, I was very impressed watching him from those I didn't go that in depth on his shooting form sadly. I would also add that his favorite move and he's got a nasty one is the behind the back dribble which he really does like a PG/SG.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
There are game tapes of him on youtube on the FIBA channel from last years Euro championships if you would want to watch for yourself, I was very impressed watching him from those I didn't go that in depth on his shooting form sadly. I would also add that his favorite move and he's got a nasty one is the behind the back dribble which he really does like a PG/SG.
I'll try to find some when I get a chance, thanks!

That’s the older video, I believe. His form has improved a lot, much smoother. Motor seems to be the only potentially unfixable negative mentioned by scouting services like The Stepien. I get squeamish about motor issues with a 7’—does he love the game or just play because he’s tall and it’s a neat way to make a few million? But, the skills are so well developed that I assume it’s more demeanor/personality/immaturity, and the motor issues will fade when playing for senior professional sides.

Having said that—it’d be really nice if, just one time, we could draft the insanely competitive guy who is an absolute maniac about winning everything.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No, so far I haven't seen anyone block his jump shot. I do think his shot needs some refinement, and I think as he gets stronger some of that will occur naturally. I think a lot of these bad habits begin when these kids are too young and not strong enough to be shooting three's. But that's an discussion for another day. Anyway, I think being 7 foot tall certainly helps, and remember he plays in a 2nd tier pro league. There's some talent there though. He's still very young..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, there were times when I thought he got a little loose with the ball, but then I had to remind myself that he was 7 feet tall. He has a pretty decent cross over as well. But that behind his back cross over is nasty and you don't expect it from a player that tall and that young.

Yeah, there were times when I thought he got a little loose with the ball, but then I had to remind myself that he was 7 feet tall. He has a pretty decent cross over as well. But that behind his back cross over is nasty and you don't expect it from a player that tall and that young.
His improvement from the u16's (where he looked like he shouldn't be on the court at all) to u18's where he was by far the best player on the team has been pretty amazing as well.

I've seen him about 4-5 times and I'm getting to the point where I'm convinced on C Isaiah Stewart out of Washington. Only 6'9" but a big 100% lean athletic body at about 260 pounds with a 7'4" wingspan means he's not at all undersized. He's a true back to the basket player with super soft touch on the rim and Kawhi-sized mitts to catch any entry pass. Had a heck of a game tonight against Colorado with 23/8/4 blocks on 9/12 shooting. I know that out of Washington McDaniels has the higher draft stock, but I'm pretty convinced Stewart will be the better pro. Currently mocks seem to have him a bit outside of the lottery (shocking to me) so it's not a reach he's going to be available when we pick, wherever we pick. I think he's an ideal back to the basket complement to Bagley as a face-up 4. If you told me right now he's the guy we draft this year, I'll take it.
He was one of the few players I really paid attention to coming out of high school and I still like him. My choice ATM would be Isaiah Stewart. On NBAdraft.net he's ranked like 18 or something ludicrous. I kind of like their Antonio Davis comp but I see some similarities to another former 33 in Alonzo Mourning. He's not as graceful as Zo but he has similar face up potential and a physical workmans type of back to the basket game.

He and Wendell Moore Jr. are the only players I've seen so far that really pass the eye test for me.

Are you interested in a 6'9" PG? There's going to be one in the coming draft, although he's listed on most draft boards as a SF. I'm speaking of Deni Avdija, who many are touting as the next big European star. He's not quite there yet, but if you watch him play, you can see the talent. He plays with an air of confidence that's rare in 19 year old's. Many talk a good game, but shrink once on the court. Not Avdija. Your either going to love him or hate him, depending on which team your on.
I really like Avdija, but the Luka comparisons are not doing him a favor. His handles are not as advanced, and he misses the excellent body control Luka has.
An intruiging propspect, though. I do think this team can use such an infusion of BBIQ.

I really like Avdija, but the Luka comparisons are not doing him a favor. His handles are not as advanced, and he misses the excellent body control Luka has.
An intruiging propspect, though. I do think this team can use such an infusion of BBIQ.
Would you say he's closer to Saric than Luka (maybe between the 2)??

That could be a good description, although I have not followed Saric that much.

My main point is that a comparison to a generational talent is always a dangerous thing, even when using the "lite" qualification.
Always gives me Harold Miner vibes.

He's not similar to Luka and he's even further from Saric. I'm not sure why you feel the need to try to shoehorn him into a European comparison. If you absolutely had to do so, probably the most fitting comparison would be Hezonja. Athletic, skilled, can do a little bit of everything, but it's completely up in the air whether he will put it together. He's still just a talent at this point. He seems to have a better mental makeup than Hezonja so I'd be hopeful that he becomes a significantly better player than him, but Luka he is not.

He's a very interesting prospect but I can't help but feel like people are wishing him into being similar to a certain someone, in order to make themselves feel better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He's not similar to Luka and he's even further from Saric. I'm not sure why you feel the need to try to shoehorn him into a European comparison. If you absolutely had to do so, probably the most fitting comparison would be Hezonja. Athletic, skilled, can do a little bit of everything, but it's completely up in the air whether he will put it together. He's still just a talent at this point. He seems to have a better mental makeup than Hezonja so I'd be hopeful that he becomes a significantly better player than him, but Luka he is not.

He's a very interesting prospect but I can't help but feel like people are wishing him into being similar to a certain someone, in order to make themselves feel better.
I agree 100%. There's no doubt that he's talented, and I think his floor is probably higher than Hezonja's ceiling at this point, but you never know. To say that he might be the next European player to make a splash in the NBA doesn't make him Doncic. I have no idea how Saric even gets into the conversation. I would say that I'm higher on him than I was Hezonja at the same point in time. But the bottom line is, he's a prospect, and a young one, so you never know.